Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli)

Read 40602 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli)
      Reply #253: Jun 23, 2016 02:10:42 pm
      You serious??????

£30 million wouldn't get this club a Benteke or Carroll!!!

Yes you're proving my point flunking superstar money on players who are not superstars.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #254: Jun 23, 2016 03:13:57 pm
      If that got you excited then you wouldn't have lasted the Suarez-era without wanking yourself in to an early grave.

I'm just more interested why you discount close range goals? You sound hard to please. Or is that an Aussy rules thing?

Higuain is a proven goalscorer. Better than any other striker we have except maybe Sturridge although he has glass legs.

Although you used the word "douche" so it's probably pointless engaging in conversation with you.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #255: Jun 23, 2016 03:33:45 pm
      I'm just more interested why you discount close range goals? You sound hard to please. Or is that an Aussy rules thing?

Higuain is a proven goalscorer. Better than any other striker we have except maybe Sturridge although he has glass legs.

Although you used the word "douche" so it's probably pointless engaging in conversation with you.

Sturridge scored a close range goal against Wales that showed his ability and class.

Lavezzi scored a close range goal that showed his movement and finishing.

Two great goals scored from close range that i haven't discounted because they show the ability of each player.

Higuain missed a one on one from 6 yards and then tapped home the rebound into an empty net (Lavezzi's pass, not Messi. My mistake) and then stood there with an open goal to tap into thanks to Messi for his second goal.

Why does this impress you? Is this an *insert your nationality* thing? Are you easily impressed? Do you glorify players because they're the flavour of the month? Have you watched him more than 5 times since moving to Napoli in the Serie A?

If you answer yes to any of the above, it is pointless engaging in conversation with you also :)
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #256: Jun 23, 2016 03:39:43 pm

Why does this impress you? Because he scored two goals. Remember when Crouchie couldn't score in 19 games? Scoring isn't that easy, you've still gotta get in the right place and put the ball in the net.

Is this an *insert your nationality* thing? Yeah I'm Australian

Are you easily impressed? Yeah I'm Australian

Do you glorify players because they're the flavour of the month? Yeah I'm Australian

Have you watched him more than 5 times since moving to Napoli in the Serie A?   No I'm Australian

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #257: Jun 23, 2016 04:09:42 pm
      Yes you're proving my point flunking superstar money on players who are not superstars.

Higuain is proven and easily one of the top 10 strikers on the planet his record is prolific with EVERY club he has played for and in EVERY competition.

But to each their own.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #258: Jun 23, 2016 05:33:06 pm
      probably pointless engaging in conversation with you.

Why does this impress you? Because he scored two goals. Remember when Crouchie couldn't score in 19 games? Scoring isn't that easy, you've still gotta get in the right place and put the ball in the net.

Is this an *insert your nationality* thing? Yeah I'm Australian

Are you easily impressed? Yeah I'm Australian

Do you glorify players because they're the flavour of the month? Yeah I'm Australian

Have you watched him more than 5 times since moving to Napoli in the Serie A?   No I'm Australian

it is pointless engaging in conversation with you also :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #259: Jun 24, 2016 04:40:59 am
      From the little I've seen of him, I'd get him in as well. He scores goals and we need as many as we can get.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #260: Jun 25, 2016 08:14:53 pm
      He scored two tap ins put on a plate by Messi.

And like any decent striker, he was there to tap them in. Nobody else was Huh!

Must read back over your early posts to see if you derided Suarez the same when he scored a tap in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #261: Jun 25, 2016 08:31:46 pm
      Doesn't matter, read he signed a new contract.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #262: Jun 25, 2016 10:17:11 pm
      Singed a new contract with Napoli.

Lock it up.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #263: Jun 25, 2016 10:19:10 pm
      So that's what all the rumours were aimed towards.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #264: Jun 26, 2016 09:53:09 am
      Must read back over your early posts to see if you derided Suarez the same when he scored a tap in.

If you want to be that sad, go for it :D

Let me know how it goes.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #265: Jun 27, 2016 09:45:43 am
      3rd final for Argentina.

3rd sitter he has missed. 

World Cup final, Copa America 2015 and now 2016.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #266: Jun 29, 2016 04:13:18 pm
      Reports from his agent (his brother) saying he has refused a new contract at Napoli.

Go on Jürgen...
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #267: Jun 29, 2016 04:25:00 pm
      Reports from his agent (his brother) saying he has refused a new contract at Napoli.

Go on Jürgen...

His brother also said - "It's Napoli's right to ask for his buyout clause, but we will opt for the path of not renewing the contract and he will be free in 2018. In these conditions we are going to respect the contract that we have with Napoli but we are not going to renew it under any circumstances. Gonzalo is super professional and will continue to give the maximum."

So yeah, like we are gonna spend £72m on ONE player for a position we don't really need strengthening, esp with the agent being very very clear on the CL aspirations.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #268: Jun 29, 2016 05:56:16 pm
      His brother also said - "It's Napoli's right to ask for his buyout clause, but we will opt for the path of not renewing the contract and he will be free in 2018. In these conditions we are going to respect the contract that we have with Napoli but we are not going to renew it under any circumstances. Gonzalo is super professional and will continue to give the maximum."

