Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (7.9%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      11 (9.6%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      28 (24.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      11 (9.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      35 (30.7%)
      Lazar Markovic
      5 (4.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Phillip Coutinho
      2 (1.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      1 (0.9%)
      Fabio Borini
      6 (5.3%)
      Jose Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      3 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2015 04:54:24 pm

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates

Read 36669 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates
      Reply #483: Jan 17, 2015 05:12:05 pm
      Sturridge is back for the next league game right?

Should be.

If I'm not mistaken it will be Carroll's first game back at Anfield since he left, right?

Think he's been injured for their other trips.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #484: Jan 17, 2015 05:13:33 pm
      We have a quality forward line, we just need some top class coach to tell the lads what to do and how to do it properly inside the opposition box. Glad that we won today. Impressed with Ibe and Skrtel. Voted Skrtel as motm.

We are most probably looking at a post Gerrard team here. BR needs to quickly work on counter attacks. It was something like 7 or more games that I saw teams parked their defence line at the centre circle and we did not capitalise on that.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #485: Jan 17, 2015 05:14:36 pm
      They had more shots on goal than us. But they couldn't score.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #486: Jan 17, 2015 05:15:07 pm
      Nice work today.

Have to say that I think one of the underrated players in our current run of form is Lucas. Doing a lot of the often unnoticed things that keep the team humming.

Hendo definitely more suited to his role today as well.

3 points in the bag, rinse and repeat, just keep it up.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #487: Jan 17, 2015 05:15:07 pm
      Sakho was my MOM, not a mistake made and some great interceptions,  but I am becoming more and more impressed with Marko. He seems to bring excitement whenever he gets the ball. Lucas (not always my favourite player) was faultless, and Henderson played a great game.

Well done to Mignolet seems his confidence is coming back. Let's hope he continues to live up to his name "Mig no let" goals in.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Live: Aston Villa V Liverpool
      Reply #488: Jan 17, 2015 05:15:43 pm

I seriously hope our back room staff don't take the approach you would seem to embrace:

"Well, we won, no need to analyze the game and see if we can do anything better......"
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #489: Jan 17, 2015 05:19:17 pm
      I seriously hope our back room staff don't take the approach you would seem to embrace:

"Well, we won, no need to analyze the game and see if we can do anything better......"
      Melwood will be a holiday resort then. What are they doing at Melwood?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #490: Jan 17, 2015 05:20:54 pm
      Hendo, Lucas, Can, Sakho and Markovic all excellent today. Sterling, Cou and Borini were pretty poor. Thought the three subs did very well when they came on which was a pleasant surprise.

Onwards and upwards.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #491: Jan 17, 2015 05:26:28 pm
      Melwood will be a holiday resort then. What are they doing at Melwood?

Why do you keep asking that? Its pretty F***ing obvious what goes on at Melwood. sh*t loads of hard work
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #492: Jan 17, 2015 05:32:22 pm
      Its pretty f**king obvious what goes on at Melwood. Sh*t loads of hard work

And head tennis!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #493: Jan 17, 2015 05:37:14 pm
      F***ing made up with that, third win on the bounce (all away from home as well). Unbeaten in 2015. Consecutive clean sheets. Starting to look like we're finding our form. Goals from actual forwards. Winning without Gerrard. Defenders defending first, attacking second. Keeper commanding. All in all it's starting to come good for Liverpool.

Mignolet for me had his best game in a Liverpool shirt against Sunderland last week. Today he bettered that. He owned that area today. He caught the ball well when he needed to, he punched it with distance when he needed to. His kicking was varied rather than constantly out to our right wing back. From the stick he's had to what he's done in the last couple of weeks is remarkable. Needs to keep it up now.

Can I'm still not convinced he's a centre half but because we're winning, and keeping clean sheets, it's hard to say otherwise. Couple of times though his mind tends to wander and he loses the player he's marking. He's got a boss engine on him and he's a big f**ker, built like a tank, so will usually get back. Probably the worst of the back three today but was still solid.

Skrtel has had a resurgence in 2015. Has been almost faultless and was again today. Took control of situations, got his head on the ball and up against a tricky pair in Agbonlahor and Benteke, dealt with the pair very well. Fantastic.

Sakho had his best performance in a Liverpool shirt by a country mile today. For the first time in his Liverpool career he showed me that he can actually defend. He didn't throw himself to ground constantly and when he did today, he actually got the ball. His passing is still suspect but today it weren't anywhere near as nerve wrecking as it has been. Because I don't expect from our Mammy Do, I'd say he was man of the match.

