Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?

Read 28511 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?
      Reply #92: Dec 18, 2016 07:41:59 am
      But would it not be the coach's job to instruct Karius on positioning. Would it also not be the goalkeeping coaches job to recommend goalkeepers we should be buying ie running the rule over Karius and saying Nein to Klopp? That article in support of him is so biased its scary. Mignolet has improved under Achertburg, really?? in what way is that and does it explain why he doesn't get a game now!!!

I know Klopp would personally see to this particular positioning situation. But if Klopp hadn't, we don't even know if the goalkeeping department itself would conduct a review or just get on with life on the training pitch. Now that'll be a real coaching issue if so.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #93: Dec 18, 2016 08:48:25 am
      Well, I think we can scrap my post above :)

Achterberg takes the flak but Klopp's faith in Liverpool coach is unwavering

The criticism of long-serving Dutchman is wrong and disrespectful

BY JAMES PEARCE

Loris Karius wasnā€™t the only man to take the flak for Liverpool ā€™s failings against West Ham.

Social media was awash with a torrent of criticism being aimed at a member of JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s backroom staff.

Kariusā€™ struggles have been held up as proof in some quarters that goalkeeping coach John Achterberg is the problem rather than the solution.

Itā€™s not an opinion which is shared by anyone inside Melwood.

The fact is that the Dutchman is a highly-regarded coach who retains the full backing of the manager. The goalkeepers he works with on a daily basis also speak glowingly about the calibre of the sessions he delivers.

Last summer the 45-year-old became one of the few keeping coaches in European football to acquire the UEFA Pro Licence - the highest qualification available. The idea that heā€™s a weak link is simply wrong and hugely disrespectful.

How Liverpool FC should line up against Middlesbrough - is it time to get Firmino back in the middle
      If Klopp had any doubts about Achterbergā€™s capabilities then he wouldnā€™t still be part of the set-up.

After all the German isnā€™t afraid to ring the changes - underlined by last summerā€™s overhaul which saw Andreas Kornmayer brought in as the club's new head of fitness and conditioning and Mona Nemmer follow him to Liverpool from Bayern Munich as head of nutrition.

When Klopp and his trusted assistants Zeljko Buvac and Peter Krawietz penned new six-year deals back in July, Achterberg and first-team development coach Pep Lijnders were also handed contract extensions.

Heā€™s very much part of ā€˜Team Kloppā€™ and that isnā€™t likely to change any time soon.

Achterberg joined the Liverpool Academy staff during Rafa Benitezā€™s reign in 2009 after 11 years of service to Tranmere Rovers and more than 300 appearances.

It was Kenny Dalglish who promoted him to the role of first-team goalkeeping coach in the summer of 2011 and heā€™s retained that position under both Brendan Rodgers and Klopp.

Critics highlight the issues Liverpool have had with keepers over the past five-and-a-half years and point to Achterberg as the one common denominator. They demand to know who heā€™s improved out of Pepe Reina, Alexander Doni, PĆ©ter Gulacsi, Brad Jones, Simon Mignolet, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ward and Karius.

For a start Reina was in decline before Achterberg got to work with him, while Doni, Jones and Bogdan - who cost a combined total of Ā£2.3million - simply werenā€™t up to it.

Playing for Liverpool is not just a question of talent, thereā€™s also the pressure and expectation which many struggle to handle.

Gulacsi, who is now shining for RB Leipzig, was young and never got to to make a senior appearance for the Reds, while Wardā€™s development at Liverpool has been eye-catching and his education is currently continuing on loan at Huddersfield Town.

Kop legend Bruce Grobbelaar has previously slammed Achterberg for the flaws he sees in Mignoletā€™s game.

ā€œI now know who the true person to blame is,ā€ he said. ā€œIf he (Achterberg) canā€™t right Mignoletā€™s wrongs in two years then he shouldnā€™t be there.ā€

However, itā€™s difficult to take Grobbelaar seriously when in the next breath he basically admitted that he wants Achterbergā€™s job.

The reality is that Mignolet has kicked on over the past six months and it shows the value of having proper competition - something Mignolet didnā€™t really have with either Jones or Bogdan about.

In terms of Karius, you canā€™t judge the impact of the coaching heā€™s getting after just 11 appearances. Has he performed for the Reds like someone who was voted the second best keeper in the Bundesliga last season? No, but then playing for Liverpool is a world away from life at Mainz.

Itā€™s also worth remembering that under both Rodgers and Klopp the Reds have been committed to a brand of attacking football which means the keeper isnā€™t blessed with a huge amount of protection.

ā€œI really trust in John Achterberg because he does a brilliant job here. Heā€™s one of the hardest working people Iā€™ve ever met.ā€

They were the words of Klopp last season and they still ring true today.

After the mistakes which have blighted recent Liverpool performances, a major improvement is required between the posts. But Kloppā€™s faith in Acherberg to help achieve that remains.

Echo

Hmm,
      After reading this I'm even more concerned, Achterberg a top GK coach because he earned his stripes at.....wait for it....... That incredible world beating European conquering EPL Championship winning, amazing, wonderful w*nk festing non league club... TRANMERE Fooking Rovers..... The experience he has is insurmountable, his phone must be in meltdown from all the world's keeper's ringing for advice,

Ffs C'mon, seriously, so all in all it comes down to Migs having at last some competition or not as it may prove to be,
      Top FA coaching badges are all well and good on your CV but where is his experience playing at a top level club in a league second to none, where has he gained experience in European or world football,
      Maybe it's just that,  he has none or limited experience playing at the level he is now coaching in, he may be a good coach for a club at the level of the Championship, but is he really good enough for us, really?

