Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59584 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #184: Jan 03, 2015 09:39:23 am
      You never know what might happen from now to May
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #185: Jan 03, 2015 09:47:29 am
      You never know what might happen from now to May

Indeed, you only have to look at the example of Xavi who changed his mind and stayed at barcelona
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #186: Jan 03, 2015 09:49:22 am
      Very sentimental club this, being loyal to an amazing player is just, but come on people we have to get ruthless. All I've seen is people go on about his performances and lack of ability these days. This is the best solution. Takes it out the managers hands, no backlash from him or fans. no dressing room weirdness.
      Megabucks to SG and a nice change of scenery in America for him and his family. It's good for everyone.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #187: Jan 03, 2015 09:53:30 am
      Many say there is only one word that describes Steven Gerrard...

LEGEND

Also, many say that only one word describes Federer ...

KUNT !

You do realize that the only reason this is happening is because Stevie wants more quid, right?

I mean it's not like the club didn't offer him a new contract at ALL.  He just wanted more quid than they were offering. 

Essentially this is all about money.  And yet you find Stevie to be the sheep without blemish in the situation.  He's currently on £140,000 a week.  He wanted a raise.  A raise.  Even if he took a paycut, he could still earn £100,000 a week.  And yet he thinks he is above those measly wages.

If you're really gutted about him leaving, why don't you ask the question of HIM?  "Stevie, why is £100,000 quid a week not enough for you to stay at your beloved club?  Is it really worth leaving the club that worshipped you your whole adult life just so you can make a little bit more money at some retirement home in the States?"

How come no one asks this question?  Why is it all Rodgers and FSG's fault?
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 60 
      Reply #188: Jan 03, 2015 10:06:37 am
      Essentially this is all about money.  And yet you find Stevie to be the sheep without blemish in the situation.  He's currently on £140,000 a week.  He wanted a raise.  A raise.
      Just wondering if you know him personally ? that's a pretty bold statement saying he wanted more money,he's a millionaire many times over,he dosn't need money,stop talking out of your arse and show the man some respect ffs
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #189: Jan 03, 2015 10:09:32 am
      I have to say, I find the reaction to Stevie saying he's leaving to be very weird.  People are acting like someone died or something.  He is leaving; so what would have been the... opposite?  if he had signed a contract extension?  Well, he is past it.  He is slow.  He drifts in and out of games (and that's being kind).  Often times he is invisible.  He is a liability in midfield as he doesn't have the pace (even when he's well rested) to keep up with our speed in attack, and yet when he is sat further back in a holding position he doesn't have the pace to protect the back four and he gets blown by again and again during the game as if he isn't even there.

So the other possibility would have been for him to stay another few years, and play less and less while still earning exorbitant amounts of quid.  He's currently the highest earner at the club on £140,000 a week.  He wanted a raise on that.  He wanted to earn even MORE money, whilst showing that he is years past his best.  For comparison, Coutinho is on about £60K a week, Sterling is on £40K a week, and Markovic is on £35K a week.  So Stevie currently makes more than those three combined despite contributing less than any of them individually.  And he wanted a RAISE.  I'm really sorry but he doesn't deserve it.  Unless suddenly we are going to be handing out contracts for sentimental purposes.  "Sure, you won't contribute much, but you're a legend so here, have £150,000 quid a week, just for the hell of it."  That is the exact kind of financial suicide that nearly saw our club go under only a few years back.

So, Stevie is leaving the club.  It's his decision.  He contributes very little on the pitch and anyone who talks about us missing his "leadership" qualities probably only started watching us yesterday.  He is the quietest captain of anyone in the league.  And if you will say "he's the 'lead by example' type," well, his "example" has been piss poor for quite some time now, so that doesn't work either (not to mention the fact that the whole squad wanted him to speak up under H&G but he was too afraid and didn't want to rock the boat according to Carra). 

The constant pressure to fit him somewhere into the team despite his clearly being past it is going to be the death of us, look at Leicester, we had a nice setup against Swansea, but then Gerrard came back into the team, so that meant Manquillo got benched because Henderson had to play RB, it meant there was one less mobile player in midfield, and suddenly a dynamic team looks stuck in the mud---all because there is some rule written in stone that Stevie has to start.  it's ridiculous.

He is a legend and arguably the club's greatest ever player although I think Kenny pips him to that, just.  But the moaning and wailing about us not being able to replace him and this is a tragedy is way over the top.  If we're talking about the Gerrard of 2005, yes, it would be hard to replace him.  But the reality is we have been playing without that Gerrard for several years now.  So him leaving isn't going to change anything in that department.

Anyway.  Celebrate what he achieved at the club.  But don't cry yourself to sleep over what we are losing because whatever you think we are losing, I can't guarantee you we already lost it years ago.

