Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Martin Jol leaves Spurs

Read 3619 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Martin Jol leaves Spurs
      Oct 25, 2007 10:04:55 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7063013.stm

Tottenham Hotspur manager Martin Jol has parted company with the club after their poor start to the season.

Jol tendered his resignation before taking charge for the game against Getafe - a 2-1 defeat in the Uefa Cup.

Spurs, who are third from bottom in the Premier League, have won just one league game after spending heavily during the summer transfer window.

Sevilla coach Juane Ramos has reportedly agreed to become Spurs' new manager at the start of next season.

it was claimed Spurs met Ramos in August with a "dizzying" offer to replace the 51-year-old Jol at White Hart Lane.

The Times newspaper has also reported Gus Poyet, the former Tottenham and Chelsea midfield player, has been approached to become the assistant manager.

During the defeat to Getafe in a a Group G game Spurs fans gave vocal support to the Dutchman singing "Stand up for Martin Jol" during the match.

Jol took charge of Spurs in November 2004, taking over from Frenchman Jacques Santini and under the Dutchman the club twice qualified for the Uefa Cup.

Having recruited the likes of Darren Bent, who cost £16.5m, Gareth Bale and French defender Younes Kaboul during the summer, Tottenham had high hopes of challenging for a Champions League place.

But Spurs have suffered a disastrous start, recording just one victory - the 4-0 win over Derby in August - and since the reported meeting with Ramos, Jol has faced constant questioning over his future.

Not surprised. They've had a crap start to the season,and losing to Getafe was the final straw.

Seemed like a nice bloke - but as we all know - no room for them types in football.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Martin Jol leaves Spurs
      Reply #1: Oct 25, 2007 10:10:56 pm
      I think Jol is a great guy, and a great manager, hope he gets another job soon.

Spurs just haven't clicked this season have they? Which is sad cause they are usually a top 5 or 6 team and now they are looking at relegation? Crazy game this is.

What are they gonna do for the rest of the season then, get a manager in on a 1 year deal? Or just have a caretaker manager??
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 25, 2007 10:31:03 pm
      good manager but this had to happen sooner rather than later.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Oct 25, 2007 10:37:00 pm
      If we dont get pako back, then maybe martin jol would be a great coach for us, he can make spurs players score sh*t loads of goals, he would do wonders for kuyt and momo.
      curse
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts | -1 
      • Torres = GOALS!!
      Reply #4: Oct 25, 2007 11:00:29 pm
      Can't believe as a liverpool fan i have had to admire his work frm a far but you have to admit he was a great manager signing the like of Berbatov and Kaboul for spurs! Hope to see him here as Rafas new assistant i agee with u ste_macca and hopefully Berbatov will come with him (unlikely i know but theres always hope
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Oct 26, 2007 01:56:07 am
      It appears he was sacked now! (we knew that anyway though didn't we....)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7063013.stm

Jol sacked as Tottenham manager 

Tottenham Hotspur confirmed the sacking of manager Martin Jol following the club's Uefa Cup defeat by Getafe.
      Reports swept around White Hart Lane during the match that Jol would be leaving but his departure was not confirmed until later on Thursday.

"I shall never forget the Spurs fans," Jol said in a statement released by the club, which also sacked the Dutchman's assistant Chris Hughton.

Clive Allen will manage the team for Sunday's game with Blackburn.

Former Spurs player Allen is the club's development coach and he will be helped to prepare for the game by youth team manager Alex Inglethorpe.

"For me, Martin and Chris' departure is regrettable," said chairman Daniel Levy.

"Our greatest wish was to see results turn in our favour and for there to be no need for change."

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos has reportedly agreed to become Spurs' new manager at the start of next season.

It was claimed Spurs met Ramos in August with a "dizzying" offer to replace the 51-year-old Jol at White Hart Lane.

But with Sevilla in the Champions League Ramos opted to see out his contract with the Spanish club which expires next summer.

Ramos is regarded as one of the most promising coaches in European football after guiding Sevilla to back-to-back Uefa Cup titles.

