Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?

Read 28521 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2015 01:09:58 pm
      If I remember right, weren't there reports coming out of Anfield about Achterberg really giving Reina a hard time in training?
      And by that, I mean taking the piss out of him, slagging him at every turn and basically being a proper c**t.

At the time it was said that this was taking its toll on Reina's confidence, and coincidentally, that's when we really started to see a drop in form.

Wasn't that Hodge's right hand man though Swab?

Forget his name now and still you could very well be correct.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2015 01:21:17 pm
      Wasn't that Hodge's right hand man though Swab?

Forget his name now and still you could very well be correct.

It may have been mate.
      My memory isn't what it was, but the name (Achterberg) stuck in my mind.
      Maybe I'm confusing things, because Achterberg wasn't promoted to first team coach until after hodgson left according to wiki.

Whatever the case, our current goalkeeping coach doesn't seem to be earning his corn.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2015 01:21:21 pm
      It is a good point Mouse and something I've brought up in the Pascoe and Marsh debate.
      I think 7KK7 has hit the nail on the head to be fair Si.

I know you own/manage a couple of businesses mate - I'm sure you would you accept responsibility and act to remedy the problem, if you knew someone was bringing your business down.  :-\

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26: Jan 07, 2015 05:41:46 pm
      I have no doubt that this man is nowhere near good enough to be our goalkeeping coach. But 2 things here regarding our current keepers and the coach. I nor anyone else knows what they do on a day to day basis in training but a blind man can see MIgnolets weaknesses. If the coach isn't working on them then he should be hauled in by the boss but MIgnolet is a big boy to, well capable of staying behind after training and working on his weaknesses himself

Secondly a post was made making out that the coach ruined Reina. If Reina let a fella like AChteberg in his head so much that he lost his form completely then Pepe must be held up as a mentally weak person, which I don't believe he is.

So basically he's not good enough to be our coach but the keepers themselves must take a lot of responsibility for there own failings
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #27: Jan 07, 2015 05:59:32 pm

Brendan is very much a hands on manager and seems to like full control of training

I wish he'd train the goalie to get his ****ing hands on the ball :)
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #28: Jan 07, 2015 06:19:24 pm
      That's a very interesting and valid point 7KK7: something we often try to avoid. Where does the buck stop; top or bottom?

If, indeed, Achterberg is the problem (and I'm not saying he's not btw), then there's really only one man [Brendan] who can remove the problem, I suppose.  :-\

The buck stops with the manager eh? What a silly, idiotic narrow minded point of view, based on complete irrationality on your dislike of the manager. Well then, might as well bring in Dalglish, Hodgson and Benitez into this argument as Achterberg was at the club during their tenure. Since 'the buck stops with the manager' then they are all equally to blame - especially Dalglish as Achterberg was promoted to the senior side prior to his full season in charge in 2011. As ever with the Brendan haters, this argument is left untouched to avoid all exposure in hypocrisy (of which you are the self-proclaimed expert on).

As such, that isn't my point of view. I don't blame Dalglish any more than Rodgers. Maybe - just maybe - questions have to be asked into coaching recruitment (in addition to player recruitment) as to why a coach with a bare CV with nothing remotely impressive on it was promoted to an important position in the coaching team. It seems to me - as ruthcity pointed out - a strange decision, but one that smells of yet another cost cutting measure. Thus, despite the obvious responsibility the manager does have, the buck stops with the overall strategy of the club, offering nothing but constraints upon constraints.

But I will undoubtedly get shouted down from your esteemed intellectual and superior viewpoint and called a fool, as is the rule with anyone who vehemently disagrees with your viewpoint.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2015 08:20:17 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #29: Jan 07, 2015 08:33:54 pm
      I don't blame Dalglish any more than Rodgers.

Not to pick this out, but isn't kind of funny that under Kenny we had a great defensive record but were crap at scoring, and the opposite under Brendan? Kenny was a striker, Brendan was a defender. I just find it ironic hah
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #30: Jan 08, 2015 03:14:58 am
      I'm writing this at half time against Wimbledon and yet another goalkeeping howler has given me food for thought.

We all know Mignolet is terrible, we all know Jones is terrible, and sadly, Reina's form dropped like a stone. All this has happened under John Achterberg's tenure as goalkeeping coach. The goalkeepers are bad, but it's bizaarly the same mistake over and over and over again.

What is going on in the coaching department? All over there seems to be massive issues in coaching. Brendan is a great coach - that is proven - but the others? The others seem useless.

He's the last person I'd want to think of, but perhaps Rodgers should take a leaf from Ferguson's book? Ferguson looked way better than he really was by hiring a team of proven top class coaches. At the moment, our coaching staff is mediocre and the problems all over the field is tantamount to this.

