Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?

Read 28513 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: GK Coach John Achterberg - Suspect No 1?
      Reply #138: Jul 26, 2018 03:47:38 pm
      Why, after avoiding it for so long, did I click on this thread for the first time today?

Burned onto my retina now, I reckon.  :confused-smiley-013:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #139: Jul 26, 2018 04:43:42 pm
      The 'keeper coach is rarely if ever in the spotlight, Mignolet and subsequently Karius  have been disastrous and unfortunate in that order so to save some awkward enquires the goalie coach has been offered up as enquiry blotting paper.

Alisson is an accomplished shot stopper and well experienced keeper and could probably coach the coach.

In that case we probably will  hear no more agout Mr Achterberg.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #140: Aug 10, 2018 12:00:36 am
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #141: Aug 10, 2018 09:02:22 am

Its a slightly weird defence though, basically his main quality seems to be working longer hours than JĆ¼rgen, that's a fairly well known trick from most workplaces, make the boss think you are working hard and he'll ignore that what you are producing is crap.

Anyway hope I'm wrong and that Alisson actually improves under Achterburg, there must be a first time for everything.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #142: Aug 10, 2018 04:47:29 pm
      Trouble is that some of these long term parasites are smooth, so slick you'd never notice their tongue up your hoop.

i have seen it in the workplace, sycophants who have this symbiotic relationship with anyone who can help them progress, but without doing anything worthwhile themselves...

I am sorry to say that we had a previous manager like him giving out soundbites to the owners instead of press conferences.
      He was sussed in 2015 and after an end of season worst defeat in over 50 years. To Stoke F.F.S !

He knew all about management speak .... knew all about getting allies around him and knew all about getting shot of alpha type  personality players such as Pepe ...who could challenge him... which was all dressed up with others shipped out as "getting the wage bill down".

He knew all about man management stealing Ferguson's envelope stunt after reading his book and he was certain that after a three hour meeting with Box of Frogs Balotelli he had got into his head and Mario was going to set the world on fire with the Reds.
      All he did was use us as "The Bank Of Anfield" like Woy's favourite player Joe Cole.

What was Achterberg's previous experience?  Tranmere goalkeeper.

Question:  Has Achterberg actually improved Mignolet ....in how many years the player has been here?
      Answer : No.
      How many points each season has Migs lost us?

How many would Pepe have lost us?
      All hypothetical yes ... I know ....but my money would have still been on Reina and worth his salary for his safe hands and less points lost.

Achterberg needs to be kept as far away as possible  from Alisson.

Seriously!
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2018 05:00:51 pm by MIRO »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #143: Aug 24, 2018 04:12:03 am
      wow you guys sure get upset over nothing. even after JĆ¼rgen klopp himself talking about people exactly like you, the armchair experts having no idea, you still pretend you know better
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #144: Aug 24, 2018 06:12:02 am
      I am sorry to say that we had a previous manager like him giving out soundbites to the owners instead of press conferences.
      He was sussed in 2015 and after an end of season worst defeat in over 50 years. To Stoke F.F.S !

He knew all about management speak .... knew all about getting allies around him and knew all about getting shot of alpha type  personality players such as Pepe ...who could challenge him... which was all dressed up with others shipped out as "getting the wage bill down".

He knew all about man management stealing Ferguson's envelope stunt after reading his book and he was certain that after a three hour meeting with Box of Frogs Balotelli he had got into his head and Mario was going to set the world on fire with the Reds.
      All he did was use us as "The Bank Of Anfield" like Woy's favourite player Joe Cole.

Question:  Has Achterberg actually improved Mignolet ....in how many years the player has been here?

All hypothetical yes ... I know ....but my money would have still been on Reina and worth his salary for his safe hands and less points lost.

Seriously!

Did he has keepers who were capable to be top keepers in recent years? No, Simon and Loris weren't. Alisson is so give him a chance and with Reina, he was a 'very young coach' and Pepe as hard-headed.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #145: Aug 24, 2018 10:11:26 am
      Did he has keepers who were capable to be top keepers in recent years? No, Simon and Loris weren't. Alisson is so give him a chance and with Reina, he was a 'very young coach' and Pepe as hard-headed.

Shouldn't a good coach be able to improve a player even if that player isn't the best in the world?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #146: Aug 24, 2018 09:35:14 pm
      Shouldn't a good coach be able to improve a player even if that player isn't the best in the world?

To certain extent yes, but there will be limits as well.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #147: Aug 24, 2018 11:18:04 pm

Seriously!

He will learn extra 'skills' from him, the guys a chancer who has got away with it
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #148: Aug 25, 2018 12:04:21 am
      To certain extent yes, but there will be limits as well.

Oh come on now, both Migs and Karius are professional goalkeepers, any good GK coach should be able to improve them, I cannot see why not.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #149: Aug 25, 2018 12:56:01 am
      Surely Klopp would have got rid of this ā€œchancherā€ after so many years?

Maybe the tools have been inadequate until the quality of Alisson?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #150: Aug 25, 2018 03:20:55 pm
      Oh come on now, both Migs and Karius are professional goalkeepers, any good GK coach should be able to improve them, I cannot see why not.

I'm a teacher, I can improve a student from getting 50s to maybe 60s or 70s but it would be a miracle to get 90s in 2 years.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #151: Aug 25, 2018 08:46:48 pm
      Bet Achterberg has learned a thing or two from Alisson..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #152: Aug 25, 2018 10:53:44 pm
      I'm a teacher, I can improve a student from getting 50s to maybe 60s or 70s but it would be a miracle to get 90s in 2 years.

Fair enough but both Migs and Karius actually got worse under Achterburg.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #153: Aug 26, 2018 05:37:28 am

You can argue that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #154: Aug 26, 2018 06:24:48 am

None of us had ever heard of Karius before he arrived, let alone knew how he was performing then.
      Migs was never anything better than an average keeper anyway.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #155: Aug 26, 2018 09:55:17 am
      None of us had ever heard of Karius before he arrived, let alone knew how he was performing then.
      Migs was never anything better than an average keeper anyway.

Karius was voted 2nd best in the Bundesliga and Mignolet was quite highly rated I seem to remember.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #156: Aug 26, 2018 10:21:36 am
      Karius was voted 2nd best in the Bundesliga and Mignolet was quite highly rated I seem to remember.

In a league where there are few top class keepers other than Neuer at that time.

Freddy Adu was quite highly rated at one time. Being highly rated means jack if you donā€™t go on to meet expectations.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #157: Aug 26, 2018 01:19:19 pm

Had the highest percentage of saved shots or some crap like that if I remember rightly did Simon.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #158: Aug 26, 2018 02:45:38 pm
      Had the highest percentage of saved shots or some crap like that if I remember rightly did Simon.

Exactly they were both pretty good keepers who got worse under Achterburg.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #159: Aug 26, 2018 02:48:44 pm
      Exactly they were both pretty good keepers who got worse under Achterburg.

Or under pressure of a big club ???
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #160: Aug 26, 2018 02:51:08 pm
      Does seem a bit over the top this thread at times, wasn't so long ago Michael Edwards was the devil reincarnated, now everyone's trying to kiss his arse, maybe we should calm down with the slagging off of Achterberg?

Quick Reply