Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      2 (2.2%)
      Sakho
      2 (2.2%)
      Skrtel
      1 (1.1%)
      Can
      0 (0%)
      Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Markovic
      2 (2.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.3%)
      Henderson
      2 (2.2%)
      Gerrard
      72 (78.3%)
      Lambert
      1 (1.1%)
      Coutinho
      7 (7.6%)
      Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Balotelli
      0 (0%)
      Toure
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Jan 09, 2015 10:25:15 pm

AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Gerrardmania

Read 34852 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Re: AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Gerrardmania
      Reply #598: Jan 06, 2015 12:05:18 am
      I didn't I said Oragutan...get your Primates right.  :P

Yeah like he said, not funny
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #599: Jan 06, 2015 12:08:45 am
      Even at 34 he is bailing us out with a strike we come to expect only from him on the pitch.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #600: Jan 06, 2015 12:20:12 am
      Nothing new learnt there!! We are still awful and Steven Gerrard is still some player!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #601: Jan 06, 2015 01:11:43 am
      I thought Coutinho and Markovic had the beating of Wimbledon especially in the first half, unfortunately their link up play let them down. This is not a criticism of them but if they continue in the same positions then their touch should improve and we can expect some goals from them.
                                                                                         I made Stevie M.O.M. for his 2 goals, it was a pity he could not get his Hat Trick.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #602: Jan 06, 2015 01:19:58 am
      To be fair I don't think Mignolet can be blamed for two of the goals.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #603: Jan 06, 2015 08:09:14 am
      Stevie MOTM for me , coutinho & markovic close , and this came when he played in his NATURAL position..ADVANCED role
       and who says he cannot cope with the pace at 34?
       He (stevie) did what we nearly always expected of him, SOLVE the team's problems ,
       nothing against the guy, but Lambert is simply not good enough, Balo did more than him in the 15 mins he subbed Rickie

YNWA
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #604: Jan 06, 2015 08:29:25 am
      Stevie MOTM for me , coutinho & markovic close , and this came when he played in his NATURAL position..ADVANCED role
       and who says he cannot cope with the pace at 34?
       He (stevie) did what we nearly always expected of him, SOLVE the team's problems ,
       nothing against the guy, but Lambert is simply not good enough, Balo did more than him in the 15 mins he subbed Rickie

YNWA

Agree. Was clear to anyone with half a brain that Stevie would thrive being put into a forward position. And he did thrive. Apart from the odd slip here and there, he put in a real solid performance with the two goals to boot.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #605: Jan 06, 2015 08:54:30 am
      Lets be honest Gerrard did get us out of a hole but that forward partnership of Gerrard and Lambert was just like a ocean liner!
      Stevie looked a lot better when Balotelli came on for Lambert, that's how shocking Rickie was, seems like he has fulfilled his dream and can now retire!

If and when we play Stevie he has to be played further up, don't expect too much movement but there is always the chance of that bit of magic compared to Lambert or Balotelli.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #606: Jan 06, 2015 09:14:40 am
      Theres only one Steven the captain!!!
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #607: Jan 06, 2015 10:06:32 am
      why is he going again?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #608: Jan 06, 2015 10:19:02 am
      I don't think we played as badly as what many are suggesting.

We had a poor spell for 15-20 minutes at the end of the first half and Wimbledon should have taken a few of their chances, but I always felt we were in control and could step it up a gear or 2 whenever we wanted.

In the last 10-15 minutes we made some good opportunities ourselves and should have put the game to bed.

What is worrying is yet again we saw that if a team launches the ball into our box we panic. We concede the same goal every single week. A cross/throw/launch comes into the box, we flap like little girls, and somebody knocks it in.  Very rarely we are cut open with a great move etc.

Skrtel is a liability and I've said it for some time now. Mignolet has been blamed for the goal (and righty so) but watch Skrtel...

Akinfenwa is Skrtels man. As the ball comes in Skrtel moves away from Akinfenwa and moves towards the goal line. Mignolet then makes a mess of it all and Akinfenwa taps it in. 

Skrtel shouldn't be getting away without criticism though. Akinfenwa is the obvious threat in the box and Skrtel left him unmarked. Shocking, shocking defending.

The positives for me were of course Steven. What a way to silence any critics. Two brilliant goals. I don't think it's a case of treating him unfairly though to be honest, Brendan has told him straight he won't play every single game and FSG don't believe in paying top wages for somebody who will be sat on the bench half the time which seems fair to me despite him being a legend. Gerrard gets to go to MLS to earn some big money and play football every week.

Shearer was right last night though saying Steven gave England up to play a year or two futher and finish his career at Liverpool. It's all very sad.

Thought Markovic played pretty well. Hes growing with confidence every week. He needs a bit more bottle though. When he runs past a player he just lets the defender tackle him sometimes instead of getting in between the ball and the man and being clattered which would win us free kicks/penaltys. Suarez used to really battle with defenders and Markovic needs to do the same.

