Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli)

Read 40609 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli)
      Reply #46: Jun 29, 2015 09:02:04 pm
      Sketchy source, but it's silly season so why not....
      http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/587559/Liverpool-Chelsea-Arsenal-Man-Utd-Nathaniel-Clyne-Gonzalo-Higuain-Transfer-Gossip
      Gonzalo Higuain demands Napoli accept Liverpool bid as Nathaniel Clyne undergoes medical
      GONZALO HIGUAIN has told Napoli he wants to join Liverpool, according to reports.
      By Anthony Chapman
      PUBLISHED: 10:51, Mon, Jun 29, 2015 | UPDATED: 10:56, Mon, Jun 29, 2015

The striker has been linked with a move away from Italy this summer following the club's failure to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Rafa Benitez also stepped down as manager in order to join Higuain's former club Real Madrid, and the Argentina international looks set to follow.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea are believed to be interested, but Italian newspaper Sport Mediaset claims that Higuain has pleaded with Napoli to accept a bid from Liverpool.

The Reds are on the look-out for a new forward after failing to replace Barcelona-bound Luis Suarez last summer.

Brendan Rodgers has already signed Burnley's Danny Ings on a free transfer while also wrapping up deals for Manchester City's James Milner and Hoffenheim's Roberto Firmino.

Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne has arrived on Merseyside ahead of his Anfield switch, and Higuain could be the next big name to link up with Rodgers.

Compared to the Baccas, Bentekes and the like this link is a million times more like what we need. If we got Illarra and Higuain I'd back us top 4 without hesitation, even with Brendan as manager :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #47: Jun 29, 2015 09:05:27 pm
      Compared to the Baccas, Bentekes and the like this link is a million times more like what we need. If we got Illarra and Higuain I'd back us top 4 without hesitation, even with Brendan as manager :D

Eh, less of that! :D
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #48: Jun 29, 2015 09:12:48 pm
      Even if he costs 40-45 million he'd be worth it, big name, star signing. Getting Firmino was a step in the right direction to improving our reputation in the transfer market, this would certainly make some waves.

Fantastic player, he's what we need.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #49: Jun 29, 2015 09:14:12 pm
      I just can't imagine someone else wouldn't overpay (Chelsea, Mancs, etc...) for him if he's available.

Now if it's true that he wanted to come to Liverpool that could shake things up I suppose.

Maybe Rafa had a word with him on the way out and told him to head our way ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Jun 29, 2015 09:16:45 pm
      I just can't imagine someone else wouldn't overpay (Chelsea, Mancs, etc...) for him if he's available.

Now if it's true that he wanted to come to Liverpool that could shake things up I suppose.

Rafa sure does like hooking us up with players.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #51: Jun 29, 2015 09:21:28 pm

Or maybe he heard the comments about us signing Firmino and what striker wouldn't want to be fed opportunites to score by our 2 Brazillians  ;D

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #52: Jun 29, 2015 09:22:59 pm
      Or maybe he heard the comments about us signing Firmino and what striker wouldn't want to be fed opportunites to score by our 2 Brazillians  ;D

Works for me. I have to say I'm hugely skeptical this could happen....but am sure hoping that when wake up tomorrow morning and check out Twitter it will be abuzz with how we "swooped" in to get a deal done.

Wishful thinking I suppose.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #53: Jun 29, 2015 09:26:12 pm
      Works for me. I have to say I'm hugely skeptical this could happen....but am sure hoping that when wake up tomorrow morning and check out Twitter it will be abuzz with how we "swooped" in to get a deal done.

Wishful thinking I suppose.

I'm sceptical about us possibly signing him due to the £60m price tag but hey, if players of his level are openly saying they want to come to Liverpool then that's pretty impressive  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #54: Jun 29, 2015 09:27:52 pm
      I'm sceptical about us possibly signing him due to the £60m price tag but hey, if players of his level are openly saying they want to come to Liverpool then that's pretty impressive  ;D

I know, I'd love to see that actually quoted with a good source, unfortunately it's probably just another "mind reader" journalist making crap up. :(
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #55: Jun 29, 2015 09:28:28 pm
      Love love love Higuain.

Dream striker signing.

