Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli)

Read 41650 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #115: May 30, 2016 01:38:53 pm
      Probs.

If he does I seriously hope he turns in to a Shevchenko sized flop!

Well of course mate, we want all the big money signings that our rivals buy to fail miserably  ;)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #116: May 30, 2016 02:17:20 pm
      Could probably get 2-3 seasons out of Higuain, always thought Real were stupid to get rid and replace him with Benzema tbh. As for 50-60m, I wouldn't be against it, he is a proven goal scorer!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #117: May 30, 2016 02:24:07 pm
      Could probably get 2-3 seasons out of Higuain, always thought Real were stupid to get rid and replace him with Benzema tbh. As for 50-60m, I wouldn't be against it, he is a proven goal scorer!

Not only a goal machine mate his work rate is immense as well.

He would be the closest player quality wise to Luis since he left I would love him here.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #118: May 30, 2016 02:33:59 pm
      Not only a goal machine mate his work rate is immense as well.

He would be the closest player quality wise to Luis since he left I would love him here.

Couldn't agree more. This guy is in his peak and should be for the next 2 seasons. Take a gamble, FSG/Klopp!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #119: May 30, 2016 02:50:14 pm
      Always thought he was a bit overrated. Rather develop Origi than spunk the cash on Higuain.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #120: May 30, 2016 03:42:37 pm
      Always thought he was a bit overrated. Rather develop Origi than spunk the cash on Higuain.

Really?

He averages 1 goal in less than 2 games in every club he's played for.

He is about as consistent as they come.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #121: May 30, 2016 04:00:42 pm

Thought this then read then this..!!!

Really?

And that is very impressive.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #122: May 30, 2016 04:24:02 pm
      Really?

Give them big Ben and £20m in exchange for Gonzalo. Perfect scenario...

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #123: May 30, 2016 09:35:52 pm
      We should have got him before he went to Napoli. Still think he'd be an amazing signing.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #124: May 30, 2016 09:44:22 pm
      No thanks we need pace
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #125: May 30, 2016 09:50:13 pm
      Don't think we are in a position to be turning players like Higuain down.

Not sure we are in a position for him to take our call at the moment either.

He's a big name player with big wage demads.

Think that rules us out.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #126: May 31, 2016 03:42:09 am
      Really?

Also seen him play games where he misses some absolute sitters.

He's not quick, decent work rate, not really a creator with the ball and the Serie A isn't what it used to be.

Happy for someone else to come in and spend that money on him.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #127: May 31, 2016 10:16:45 am
      Higuain is a brilliant player.

But I fear he would be another Morientes. I'd be a bit uncomfortable spending so much on a player of that age who I'm not entirely confident would fit in with the players we have here.  Too much of a gamble for me so I'd look elsewhere.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #128: May 31, 2016 02:45:28 pm
      Higuain is a tough nut to crack because the majority of his career has been played in two leagues where breathing on an opponent is a bookable offense. Which isn't to say he can't do well in a more physical league with thug defenders, just something to consider.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #129: May 31, 2016 04:00:34 pm
      People saying no to higuain is ridiculous. Pace or no pace, he is a brilliant striker and everybody miss sitters from time to time. Suarez don't have pace either.

All that counts is how many goals he can score.

If he is affordable and his wages are something we can afford then why not? Not only he has few years in him, but our young strikers could learn a lot from him.

BTW if he was going to arse or mancs for 20-32m, then we would have crying our hearts for why we didn't make a bid.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #130: May 31, 2016 04:03:46 pm
      If a player wants to play for us I would consider them regardless of who they are. Consider them and then make a decision on based off what Klopp and his management team think is best. You can't teach players to play with passion for their club, which is why I love when players want to come here, sometimes it makes our jobs just that much easier.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #131: May 31, 2016 04:06:05 pm
      Higuain scored a record number of goals in Serie A last season. He has massive experience, and still 'only' 28. Think would be great if we can attract someone like that to the club.
      I'm a big fan of Daniel, and would love to keep him too - but if Higuain signed, would get pretty crowded. Hard to know. Maybe we could keep Higuain/Sturridge/Origi and let Ings go? Dunno.
      Not going to go into ALL the pros/cons of Higuain vs. Sturridge, suffice to say if it can down to a direct choice, would probably pick Higuain.
      First potential signing that's got the blood going a bit...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #132: May 31, 2016 04:20:06 pm
      Higuain scored a record number of goals in Serie A last season. He has massive experience, and still 'only' 28. Think would be great if we can attract someone like that to the club.
      I'm a big fan of Daniel, and would love to keep him too - but if Higuain signed, would get pretty crowded. Hard to know. Maybe we could keep Higuain/Sturridge/Origi and let Ings go? Dunno.
      Not going to go into ALL the pros/cons of Higuain vs. Sturridge, suffice to say if it can down to a direct choice, would probably pick Higuain.
      First potential signing that's got the blood going a bit...

Yeah mate, I think the problem is no one has any real faith that Danny can play for a full season without injury.

