Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 60435 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #391: Mar 24, 2015 05:45:38 pm
      Some fans prefer to listen to the likes of Keys rather than form their own opinion Debs.

True mate.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #392: Apr 03, 2015 07:37:43 pm
      The wife, for my birthday bought me 2 half season tickets to the LA Galaxy.
      I will be able to see all of Stevie's games this season when he joins them.
      Quite mixed feelings about it obviously.
      Will be great to him play for my current cities team but will be sad to see him not plying his trade for us in Red.
      Regardless will be fun.
      Also, have put the word out to all my film business friends that when he starts to make some commercials out here (which he will) then i want to be the first call to be the 1st AD on the jobs! Gonna finally be able to meet the great man!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #393: Apr 03, 2015 08:30:29 pm
      The wife, for my birthday bought me 2 half season tickets to the LA Galaxy.
      I will be able to see all of Stevie's games this season when he joins them.
      Quite mixed feelings about it obviously.
      Will be great to him play for my current cities team but will be sad to see him not plying his trade for us in Red.
      Regardless will be fun.
      Also, have put the word out to all my film business friends that when he starts to make some commercials out here (which he will) then i want to be the first call to be the 1st AD on the jobs! Gonna finally be able to meet the great man!

Top stuff Lester, be great that for you xxx I still can't believe he's leaving  :(
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #394: Apr 03, 2015 08:44:43 pm
      I still can't believe he's leaving

He'll be back when the MLS season finishes ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #395: Apr 03, 2015 08:46:50 pm
      He'll be back when the MLS season finishes ;)

You reckon?? If Alex lets him  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #396: Apr 03, 2015 08:50:59 pm
      You reckon?? If Alex lets him  ;D

I'd like to think so. Pfft, Alex who?! Your the real MsG ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #397: Apr 03, 2015 08:54:43 pm
      I'd like to think so. Pfft, Alex who?! Your the real MsG ;)

Ha ha ha love it hun  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #398: Apr 04, 2015 01:05:13 am
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #399: Apr 04, 2015 03:41:46 am
      The way things are I reckon Stevie and Carra will be the last we see of long serving local Liverpool lads playing for our club. The two of them have served the club well and it is just a pity they did not get a league champions medal to show for their effort. Thank you Stevie and Carra for not only representing L.F.C. but the City of Liverpool as well  with 100 % dedication. You did us proud.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #400: Apr 04, 2015 04:10:22 pm
      People who don't believe we'll miss even the current version of Stevie should be made to watch today's game in slow-motion on an endless loop.

Every game matters. And in every game - every minute matters.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #401: Apr 04, 2015 04:11:50 pm
      People who don't believe we'll miss even the current version of Stevie should be made to watch today's game in slow-motion on an endless loop.

Every game matters. And in every game - every minute matters.

Most would have wanted Stevie to stay and be used as a sub or in certain games mate but Gerrard wasn't happy to do that and expected to still play every game.

His own decision.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #402: Apr 04, 2015 04:21:28 pm
      Most would have wanted Stevie to stay and be used as a sub or in certain games mate but Gerrard wasn't happy to do that and expected to still play every game.

His own decision.

Another debate mate - and one we could still disagree on all day. You've always been clear and consistent on Stevie and I respect that.

The need for more character was my point. Too many of our players clock off on days like today.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #403: Apr 04, 2015 04:25:09 pm
      The way things are I reckon Stevie and Carra will be the last we see of long serving local Liverpool lads playing for our club. The two of them have served the club well and it is just a pity they did not get a league champions medal to show for their effort. Thank you Stevie and Carra for not only representing L.F.C. but the City of Liverpool as well  with 100 % dedication. You did us proud.
      Today only compounds the fact mate all we've spent and we have no one even remotely close to him 60%  Stevie would smash most of our midfield .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #404: Apr 04, 2015 05:15:36 pm
      Another debate mate - and one we could still disagree on all day. You've always been clear and consistent on Stevie and I respect that.

The need for more character was my point. Too many of our players clock off on days like today.

I agree mate and his character in the squad would be a huge benefit and one I would have wanted but the fact us Gerrard didn't want to be that squad player and decided to move on.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Thank You Steven Gerrard
      Reply #405: May 15, 2015 08:17:10 am
      On the eve of his last home game for Liverpool I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread discussing the man, the player and his contribution to Liverpool Football Club (feel free to move this to the Steven Gerrard Player thread).