But with a £60 million price tag this is one dream that won't come true.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #56: Jun 29, 2015 09:30:42 pm
      It sells papers ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Jun 29, 2015 09:32:09 pm
      I know, I'd love to see that actually quoted with a good source, unfortunately it's probably just another "mind reader" journalist making crap up. :(

Same here mate.  Which ex Brazillian player said that anyway because that kind of "marketing" can only be good for the Club.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #58: Jun 29, 2015 09:41:09 pm
      £60 million? That's as crazy as us asking £50 million for Raheem  :D
      I'd love to have Higuain here though, he was an absolute workhorse for Argentina in the WC last year, the type of player that would walk straight into our team.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #59: Jun 29, 2015 09:51:36 pm
      If we really were selling Raheem for 50m it could be a Torres/Caroll situation.

Yes we agree to pay 60m but we get 50m for Sterling making the net spend something like 20m (after QPR's cut)?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #60: Jun 29, 2015 10:13:55 pm
      I wouldn't want us to pay his release clause as it is ridiculous and with that kind of money we could sign 2 or 3 very good players, but for a more reasonable fee, I would be totally in favour of bringing in Higuain. I think he's actually quite underrated in this forum - a lot of people seem to think very little of him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #61: Jun 29, 2015 10:19:26 pm
      I wouldn't want us to pay his release clause as it is ridiculous and with that kind of money we could sign 2 or 3 very good players, but for a more reasonable fee, I would be totally in favour of bringing in Higuain. I think he's actually quite underrated in this forum - a lot of people seem to think very little of him.

I'd be 100% behind a bid for him but I don't think we actually have done.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #62: Jun 29, 2015 10:30:47 pm
      Lots of sources linking us to Higuain today. All of them are awful sources.

He is a striker. We need a striker. It was only a matter of time before we got linked with him. If we wouldn't pay 21M for a 29 year old I doubt we will spend 40+ million on a 27, almost 28 year old.

I would love for him to come here and force a move, but I just don't see it likely.

If we really were selling Raheem for 50m it could be a Torres/Caroll situation.

Yes we agree to pay 60m but we get 50m for Sterling making the net spend something like 20m (after QPR's cut)?

It would be absolutely f**king stupid if we did that. Personally I do no believe thats how the Carroll/Torres situation went like. Would be dumb for any club to do it like that.

Wouldn't go near Higuain for 60M. Personally I think he is worth around 40M.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #63: Jun 29, 2015 10:44:02 pm

Your right he is very underrated on here mate. I like him, he can do a bit of everything. I think that because he isn't all pace and tricks he doesn't get the press he should. He reminds me of a cross between David Villa and Robbie Fowler. Very clever movement, superb finisher who can always find a yard for himself and scores all types of goals. And he is a work horse. With Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana playing behind him he would instantly turn us into a contender.

I can't imagine he would cost his release clause BUT didn't Napoli pay 40 million a couple of seasons ago? I dare say he would cost circa 30 and at 27-28 I can't see FSG parting with that sort of money.crazily they will be happy enough to spend 20 something on the waste of money that will be Christian Benteke though.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #64: Jun 29, 2015 10:59:37 pm
      I rate Higuain, but at £60m, that's just ridiculous. Good striker, but nowhere near that fee. That's outlandish.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #65: Jun 29, 2015 11:03:51 pm
      Can't see it happening. Would be unsure whether he'd settle for us to be honest. I think if he was to settle then he could be a massive player to have in the team but if he doesn't adapt then I can see him being like Balotelli and becoming more of a hindrance.

But those who don't gamble and he is a proven player at the highest level so the odds are in his favour.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #66: Jun 29, 2015 11:11:30 pm
      He wants to leave because of Napoli's failure to make it into the CL but wants to come here and play in Europa.

Goes to show the journos have not a clue of what they speak.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #67: Jun 30, 2015 12:26:04 am
      I'll eat my and everyone else's hat on here if we pay £67.7 million (which I read was his buyout clause fee) for a player. Just think about it, that would be more than twice the amount we'd paid for our currently most expensive purchase ever. Then wages a player of his stature would command on top of that? Under FSG? Never going to happen.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #68: Jun 30, 2015 12:27:42 am
      I'll eat my and everyone else's hat on here if we pay £67.7 million (which I read was his buyout clause fee) for a player. Just think about it, that would be more than twice the amount we'd paid for our currently most expensive purchase ever. Then wages a player of his stature would command on top of that? Under FSG? Never going to happen.

Everyone's hats are safe then.

Quick Reply