Sakho was solid again. He is the best defender we have.

Balotelli looked interested when he came on which was refreshing to watch too.

Bolton at home next round. SHOULD win. A great opportunity to reach the 5th round.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #609: Jan 06, 2015 10:24:47 am
      I think we were fine. This was as typical a 3rd round game to a lower league game as you can get. They happen every year. The lower league team puts in shitloads of effort and looks valiant, but in the end quality wins out. To suggest we looked bad in this game is ridiculous.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #610: Jan 06, 2015 10:34:29 am
      Well done for winning a dodgy cup tie.

The game was a bit like the vast majority of games this season. There were time when we had full control and it looked like we could run away with the game, then the opposition hoof the ball towards our area and we go to pieces 
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #611: Jan 06, 2015 11:51:40 am
      What does Stevie's first goal taught us? We need more players surging forward into the opposition box when we are on the offensive. I wonder what would have happened had BR played Stevie in a more advance role, we could have scored a few more goals instead of playing him as a DM, a total waste of his talent.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2015 12:36:58 pm by redkop63 »
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #612: Jan 06, 2015 03:26:47 pm
      We were playing against a league 2 squad and we were incapable of imposing our game. Judging by some postings it looked like we were playing Madrid or Munich...

I still believe that our best 11 does not include Gerrard. He is our best set piece taker but that is not enough to make a difference against a top EPL team. Our game requires up top pressing and speed/mobility which Gerrard cannot provide on a consistent basis anymore.

I understand all the love and sentimentality that our fans have for the legend but the reality is different. And sentimentality can be the enemy of progression.

Many new players have been brought in that need to get game time and gel into the team. As an example Emre Can who is one hell of a player. His playing time has been limited thus far by Brendan obsession on Gerrard as a defensive DM. We only got to see what he could do when Toure and Loren became unavailable. Emre's impact was obvious when Brendan moved him up to the right midfield yesterday.

He needs to be played along side Lucas.
      Hendo would play CM. The front 3 would be Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho or Lallana, Markovic and Balo.

I am sorry but I just cannot see how we can compete for top 4 with Gerrard as an automatic starter in most games.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2015 05:28:25 pm by wmeliane »
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #613: Jan 06, 2015 04:21:11 pm
      Yday was an absolute disgrace. Nomarks vs nomarks was the phrase that came to mind.
      Doubtless those from Kew Gardens will hail this as a "storied success for the brand", but any real fan knows the truth.

I thought Mr Sparkleyteeth showed himself up to be a deferential yesman for the vampires again.

And we also saw what Gerrard never was, and certainly never will be a Mascherano.
      Yday he seemed head and shoulders above some of the also rans that masquerade as "Liverpool players".

So long Scamway, so long plants. When you are gone, you'll be missed like a stanley knife in the neck.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #614: Jan 06, 2015 04:30:24 pm
      Yday was an absolute disgrace. Nomarks vs nomarks was the phrase that came to mind.
      Doubtless those from Kew Gardens will hail this as a "storied success for the brand", but any real fan knows the truth.

I thought Mr Sparkleyteeth showed himself up to be a deferential yesman for the vampires again.

And we also saw what Gerrard never was, and certainly never will be a Mascherano.
      Yday he seemed head and shoulders above some of the also rans that masquerade as "Liverpool players".

So long Scamway, so long plants. When you are gone, you'll be missed like a stanley knife in the neck.

All that effort into "Kew Gardens," "Mr Sparkleyteeth," "deferential yesman for the vampires" and "Scamway" and yet you can't even spell out "yesterday." Poor form.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #615: Jan 06, 2015 04:32:03 pm

Kew Gardens?
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #616: Jan 06, 2015 04:34:37 pm
      Have any of the moaners actually seen an FA cup game before? Yesterday was bread and butter top team versus lower league team. Nothing to cause worry at all.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #617: Jan 06, 2015 04:41:23 pm
      Have any of the moaners actually seen an FA cup game before? Yesterday was bread and butter top team versus lower league team.

True - 3rd round often a nightmare.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #618: Jan 06, 2015 04:42:25 pm
      Have any of the moaners actually seen an FA cup game before? Yesterday was bread and butter top team versus lower league team. Nothing to cause worry at all.

Absolutely look at a united struggling against Yeovil and City needing a injury time winner.
      Makes you wonder if Some of our so called fans have ever seen a FA Cup tie with all the odds stacked for the minnow with refereeing, crappy pitch a vociferous crowd.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #619: Jan 06, 2015 04:51:42 pm
      True - 3rd round often a nightmare.

Bristol City 1994 anyone
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #620: Jan 06, 2015 04:59:42 pm

Oh so true. That's the beauty of the FA Cup.

Quick Reply