Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.9%)
      Lazar Markovic
      85 (74.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      6 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      11 (9.6%)
      Fabio Borini
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Mario Balotelli
      3 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 15, 2015 03:00:04 pm

Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 36153 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Re: Live: Sunderland V Liverpool
      Reply #552: Jan 10, 2015 03:07:48 pm

Afraid Hendo is not captain material, had s very poor second half when he should have raised his game. Tried to take control with the free kick and cocked it up.

Noticed.. but I wondered if that was because of the opposition?
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Re: Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #553: Jan 10, 2015 03:16:48 pm
      A good result.  Sounds like it got a got nervy towards the end.  This team will soon learn that a second goal around 75 mins, away from home or at home will kill teams off. Clean sheet too, lets get a lot more of those under our belt.  Lazar shows quality, he can and will only get better. Sounds like Mignolet likes playing behind that back three.  Can played well too. Buy a striker, get Danny back and we're rockin' in the second half of the season!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #554: Jan 10, 2015 03:27:06 pm
      Is it just me or did the painting from the OP remind me of those shown on the credits of Captain Scarlet?

Captain Scarlet! De de de de de de de....

That said, I never saw Captain S pull those faces in the real tv programme. Can't figure out why.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #555: Jan 10, 2015 03:34:09 pm
      Mignolet-7
      Can-7
      Skrtel-6.5
      Sakho-6.5
      Markovic-8.5
      Henderson-7
      Lucas-7
      Moreno-6.5
      Gerrard-6.5
      Coutinho-8
      Borini-6

Lovren-6.5
      Balotelli-6
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #556: Jan 10, 2015 03:37:45 pm
      My ratings:

Mignolet: probably his best performance all season, although f*ck knows what he was doing with Johnson's shot. Some good work from set pieces though with swirly deliveries, some reasonable kicking too. The more I watch him the more I'm convinced he's at his best when he doesn't think too much. 7/10.

Skrtel: can't remember him putting a single foot wrong, and a fabulous challenge when Johnson's shot came back off the bar. 8/10.

Sakho: typical no-nonsense defending from the big man, I really like him. 7/10.

Can: again did very little wrong, looked accomplished in his various roles today. 7/10.

Moreno: just what the doctor ordered for Alberto, a proper full backs performance. Solid, unspectacular, gave little away and didn't get overly involved in the attacking third. 6/10.

Markovic: really is beginning to find his feet now, and has the wow! Factor in spades. In the first half he could easily have had a hat-trick from full back, yet again his best performance so far. We seem to be saying that every week. 8/10.

Henderson: some good moments mixed in with some trademark silliness. All in all though a decent performance from Jordan, shouldn't let him take free-kicks though. 6/10.

Lucas: I thought he was absolutely magnificent and clear MOM. I'm not sure I've seen him play better for a long time, and to me was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. 9/10.

Gerrard: was badly missed when he went off, and had a big part to play in the goal. I like him wide right and campaigned quietly for the move a few weeks back. 8/10.

Coutinho: magnificent first half but fell away a little in the second. On the ball he is the equal of everyone in the premiership in terms of creating, with the only possible exception of David Silva. 8/10.

Borini: terrible really let's be honest. 4/10.

Subs:

The future captain: excellent when he came on all but one rash challenge for the booking. Hopefully the first step of the long road back for him. 6/10.

Baloltelli: poor with the pressing and shot on sight, but still offered more than Borini. 5/10.

The boss:

Make no mistake about it, this was a big win. To go there and play pretty well in those conditions and win with something in hand was a fine effort. That's one defeat in thirteen matches, well in boss. 8/10.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #557: Jan 10, 2015 04:03:36 pm
      Does anyone know when a full games gets uploaded on average after a game?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #558: Jan 10, 2015 04:14:47 pm
      Good win good performance. but shocking finishing
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #559: Jan 10, 2015 04:35:28 pm
      Take todays team and sub Studge for Borini and we have something there.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #560: Jan 10, 2015 04:42:11 pm
      Good win. Lazar beams was something else. Need a bit more luck and a bit more composure in front of goal. Skrtel's touch after Johnson's kick was almost as important as Markovic's goal.
      Sturridge in for Borini (keep Balotelli as a sub - he looks hungry) and we have a team here.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,578 posts | 735 
      Re: Live: Sunderland V Liverpool
      Reply #561: Jan 10, 2015 05:11:34 pm

Afraid Hendo is not captain material, had s very poor second half when he should have raised his game. Tried to take control with the free kick and cocked it up.

So in 45 mins we can decide that someone is not captain material?

no wonder managers get sacked a few months these days ;D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #562: Jan 10, 2015 05:17:12 pm
      Sunderland 0 Liverpool FC 1: How £115m of 'flops' are morphing in front of our eyes and 4 other things we learned at the Stadium of Light

£115m of 'flops' morphing in front of our eyes

Summer 2014 was seen as a key transfer market for Liverpool FC, with Luis Suarez needing to be replaced and Champions League football giving the Reds the opportunity to attract world class talent and push on from last year’s second place finish.

Brendan Rodgers’ shopping basket – or at least the one finally secured by the Anfield transfer committee – has come in for plenty of stick, much of it rightly (especially the absence of a marquee striker).

But forget about whispering it quietly, it’s time to say it out loud. The 'flops' are morphing before our very eyes.