Can I just ask how you know all these facts about Stevens wage demands????
      Were you sat with Ian ayre and Stevens agent?????
      Have you got access to breeze in and out if Anfield at will ????
      Maybe John W and Tom w drop you a line or email keeping you up to speed.!!!
      Nowhere in the press or online have I seen a article reporting a wage demand from Steven Gerrard so please enlighten me with your ITK knowledge .
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #190: Jan 03, 2015 10:11:41 am
      Steven Gerrard is a legend & he probably will manage the club.
      The only way he won't is if he doesn't want to.

He has announced his departure for one reason only.
      He doesn't want the speculation disrupting Brendans job.
      That says everything you need to need to know about the man.

Steven knows he's no longer able to command a starting position & he knows
      being there is putting Brendan under more pressure.
      He has announced he will leave a  the end of the season to allow Brendan to be
      able to do his job more effectively.
      This just proves even further his love for the club.

Total legend who doesn't need praise from anyone anywhere for anything he has ever done.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #191: Jan 03, 2015 10:14:35 am
      Federer you don't know the first thing about Gerrards contract
      So why be disrespectful pretending you do?
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #192: Jan 03, 2015 10:24:52 am
      Still waiting for Feds Indepth knowledge of Steven Gerrards wage demands????
      Baited breath and all that .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #193: Jan 03, 2015 10:45:16 am
      Gerrard didn't want a raise. Word is he was offered less than half his salary on a one year deal. It is probably fair enough. I don't think his performances this season merit much more.

I think the reason Gerrard is leaving is simple. He knows we are nowhere near winning a title and wants to taste football in a different league with a different club. Essentially it is time for both parties to move on. If he has gone for the money then I hope he makes a F***ing fortune.

Please don't let that sad hermit federer derail this thread by giving him the attention he so clearly can't get in his real life.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #194: Jan 03, 2015 11:07:22 am
      Considering the SAS are no longer available there is no need for Stevie in the deep lying role as we know he cant provide the defensive cover that Lucas does better.
      So the only other place for him is further forward as a number 10 and in that position I would rather have Countinho or Raheem.

You still haven't listed the players at the club who are better than him though mate, I am very interested to hear how many there are in your opinion? Given you have said it is foolish to say he is the still e best player at the club, who is better?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #195: Jan 03, 2015 11:10:26 am

You do realize that the only reason this is happening is because Stevie wants more quid, right?

I mean it's not like the club didn't offer him a new contract at ALL.  He just wanted more quid than they were offering. 

Essentially this is all about money.  And yet you find Stevie to be the sheep without blemish in the situation.  He's currently on £140,000 a week.  He wanted a raise.  A raise.  Even if he took a paycut, he could still earn £100,000 a week.  And yet he thinks he is above those measly wages.

If you're really gutted about him leaving, why don't you ask the question of HIM?  "Stevie, why is £100,000 quid a week not enough for you to stay at your beloved club?  Is it really worth leaving the club that worshipped you your whole adult life just so you can make a little bit more money at some retirement home in the States?"

Was going to bite my tongue, but clearly you're just a WUM of the highest magnitude.

There is no way Stevie left over a matter such as wages. You know it, I know it, the whole world knows it.

If you can't do the decent thing and pay homage to possibly our best ever player, then do the next best thing and kindly keep your opinion to yourself.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #196: Jan 03, 2015 11:25:00 am
      Still waiting for Feds Indepth knowledge of Steven Gerrards wage demands????
      Baited breath and all that .

Seems like you will be waiting a long time

He has stated about a dozen times in the last day that he knows Steven wants more money.. He has been asked how he knows by several people but fails to answer...

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #197: Jan 03, 2015 11:50:42 am
      Seems like you will be waiting a long time

He has stated about a dozen times in the last day that he knows Steven wants more money.. He has been asked how he knows by several people but fails to answer...

Yup he is a clear Wum sat behind his desk with all his man utd jizz covered pictures desperately trying to come up with some bollocks to cover his bullshit.

But still I await.:-)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #198: Jan 03, 2015 11:57:04 am
      Yup he is a clear Wum sat behind his desk with all his man utd jizz covered pictures desperately trying to come up with some bollocks to cover his bullshit.

Literally and metaphorically that is a horrific image.

Thanks for that.  :o :o
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #199: Jan 03, 2015 12:01:05 pm
      I tell you one thing when people talk about him and what he is like on and off the field just listen to and read what the players say about him.. Past and present

They love him as a man and as a player

Says it all for me rather than what some bitter F**k fans say
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #200: Jan 03, 2015 12:01:58 pm
      I just read this and thought I'd put a few quotes from Luis in here, remarkable reading.

The 3rd last one I don't understand...where he is says "something clicked inside my head" .....huh??? The rest are magnificent.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #201: Jan 03, 2015 12:07:00 pm
      Literally and metaphorically that is a horrific image.

Thanks for that.  :o :o

Apologies for that,but,I really need to know how he gets this information/utter sh*t.
      He's got to reply sometime soon or he is shown up for the Wum/bullshitter a lot of people think he is .
      Again watching this space.!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #202: Jan 03, 2015 12:07:22 pm

If you look at the situation and think it is about anything OTHER than money then you are incredibly naive.

