Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli)

Read 41470 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli)
      Reply #184: Jun 07, 2016 07:39:20 pm
      I agree, not a chance we'll sign this lad. 

But it's laughable to me that the idea of signing a player like Higuain is somehow considered by us all to be somehow ludicrous. Too old, no resale value, doesn't fit the FSG model etc. This lad is a frickin goal machine. He scored em in South America, he scored a bucket full at Madrid, he's still banging them in at Napoli and his record for Argentina isn't too shabby either. Id be doing cartwheels if we could sign a player like this. He's no Morientes who was simply too lightweight for the EPL.

He's hardworking
      He's strong as an Ox
      His link up play is superb
      He is surprisingly quick in the final third
      And he is bloody prolific

Ridiculous, isn't it? Imagine if we got him and Masch, what a huge difference a couple of "old" players with no resale value would be. Title contenders and a huge improvement to the first eleven? I think so.

Like I said before, both Higuain and Masch could play at the top level for another 2-4 seasons (especially Masch).
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #185: Jun 07, 2016 07:51:07 pm
      Wouldn't be too surprised if we actually sign him.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #186: Jun 07, 2016 07:55:21 pm
      Did he equal or break the most goals in a Serie A season record last season? Didn't he score nearly double the second highest scorer last season too?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #187: Jun 07, 2016 08:01:11 pm
      Did he equal or break the most goals in a Serie A season record last season? Didn't he score nearly double the second highest scorer last season too?

I believe he equalled a long-standing record of 80 odd years for most Serie A goals scored. His record is pretty amazing and I really like him as a player. But we've got a few strikers on the books and with no Europe next season I don't believe we will be in the market for a genuine number 9.

Still, imagine a situation where Studge gets injured (not hard I know) and you're relying on Origi and Danny Ings to get all your goals for you. I suspect that's where we will find ourselves.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #188: Jun 07, 2016 08:01:11 pm

Yes and Yes.

Higuain is a goal machine he could be our Aguero if we were to sign him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #189: Jun 07, 2016 08:18:18 pm
      So Higuain then?  I've read lots about him being this amazingly good striker that scores more goals than everyone else but nobody's really said what type of striker he is.  I've no idea as I've never taken any notice of him.

Is he a play off the shoulder type?  A goal line poacher type?  Does he never stop pressing?  Run the channels?  Drop deep?  Does he lead the line or need a partner?

Will he suit us or will we have to change how we play to accommodate him?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #190: Jun 07, 2016 08:48:27 pm
      So Higuain then?  I've read lots about him being this amazingly good striker that scores more goals than everyone else but nobody's really said what type of striker he is.  I've no idea as I've never taken any notice of him.

Is he a play off the shoulder type?  A goal line poacher type?  Does he never stop pressing?  Run the channels?  Drop deep?  Does he lead the line or need a partner?

I haven't watched much of him this season, very little in fact, but what I do know and can tell you is that he's the complete striker. Can drop deep, hold the ball up, play off the shoulder, work the channels etc.

What I like about him is how quick in the mind he is when he's in and around the box, such an intelligent player and the reason why he gets so many goals. I think he has very good acceleration, but his top speed is not the greatest. As for pressing, well, he works harder than Sturridge and Origi imo.

Would be interesting to hear other views on him.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #191: Jun 07, 2016 08:52:23 pm
      I haven't watched much of him this season, very little in fact, but what I do know and can tell you is that he's the complete striker. Can drop deep, hold the ball up, play off the shoulder, work the channels etc.

What I like about him is how quick in the mind he is when he's in and around the box, such an intelligent player and the reason why he gets so many goals. I think he has very good acceleration, but his top speed is not the greatest. As for pressing, well, he works harder than Sturridge and Origi imo.

Watched him last night for the first time vs Chile...have to say he worked damn hard and never stopped, took his goal well.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #192: Jun 07, 2016 08:52:41 pm

Spot on, his lack of pace is probably his main weakness. But he makes up for that somewhat by being, as you say, quick in the mind and an intelligent striker. I'd say his best assest is his finishing, he's an out and out goalscorer.

Can't say I've watched enough full games of his to comment on his general pressing play or work rate when not in posssession.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #193: Jun 07, 2016 08:52:45 pm

He is a classic lead the line type of striker Debs, likes to drop off and link play but he tends to do it very quickly and then gets himself into the box once he has laid it wide or off to a middie. He's strong and can play with his back to goal. He is deceptively quick in and around the final third and his movement is VERY clever. He is more likely to be in and around the box than running the channels. He is a hard-working player who will do his fair share of pressing (he's not a Suarez in that respect but works a lot harder than Studge without the ball). Like most Argies (albeit of French decent) he has an edge to him and unlike Morientes (who he has been compared to) he puts himself around enough to suggest he would not shirk the challenge of your typical EPL defender. Oh and he scores goals, bloody loads of em! More than a 100 for Madrid and if he plays another season at Napoli he'll probably have bagged a century there an all.

