Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59480 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #207: Jan 03, 2015 12:29:36 pm
      If you look at the situation and think it is about anything OTHER than money then you are incredibly naive.

Now that Suarez is gone Stevie has gone back to being the highest paid player at the club by far. 

There are two realities: 1) he is past it and 2) FSG pay players the wages they believe they deserve.  They paid Suarez more than £200K a week because  they knew he deserved it.

They will not pay Stevie his current wages in his next contract because quite clearly he does not deserve it.  He has no pace anymore, he is not physical enough to be a solid DM, he goes missing etc.  He is not the player he once was.

And yet, we know the club made him an offer.  He loves the club and the city.  He always said he wanted to be a one club player.

So, the only logical conclusion is that he felt that the offer made by the club wasn't good enough, i.e., NOT ENOUGH MONEY, and that he would make more quid elsewhere.

It doesn't take a genius to see what is going on here.  There's no other reason for him to leave.  And don't give me the bollocks about him not getting on with Rodgers, he didn't get on with Rafa either but he didn't throw his toys out the pram and leave.

The reality is Stevie wants to be paid for being the player he was in 2005 while not actually being able to play like he did in 2005.

If you think there is some other reason other than money that he would leave his boyhood club to go live it up on a beach in the States, then I would love to know what it is.

Again you have absolutley no proof whatsoever that Steven wanted a raise.
      That is what you stated"he wanted a raise on his £140 k a week wage".
      No article/link. Nothing.

Your wriggling and squirming trying to get out if this ,but,you cannot can you?.
      Utter bollocks and Wum central.
      Dear oh dear.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #208: Jan 03, 2015 12:29:58 pm
      So you are admitting he didn't want a pay rise Fed?  :f_whistle:

Eh?  When did I say that?  I am saying he does want a raise.

And the club want to give him even less than he's on right now.  Because he's not good enough anymore to earn even his current wages, let alone more than that.  So the club offered him a reduced salary.

Clearly he's not going to take that because what he wants is quid.

And quid is more important to him right now than loyalty to the club.

It is what it is.  I don't see why this is so controversial.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #209: Jan 03, 2015 12:36:47 pm

And the club want to give him even less than he's on right now.  Because he's not good enough anymore to earn even his current wages, let alone more than that.  So the club offered him a reduced salary.

It's controversial because your stating somthing that isn't true.
      So in that respect your talking sh*te.
      Your assuming everything.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2015 12:47:43 pm by brilad »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #210: Jan 03, 2015 12:46:43 pm
      In fact, I've only just realised this, SG might be signeg by the Man City NY affiliate and end up in the EPL with Man City. He's been loyal so I don't care one way or the other.
      I do Care about Man Cities F***ing around with the rules though.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #211: Jan 03, 2015 12:55:20 pm
      In fact, I've only just realised this, SG might be signeg by the Man City NY affiliate and end up in the EPL with Man City. He's been loyal so I don't care one way or the other.
      I do Care about Man Cities f**king around with the rules though.

No he said in his statement, he went abroad so he would never play a competitive match against LFC.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #212: Jan 03, 2015 01:01:20 pm
      Hes most likely going to the MLS.
      Gutted
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #213: Jan 03, 2015 01:19:21 pm
      Just confirmed he's going to mls.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #214: Jan 03, 2015 01:22:39 pm
      Just confirmed he's going to mls.

Rumours LA Galaxy have offered him a 2 year deal.

red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #215: Jan 03, 2015 01:32:23 pm
      Best player I have ever seen play and one of the reasons why many people around the world would have become LFC fans. He is an amazing player and a great guy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #216: Jan 03, 2015 01:37:04 pm
      LFCexiled
      Reply #217: Jan 03, 2015 01:51:25 pm

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 3 hours ago
      Steven Gerrard confirms he will move to the USA this summer. Watch exclusive interview at 5pm on @LFCTV and LFCTV GO pic.twitter.com/pwsWtgqp5h
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #218: Jan 03, 2015 01:55:17 pm
      Good luck Stevie G, thanks for the memories. YNWA
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,813 posts | 471 
      Reply #219: Jan 03, 2015 02:44:28 pm
      Thanks for everything Stevie, hey I'm only 30 mins from NY Redbulls stadium, just saying, If you want to sign there!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #220: Jan 03, 2015 02:49:38 pm

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 3 hours ago
      Steven Gerrard confirms he will move to the USA this summer. Watch exclusive interview at 5pm on @LFCTV and LFCTV GO pic.twitter.com/pwsWtgqp5h

Come to Chicago, Stevie! :laugh:
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #221: Jan 03, 2015 03:03:56 pm

That would be great!! I would be only 2 hours away and could see him play. To be honest, don't think it would happen though.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #222: Jan 03, 2015 03:29:34 pm
      My favourite ever player. He is the king. I adore the man.

