Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.9%)
      Lazar Markovic
      85 (74.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      6 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      11 (9.6%)
      Fabio Borini
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Mario Balotelli
      3 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 15, 2015 03:00:04 pm

Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 35796 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Re: Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #598: Jan 10, 2015 11:40:59 pm
       Great way to celebrate my birthday with a much deserved win, although more importantly for the side, that at last seem to be geling together. Lets hope they can find some consistancy and it will be onwards and upwards.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #599: Jan 11, 2015 12:06:09 am
      Great way to celebrate my birthday with a much deserved win, although more importantly for the side, that at last seem to be geling together. Lets hope they can find some consistancy and it will be onwards and upwards.

Happy birthday buddy.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #600: Jan 11, 2015 12:09:59 am

Cheers mate
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #601: Jan 11, 2015 12:44:35 am
      Was good to see Lovren being used on the Right, would of hated for Sakho to be moved to suit Lovren coming on. Sakho has really grown into tne team. Keeps the play moving forward with well placed passes. Thought Moreno and him struggled at times as a partnership but hopefully that will come with time.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #602: Jan 11, 2015 12:56:57 am
      Was good to see Lovren being used on the Right, would of hated for Sakho to be moved to suit Lovren coming on. Sakho has really grown into tne team. Keeps the play moving forward with well placed passes. Thought Moreno and him struggled at times as a partnership but hopefully that will come with time.

Really I thought the fact that Sunderland targeted our left flank, probably assuming that Moreno will be bombing up we did really well.

Probably about 75mins Sakho came out with the ball to create a 5 v 4 can't remember who screwed it up but a change to see cool CB's  bringing a ball out.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #603: Jan 11, 2015 01:25:00 am
      Great win that , 3 pts clean sheet, thought all played well especially first half,
      Hope Gerrard coming off was precautionary,

Encouraging that after having to change things we still win ,

Thought Lazar was ace,motm , teamed up well with Cou, Borini did well creating space and making runs other stand outs were Lucas, Can, Sakho, even Migs had a decent 90,

Only 4 off 4th now and not looking at all bad, still lots more work to do but I think things are definately getting better,

Onward & upwards is right,

"Can you hear the doom mongers sing, No, no"

YNWA
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #604: Jan 11, 2015 03:27:08 am
      3 pts is all that matters. 

Was two different teams we saw today.  First half creativity and 2nd half panic while up 1 man.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #605: Jan 11, 2015 09:27:00 am
      Great win that , 3 pts clean sheet, thought all played well especially first half,
      Hope Gerrard coming off was precautionary, Encouraging that after having to change things we still win ,
      Thought Lazar was ace,motm , teamed up well with Cou, Borini did well creating space and making runs other stand outs were Lucas, Can, Sakho, even Migs had a decent 90,
      Only 4 off 4th now and not looking at all bad, still lots more work to do but I think things are definately getting better,
      Onward & upwards is right,

"Can you hear the doom mongers sing, No, no"

YNWA

Can't hear F**k all from the usual suspects/culprits 'cos there's no sign of them, some bullshit Bluetits I know are the same - giving it loads about LFC when we flag a little yet never mentioning their bag of sh*te who are well floundering; now they've got absolutely F**k all to crow about.

LFCexiled
      Reply #606: Jan 11, 2015 10:22:53 am
      Always good to see a short page count post match isn't it? As a rule it means the doom mongering wind ups have to get their troll food elsewhere.

Long may it last.  ;D
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #607: Jan 11, 2015 10:42:46 am
      Really I thought the fact that Sunderland targeted our left flank, probably assuming that Moreno will be bombing up we did really well.

Probably about 75mins Sakho came out with the ball to create a 5 v 4 can't remember who screwed it up but a change to see cool CB's  bringing a ball out.

Aw I'm not saying they didn't play well. Just didn't think they linked up well. Both put each other under undue pressure several times.
      Great to see a centre half carry the ball into the opponents half so much alright.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #608: Jan 11, 2015 10:46:41 am
      Ye this thread is very much... If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

Must be killing them...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #609: Jan 11, 2015 12:09:52 pm
      Another 45 minute performance from the lads but we took all 3 points and that's all that matters. Another one in the run.

Mignolet best performance in a Liverpool shirt. Not only this season but since the day he signed. Looked comfortable, made a couple of good saves and all round didn't do anything wrong.

Can belting first half, really looks like he's settling well into the centre half position. Moving him to the right wing-back in the second really messed him up but he still showed signs of his quality - most notably that attacking run that got Bridcutt sent off.

Skrtel was boss first half, so much so that I forgot Wickham was playing. Second half he done well but couple of times he failed to close down the opposition and allowed them to get their shots in.

Sakho is getting his typical love-in from the forum. Again I disagree. I thought he did alright but nothing special. And the header Sunderland had in the last minute came from Sakho diving into a challenge, getting nowhere near ball or man, and then being out of the game at a crucial time of the game.

Markovic is really starting to prove his worth. Was exceptional in the first half, everything he did was quality. Second half, he struggled slightly initially in the more advanced role but grew into that position as well and made an impact there.