I'd love to see him at the club.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #194: Jun 07, 2016 09:03:30 pm
      He is a classic lead the line type of striker Debs, likes to drop off and link play but he tends to do it very quickly and then gets himself into the box once he has laid it wide or off to a middie. He's strong and can play with his back to goal. He is deceptively quick in and around the final third and his movement is VERY clever. He is more likely to be in and around the box than running the channels. He is a hard-working player who will do his fair share of pressing (he's not a Suarez in that respect but works a lot harder than Studge without the ball). Like most Argies (albeit of French decent) he has an edge to him and unlike Morientes (who he has been compared to) he puts himself around enough to suggest he would not shirk the challenge of your typical EPL defender. Oh and he scores goals, bloody loads of em! More than a 100 for Madrid and if he plays another season at Napoli he'll probably have bagged a century there an all.

I'd love to see him at the club.

Totally 100% agree.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #195: Jun 07, 2016 09:15:08 pm
      He has a £72M buyout clause so we can leave this one on the shelf.

Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #196: Jun 07, 2016 09:16:44 pm
      I watched him only couple of times, he work hard enough to be better than Stuge in that department but I'm not sure is he cover more distance than Origi in matches. This in an impression, not sure that he constantly keeps pressure to opponents back line. But he is very intelligent striker indeed. And he score from everywhere. Just looked his 36 goals in Calcio this year - the guy is the machine:

https://youtu.be/OdlKk24AlEo
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016 09:34:44 pm by Red John »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #197: Jun 07, 2016 09:18:51 pm
      Cheers for the replies guys.

Quick question, if he's so good how come Napoli haven't been challenging or won anything?

Also how come nobody else has tried buying him?  Is it cos he's so expensive for his age? 

It seems strange that city or the chavs haven't gone for him seeing as they have money to burn.  Is it possible that PSG would want him now they've lost Ibra?
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #198: Jun 07, 2016 09:19:35 pm
      He has a £72M buyout clause so we can leave this one on the shelf.

He's staying on the shelf regardless of that mate. I believe his contract is running fairly low now so I wouldn't imagine the asking price is anywhere near the buyout clause in his contract.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #199: Jun 07, 2016 09:22:49 pm
      He's staying on the shelf regardless of that mate. I believe his contract is running fairly low now so I wouldn't imagine the asking price is anywhere near the buyout clause in his contract.

Yeah I imagine he would go for less than that but I doubt he would still come to LFC when he would have the option of CL and probably higher wages else where.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #200: Jun 07, 2016 09:31:42 pm
      Also how come nobody else has tried buying him?  Is it cos he's so expensive for his age?

It seems strange that city or the chavs haven't gone for him seeing as they have money to burn.  Is it possible that PSG would want him now they've lost Ibra?

You know, it got me thinking, I know this is not directly answering your question, but  I have to question why a big club wasn't in for him during the summer he left Real. I thought he was great for them and a proven goal scorer, even when he played as a wide forward for Real.

We had Sturridge and Suarez back then I think? So I wasn't too bothered where he ended up tbh, but always thought he had the quality to play for the likes of, Juventus, City, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern etc.

Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #201: Jun 07, 2016 09:34:17 pm

His contract ends 30.06.2018. so Napoli could cash in this summer or let him go next summer for far less money.
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016 09:46:27 pm by Red John »
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #202: Jun 07, 2016 09:34:54 pm
      Cheers for the replies guys.

Quick question, if he's so good how come Napoli haven't been challenging or won anything?

They finished 2nd in Serie A last year Debs and 5th, 3rd and 2nd in the season's previous to that so they have been there or thereabouts.

As for other clubs and why they haven't come in for him I don't know, maybe there will be some movement for him over the summer. If Napoli are wanting to sell him on while they can still get a decent fee (as they did with Cavani) it may well happen this summer.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #203: Jun 07, 2016 09:36:30 pm
      You know, it got me thinking, I know this is not directly answering your question, but  I have to question why a big club wasn't in for him during the summer he left Real. I thought he was great for them and a proven goal scorer, even when he played as a wide forward for Real.

We had Sturridge and Suarez back then I think? So I wasn't too bothered where he ended up tbh, but always thought he had the quality to play for the likes of, Juventus, City, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern etc.

IMO he definitely does have the quality. You can never have enough match winners in a team. If our defence is going to continue to leak goals (time will tell) then we have to replace them at the other end.

There are always situations that come up where a player is only targeted by one club or at the most a couple, it doesn't mean they're not that good. IIRC Higuain had a better scoring rate at Madrid than Benzema did in the same time period (I'll look into it to see if I'm making that up :D). Sometimes teams may be told the player is not for sale and they then go on to other targets before the price tag gets lowered or the player asks to leave, the player might not match a team's style, some teams may be overloaded in that position etc.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #204: Jun 07, 2016 09:36:50 pm
      Watched him last night for the first time vs Chile...have to say he worked damn hard and never stopped, took his goal well.

Hmmm... were you watching the right player AZ? Di Maria and Banega were the goalscorers for Argentina on the night

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #205: Jun 07, 2016 09:37:47 pm
      City look likely to get Auba, we could do with Higuain but are FSG likely to change their strategy.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #206: Jun 07, 2016 09:39:04 pm

I've no idea when he moved mate, I didn't even know he played at Madrid.  There was me thinking he'd never played at a big club, just shows what I know  :D

Quick Reply