Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.

Read 19778 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #161: Jan 16, 2015 11:59:55 am
      Before Christmas Bony had only scored 3 or 4 goals. If memory serves I believe two of which were penalties. After Christmas he started knocking them in for fun and now he's gone to City for nearly 30mil. I'm not saying it will happen with Mario, but these things do happen.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #162: Jan 16, 2015 01:44:47 pm
      Before Christmas Bony had only scored 3 or 4 goals. If memory serves I believe two of which were penalties. After Christmas he started knocking them in for fun and now he's gone to City for nearly 30mil. I'm not saying it will happen with Mario, but these things do happen.

Fair point but he was out for a few games injured before Christmas and when fit he was playing behind Michu which didn't work. Once Michu was dropped and Bony moved up as striker he started banging in the goals immediately.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #163: Jan 16, 2015 07:04:27 pm

Swansea, with or without Bony up front that season, were never going to compete...  for either the league title or for ('the accountants favourite') a top four finish.

Michu... Bony... It doesn't matter who "comes very good" or even how long it takes. When your ambition is set low... you can wait.

Swansea could certainly wait for Mario to come good without much of an effect on their ambition.  >:D
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2015 07:16:48 pm by bad boy bubby »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #164: Jan 16, 2015 07:39:59 pm
      Swansea, with or without Bony up front that season, were never going to compete...  for either the league title or for ('the accountants favourite') a top four finish.

Michu... Bony... It doesn't matter who "comes very good" or even how long it takes. When your ambition is set low... you can wait.

Swansea could certainly wait for Mario to come good without much of an effect on their ambition.  >:D

I think there is a lot of truth in this.

Every year:

Man City, United & Chelsea look to win it all
      Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs loot to top 4
      The likes of Everton, Villa, Swansea look to finish mid-table
      Everyone else is happy just to not get relegated.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #165: Jan 17, 2015 02:46:26 pm
      Thats bob on AZ. But I think Brendan has the ambition to win.  You could see the excitement in him last season.  I know if I had a taste of that i'd want it again and i'd fight for it.  He knows we were close and we can be again.  The buzz around the club last season was incredible - thats the way it always used to be.  We can eclipse Man Utd and Arsenal.  Chelsea and City are another proposition entirely, and what we do off the field will in the short term be as important as what we do on it in get ahead of those two. We can but try.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #166: Jan 17, 2015 02:53:16 pm

Totally agree with your points - though I think you may have misunderstood my point. It is more a comment to say that a players first six months does always indicate what the rest of their career at club will be like
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #167: Jan 17, 2015 05:05:46 pm
      Totally agree with your points - though I think you may have misunderstood my point. It is more a comment to say that a players first six months does always indicate what the rest of their career at club will be like
      I know exactly what you were saying mate and you're right.

Sadly however - teams who want to win titles don't have the luxury of time. Fact is: if you're going to wait half a season [every season  ;)] for players to "gel"/"settle in" then... the chances are high you can wave bye bye to the title.

"There's always next year" tho'; eh?   :gt-happyup:
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #168: Jan 18, 2015 09:26:42 am
      I know exactly what you were saying mate and you're right.

Sadly however - teams who want to win titles don't have the luxury of time. Fact is: if you're going to wait half a season [every season  ;)] for players to "gel"/"settle in" then... the chances are high you can wave bye bye to the title.

"There's always next year" tho'; eh?   :gt-happyup:

Absolutely BBB, next season, the players we bought this season will have bedded in we'll, then it will only be a matter of waiting for the following season for next seasons New recruits to bed in, and so on............. :depressed:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #169: Jan 18, 2015 02:03:31 pm
      Balotelli is a very gifted player, quite capable of setting the world alight in a team set up to get the best out of him.

We are not set up that way, and unless he can modify his game, we'll never see the best of him.

The sad thing is that he'll go to another club, start banging in the goals and ignorant people will say "why couldn't he do that for us".

Nah he isn't mate, he's one lazy F***ing tw*t - and I've said that since I saw his first appearance at Anfield for City.

He isn't gifted and he isn't that special - he really is just an overrated and hyped-up Emile Heskey with a bigger profile!

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #170: Jan 18, 2015 02:49:27 pm
      He isn't gifted and he isn't that special - he really is just an overrated and hyped-up Emile Heskey with a bigger profile!

Bit harsh on big Emile that mate.

Heskey would, at the very least, work for the team. Very unselfish was Emile, maybe too unselfish even.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #171: Jan 18, 2015 02:51:56 pm
      Bit harsh on big Emile that mate.

Heskey would, at the very least, work for the team. Very unselfish was Emile, maybe too unselfish even.

And that was his problem.

Just think back to Cup game against Palace circa 2003 he ran from virtually the half-way line, bearing down on goal, can smash it, place it whatever, all he had to do was score, his shot was like a F***ing pearoller back to the keeper.

He was unselfish, he could also be a big shithouse!

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #172: Jan 18, 2015 02:58:39 pm
      And that was his problem.

Just think back to Cup game against Palace circa 2003 he ran from virtually the half-way line, bearing down on goal, can smash it, place it whatever, all he had to do was score, his shot was like a F***ing pearoller back to the keeper.

He was unselfish, he could also be a big shithouse!

Agree with that.

Mad the way it worked out for him after his first full year with us where he was boss. It was almost who played up top with Emile during that treble winning year.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #173: Jan 19, 2015 01:53:26 pm
      Well no it's not fact as it's still simply your opinion mate, until things have happened they are opinion and views not facts

The facts are, he has done NOTHING in a liverpool shirt; therefore my opinion of him of being a overated myth of a player IS correct!.... he has done f**k all!!!

Moving forward to what he might do is, I admit, my opinion, but to date he is shocking!!

so until Marios form changes or Satan ice-skates to work ... my "opinion" seems bang on!

Quick Reply