Now that Suarez is gone Stevie has gone back to being the highest paid player at the club by far. 

There are two realities: 1) he is past it and 2) FSG pay players the wages they believe they deserve.  They paid Suarez more than £200K a week because  they knew he deserved it.

They will not pay Stevie his current wages in his next contract because quite clearly he does not deserve it.  He has no pace anymore, he is not physical enough to be a solid DM, he goes missing etc.  He is not the player he once was.

And yet, we know the club made him an offer.  He loves the club and the city.  He always said he wanted to be a one club player.

So, the only logical conclusion is that he felt that the offer made by the club wasn't good enough, i.e., NOT ENOUGH MONEY, and that he would make more quid elsewhere.

It doesn't take a genius to see what is going on here.  There's no other reason for him to leave.  And don't give me the bollocks about him not getting on with Rodgers, he didn't get on with Rafa either but he didn't throw his toys out the pram and leave.

The reality is Stevie wants to be paid for being the player he was in 2005 while not actually being able to play like he did in 2005.

If you think there is some other reason other than money that he would leave his boyhood club to go live it up on a beach in the States, then I would love to know what it is.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #203: Jan 03, 2015 12:07:39 pm
      I just read this and thought I'd put a few quotes from Luis in here, remarkable reading.

The 3rd last one I don't understand...where he is says "something clicked inside my head" .....huh??? The rest are magnificent.

I presume he means the summer before with all the Arsenal stuff that summer.

Gerrard convinced him to stay that season
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #204: Jan 03, 2015 12:19:07 pm

Well Fed. All down to wages is it?

Word has it, LA Galaxy are prepared to pay Stevie 100k a week. That's apparently considerably less than he's currently receiving.

Which tells me he's leaving for reasons other than money. Play time for example, or perhaps a more telling reason would be selling our stars and not adequately replacing them, which after coming so close to realising his ultimate dream last season, may have been the final nail in the coffin.

But most definitely NOT money...

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #205: Jan 03, 2015 12:21:02 pm
      If you look at the situation and think it is about anything OTHER than money then you are incredibly naive.

Now that Suarez is gone Stevie has gone back to being the highest paid player at the club by far. 

There are two realities: 1) he is past it and 2) FSG pay players the wages they believe they deserve.  They paid Suarez more than £200K a week because  they knew he deserved it.

They will not pay Stevie his current wages in his next contract because quite clearly he does not deserve it.  He has no pace anymore, he is not physical enough to be a solid DM, he goes missing etc.  He is not the player he once was.

And yet, we know the club made him an offer.  He loves the club and the city.  He always said he wanted to be a one club player.

So, the only logical conclusion is that he felt that the offer made by the club wasn't good enough, i.e., NOT ENOUGH MONEY, and that he would make more quid elsewhere.

It doesn't take a genius to see what is going on here.  There's no other reason for him to leave.  And don't give me the bollocks about him not getting on with Rodgers, he didn't get on with Rafa either but he didn't throw his toys out the pram and leave.

The reality is Stevie wants to be paid for being the player he was in 2005 while not actually being able to play like he did in 2005.

If you think there is some other reason other than money that he would leave his boyhood club to go live it up on a beach in the States, then I would love to know what it is.

Seriously lad

That's what you've got after smudging the threads in the last 24 hours with he wants a raise... Your words.. You said a raise

A

RAISE

So now you are saying he maybe wanted more than the reported 50k he was offered for the 12 months?

You are talking bollocks lad, you don't know why he has made the decision but f**k me he is a multi millionaire, I'd think money would be near the bottom of his priorities..
      Of course the owners weren't going to offer a player at 35 150k a week.. Id be utterly gobsmacked if he thought they would.

Look it's your opinion, fine, but that's all it is so stop ramming it down people's necks like it's f**king gospel..

To me he looks like he knows he is struggling because yes his legs are going.. And you know what I bet he knows that just as much as you and me do.. After the high of last season and how close he got and this seasons struggles maybe he has lost that bit of hunger and wants to go, maybe somewhere he has lost that extra 5% he needed to make him competitive.. And he fancies something else.

I bet he could earn more playing in the Middle East than anywhere... But I bet he doesn't play there...

The money he gets in the states if he goes there I bet will be more than the offer here but less than his current contract.

Now you have explained or backtracked can you please stop putting in every thread he wanted a raise

I'd rather you talk about his legs going as we can see that as a fact rather than make bollocks up

In fact though why don't you like the rest of us just thank the man for everything he has done for us rather than try to pick him apart like you are doing for some weird odd small minded reason

I'm done on this even if you reply again with your utter sh*te than you know for facts
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #206: Jan 03, 2015 12:26:06 pm
      So you are admitting he didn't want a pay rise Fed?  :f_whistle:

Quick Reply