Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59489 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #92: Jan 02, 2015 10:18:43 am
      This thread has bought a wee tear to my eye. A sad day indeed.

The word Legend is thrown around these days too easily. This Man, our Captain deserves the Title of Legend, in spades.

One of the greatest players I have ever had the pleasure of gracing a football pitch.

I wish circumstances were different and he played out his remaining days at his boyhood Club but Stevie has other ideas and I'd never begrudge him that. Wherever you go and whatever you do Stevie, I wish you and your family the best that life can bring.

Come back and visit whenever you can, you will always be welcome with open arms.

Oi Brendan....make sure you let the Man play his 700th game and I hope above hope that we win the Europa League, The FA Cup and the League Cup for ya Stevie so you can add another 3 trophies to your cabinet.

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #93: Jan 02, 2015 10:21:02 am
      Sad
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #94: Jan 02, 2015 10:22:33 am

"Is he the best in the world?

He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be.
      He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief.

You can't learn that – players like him are just born with that presence."

Zinedine Zidane on Gerrard, 2009 .
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #95: Jan 02, 2015 10:26:47 am
      Stevie has not only been one of the best players this club has ever had, he's been one of the best players this country has ever produced. To remain world class for so long, and single handedly being responsible for pulling mediocre teams out of the sh*t so often is incredible.

Whatever joys I've experienced throughout my life as a fan of this club, I owe most of it him, and for that, I'd forever be greatful to the man.

Stevie, after the suffering and humiliation of the 90s, you came along and gave us our pride and voice back. YNWA lad.

Legend!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #96: Jan 02, 2015 10:26:58 am

condenado
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #97: Jan 02, 2015 10:31:40 am
      Too much time since my last reply on forum. Since then I left my country and I am living in London now and I havent to much time to write in the forum. But today I felt something different. In my entire life I'm watching LFC and support it as well. One of the first Lfc's matches that I watched was Stevie's debut. I can't imagine this team without the number 8 and the armdand in someone else's arm.

Captain, THANK YOU for everything. I have no words (especially in english :P) to explain my feelings. We lost too many good players within your career in LFC like Xabi, Suarez, Mascherano, Nino, but always we replaced them, many times with better many times with worth players, but I can't think anyone to replace you. Special thanks for the goal against the scums in 2001 in fa cup. Was my first trophy as an active liverpool fan.

You're a RED through and through
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 12:20:12 pm by condenado »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #98: Jan 02, 2015 10:33:02 am
      Just found this one, thought I'd throw it in...the Man should have been a Clairevoyant!  ;)

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #99: Jan 02, 2015 10:54:56 am
      Just found this one, thought I'd throw it in...the Man should have been a Clairevoyant!  ;)

That...is awesome :) He's achieved his ambition and then some...

Thanks for sharing sir.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #100: Jan 02, 2015 11:03:56 am
      Well Stevie lad, it's been an honour, a privilege and a pleasure watching you grace some of the biggest stages in world football but the time has come for you to spread your wings and experience something new. 

Thank you for your loyalty, passion, strength, courage, goals, assists, those beautiful free kicks, the nerves of steel and most of all for making so many Reds happy.  Help us make this a season we will always remember and not just because it's your last, go win us some trophies  :clap:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #101: Jan 02, 2015 11:21:40 am
      I have to say, I find the reaction to Stevie saying he's leaving to be very weird.
      But surely that says more about you and your mindset than it does about others? The very fact that you felt the need 'to be Fed', mock how others feel and proceed to ridicule the man says more about you than anyone else could. Because you find it "weird" doesn't mean it is fella. You can't be that lacking in self awareness.

People are acting like someone died or something...

But the moaning and wailing about us not being able to replace him and this is a tragedy is way over the top.  If we're talking about the Gerrard of 2005, yes, it would be hard to replace him.  But the reality is we have been playing without that Gerrard for several years now.  So him leaving isn't going to change anything in that department.

You are right Fed; no one has died and, yes, he's not the Gerrard of 2005.

Listen; I don't know if you have lost someone you love [a parent perhaps] and watched them die after a long illness - hopefully not. They aren't the person they were 5 or 10 years previous. I would hope that this fact won't stop you mourning and remembering all that they were.

And a word of advice... if or when that time comes; even if you don't care for that person because they aren't the person they were 10 years ago and even if you don't share the emotions that, maybe, your siblings are showing... keep it to yourself: try to understand. When the time comes it'll stop you looking like a ball-bag Fed.

Stevie's leaving is the end of an era; an era which brought way, way, more good and lasting memories than bad. Memories of that whole era are why people are having difficulties in coming to terms with what's unfolding. You might not, [in your own "look at me, I'm Fed, I'm controversial"] have the social skills or intelligence to appreciate that but it doesn't mean it's "weird". Far from it.

Steven Gerrard - A proper legend who's story will be written in large, bold letters every time future generations speak of our illustrious past. Sad to see him go? Of course I F***ing am.

Unlike you; I came to praise Caesar not bury him so I'm getting the F**k out of here now.    xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #102: Jan 02, 2015 11:23:07 am
      I've calmed down now, so I best apologise first to anyone I offended before.

