Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?

Read 7841 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?
      Reply #46: Jan 04, 2015 01:42:46 pm
      If they don't respect Stevie at this point then it's them who should be in the reserves.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #47: Jan 04, 2015 01:51:41 pm
      I'd play him as much as possible, but in the middle of the back 3 if we're going to stick with that. Aside from his passing ability he's stronger in the air then any of our centre halfs and probably a better tackler to
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #48: Jan 04, 2015 01:52:36 pm
      Can he play in goal? I'd bet a pound to a penny on he's better at it that either of our two other options.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #49: Jan 05, 2015 10:13:30 pm
      We got to see Gerrard in a more advanced position today. Two goals, albeit against a side 70-odd places below us. Still, two goals that see us through.

Looking at our squad, there isn't a single player on the team that can hit a decent free kick. No one else would have scored his second. Stevie's set piece delivery is something that will need to be addressed because we're going to really miss it next season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #50: Jan 05, 2015 10:24:01 pm
      Stevie's set piece delivery is something that will need to be addressed because we're going to really miss it next season.

Apart from the corners.  Lallana and Coutinho both take better corners than him.  Hard to say that no one else in the team would have scored from a free kick because no one else really gets a go do they?  I'd imagine the two aforementioned could have a go.  No idea about Markovic, Balotelli etc.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #51: Jan 05, 2015 10:27:28 pm
      This might sound crazy.

But i think Gerrard actually wants to go. He wants to try something new while he still can. He wants a break from the high pressure of playing for Liverpool. Sounds crazy i know. But he's a liverpool boy, playing for liverpool. At some point it must just be boring living in your home town your whole life.

As a brit living in america, moving here was exciting, a new adventure. I imagine his wife and kids are excited about moving to LA and enjoying the nice weather all year round. He might even be able to be 'fairly' anonymous. Go food shopping with his kids without a minder. Go to the park without a CIA style entourage.

I dont know. Call me crazy!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #52: Jan 05, 2015 10:29:59 pm
      Apart from the corners.  Lallana and Coutinho both take better corners than him.  Hard to say that no one else in the team would have scored from a free kick because no one else really gets a go do they?  I'd imagine the two aforementioned could have a go.  No idea about Markovic, Balotelli etc.

Coutinho never beats the first man on his corners. Agree on Lallana's corners though -- they're quality.

We saw Suarez take free kicks ahead of Gerrard plenty of times, to be fair. In the matches Gerrard didn't play and others took free kicks, they were terrible. Henderson thinks he can take him, but he can't. Balotelli is probably the next best option as he used to take them at City and AC Milan -- that's assuming he's still going to be a Liverpool player next season, of course.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #53: Jan 05, 2015 10:45:32 pm
      balo takes good freekicks and pens
       :-\
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #54: Jan 05, 2015 11:06:55 pm
      We got to see Gerrard in a more advanced position today. Two goals, albeit against a side 70-odd places below us. Still, two goals that see us through.

Looking at our squad, there isn't a single player on the team that can hit a decent free kick. No one else would have scored his second. Stevie's set piece delivery is something that will need to be addressed because we're going to really miss it next season.

It WAS against a lower team mate, but who else would have scored them if he hadn't? In my opinion he's the only player at the club (with the possible exception of Sturridge) who would have scored the first. We have absolutely NOBODY who attacks the space like he did there. I still see some people calling Lucas "the most important player at the club", or other players as the "next big thing" as well as saying Gerrard's "past it". The uncomfortable truth though is that Gerrard is still capable of doing things which the vast majority of our other players aren't.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #55: Jan 06, 2015 05:51:40 am
      I think its interesting though out this whole season up until the end of the last prem league game most people were saying DONT START GERRARD ! HES PART IT THE TEAM LOOK BETTER WITHOUT HIM. Him and Lucas are too slow in CM, he's past it etc etc etc

Now suddenly we're gonna be relegation fodder without him.

I mean there is really no middle ground with footie fans! ;D :lmao:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #56: Jan 06, 2015 08:38:15 am
      Well in all honesty it would have been far better if he just left now, how much respect will he command as captain when they all know he has half an eye on his new life in the US. He should have showed some class and waited until the end of the season instead of acting like a spoiled child and throwing his toys out of the pram just because the club don't want to keep him as the highest earner. Add to this the fact that he just gets worse and worse and the reserves might actually be an ok option.

Your opinion is w*nk.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #57: Jan 06, 2015 12:36:46 pm
      Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?

How about

Get on their knees,
      Tell him they are sorry they didn't think it appropriate to have a contract waiting for our greatest ever player when he returned from the World Cup
      Explain they are sorry they didn't see fit to bring up the subject of a new contract even after the skipper announced he was quitting international football to prolong his commitment to LFC
      Offer him a 2 year deal
      Pay him what he's worth
      Oh and say sorry....
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #58: Jan 06, 2015 12:44:52 pm
      It WAS against a lower team mate, but who else would have scored them if he hadn't? In my opinion he's the only player at the club (with the possible exception of Sturridge) who would have scored the first. We have absolutely NOBODY who attacks the space like he did there. I still see some people calling Lucas "the most important player at the club", or other players as the "next big thing" as well as saying Gerrard's "past it". The uncomfortable truth though is that Gerrard is still capable of doing things which the vast majority of our other players aren't.

And yet bizarrely so many of the posters on here seem to think it's for the best that he goes or go crazy when he starts games.

Well in all honesty it would have been far better if he just left now, how much respect will he command as captain when they all know he has half an eye on his new life in the US. He should have showed some class and waited until the end of the season instead of acting like a spoiled child and throwing his toys out of the pram just because the club don't want to keep him as the highest earner. Add to this the fact that he just gets worse and worse and the reserves might actually be an ok option.

I wouldn't interpret it like that at all and I'm surprised that you have. The speculation would have raged on for the rest of the season if he hadn't announced his plans to play in the MLS. He would have been asked the question repeatedly, as would the manager and clubs from abroad would be making advances (and leaking them to press) to try to sign him as soon as we got into January. As for your comments about being the highest earner, it's speculation isn't it? You don't know that is what he was demanding. Maybe he wanted a two year deal? Maybe he wanted more money than was being offered? Maybe the offer they made was very low and he considered it to be an insult. It's all speculative. But for my mind the club have made a mess of it, they could have dealt with it far far better. It was clear in the summer that he wanted to stay, was looking forward to it, was waiting for the club to sort something out and now he is leaving.

Quick Reply