Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Napoli [Champions League] Tue 11th Dec @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 10th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W5 D7 L8

GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?

Read 15214 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Re: GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?
      Reply #120: Jul 25, 2018 01:15:14 pm
      Well according to James Pearce he is very highly rated by Klopp

If true I wonder why, what has Achterburg done to earn such praise??
      nelioneil
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,718 posts | 95 
      Reply #121: Jul 25, 2018 01:19:08 pm
      If true I wonder why, what has Achterburg done to earn such praise??

He has been highly rated by the last 5 managers including the current. Maybe his skills are very highly sought after or its hard to find available goalkeeper coaches.
      heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #122: Jul 25, 2018 01:21:23 pm
      He has been highly rated by the last 5 managers including the current. Maybe his skills are very highly sought after or its hard to find available goalkeeper coaches.

Oh you mean the skill of never improving a goalkeeper, yeah I can imagine that is very hard to find ;-).
      Maybe he is just an expert at kissing ass, I've met plenty of people like that who are crap at their jobs but amazing at sucking up to their bosses but I would have thought Jürgen can see through that.
      baitman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #123: Jul 25, 2018 10:51:56 pm
      Oh you mean the skill of never improving a goalkeeper, yeah I can imagine that is very hard to find ;-).
      Maybe he is just an expert at kissing ass, I've met plenty of people like that who are crap at their jobs but amazing at sucking up to their bosses but I would have thought Jürgen can see through that.
      i have to think this is the case. top rated arse licker, one of the boys, dutch accent so sounds like he knows what hes on about,  etc.
      snake oil salesman more like.
      he should be judged on his results, has he improved any goalkeepers 'consistently... no. cya lad.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #124: Jul 25, 2018 11:40:06 pm
      He has a degree in hypnosis, look into my eyes not around my eyes but into my eyes Jürgen, i am the greatest ever GK coach in the world you got it repeat after me.
      baitman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #125: Jul 26, 2018 03:53:12 am
      He has a degree in hypnosis, look into my eyes not around my eyes but into my eyes Jürgen, i am the greatest ever GK coach in the world you got it repeat after me.
      winging it since 2009

heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #126: Jul 26, 2018 12:13:53 pm

Oh he really does look like the ass kissing type doesn't he, I bet he's a c**t to everyone below him as well. Anyway maybe he's a lovely and honourable guy but what is clear is that he is a terrible GK coach and I would be amazed if he lasts long with Alisson.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #127: Jul 26, 2018 12:34:22 pm
      I don't know about you lot but Klopp doesn't strike me as someone who needs his ass kissing or who suffers fools gladly  :confused-smiley-013:
      baitman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #128: Jul 26, 2018 12:47:29 pm
      I don't know about you lot but Klopp doesn't strike me as someone who needs his ass kissing or who suffers fools gladly  :confused-smiley-013:
      trouble is that some of these long term parasites are smooth, so slick you'd never notice their tongue up your hoop.
      i have seen it in the workplace, sycophants who have this symbiotic relationship with anyone who can help them progress, but without doing anything worthwhile themselves...
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #129: Jul 26, 2018 12:54:32 pm
      trouble is that some of these long term parasites are smooth, so slick you'd never notice their tongue up your hoop.
      i have seen it in the workplace, sycophants who have this symbiotic relationship with anyone who can help them progress, but without doing anything worthwhile themselves...

Aye

But again

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 2308 
      Reply #130: Jul 26, 2018 01:16:47 pm

T.P.M.
      heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #131: Jul 26, 2018 01:23:26 pm

I agree but if true then just what in the name of f**k is it that Klopp sees in Achterburg? He is demonstrably a terrible coach as no one ever seems to improve under him.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,236 posts | 966 
      Reply #132: Jul 26, 2018 02:01:29 pm
      Last i heard about him is that Klopp is a huge admirer.
      heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #133: Jul 26, 2018 02:07:36 pm
      Last i heard about him is that Klopp is a huge admirer.

Yes we know that, we are trying to figure out why, any thoughts?
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 133 
      Reply #134: Jul 26, 2018 02:28:04 pm
      Bring back Joe Corrigan.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #135: Jul 26, 2018 02:33:21 pm

He's like 70 years old
      heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #136: Jul 26, 2018 02:35:07 pm

and your point is?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,583 posts | 442 
      Reply #137: Jul 26, 2018 02:36:25 pm

Speaking of former goalkeeping coaches was interesting to see that Xavi Valero has ended up at West Ham.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1534 
      Reply #138: Jul 26, 2018 02:37:59 pm

He too old 🤷‍♂️
      heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #139: Jul 26, 2018 03:29:25 pm

I know, I was kidding but he'd probably still do a better job.
      Robby The Z
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,842 posts | 517 
      Reply #140: Jul 26, 2018 03:47:38 pm
      Why, after avoiding it for so long, did I click on this thread for the first time today?