Stevie G is going to be hugely missed and is irreplaceable. Simple as that.

The only nugget of comfort in all this is we had the very best of him for so long. No other team will ever get what we had.

All the best Stevie...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #103: Jan 02, 2015 11:43:14 am
      He's been forced out you Muppet. I remember when our club legends saw out their playing days. Obviously his complete loyalty means nothing to you. Given the CHOICE, he'd choose Liverpool over MLS...

Is he F**k.

He has been offered a new deal by the club so he has every option to stay and finish his career here. Why wouldn't he want to travel across to America, I imagine it's an exciting new chapter in his career where he knows he can cope in their league. He has become a passenger in games now unfortunately and unless we are willing to change our formation (again) to completely accommodate for him, then he cannot play every game; moreover if he did play every game he runs the risk of serious injury. How many 35 year old centre midfields can you name off the top of your head right now...

Steven Gerrard has made 19 appearances this season! To put that into perspective that's 1 less than the maximum anyone else has made, and at 35 he's being used in the same way that younger, fitter midfielders are. Forced out!? How on earth is playing every week and being offered a new contract being forced out?

And for your other point...
      1. Ray Clemence: 665 apps for Liverpool - Finished his career at Spurs
      2. Emlyn Hughes: 665 apps for Liverpool - Finished his career at Swansea after moving clubs 5 times after Liverpool.
      3. Ian Rush: 660 apps for Liverpool - Left to go to Juve before coming back, left again and went to 5 other clubs before retiring playing for Sydney
      4. Phil Neal: 650 apps for Liverpool - Finished his career at Bolton
      5. Tommy Smith: 638 apps for Liverpool - Went to... wait for it... LA, then finished his career at Swansea
      6. Bruce Grobbelaar: 628 apps for Liverpool - Played for over 10 more clubs after he left.

Now if you have the balls to say any of those players aren't 'true Liverpool legends' then go ahead, but I imagine you'll be well and truly put in your place about that, just like you have been now. Oh and when you use muppet as an adjective you use a small m you muppet.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #104: Jan 02, 2015 11:44:41 am
      FROM "Why Gerrard Starting?" TO "Gerrard Best Ever"

Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher backed his former teammates’ decision: “Sad day for Liverpool FC and English football with the Gerrard news, I think it’s the right decision all things considered… Leaving or retiring is a great confidence booster, this morning my timeline was full of ‘whys Gerrard starting” now it’s “Gerrard best ever'”.

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/epl-social-media-explodes-as-liverpool-steven-gerrard-confirms-he-is-leaving/20150102.htm?

Fans will always be fans.

All love and respect to Captain Fantastic.

- Never Can Say Goodbye -
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #105: Jan 02, 2015 11:45:54 am
      I have to say, I find the reaction to Stevie saying he's leaving to be very weird.  People are acting like someone died or something.  He is leaving; so what would have been the... opposite?  if he had signed a contract extension?  Well, he is past it.  He is slow.  He drifts in and out of games (and that's being kind).  Often times he is invisible.  He is a liability in midfield as he doesn't have the pace (even when he's well rested) to keep up with our speed in attack, and yet when he is sat further back in a holding position he doesn't have the pace to protect the back four and he gets blown by again and again during the game as if he isn't even there.
      Ironic because I find your lack of emotion about Gerrard leaving to be very weird. I'm not expecting you to dress all in black (in red?) for a year, but for you to say you cannot understand the feeling here, is itself weird.

We are looking back over the last 16 seasons Fed, not the last 16 months. I think you are lacking persepctive here

Nobody will be happier if we could replace Gerrard with a Reus, or a Pogba, but that does not mean I'll dismiss and forget the last 16 seasons.

Yes we need to take care of the present and look to the future, but not at the expense of forgetting the past.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #106: Jan 02, 2015 11:59:33 am
      Yes we need to take care of the present and look to the future, but not at the expense of forgetting the past.

This is exactly why I find it weird.  Because people are acting like they are shocked or something that he is leaving.  But we have seen his drop in quality over the last few years at an alarming rate, and we know that he no longer warrants the wages he wants in order to stay.

Clearly the club made him an offer.  And he didn't like it.  And yet the club are trying to put the CLUB first.  Which means, not going back to how things were under H&G and paying players more than is warranted. 

So my question is, what exactly would have been a better option in your mind?  You really wanted him to stay and play a bit part for another two years?  And watch him get worse and worse like Nicol during his last seasons?  That's what you want?

The writing was on the wall for me.  He's not good enough anymore.  He had an amazing career with us and in my book is only behind Dalglish as the best player ever to play for the club.

But he is past it and wants absurd amounts of quid that his play doesn't justify.  This was the only outcome possible in my opinion.  He wants more money than he really deserves at his current level.  He won't get it here.  It means he'll have to go somewhere else.  That was clear as day for almost a year now, yet people are behaving as if this is the shock of the century.