Number 1 suspect well yes really. Just the same as the call for a defensive coach, I don't see the difference.
      Something isn't right, what is it? Where does it start? The stage of coaching that field of expertise. Simple straightforward common sense.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Jan 09, 2015 10:38:57 am
      The buck stops with the manager eh? What a silly, idiotic narrow minded point of view, based on complete irrationality on your dislike of the manager.
      Silly,  idiotic and dislike of the manager; eh?  :lmao:

Well, first off - I don't dislike the manager... far from it in fact - something that is borne out in my posts, should you ever take time to read them, you twit. Unlike your good self; I have always stood firm in my support of Brendan. I have never called for his head; never called him names and very rarely criticised him you silly, F***ing, idiot.  ;D

Now, having established that you aren't the sharpest tool in the box, do yourself a favour: read my post, in context, again. Better still get someone to read it to you.

* 7KK7 made a valid point - it contradicts your point of view, something which obviously makes you feel uncomfortable and defensive - after all you didn't start this thread for discussion; you just wanted people to agree with you. Yes, it is very "narrow-minded", of you, but that doesn't make his point any less valid.

* I acknowledged 7KK7's valid point and asked the question - "Where does the buck stop; top or bottom?"

* Obviously, if like 7KK7 and me, you believe the buck stops at the "top" [Brendan, in this instance]; then Achterberg, can't be suspect number 1.

* However, if like others, you believe the buck stops at the "bottom" [Mignolet, in this instance]; then Achterberg, can't be suspect number 1. 

So what we are left with are people like your good self who want and need the buck to stop, somewhere in the middle, with Achterberg.

Now: if that's how you read it - then fair enough. You have an opinion; just like 7KK7 and just like me, you believe it is valid.

I'm sure you are secure enough in your belief that your opinion is right... to the point that a couple of questions, or opposing points of view, aren't going to be enough to make you look daft; right? So...

I was merely opening the discussion up - and pointing out that - "If, indeed, Achterberg is the problem (and I'm not saying he's not btw), then there's really only one man [Brendan] who can remove the problem, I suppose."

Is there any part of that assertion which isn't accurate?

I mean; I might be missing something [I often do] but if "Suspect No1" John Achterberg is to get the chop - who is the man to give him the chop; his manager maybe?  Yes? No? :confused-smiley-013:

Are you, genuinely, suggesting that someone else should undermine Brendan's authority, step in and sack Achterberg instead? :o :dunce2:

Well then, might as well bring in Dalglish, Hodgson and Benitez into this argument as Achterberg was at the club during their tenure. Since 'the buck stops with the manager' then they are all equally to blame

Well the truth is - I haven't "blamed" anyone fella but the fact remains that; if Achterberg was thought to be a problem, under any of those managers, the way you say he is now then...

... it's my view that the manager [any manager] should have sacked him, if they were unhappy with his performance.  It's really that simple... the name of the manager makes no difference - it's weird that you think it should.  :o
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2015 12:02:53 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32: Feb 08, 2015 11:46:50 am
      So... anyway... now that we've had 4 clean sheets on the bounce and 5 out of our last 7 [league games]...

Who do we now praise; a) "Suspect No 1", b) Simon or c) Brendan?

I'll start the ball rolling - believing as I do that (when it comes to football) only Brendan has the power to change things then... it's only fair and right that he gets the lion's share of the credit for doing just that.

Just to be clear tho - I have no problem with anyone who blamed "Suspect No 1", or Simon, coming on here now to praise either of them. 8)
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #33: Feb 08, 2015 02:14:52 pm
      I think credit can go to all 3.

Brendan deserves credit for identifying exactly what was the problem in his style of play and how it can be fixed, yet still integrate with his philosophy for the team as a whole. John deserves credit for providing training to help with executing that vision. Simon deserves credit because he was responsive to change.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Feb 08, 2015 08:25:19 pm
      All of us may be missing a vital ingredient here, it's only a matter of weeks ago that Simon was getting pelters and rightly so, his arse was on the floor so much so that Brendan decided that Brad Jones was promoted,
      Unfortunately for Brad he got injured leaving BR little choice but to reinstate his no1,

As goalkeeping is particularly a confidence position I find it quite surprising how quickly Simon returned to the kind of form that he has,
      Perhaps it wasn't only BR & JA that gave Simon the kick up the arse he desperately needed,
      Last season we had a particular individual who was a major influence for the players state of mind, namely Dr Stephen Peters
      I might be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if in fact he was instrumental in Migs recovery, I don't know for sure but perhaps BR sought his help knowing how important Simon is to the squad,

Can anyone elaborate ?

YNWA
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #35: Feb 08, 2015 11:18:39 pm
      I credit the back three of Skrtel, Sakho and Can. The coaches and player himself (and Steve Peters?) have done much in recent weeks, but there's nothing more comforting for a keeper than the defence in front of you doing a good job. It's simple on the basis that the worse the defence is, the more times the keeper is going to be called upon, thus meaning the chances of the keeper screwing up are much higher I suppose. What little chances we are conceding, he has been excellent so far.