Henderson was his usual self in the game. Kept the ball ticking over, kept it simple, couple of forward runs and an all round solid performance. Nothing special but reliable.

Lucas was as good defensively as he has been in a long time. Broke up almost everything. And in a game where yellow cards were getting thrown round left, right and centre yet Lucas didn't pick up one shows he actually did his job, defesinvely, in a proper manner.

Moreno very quiet throughout the game. So while that shows nothing special going forward, it also shows a sound defensive display. Not much else to say with Albert.

Gerrard didn't really do a great deal but once he went off the absence was notable. Maybe because players got switched round rather than Stevie actually going off but you could tell that his going off knocked us for six - initially. His reaction at the end was boss though.

Coutinho looked like the quality player he can be in the first half, second he was poor though. But without doubt our best player, after Lazzy, in the first half. If he can turn that into 90 minutes he'll be unplayable.

Borini was, is and always will be useless. Should never play for Liverpool Football Club again. It go so bad I wanted Balotelli on.

Lovren kind of messed us up with his introduction but as the game went on, he started to look slightly more comfortable. Long way to go before he cements his place back in the team but this was a step in the right direction.

Balotelli was poor again. I take it back, I didn't wanna see Balotelli come on. Improvement on Borini? Probably. Good enough for Liverpool? Not in a million years.

Overall a win, a clean sheet and the only team in the top 10 (other than Chelsea) to pick up maximum points yesterday. We also move three points closer to the magical 40 point mark :laugh:
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #610: Jan 11, 2015 12:59:22 pm
      As has been said a game of 2 halves.  The conditions may have been a factor as well (Chris Waddle did say that he thought it had helped us in the 1st half and that after half time it might be different).  We should have been well ahead at the break, and had some good opportunities late on to seal it.

I hope Markovic keeps on from here - very good yesterday, and I have to say that I am impressed by his effort and work rate, he does seem to be putting in a shift.

Dare I say it but add Sterling, Sturridge and Lallana to the first half mix (not that you could fit all three in) and we may well have had the 3 or 4 we deserved.

Finally I don't think that Mario is necessarily a bad player, but more he just doesn't seem to fit in to our style of play.  However one of our best performances was away at Spurs - when he played alongside Sturridge (that seems a lifetime ago) and he looked ok that day so who knows.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #611: Jan 11, 2015 02:00:14 pm
      It was not the best game we had this season but i am glad that we got the win.Lazar is getting beter and beter from every game so he is definetly a keeper.I hope we will watch a more good games from Markec.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #612: Jan 11, 2015 04:23:26 pm
      Very good first half. We controlled the game and never looked in any danger. As soon as Sunderland had possession we pressed them and closed any spaces down, our defending was refreshing to watch.

The second half was a little bit different. As soon as Sunderland launched the ball into our box we panicked yet again. I don't know about anybody else but I felt as if we were going to concede in the last ten minutes and end up drawing the game. I don't know why we can't defend balls into the box but we always look a shambles when a cross or a lump comes in.

Overall a solid performance and a vital 3 points though. I have Lazar MOTM but I don't think he was as good as Michael Owen etc made out. He has certainly improved though and looks more confident. I wish he had a bit more bottle though, when he goes past a player he is a bit frightened of getting clattered I think and backs out of challenges. He basically lets the defender tackle him.

Can was a close second. Thought he was solid all game.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #613: Jan 11, 2015 06:12:54 pm
      It was not the best game we had this season but i am glad that we got the win.Lazar is getting beter and beter from every game so he is definetly a keeper.I hope we will watch a more good games from Markec.

I thought it was in our top 3 performances all season... if we'd of had a top striker it could of been 4,5 or 6...

things now looking up!!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #614: Jan 11, 2015 06:21:52 pm
      Thought Markovic was brilliant yesterday, especially in that first half, signs our signings are starting to settle.

Loved that dig by Markovic that hit the bar, what an effort!
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #615: Jan 11, 2015 07:10:31 pm
      I thought it was in our top 3 performances all season... if we'd of had a top striker it could of been 4,5 or 6...

things now looking up!!
      I am still not sure that this was a top performance at all,but i agree that the things will only get bether in this season.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #616: Jan 12, 2015 01:28:33 am
      Great game yesterday. Markovic was awesome, simply awesome. Bittersweet game for me as it was the last time I'll see Stevie in a Liverpool shirt. But obviously the win was the most important thing.

Thought the travelling Liverpool fans were excellent. Was in the Sunderland end just next to the fans and it was incredible noise. So good work to everyone who went.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #617: Jan 12, 2015 03:08:34 pm
      Markovic's goal taught me one thing, we need to harass opposition defenders, unsettle them and score. We need more of Markovic type players in our squad. Cou realy needs to put in some serious shooting practice.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #618: Jan 12, 2015 07:01:17 pm

things now looking up!!
      The score is only that counts
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #619: Jan 12, 2015 07:04:14 pm

things now looking up!!

We barely have 3 good performances all season mate so wouldn't be hard.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #620: Jan 12, 2015 09:01:55 pm
      Liked Lucas in the holding role today , Lazar was threatening constantly,Coutinho a young maestro ,Good solid performances and if we' d had a striker 4-0

Quick Reply