I guess the Migs needs competition mantra will be proven either way through time, Question is how much time do we afford?
      Someone once said that you can't polish a turd,  that's true, but are we trying to polish a turd with a turd,? Ain't gonna work is it?

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #94: Dec 18, 2016 09:02:12 am
      Hmm,
      After reading this I'm even more concerned, Achterberg a top GK coach because he earned his stripes at.....wait for it....... That incredible world beating European conquering EPL Championship winning, amazing, wonderful w*nk festing non league club... TRANMERE Fooking Rovers..... The experience he has is insurmountable, his phone must be in meltdown from all the world's keeper's ringing for advice

Sorry mate, but this is complete and utter bollocks.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #95: Dec 18, 2016 02:00:03 pm
      Sorry mate, but this is complete and utter bollocks.

:lmao:
      Care to elaborate wahs, I can get the complete bit but utter as well, not that bad is it?
      YNWA

RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #96: Dec 18, 2016 02:18:43 pm
      Care to elaborate wahs, I can get the complete bit but utter as well, not that bad is it?
      YNWA

Where he's played at isn't important though. Klopp never played at the top level and neither did a lot of managers.

It's what he is teaching the players that is important and to be honest, I've not a F***ing clue what he is teaching them and I doubt anyone else does.

If he was sh*te though, I'm sure one manager would have given him the boot by now if he's been here since Rafa was.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #97: Dec 18, 2016 06:10:26 pm
      YNWA

:D

Sorry Bill, come across rude that.

It's just that the fact he was plying his trade at Tranmere has absolutely nothing to do with anything. There will have been 100s, probably 1000s of coaches that have played or coached at low league level and gone on to become excellent at their job.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #98: Dec 19, 2016 12:06:58 pm
      :D

Sorry Bill, come across rude that.

It's just that the fact he was plying his trade at Tranmere has absolutely nothing to do with anything. There will have been 100s, probably 1000s of coaches that have played or coached at low league level and gone on to become excellent at their job.

Ok bud fairy muff, I concede sometimes we humans have brain fart moments, and talk complete and utter bollocks just like you pointed out, I'm going back to smoking th the dogshit mate I seem to make more sense   :-[

Happy Xmas

YNWA
      baitman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #99: Jul 24, 2018 12:46:07 am
      john achterberg is still stinking the place out.

the guy is like goalkeepers kryptonite, anyone who get near him loses form, confidence, we have no goalies with any aggression or assertiveness left, their life force has been sucked dry.

now Alisson Becker is here i cant see us having this gimp of a bloke telling becker what to do.
      bullet him now.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #100: Jul 24, 2018 02:02:41 am

the guy is like goalkeepers kryptonite, anyone who get near him loses form, confidence, we have no goalies with any aggression or assertiveness left, their life force has been sucked dry.

now Alisson Becker is here i cant see us having this gimp of a bloke telling becker what to do.
      bullet him now.

Good first post and quite agree.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #101: Jul 24, 2018 02:23:55 am
      don't we lack aggression and fire in the squad as a whole? we had many players like that but as they retired and the squad changed so did it's mentality. don't think we can blame 1 goalkeeper coach for that
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #102: Jul 24, 2018 03:42:50 am
      How this man still has his job I don't know.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #103: Jul 24, 2018 04:27:42 am
      How this man still has his job I don't know.

I got a sneaking feeling that perhaps JĆ¼rgen and has a staff know a tad more than we do.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #104: Jul 24, 2018 09:06:39 am
      I got a sneaking feeling that perhaps JĆ¼rgen and has a staff know a tad more than we do.

Considering how long it has taken them to find a good GK I actually question that. Also what has Achterburg actually achieved, every single goalkeeper he has worked with has got worse, starting with Pepe.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #105: Jul 24, 2018 09:27:41 am

Didn't JĆ¼rgen highly rate him?
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #106: Jul 24, 2018 09:30:32 am
      Considering how long it has taken them to find a good GK I actually question that. Also what has Achterburg actually achieved, every single goalkeeper he has worked with has got worse, starting with Pepe.
      This is the crux of the issue for me,surely one of the jobs of  achttheblert is to improve our keepers 
      And since 2011 when he was promoted I have seen nothing of the sort from him.
      Obviously it may not  be all down to him but I certainly don't think he has helped the situation regarding the improvemeant of our keepers.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #107: Jul 24, 2018 09:42:32 am
      Well with a Top class keeper finally on the books we will find out the worth of Achterburg.

Has he not had the tools to work with or as others have suggested he is useless at his job.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #108: Jul 24, 2018 09:49:35 am

bullet him now.
      I know what you mean, having a good coach is pivotal to success.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #109: Jul 24, 2018 11:45:10 am
      Well with a Top class keeper finally on the books we will find out the worth of Achterburg.

Has he not had the tools to work with or as others have suggested he is useless at his job.

I have a feeling that Alisson will have one session with him and demand his own coach be brought in.
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #110: Jul 24, 2018 12:53:27 pm

I think he did, it would be interesting to find a video or source, I'm almost sure
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #111: Jul 24, 2018 01:01:48 pm
      I'd love to read his Autobiography - Stealing a wage, by John Auterberg.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #112: Jul 24, 2018 02:10:02 pm
      I'd love to read his Autobiography - Stealing a wage, by John Auterberg.

Think Iā€™ve read a similar one, by Simon Mignolet.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #113: Jul 24, 2018 02:51:18 pm
      I have a feeling that Alisson will have one session with him and demand his own coach be brought in.

Wouldn't let Achterberg within twenty miles of Alisson.

How long has Migs been at the club ? 5 years ?

Any better ? 

No.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #114: Jul 24, 2018 02:53:32 pm
      I'd love to read his Autobiography - Stealing a wage, by John Auterberg... Joe Cole ... and Daniel Sturridge

Fixed It.

Quick Reply