I also find it odd that everyone absolves Stevie of all blame here.  The club made him an offer.  We know that they are willing to pay the top players top wages as they did just that with Suarez and his ÂŁ200K a week.  But Stevie wants top wages without being a top player anymore.  So basically, he priced himself out of playing with us.  Yet no one seems to have a problem with that.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #107: Jan 02, 2015 12:08:44 pm
      THANK YOU xxxxx:action-smiley-065: I felt that it was coming. You're a living legend. Hope that we win some silverware this season to see him one more time lifting the trophy!

YNWA
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #108: Jan 02, 2015 12:17:00 pm
      This is exactly why I find it weird.  Because people are acting like they are shocked or something that he is leaving.  But we have seen his drop in quality over the last few years at an alarming rate, and we know that he no longer warrants the wages he wants in order to stay.
      This is exactly why I find it weird you find it weird.

Once again, we are not doing anything right now but looking back over the last 16 seasons and everything he has given to the club.

I'll try and say this as clearly and succinctly as possible; this is an appreciation thread for what he has done and nothing else.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #109: Jan 02, 2015 12:21:12 pm

I'll try and say this as clearly and succinctly as possible; this is an appreciation thread for what he has done and nothing else.

I second this - let's not allow this to turn into a bicker-fest like the Kenny thread did when he was binned off.

This is about 16 years - not the last 16 games.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #110: Jan 02, 2015 12:33:16 pm
      Gutted. Simply one of a kind and I don't think we're ever going to see anyone that even comes close to him.

Thanks for the memories and the countless times you pulled us out of trouble single-handedly. I only wish you managed to get your hands on the one trophy that you craved the most. :(

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #111: Jan 02, 2015 12:35:07 pm
      I second this - let's not allow this to turn into a bicker-fest like the Kenny thread did when he was binned off.

This is about 16 years - not the last 16 games.

I agree mate

I simply don't get, can't comprehend why people need to try to justify themselves and their views everywhere..

Ah sh*t I've been slagging him all season so I must carry that on to hammer home my point and subject people to reading it in every thread possible

It's F***ing tedious

The thread is to thank the skipper for everything he has done for us, which is simply immeasurable.. Without Steven we wouldn't have had Istanbul or Cardiff

He's leaving, he's been utterly brilliant for us, right up there in the top two players to ever pull in the shirt for me

Cut the petty bollocks and go to other threads for that.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #112: Jan 02, 2015 01:03:41 pm
      Is he f**k.

He has been offered a new deal by the club so he has every option to stay and finish his career here. Why wouldn't he want to travel across to America, I imagine it's an exciting new chapter in his career where he knows he can cope in their league. He has become a passenger in games now unfortunately and unless we are willing to change our formation (again) to completely accommodate for him, then he cannot play every game; moreover if he did play every game he runs the risk of serious injury. How many 35 year old centre midfields can you name off the top of your head right now...

Steven Gerrard has made 19 appearances this season! To put that into perspective that's 1 less than the maximum anyone else has made, and at 35 he's being used in the same way that younger, fitter midfielders are. Forced out!? How on earth is playing every week and being offered a new contract being forced out?

And for your other point...
      1. Ray Clemence: 665 apps for Liverpool - Finished his career at Spurs
      2. Emlyn Hughes: 665 apps for Liverpool - Finished his career at Swansea after moving clubs 5 times after Liverpool.
      3. Ian Rush: 660 apps for Liverpool - Left to go to Juve before coming back, left again and went to 5 other clubs before retiring playing for Sydney
      4. Phil Neal: 650 apps for Liverpool - Finished his career at Bolton
      5. Tommy Smith: 638 apps for Liverpool - Went to... wait for it... LA, then finished his career at Swansea
      6. Bruce Grobbelaar: 628 apps for Liverpool - Played for over 10 more clubs after he left.

Now if you have the balls to say any of those players aren't 'true Liverpool legends' then go ahead, but I imagine you'll be well and truly put in your place about that, just like you have been now. Oh and when you use muppet as an adjective you use a small m you muppet.

I mostly agree with you. Yes other club legends may have finished their careers elsewhere, but have the majority of them been as influential as Stevie? That'll be a no I assume.

As for my grammar, I'm on my phone and it "auto corrects" and I couldn't be arsed to change it. Plus I apologise for the insult, I was just angry and frustrated.

But I do believe he is being forced out in the sense that an agreement to playing terms couldn't be reached and for Stevie there was no other option. No middle ground so to speak.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #113: Jan 02, 2015 02:01:42 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_fk-otM2fI&feature=youtu.be

Watch the video above and if you've still got a dry eye then you should probably consider taking up another 'hobby'.

It's the right time Stevie, you've given your very best to us and we can ask no more of you. I'll remember the times you've given us for the rest of my life with immense joy.

End of an era, consignment of a true legend's tales to the history books.

There's no replacing a Steven Gerrard, the only is and ever was one like him, thank you.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #114: Jan 02, 2015 02:02:40 pm
      Forget for a minute that his legs have gone.
      Gerrard is the best player of his generation.

Short memories on here.
      Bet the Gerrard Final means nothing to some.

Ball Bag if you come on here to have a go at Gerrard based on his legs going.

At his best he had no equal.

YNWA

Quick Reply