I'm not Higuain's greatest fan, but he scores goals and if we could afford him without it impacting on our other transfer targets I would be all for it. Whether we need him if Danny did happen to stay fit is another matter.

I would bring in our main targets and if we can still afford him after we have signed those, then try to sign him. Personally I think he will cost way more than we are willing to pay for a player with no sell on value and who would presumably want top wages too.

Think this is more likely to be an agent trying to drum up business rather than Liverpool going for a top player. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #133: May 31, 2016 04:27:22 pm
      People saying no to higuain is ridiculous. Pace or no pace, he is a brilliant striker and everybody miss sitters from time to time. Suarez don't have pace either.

All that counts is how many goals he can score.

If he is affordable and his wages are something we can afford then why not? Not only he has few years in him, but our young strikers could learn a lot from him.

BTW if he was going to arse or mancs for 20-32m, then we would have crying our hearts for why we didn't make a bid.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but they're wanting around £60m for him and we have far more pressing areas of the pitch need sorting before bringing in another striker, especially as it would more than likely wipe out our summer budget.

If we needed nobody else then yeah great, spend that on one player but we're a few years away from that situation
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #134: May 31, 2016 04:29:27 pm
      Yeah mate, I think the problem is no one has any real faith that Danny can play for a full season without injury.

I'm not Higuain's greatest fan, but he scores goals and if we could afford him without it impacting on our other transfer targets I would be all for it. Whether we need him if Danny did happen to stay fit is another matter.

I would bring in our main targets and if we can still afford him after we have signed those, then try to sign him. Personally I think he will cost way more than we are willing to pay for a player with no sell on value and who would presumably want top wages too.

Think this is more likely to be an agent trying to drum up business rather than Liverpool going for a top player. 

Not sure why his agent would pick Liverpool to try get the word out, not in Europa, 'low down' the PL etc... maybe he does have a special place in his heart for us :)

Don't think up front is top priority to strengthen compared to other areas on the pitch, but this guy still has fuel in the tank, and like many, though I think Danny is an excellent player, there is just the nagging feeling he has two thirds of a season in him at best.

Though imo back 5 and CM should be the priority to sort out/sign 'top' players in this window (think we're decently served up front already)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #135: May 31, 2016 04:34:29 pm
      Not sure why his agent would pick Liverpool to try get the word out, not in Europa, 'low down' the PL etc...

All good reasons why other clubs wouldn't be put off mate. If we were in the CL, it might put clubs off going for him because they believe he wants CL. Using us ensures every top club thinks they have more to offer than we do :(
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #136: May 31, 2016 07:37:34 pm
      Sorry to burst your bubble mate but they're wanting around £60m for him and we have far more pressing areas of the pitch need sorting before bringing in another striker, especially as it would more than likely wipe out our summer budget.

If we needed nobody else then yeah great, spend that on one player but we're a few years away from that situation

I disagree Debs, assuming Benteke is in his way out we absolutely 100% will need another striker. I don't think we can assume Sturridge's injury problems are over, I suspect he will always suffer from injuries given that he always has, silly (not to mention very risky) to pretend otherwise. So that leaves the unproven (but promising) Origi. He impressed the 2nd half of the season but I wouldn't pin the tail on his back just yet. And beyond that we've got the unproven Danny Ings (again some promise but only one season in the top flight and a dozen or so goals to his name) and Firmino who in truth is a false 9 who was doing a job up there but he's not a striker.

We've got a few holes, we need a creative centre-mid, we need a left back, we could use some width (we don't have any!) and some depth at centre-half but we will deffo need another forward, I'd personally prefer to see hybrid player who can also operate in wide areas (someone in the Sanchez mould). I figure Bentek would still command a fair price and the TV money alone is a massive pot of money so I'd like to think the manager will be backed in the transfer market.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #137: May 31, 2016 07:54:18 pm
      I disagree Debs, assuming Benteke is in his way out we absolutely 100% will need another striker. I don't think we can assume Sturridge's injury problems are over, I suspect he will always suffer from injuries given that he always has, silly (not to mention very risky) to pretend otherwise. So that leaves the unproven (but promising) Origi. He impressed the 2nd half of the season but I wouldn't pin the tail on his back just yet. And beyond that we've got the unproven Danny Ings (again some promise but only one season in the top flight and a dozen or so goals to his name) and Firmino who in truth is a false 9 who was doing a job up there but he's not a striker.

We've got a few holes, we need a creative centre-mid, we need a left back, we could use some width (we don't have any!) and some depth at centre-half but we will deffo need another forward, I'd personally prefer to see hybrid player who can also operate in wide areas (someone in the Sanchez mould). I figure Bentek would still command a fair price and the TV money alone is a massive pot of money so I'd like to think the manager will be backed in the transfer market.

If we sell Benteke and Studge then you're probably right mate but without European games we don't need 4 strikers plus Firmino when we only play 1 out and out striker.

We can't be spending £60m on a striker that's only going to play when Studge is injured or in the domestic cups, so if we need him then we don't need Daniel.

Quick Reply