Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid)

Read 6270 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Re: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid)
      Reply #23: Jan 14, 2015 05:23:53 pm
      He would be first choice for me. Ahead of Skrtel, Toure, Sahko, Lovren etc etc. I would love us to buy him and play him in central defense for the next 2-3 years. He really is an exceptional player.

Easy tiger if half what you say is true he would be a regular at Madrid. Mind you even I could probably get in ahead of Lovren!

He's 31 so not one for the future, not great going forward but definitely experienced enough to take Can's place assuming we stick with the 3 at the back, letting him play in his preferred position.
      Only downside would be him hindering the progression of Manquillo.

Not sure he will be offered the wages he will want.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,532 posts | 721 
      Reply #24: Jan 15, 2015 09:58:15 pm
      WELCOME HOME  ;D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #25: Jan 16, 2015 12:59:10 am
      We desperately need the experience at the back. The current defensive coaches don't seem to have a clue. Perhaps he could improve the back line just doing what comes naturally to him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Jan 16, 2015 11:02:05 am
      Only down fall to this deal is that he will be 32 by the time he does sign - if he does sign. Always rated him and was confused when he left, especially for peanuts.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Jan 16, 2015 11:16:31 am
      Memories play tricks, don't they? Arbeloa is a solid player but he was never as good as some seem to make him out to be.

As a central defender, when we tried him there - and we did try him there - he wasn't very successful at all, so I fail to see how anyone might want this.

As a fullback, he was never that great either; indeed, in that fateful 2008-09 season, I remember quite a few games (such as our 4-4 against Arsenal) in which Arbeloa was heavily criticized, many seeing him as a weak spot in a back four that consisted of superior players such as Carragher, Agger and Fabio Aurelio.

Few tears were shed when he left. But maybe this is the difference between a player coming from small Deportivo and the same guy coming from Real Madrid. All of a sudden we change our memories to suit the tale we want to be told.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #28: Jan 16, 2015 11:26:30 am
      This won't happen nor should it.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #29: Jan 16, 2015 11:59:25 am
      Is he free? We definitely love a steal.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #30: Jan 16, 2015 12:13:47 pm
      Memories play tricks, don't they? Arbeloa is a solid player but he was never as good as some seem to make him out to be.

As a central defender, when we tried him there - and we did try him there - he wasn't very successful at all, so I fail to see how anyone might want this.

As a fullback, he was never that great either; indeed, in that fateful 2008-09 season, I remember quite a few games (such as our 4-4 against Arsenal) in which Arbeloa was heavily criticized, many seeing him as a weak spot in a back four that consisted of superior players such as Carragher, Agger and Fabio Aurelio.

Few tears were shed when he left. But maybe this is the difference between a player coming from small Deportivo and the same guy coming from Real Madrid. All of a sudden we change our memories to suit the tale we want to be told.

Disagree completely mate.

Nothing to do with him being at Real for me.

Thought he was great here and didn't want him to leave.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #31: Jan 16, 2015 12:28:54 pm
      Rafa made Arbeloa what he is today, Rafa organised our defence in such a way that it suited mediocre players. Arbeloa is above average, but BR in charge of defensive tactics he would probably look sh*te.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #32: Jan 16, 2015 12:29:25 pm

Absolutely true and we do seem to be getting carried away.

However, I watched him at Real a few times last year and he still looked solid, organised and dependable. He is by no means the answer to our prayers, but his experience could be a huge asset.

If we played him as part of 3 man defence, it may work. I would happily get him back because our defence looks shambles at the moment.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #33: Jan 16, 2015 12:39:29 pm
      Absolutely true and we do seem to be getting carried away.

However, I watched him at Real a few times last year and he still looked solid, organised and dependable. He is by no means the answer to our prayers, but his experience could be a huge asset.

If we played him as part of 3 man defence, it may work. I would happily get him back because our defence looks shambles at the moment.

Out defence looks a lot better since adopting the 3 man defence and it allows us to utilise Can in the team who I believe offers more than Arbeloa would in that position. We also have Manquillo available plus Flanagan, Johnson and Toure to return. So I think we have enough cover in this area until the Summer.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #34: Jan 16, 2015 12:48:10 pm
      Out defence looks a lot better since adopting the 3 man defence and it allows us to utilise Can in the team who I believe offers more than Arbeloa would in that position. We also have Manquillo available plus Flanagan, Johnson and Toure to return. So I think we have enough cover in this area until the Summer.

I completely agree about the 3 man defence comment, and that Can has made a huge difference. I'd add though that Can is a bit wasted at the back. He offers far more as a DM. The only reason why he's starting there is because of lack of options and a sign of how sh1t everyone else has been.

GJ is sh1te and Toure is inconsistent. Don't think Flanno will really get into the swing of things this season after so long out and Manquillo still developing, though I quite like the lad. I just think Arbeloa's discipline and consistency is something that would help right now.

Having said that, I wouldn't exactly throw my toys out of the pram if he didn't arrive. A GK and a striker are of far more pressing urgency.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #35: Jan 16, 2015 12:52:09 pm
      I look at Can playing and it feels like he could be doing something like Xabi Alonso is doing at Bayern.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #36: Jan 16, 2015 04:15:41 pm
      All the pros and cons on how good a player, Arbeloa really is, he surely would be a big plus the way the defence is playing at present.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #37: Jan 16, 2015 04:37:33 pm
      Arby was absolute class for us, was gutted when he left personally.

Not sure why people want us to sign him to play centre half though.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #38: Jan 16, 2015 08:59:37 pm
      Arby in a back four as a right back, no problem. Arby in a back three as a right sided centre back, not so sure on this one?

Loved Arby and we should never have let him go. The most important thing is that Arbeloa can actually defend, Johnson cannot.

To all those dissing Arby? This is the Arby that has averaged 25 games a Season for the last 5 Seasons at one of the biggest and most most demanding Clubs in the world.

He can't be that bad?

I'd have him back in a heartbeat but we are stacked with good defenders that just aren't being drilled properly. Our poor defending this Season has been down to organisation, not bad defenders.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #39: Jan 17, 2015 12:28:24 am

Don't take away people's reasons to complain :D

I agree. Arby would not be high on my list right now.

Quick Reply