Before his injury the most expensive of those signings, £25m Adam Lallana, had found his comfort zone alongside Coutinho and Sterling in a front three that was starting to mitigate for Daniel Sturridge’s lengthy absence. Those two dropped shoulders in front of the Kop for his second goal against Swansea oozed class.

£20m Lazar Markovic is getting better with every game, clearly benefiting from time and a more defined role in the team, yesterday switched to the right hand side, while Emre Can’s versatility (at centre back and then switched to a much more forward role after Gerrard’s injury) could yet make him a £10m bargain.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-0-liverpool-fc-1-8418810

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #563: Jan 10, 2015 05:39:39 pm
      It is nothing short of astonishing how quiet this forum is after we win.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #564: Jan 10, 2015 05:44:19 pm
      It is nothing short of astonishing how quiet this forum is after we win.

Been that way for years Mick.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #565: Jan 10, 2015 05:48:13 pm
      Well in lads. Good win, and a well deserved one. Could have won by a much bigger margin.

Could have changed so much has Johnson's effort went in, however it didn't and another win is another win.

Markovic and Coutinho were the two outstanding players today, both were our only attacking outlets.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #566: Jan 10, 2015 05:53:50 pm
      Sunderland 0 Liverpool FC 1: How £115m of 'flops' are morphing in front of our eyes and 4 other things we learned at the Stadium of Light

£115m of 'flops' morphing in front of our eyes

Summer 2014 was seen as a key transfer market for Liverpool FC, with Luis Suarez needing to be replaced and Champions League football giving the Reds the opportunity to attract world class talent and push on from last year’s second place finish.

Brendan Rodgers’ shopping basket – or at least the one finally secured by the Anfield transfer committee – has come in for plenty of stick, much of it rightly (especially the absence of a marquee striker).

But forget about whispering it quietly, it’s time to say it out loud. The 'flops' are morphing before our very eyes.

Before his injury the most expensive of those signings, £25m Adam Lallana, had found his comfort zone alongside Coutinho and Sterling in a front three that was starting to mitigate for Daniel Sturridge’s lengthy absence. Those two dropped shoulders in front of the Kop for his second goal against Swansea oozed class.

£20m Lazar Markovic is getting better with every game, clearly benefiting from time and a more defined role in the team, yesterday switched to the right hand side, while Emre Can’s versatility (at centre back and then switched to a much more forward role after Gerrard’s injury) could yet make him a £10m bargain.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-0-liverpool-fc-1-8418810

I don't think Moreno is doing all that bad either. Could be a bit better at times but doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as Lovren and Balotelli have been. The latter seems to be putting a bit more often into his movement though at least in the past couple of games. I love how Balotelli holds the ball up, he's come up against some pretty strong players this season and I've not seen anybody get round him to get the ball.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #567: Jan 10, 2015 05:56:32 pm
      I don't think Moreno is doing all that bad either. Could be a bit better at times but doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as Lovren and Balotelli have been. The latter seems to be putting a bit more often into his movement though at least in the past couple of games. I love how Balotelli holds the ball up, he's come up against some pretty strong players this season and I've not seen anybody get round him to get the ball.

Factor in just how good Lallana was looking before he picked up a nick and yeah the transfer window looks better and better.

Never understood how people thought we were going to add a whole load of new players and they were going to hit it off from the word go.

It takes time.
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #568: Jan 10, 2015 05:58:27 pm
      Very nervy last 10 mins, was delighted we held on. I thought Markovic was excellent and fully deserved MOM.
      3 points and a clean sheet can only be good for confidence and morale.
      Onwards and upwards Redmen!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #569: Jan 10, 2015 06:02:30 pm

Factor in just how good Lallana was looking before he picked up a nick and yeah the transfer window looks better and better.

Never understood how people thought we were going to add a whole load of new players and they were going to hit it off from the word go.

It takes time.

That's the joy of it isn't it? We're beginning to see the best of our new boys slowly but surely and every time we play now there are individual and team improvements all over the park.

The futures bright I tells ya.  ;D
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #570: Jan 10, 2015 06:15:55 pm
      That's the joy of it isn't it? We're beginning to see the best of our new boys slowly but surely and every time we play now there are individual and team improvements all over the park.

The futures bright I tells ya.  ;D

We just need to keep hold of our best players, but then again we wouldn't sell or get rid of our best players now would we, that would be very foolish!

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #571: Jan 10, 2015 06:16:58 pm
      Was quality that, looked made up for Mignolet and rightly so, he was much better today.

https://twitter.com/LFC_Vines/status/553977227290107904
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2015 07:27:22 pm by JD »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #572: Jan 10, 2015 06:18:58 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #573: Jan 10, 2015 06:44:17 pm

It takes time.

The biggest issue this season was and always has been the injury to Sturridge IMO. It got compounded a huge chunk by not bringing in someone who can play a similar way.

That's awesome!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #574: Jan 10, 2015 06:49:04 pm
      A fantastic first half for us , how we weren't up by 3nil at half time i'll never know . Markovic was the main man today along with Coutinho .Rodgers new signings seem to be clicking a lot better in recent games , Markovic , Can , Lallana , Moreno are by far the best of them . Balotelli isn't dead in the water either i still think he could be a factor for us .

Quick Reply