Given me some phenomenal memories.

I love you Stevie G.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #223: Jan 03, 2015 03:43:36 pm

To bang on that money is the main/only element, really not sure how you come to that conclusion. The lad has shown over God knows how many years at the club what LFC means to him. He could have left numerous times but didn't - he likely could've had more money and trophies moving somewhere else, but he chose to stay and fight to bring success to Liverpool. He's already a very wealthy man, but you choose to ignore several other good reasons why he might choose to leave now. To say his focus is cash, says more about you than Stevie really.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #224: Jan 03, 2015 04:17:00 pm
      Im sure its multiple reasons why he has decided to leave and even if it was just the amount of money offered in the new contract so what, he is entitled after what he has done for LFC to feel he wants  a final pay check to set up his family for live.
      And besides a couple of years in sunny California with a big fat cheque sounds a lot better than Liverpool.

No one can decry him of wanting a new experience or moving for money after single handidly carrying this club for so many years.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #225: Jan 03, 2015 04:18:47 pm

It's not controversial, it's idiotic.

If he was more bothered about money he would have fu**ed off years ago to Madrid or Chelsea where he could have become one of the highest paid players around.

I think if you engaged your mind, you would probably realise it's more to do with the length of time offered on the contract. He's at the end of his career, made million and millions and stayed loyal to this club throughout so why would he now all of a sudden be hunting a massive pay check when he could have gotten that years ago.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #226: Jan 03, 2015 05:00:59 pm
      The fact is, either Gerrard is being greedy, or Fenway are.

Either someone is motivated by football reasons or cold hard cash ones.

LFC was a massive global club. It still has a HUGE income. The Mancs managed to keep their old stars well into their 30s. Man C have Lampard, and Manc U had Giggs til 39 was it? Chelsea have Drogba.

LOthar Matteus was GERMANY'S midfield lynchpin in the World Cup at 38/39!!

Gerrard gave up England recently to concentrate on Liverpool. We have elderly/crocked/hasbeen crap like Toure and Lucas.
      So why can't we have the heartbeat of the club in Steven Gerrard.

I don't buy the idea he is being greedy. The truth always comes out eventually. (Altho the Fenway plants will deny that anyway...)Why would SG have given up England for LFC if he wasn't focussed on giving the best possible "value" to Fenway.

Someone is being a c**t in this matter. I reckon its Fenway.
      And before someone says, I've never been a massive fan of Gerrard as a person, altho he's by far my favourite ever Liverpool midfielder.

The final aspect of it all is that its so sad we will no longer have a single truly big name player. If Pogba or someone was lined up to repalce Stevie that would've been good. But we're looking at also rans like Henderson... or absolutely no one.

How far we have fallen...
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #227: Jan 03, 2015 05:05:31 pm

They think they know the price of everything.
      But in reality, they know the worth of nothing...

I wonder if this is a "money in the back pocket" type deal?
      ie Fenway's partners benefit rather than the (former) football club.

Like Hicks stadium pics and some of those sponsorship deals that don't really match those of our rivals.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #228: Jan 03, 2015 05:10:50 pm
      I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think Gerrard wanted around 150K a week and 2 years but FSG offered 100K a week and 1 year. I can understand FSG didn't want to offer so much. We aren't in the position to pay 15 mil for a bench player who's going to be 35 years old soon.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2015 05:22:51 pm by DutchLiverpoolFan »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #229: Jan 03, 2015 05:18:35 pm
      The fact is, either Gerrard is being greedy, or Fenway are.

The only thing Gerrard should be greedy over is the length of contract.

If he loves the club, he would be happy to take a pay cut - no matter how significant. It's not as if he's skint. He's probably got enough money that his great, great grandchildren wouldn't have to work again. That's on top of his sponsorship money, his other business ventures (which no doubt he's got) and the money his missus makes. And even it was a third of his old 120k a week deal, how many of us would struggle on 40 grand a week? I'd be disappointed if Stevie didn't sign the new deal because of wages.

The amount of games he would of been promised to start can't be an issue either as he, himself, must know that at this stage of his career he wouldn't be an automatic starter for every single game. He'd still be first choice for me alongside Henderson but I don't pick players on their fitness. So again, I'd be disappointed if he didn't sign because he wasn't promised enough games.

The only thing, I think he'd be well within his right to be greedy about is the length of the deal. Maybe Stevie wanted two years and the club were only offering a one year deal. Or something along those lines.

Alternatively, maybe Stevie just wanted to spend his last few years in the sun of LA rather than L4.

Quick Reply