So yeah, like we are gonna spend £72m on ONE player for a position we don't really need strengthening, esp with the agent being very very clear on the CL aspirations.

It's their right to ask for the buyout clause of £72m but it is their obligation to let him go for free in 2018 if he doesn't re-sign. What do you think makes more sense if you're the ownership of Napoli?
      • Sell him this summer for whatever reasonable price you can get
      • Hold on to him another year of paying his wages, and then end up with millions of £ of unrealized gain by not having sold him

I'm not saying we're actually interested in him and to be honest I'd rather we stuck with the personnel we've got and invest in other areas of the pitch that we're significantly more depleted in. And I certainly don't think our ownership would be willing to pay what he'll go for regardless for a striker (my guess would be ~£40-45m for him). But being said, Higuain will not be sold for anywhere near his buyout clause this summer, and if he's kept by Napoli with knowledge that he will not renew his contract, they'll be making an awful business decision.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #269: Jun 29, 2016 06:54:35 pm
      It's their right to ask for the buyout clause of £72m but it is their obligation to let him go for free in 2018 if he doesn't re-sign. What do you think makes more sense if you're the ownership of Napoli?
      • Hold on to him another year of paying his wages, and then end up with millions of £ of unrealized gain by not having sold him

I'm not saying we're actually interested in him and to be honest I'd rather we stuck with the personnel we've got and invest in other areas of the pitch that we're significantly more depleted in. And I certainly don't think our ownership would be willing to pay what he'll go for regardless for a striker (my guess would be ~£40-45m for him). But being said, Higuain will not be sold for anywhere near his buyout clause this summer, and if he's kept by Napoli with knowledge that he will not renew his contract, they'll be making an awful business decision.

If I'm the owner, I'll definitely not sell for the figure you quoted - ~£40-45m, esp in the current market.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #270: Jun 29, 2016 07:08:27 pm
      3rd final for Argentina.

3rd sitter he has missed. 

World Cup final, Copa America 2015 and now 2016.

Out of all this guys impeccable stats these are the ones you highlight? ...lololo
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #271: Jun 29, 2016 09:15:28 pm
      Out of all this guys impeccable stats these are the ones you highlight? ...lololo

I think it's fair, they were really bad misses in big moments. I personally don't think it's a coincidence that Real Madrid finally got their champions league the season immediately following his summer departure.

He's a good player but not the top player some on here are making him out to be, imo.

if he's kept by Napoli with knowledge that he will not renew his contract, they'll be making an awful business decision.

Yeah but if he's free in 2018 they could still sell him next summer. They would obviously lose money on what they could sell him for this summer but to them he might be worth more to keep in the team for another season.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #272: Jun 29, 2016 09:58:14 pm
      If I'm the owner, I'll definitely not sell for the figure you quoted - ~£40-45m, esp in the current market.

Someone offers you £45m for your 28 year-old striker who's refusing to sign a new contract, who you're paying €5.5m/year and who will be worth nothing for you in 2018, and you're going to say no? Keep in mind that next summer, they'll have essentially no leverage and will basically have to sell him for the best offers they get or keep him for another year and let him go for nothing.

So essentially what you're saying is that two years of Gonzalo Higuain between 28-30 years old is worth ~£55m to you. I know the market seems a bit inflated, but I'm not so sure about that.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #273: Jun 30, 2016 02:27:01 am
      I wonder how much football people actually watch that post on these boards.

The way this lad plays is chalk and cheese from Klopps style the signing of Mane is an indicator of the type of dynamic footballer Jürgen is after.

For all he's goals and records Higuain isn't that player.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #274: Jun 30, 2016 06:31:55 am
      Someone offers you £45m for your 28 year-old striker who's refusing to sign a new contract, who you're paying €5.5m/year and who will be worth nothing for you in 2018, and you're going to say no? Keep in mind that next summer, they'll have essentially no leverage and will basically have to sell him for the best offers they get or keep him for another year and let him go for nothing.

So essentially what you're saying is that two years of Gonzalo Higuain between 28-30 years old is worth ~£55m to you. I know the market seems a bit inflated, but I'm not so sure about that.

The way I see it, Atletico and PSG might be the only serious bidders. I'm not sure if Higuain is suited to Simeone's style of play. PSG makes perfect sense as Emery's style allows Cavani to play in the #10 role, with Di Maria and Pastore/Moura on the other side behind Higuain. So, I'll gladly let a bidding war go on until Aug 31. I'm sure he could go for more than 45m.

Juventus may be? An all-Argentine front line looks enticing and they might be looking to replace Morata, and likely selling Zaza as well. Lets see.
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2016 06:54:17 am by Vicks86 »
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #275: Jun 30, 2016 10:01:48 am
      I wonder how much football people actually watch that post on these boards.

The way this lad plays is chalk and cheese from Klopps style the signing of Mane is an indicator of the type of dynamic footballer Jürgen is after.

For all he's goals and records Higuain isn't that player.

I watch enough to know that Higuain would fit into any top 6 side in the world. We aren't gonna go for him and it's just paper talk but if there was a sniff I would go collect him from the airport myself.

Quick Reply