Markovic after his best performance against Sunderland, I had high hopes we'd see Lazzy prove his worth now. It didn't quite materialise today, in fact he was quite quiet. Sound enough defensively which is a massive compliment for a winger but lacked any sort of spark going forward.

Henderson was outstanding. He's starting to grow as a player and captain. Nice to see him with his arm round Sterling after Raheem took a boot to the mush. Another assist. Covered every blade of grass. Was great to see him perform to a similar level that we've become accustomed to.

Lucas who I have never been the biggest fan of today was fantastic today. He broke up everything. Villa were forced to go long to Benteke because of how swamped their midfield was by Jordy and Lucas. A very good pairing there. Lucas, like Gerrard, is helped by the energy Henderson brings to the side.

Moreno netted himself a very good goal only for it to be disallowed. Struggled a little defensively, when their right back is the biggest threat it's not a good indication for our left wing back. I didn't think he was poor so to say, just not quite on the level as the rest.

Sterling should of buried that chance, it weren't difficult and he tried to be too clever. Something we've been guilty of a fair bit this year. Was great to see him back but nowhere near his best. Still though, looked dangerous and offered us the pace we've otherwise lacked.

Coutinho was struck once again by the forth-five minute Phil disease. Excellent first half, everything was going through him as it should. Second half he was largely invisible. Maybe because we were defending more than attacking for most of the second, but Phil has to start performing for a whole match.

Borini scored. And forwards are judged on goals. If they were judged by their all round performance then Fabio Borini would be getting yet another slagging off from me because the fella is F***ing sh*t. And how he continues to wear a Liverpool shirt is beyond me.

Lambert scored. And forwards are judged on goals. His performance weren't great either. An improvement on Borini at least.

Enrique was a joke when he came on. Downgrade on Albert in my opinion and took a F***ing age to get on the pitch all because of a pair of F***ing gloves. Run round the pitch soft lad and you'll warm up in no time. I have no idea why he's still at the club.

Ibe is a lad I've rated highly and often said give him a go in the team. Now he's been recalled he has to play because otherwise why bring him back? He was quality when he came on. Looked hungry and wanted to impress. Is he cup tied for the Chelsea and Bolton games coming up?

All in all a solid performance. Few shaky moments but you expect that with our defence. Now keep it up for the cup competitions.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #494: Jan 17, 2015 05:38:37 pm
      Excellent stuff 3points clean sheet away win.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #495: Jan 17, 2015 05:39:37 pm
      1st game I missed in a long time. How did we play? Deserve it,? Great 3 points anyways
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #496: Jan 17, 2015 05:59:59 pm
      1st game I missed in a long time. How did we play? Deserve it,? Great 3 points anyways

Well and yes. No real weaknesses other than a few wasted opportunities by Borini. Coutinho was mixed.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #497: Jan 17, 2015 06:06:46 pm
      Coutinho gets a lot of sticks today but frankly if Sturridge was playing he could have had a couple of assists. Bet he can't wait to see Sturridge back in the side!
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #498: Jan 17, 2015 06:10:22 pm
      Some really good performances  today ,yet they were still in it till Ricky done us proud we gotta finish teams of with the chances we are making picking the wrong option or not looking are making these games closer than they should be , gave Henderson MOTM  ,mention for  Ming done it when it mattered so good for him
      Hate to think where we would be in the league if our chances were turned into goals the Mancs are 5 goals  and 5 points in front of us I'm sure Studge back can make that up no probs  4th is well within our capabilities ,sooner or later we are going to click with our chances and someone is going to get a severe ramming on the goal front West Ham maybe against  the blue sh*te even better ,
      well done to Brendan and the boys keep it going .

YNWA
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #499: Jan 17, 2015 06:16:40 pm
      Well and yes. No real weaknesses other than a few wasted opportunities by Borini. Coutinho was mixed.

Cheers. That's good. Suppose it's ok for couts to have an off day when we win.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #500: Jan 17, 2015 06:24:10 pm
      Anyone notice that when Jordan put in that delicious cross to Borini for the goal the words "F**k off fed" were on his lips?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #501: Jan 17, 2015 06:29:43 pm
      Coutinho gets a lot of sticks today but frankly if Sturridge was playing he could have had a couple of assists. Bet he can't wait to see Sturridge back in the side!