Burned onto my retina now, I reckon.  :confused-smiley-013:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,020 posts | 2961 
      Reply #141: Jul 26, 2018 04:43:42 pm
      The 'keeper coach is rarely if ever in the spotlight, Mignolet and subsequently Karius  have been disastrous and unfortunate in that order so to save some awkward enquires the goalie coach has been offered up as enquiry blotting paper.

Alisson is an accomplished shot stopper and well experienced keeper and could probably coach the coach.

In that case we probably will  hear no more agout Mr Achterberg.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,817 posts | 2968 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #142: Aug 10, 2018 12:00:36 am
      heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #143: Aug 10, 2018 09:02:22 am

Its a slightly weird defence though, basically his main quality seems to be working longer hours than Jürgen, that's a fairly well known trick from most workplaces, make the boss think you are working hard and he'll ignore that what you are producing is crap.

Anyway hope I'm wrong and that Alisson actually improves under Achterburg, there must be a first time for everything.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 2308 
      Reply #144: Aug 10, 2018 04:47:29 pm
      Trouble is that some of these long term parasites are smooth, so slick you'd never notice their tongue up your hoop.

I am sorry to say that we had a previous manager like him giving out soundbites to the owners instead of press conferences.
      He was sussed in 2015 and after an end of season worst defeat in over 50 years. To Stoke F.F.S !

He knew all about management speak .... knew all about getting allies around him and knew all about getting shot of alpha type  personality players such as Pepe ...who could challenge him... which was all dressed up with others shipped out as "getting the wage bill down".

He knew all about man management stealing Ferguson's envelope stunt after reading his book and he was certain that after a three hour meeting with Box of Frogs Balotelli he had got into his head and Mario was going to set the world on fire with the Reds.
      All he did was use us as "The Bank Of Anfield" like Woy's favourite player Joe Cole.

What was Achterberg's previous experience?  Tranmere goalkeeper.

Question:  Has Achterberg actually improved Mignolet ....in how many years the player has been here?
      Answer : No.
      How many points each season has Migs lost us?

How many would Pepe have lost us?
      All hypothetical yes ... I know ....but my money would have still been on Reina and worth his salary for his safe hands and less points lost.

Achterberg needs to be kept as far away as possible  from Alisson.

Seriously!
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2018 05:00:51 pm by MIRO »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,948 posts | 184 
      • do do do
      Reply #145: Aug 24, 2018 04:12:03 am
      wow you guys sure get upset over nothing. even after jurgen klopp himself talking about people exactly like you, the armchair experts having no idea, you still pretend you know better
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,437 posts | 1676 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #146: Aug 24, 2018 06:12:02 am
      I am sorry to say that we had a previous manager like him giving out soundbites to the owners instead of press conferences.
      He was sussed in 2015 and after an end of season worst defeat in over 50 years. To Stoke F.F.S !

He knew all about management speak .... knew all about getting allies around him and knew all about getting shot of alpha type  personality players such as Pepe ...who could challenge him... which was all dressed up with others shipped out as "getting the wage bill down".

He knew all about man management stealing Ferguson's envelope stunt after reading his book and he was certain that after a three hour meeting with Box of Frogs Balotelli he had got into his head and Mario was going to set the world on fire with the Reds.
      All he did was use us as "The Bank Of Anfield" like Woy's favourite player Joe Cole.

Question:  Has Achterberg actually improved Mignolet ....in how many years the player has been here?

All hypothetical yes ... I know ....but my money would have still been on Reina and worth his salary for his safe hands and less points lost.

Seriously!

Did he has keepers who were capable to be top keepers in recent years? No, Simon and Loris weren't. Alisson is so give him a chance and with Reina, he was a 'very young coach' and Pepe as hard-headed.
      heimdall

• 7,180 posts | 1357 
      Reply #147: Aug 24, 2018 10:11:26 am
      Did he has keepers who were capable to be top keepers in recent years? No, Simon and Loris weren't. Alisson is so give him a chance and with Reina, he was a 'very young coach' and Pepe as hard-headed.

Shouldn't a good coach be able to improve a player even if that player isn't the best in the world?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,437 posts | 1676 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #148: Aug 24, 2018 09:35:14 pm
      Shouldn't a good coach be able to improve a player even if that player isn't the best in the world?

To certain extent yes, but there will be limits as well.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 606 posts | 43 
      Reply #149: Aug 24, 2018 11:18:04 pm

Seriously!

He will learn extra 'skills' from him, the guys a chancer who has got away with it

Quick Reply