Sevilla beat Spurs on the way to their success in last season's Uefa Cup, while Ramos also led his side to third in La Liga and victory in the Copa del Rey - Spain's top domestic cup competition.

The Times newspaper also reported Gus Poyet, the former Tottenham and Chelsea midfield player, has been approached to become the assistant manager.

During the defeat to Getafe in a Group G game Spurs fans gave vocal support to the Dutchman, singing "Stand up for Martin Jol".

Jol took charge of Spurs in November 2004, replacing the unpopular Frenchman Jacques Santini, and under him the club twice qualified for the Uefa Cup.

Having recruited the likes of Darren Bent, who cost £16.5m, Gareth Bale and French defender Younes Kaboul during the summer, Tottenham had high hopes of challenging for a Champions League place.

But Spurs suffered a disastrous start, recording just one victory - the 4-0 win over Derby in August - in 10 league games and since the reported meeting with Ramos, Jol has faced constant questioning over his future.

Jol's agent is currently in Brazil and was unavailable for comment late on Thursday as regards the terms of the Dutchman's severance package.

"Given what he did last season I don't think he will have a problem finding a new job," said Getafe boss Michael Laudrup after his side's win.

Jol has been linked with Dutch club Ajax who are without a permanent coach following Henk Ten Cate's departure to Chelsea.

One of my mates does a great impression Martin Jol. Bugger!

Strike while the iron's hot. Berbatov and Torres anyone?

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Oct 26, 2007 09:11:15 am

Strike while the iron's hot. Berbatov and Torres anyone?

That is exactly what i was thinking Kenny, but then its bye bye Crouch....... o well ;D
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Oct 26, 2007 10:49:39 am
      Can't believe as a liverpool fan I have had to admire his work frm a far but you have to admit he was a great manager signing the like of Berbatov and Kaboul for spurs! Hope to see him here as Rafas new assistant I agee with u ste_macca and hopefully Berbatov will come with him (unlikely I know but theres always hope

Id love to see Berbatov with torres upfront at Liverpool, Rafa has the funds to go get him, so youre right theres hope
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #8: Oct 26, 2007 02:08:00 pm
      Torres and Berbatov would actually be insanely good.

I doubt it'll happen though, but PLEASE Dimitir, prove me wrong!  ::)
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Oct 26, 2007 03:38:19 pm
      My boyf thinks Berbatov is awesome, I don't think he's anything amazing tho ??? I bet he will be right, especially if we get Berbatov ere!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Oct 26, 2007 03:47:03 pm
      lad i work with is a spurs fan he said Jol got the sack at half time  :o did any one else hear that? if thats true its the craziest sacking ive ever heard of
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: Oct 26, 2007 04:36:00 pm
      I heard he was sacked before the game, yet he was still on their bench.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Oct 26, 2007 05:06:30 pm
      I heard he was sacked before the game, yet he was still on their bench.

Heard he had 'agreed' to resign before the game.  Then told the players after the final whistle.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Oct 26, 2007 06:04:31 pm
      Heard he had 'agreed' to resign before the game.  Then told the players after the final whistle.

That's what I heard too.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14: Oct 27, 2007 01:59:33 pm
      Jaunde Ramos has left Sevilla and is expected to be confirmed as the new Spurs manager this weekend!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Oct 27, 2007 02:39:33 pm
      Surely the players would've heard stuff though, I think they knew before the game tbh. Dunno though.

Jaunde Ramos has left Sevilla and is expected to be confirmed as the new Spurs manager this weekend!
      Has he left Seville for definite now??
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #16: Oct 27, 2007 03:02:29 pm
      Sad to hear Jol leaving. To be honest in games against the scums, arse, bluenoses and chekski i've been continuously swering at their managers but when against Spurs, amazingly i don't, even though they scored 2 against us, that goes to show how much respect i have for this man. Real gentleman and an honest block. All the best to him and hope to see him back real soon in the PL.

Quick Reply