I freely apologise for my harsh treatment of Skrtel prior to the change in formation, he's been excellent, and it's great to see that, after all, there is a decent keeper there in Mignolet after all. Backed him last season, started to worry he wasn't of the standard this year, but he has shown there is a future at the club for him in recent weeks. A big turn around after it seemed all was hopeless.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #36: Dec 20, 2015 04:18:36 pm
      Bruce Grobbelaar was right - Achterberg must shoulder the blame for such goalkeeping woes. Our keepers can't even grasp the most basic things.

If you are a professional keeper - whether that is the Premier League to League 2, they all - at the very least - have to grasp the basics. One thing that got me was Klopp stated last week that he would shoulder the blame for telling Mignloet to come off his line. Very admirable, but why isn't the goalkeeping coach telling Migs this. A goalkeeping coach should teach that to be instinctive. Very worrying.

We are Liverpool, and our keepers can't even grasp the basics. This has been a problem since 2011, with a dramatic decline in form for Reina - surprise surprise, the exact year that Achterberg was hired.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #37: Dec 20, 2015 06:37:11 pm
      Bruce Grobbelaar was right - Achterberg must shoulder the blame for such goalkeeping woes. Our keepers can't even grasp the most basic things

It's simple things though, I don't rate Achterberg but he is getting too much of the blame and it's got to stop because it's a simple case of our keepers not being good enough. The errors that Migs and now Bogdan have been making are comical that you wouldn't expect to see in the lower divisions. Simple, everyday things like catching and holding onto the ball when you are the favourite to do so, going to punch it but totally missing the ball...Migs can't even count for f**k sake.

By all means blame the coach for all these simple errors but there is only so much he can do, he can't magically make the keepers be able to catch the ball in a game or kick it properly. I don't doubt for a second they manage these things in training so why is is they collapse mentally on the pitch.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #38: Oct 01, 2016 02:46:04 pm
      Alright, let's play devils advocate and say he's still sh*te.

Came from Tranmere. Even shiter.

Only got his coaching license in the summer. Right, he's taking the piss.

CV is a joke, and Liverpool's goalkeepers still look uncomfortable - it's been this way since he was promoted from coaching the youth in 2011, when Reina's form dropped like a broken lift....
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #39: Oct 01, 2016 04:22:35 pm
      Get rid.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Oct 02, 2016 09:06:11 am

Achterberg was joined on the FA’s 24-strong list of 2016 Pro Licence graduates by the likes of Rangers boss Mark Warburton, former Liverpool keeper Brad Friedel, Phil Neville, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Scott Parker and Leicester City assistant boss Craig Shakespeare. Anyone wanting to manage in top-flight football across Europe must secure the Pro Licence.

Wow  !

Exalted company.

Article also features how he "served with distinction" at Tranmere.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-coach-john-achterberg-how-11494233
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #41: Oct 02, 2016 09:51:28 am

As in one gets rid on a good night out Mags? 'Cause that sounds like a nice reward for the bloke.  :P

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Oct 02, 2016 10:16:29 am

Achterberg was joined on the FA’s 24-strong list of 2016 Pro Licence graduates by the likes of Rangers boss Mark Warburton, former Liverpool keeper Brad Friedel, Phil Neville, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Scott Parker and Leicester City assistant boss Craig Shakespeare. Anyone wanting to manage in top-flight football across Europe must secure the Pro Licence.

Wow  !

Exalted company.

Article also features how he "served with distinction" at Tranmere.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-coach-john-achterberg-how-11494233

Is it only ex players who can get a pro license then?

Anyway Achterburg is utter sh*t, he hasn't improved any of our keepers, in fact he has invariably made them all worse, I really hope Klopp realises this sooner rather than later. I actually find a it a bit weird that Goalkeepers at this level don't have their own coaches, similar to in Tennis as its such a specialised field.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #43: Oct 02, 2016 11:16:01 am
      As in one gets rid on a good night out Mags? 'Cause that sounds like a nice reward for the bloke.  :P

Haha, maybe he'll not find his way back to Melwood after a big one :P
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Oct 02, 2016 12:32:24 pm

Anyway Achterburg is utter sh*t, he hasn't improved any of our keepers, in fact he has invariably made them all worse, I really hope Klopp realises this sooner rather than later. I actually find a it a bit weird that Goalkeepers at this level don't have their own coaches, similar to in Tennis as its such a specialised field.

I remember Reina wanting to bring in his own keeper coach and was willing to pay the guy's wages himself because he thought Achterberg was so sh*t.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #45: Oct 02, 2016 01:01:55 pm

All these consecutive managers wanting to keep him as GK coach. Maybe they can't find anyone better?

Quick Reply