Is right, the lad's intelligence and movement is a step ahead of most of our team bar Sterling. Having Studge ahead of him will seehim assisting a lot more then he deserves. Love Couts, classy player.

Absolutely made up today, striker's scored, clean sheet and I don't even think we played that well.It's a positive comment because we're nowhere near our best. Credit to all the lads and the gaffer for getting on with it and just F***ing working hard on the training ground to get their confidence back. Really proud of them. Fantastic effort lads, bring on the second half of the season. Scum, the big pretenders of the top 4, we're coming for ya...

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #502: Jan 17, 2015 06:51:38 pm
      My ratings:

Mignolet: just quietly the big Belgian is coming back into form. He was much keener to come for crosses here than I've seen him in a long time, and he obviously hasn't lost the ability to save stuff. We definately need a new keeper, but for me it's one that's significantly better than Brad Jones is what we should be looking for. If he's a lot better than Migs too then fair enough, but on this form that ain't as easy as it seemed a month ago. 8/10.

Sakho: this lad is beginning to really blossom. How much would Arsenal/Man Utd love this fella in their team, a proper old school defender. My MOM today, thought he was faultless. 9/10.

Skrtel: like his partner Sakho put in a fine performance. Apparently we're in contract negotiations with Martin, we should get it done. He was excellent today. 8/10.

Can: another promising performance from the big man. Despite almost certainly playing out of position, he is doing himself no harm at all. A really fine buy at the price we paid. 7/10.

Markovic: another who is playing out of position but doing a decent job of it. Didn't contribute too much going forward, but there were the now trademark little flashes of quality. Defensively he weren't too Shabby Alonso either. 7/10

Henderson: his best performance this season in my view, and back to his very best. There's no question in my mind that he steps up more when Gerrard doesn't play. The answer though isn't to therefore not play Stevie, it's for Jordan to start believing in himself more. Today he looked like a quality central midfielder. 8/10.

Lucas: could quite easily have given him mom, but I did in the last game so I gave it to Sakho. A really fine performance (again) from the Brazillian. 8/10.

Sterling: a bit in and out really, never seemed to get to grips with his position. One really poor finish when one on one, and looked there as if he were believing his own publicity a bit. 6/10.

Coutinho: my favourite player to watch in the Premiership, and despite physically being completely unsuited to English football still manages to shine. Not his best game today, but not easy without a proper striker to put in on goal with his incisive through nudges. 7/10.

Borini: very very poor, with Sturridge in the team we would have embarrassed these today. Gus Poyet must be thanking his lucky stars he didn't pay 14 mill for him, just the same as we're all gutted it fell through. I think he's actually got worse as a footballer, and I say that despite his good goal. 4/10

Lambert: came on when we were rocking a bit and put the game to bed with a good goal. Can't ask anymore than that. 7/10.

Enrique: looks increasingly like he's in his last days as a Liverpool player. Offered little but a touch of comedy with his gloves 5/10.

Ibe: did well when he came on. He doesn't "need to start" as some are claiming, but it's good to have him back.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2015 07:02:36 pm by bigmick »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #503: Jan 17, 2015 06:51:43 pm
      I really don't understand this thing about Sakho's supposedly bad passing.

He rarely drops below a 90% completion rate, his passes have good pace on them, and are very accurate.
      I think people may be fooled because he looks awkward.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #504: Jan 17, 2015 06:58:14 pm
      I really don't understand this thing about Sakho's supposedly bad passing.

He rarely drops below a 90% completion rate, his passes have good pace on them, and are very accurate.
      I think people may be fooled because he looks awkward.

Totally agree. I actually like the way he'll often delay the pass to the last second in order to wait for the opportunity to play an incisive one. He could just take the easy option and roll it sideways, but his passing out from the back is actually very perceptive and can open teams up.

If his stats really are in the 90's every game (and I'm sure it is, people don't just make this sh!t up) it's even more impressive than it first looks. That's because once or twice a game he invariably tries a Zidane flick or to give someone the eyes. They usually don't come off and no doubt damage his percentages. Fortunately for him and us that's all they've damaged so far, but he should cut it out anyway it's bloody daft.

I really like him as player though, have since day one.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #505: Jan 17, 2015 07:00:17 pm

Ibe. Is he cup tied for the Chelsea and Bolton games coming up?

He's cup tied in both domestic cups unfortunately.

Quick Reply