It's probably no exaggeration to say we will never ever see his likes again. A local lad that became the best player for Liverpool FC for over a decade and for two seasons, became the best player on the planet (with former players like Henry and Zidane saying so).

We're going to miss his drive, his leadership, his passing and is presence. His legs may have gone, but let's not forget Steven Gerrard in his pomp was untouchable.

Some of his goals were breathtaking and a lot of folk talk about his goal against Panathinaikos in the 05' Champions League or the goal he scored against WHU in the FA Cup final. But for me, the goal I'll always remember him for, was the header he scored against AC Milan in the 05' final. It set the tone for the rest of the match and instilled belief in everyone - and the rest is history. It was also one of the best directed headers I've ever seen.

I may be mistaken, but I think Gerrard has played in every position for us apart from goalkeeper. Not only that, but he was brilliant in those positions too. Like when he was moved to right back in the 05' final to counter the attacking threat from Cafu (I think it was). And it worked perfectly.

We're going to miss Stevie G. He was quite simply a colossus for us.

Very best of luck in whatever you do

YNWA

PS: 5 times
      « Last Edit: May 15, 2015 08:54:18 am by Rush »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Thank You Steven Gerrard
      Reply #406: May 15, 2015 09:32:56 am
      On the eve of his last home game for Liverpool I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread discussing the man, the player and his contribution to Liverpool Football Club (feel free to move this to the Steven Gerrard Player thread).

It's probably no exaggeration to say we will never ever see his likes again. A local lad that became the best player for Liverpool FC for over a decade and for two seasons, became the best player on the planet (with former players like Henry and Zidane saying so).

We're going to miss his drive, his leadership, his passing and is presence. His legs may have gone, but let's not forget Steven Gerrard in his pomp was untouchable.

Some of his goals were breathtaking and a lot of folk talk about his goal against Panathinaikos in the 05' Champions League or the goal he scored against WHU in the FA Cup final. But for me, the goal I'll always remember him for, was the header he scored against AC Milan in the 05' final. It set the tone for the rest of the match and instilled belief in everyone - and the rest is history. It was also one of the best directed headers I've ever seen.

I may be mistaken, but I think Gerrard has played in every position for us apart from goalkeeper. Not only that, but he was brilliant in those positions too. Like when he was moved to right back in the 05' final to counter the attacking threat from Cafu (I think it was). And it worked perfectly.

YNWA

Always thought he was a bit over rated myself..... :f_tongueincheek: :f_tongueincheek: :f_tongueincheek:

I'm sure Tina Turner wrote the song for him - simply the best better than all the rest better than anyone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #407: May 15, 2015 11:18:35 am
      Quite simply the best player I've seen in the shirt and I'd guess many would say the same.

I like to remember the Gerrard from the Rafa era as this was when he was at the pinnacle of his game and at times was simply unplayable.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #408: May 15, 2015 03:13:01 pm
      My favorite Liverpool player. Didn't get the privilege to see some of the other greats play during their time but I can't imagine that there are many better than our Captain.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #409: May 15, 2015 03:25:51 pm

YNWA

Very nice OP.

It's been a pleasure watching Stevie throughout his Liverpool career and it's only because I'm old enough to remember King Kenny in his pomp, that Gerrard is the second best player I've seen in the red shirt.

I'd like to wish Steven all the best in Los Angeles and I hope to see him back at Anfield one day, preferably as the manager.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #410: May 15, 2015 05:53:32 pm
      Been reading articles, watching videos, pics and it's breaking my F***ing heart. Thought since he gave us time to get used to the idea of him leaving it would be easier but it's not.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #411: May 15, 2015 06:14:30 pm
      Topics merged.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #412: May 15, 2015 06:26:47 pm
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #413: May 15, 2015 06:49:21 pm
      It probably won't sink in fully till he's gone. And not available to line up in the Red shirt anymore.
      WHAT a player, and how loyal has he been to LFC. The don't make em like SG anymore.
      Legend is an overused term, but over time, think it'll become more and more apparent how appropriate it is in Stevie's case.
      Sad that it'll (probably) be his last competitive game at Anfield for LFC, but hope the fans at the game tomorrow give him a great sendoff.

Quick Reply