Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (7.9%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      11 (9.6%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      28 (24.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      11 (9.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      35 (30.7%)
      Lazar Markovic
      5 (4.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Phillip Coutinho
      2 (1.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      1 (0.9%)
      Fabio Borini
      6 (5.3%)
      Jose Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      3 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2015 04:54:24 pm

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates

Read 36666 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates
      Reply #506: Jan 17, 2015 07:01:51 pm
      Totally agree. I actually like the way he'll often delay the pass to the last second in order to wait for the opportunity to play an incisive one. He could just take the easy option and roll it sideways, but his passing out from the back is actually very perceptive and can open teams up.

If his stats really are in the 90's every game (and I'm sure people don't just make this sh!t up) it's even more impressive than it first looks. That's because once or twice a game he invariably tries a Zidane flick or to give someone the eyes. They usually don't come off and no doubt damage his percentages. Fortunately for him and us that's all they've damaged so far, but he should cut it out anyway it's bloody daft.

I think that's down to BR.
      Can and Sakho are the defenders who bring it out, and it looks to me like Sakho has been trained to wait before passing to create a bit more space for the players in front of him, whereas Can is more of a runner bringing it out.
      It's not second nature to Sakho yet, and you can see him change his mind at times when his first instinct is to belt it upfield.

Our best CB at the moment, and potentially world class when he gets to his peak.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #507: Jan 17, 2015 07:04:24 pm
      3 pts and a good performance from majority of the team. It was encouraging to see our defence being put under a lot of pressure but still didn't concede. Should give them some confidence and Migs was a much much improved performance. Time to go on a last season's like unbeaten run now.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #508: Jan 17, 2015 07:07:21 pm
      3 pts and a good performance from majority of the team. It was encouraging to see our defence being put under a lot of pressure but still didn't concede. Should give them some confidence and Migs was a much much improved performance. Time to go on a last season's like unbeaten run now.

Thinks that's one defeat in fourteen games now mate. Just quietly (and in truth without actually playing THAT great) we're on a bit of a run already.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #509: Jan 17, 2015 07:18:34 pm
      As good a defensive performance from us in a long long time. Perhaps one of, if not, the best under Rodgers. Dealt with some difficult players very well. Been a big critic of Skrtle but on the whole he handled Benteke very very well today. Sakho and Can were very perceptive and aggressive as well. Bar a 10 minute spell we controlled that match. It's never easy going to Villa Park and even though we've got a good record there I can't ever remember an easy game so I'm delighted!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #510: Jan 17, 2015 07:21:02 pm
      Something that niggles with me today - in fact, pissed me off - was Coutinho's furious reaction to Ibe's slightly off kilter cross when the youngster made it into the box late on.

Really pissed me off because:
      A - Coutinho has no right to be screaming at Ibe considering his no show in the second half contributed us to being run ragged.
      B - Ibe showed the balls to make more of an impact by running at the defenders when he came on
      C - He's a young lad who has just come back from Derby.
      D - it wasn't even a bad cross to Coutinho

Think Coutinho needs to wisen up and look at himself rather than screaming at a young team mate. Does no good for morale whatsoever.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2015 07:34:16 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #511: Jan 17, 2015 07:25:19 pm
      I actually like the way he'll often delay the pass to the last second in order to wait for the opportunity to play an incisive one. He could just take the easy option and roll it sideways, but his passing out from the back is actually very perceptive and can open teams up.

I'll be honest mate, that's what scares the F**k out of me with his passing. He takes unnecessary risks and in a position on the football field where risks should be kept to a minimum. His passing stats may be great but they don't tell a true story, his passes are often to people marked.

He played one today towards Henderson, five yards away and F***ing twatted it at him. So the stat shows a successful pass, the true story is Villa got a very easy attack from it. His back heel on the left wing isn't as big a problem because of the position of the field it took place. Back heels by our own corner flag are a F***ing joke.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #512: Jan 17, 2015 07:28:07 pm
      Something that niggles with me today - in fact, pissed me off - was Coutinho's furious reaction to Ibe's slightly off kilter cross when the youngster made it into the box late on.

Really pissed me off because:
      A - Coutinho has no right to be screaming at Ibe considering his no show in the second half contributed us to being run ragged.
      B - Ibe showed the balls to make more of an impact by running at the defenders when he came on
      C - He's a young lad who has just come back from Derby.
      D - it wasn't even a bad cross to Coutinho

Think Coutinho needs to widen up and look at himself rather than screaming at a young team mate. Does no good for morale whatsoever.

I also noticed that and what makes it even worse is that Cou himself was guilty of not passing it to him a few moments earlier.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #513: Jan 17, 2015 07:31:51 pm
      I'll be honest mate, that's what scares the f**k out of me with his passing. He takes unnecessary risks and in a position on the football field where risks should be kept to a minimum. His passing stats may be great but they don't tell a true story, his passes are often to people marked.

He played one today towards Henderson, five yards away and f**king twatted it at him. So the stat shows a successful pass, the true story is Villa got a very easy attack from it. His back heel on the left wing isn't as big a problem because of the position of the field it took place. Back heels by our own corner flag are a f**king joke.

Totally agree.

As a defender the guy is a beast and has sured up our back four, but his passing also scares the F**k out of me. He sees the pass and when other players let the pass go he seems to crouch down before passing thus increasing the pressure on him as this takes time. I would get the lad to train in a full body brace to stop this as its scary at times.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #514: Jan 17, 2015 07:37:07 pm
      Totally agree.

As a defender the guy is a beast and has sured up our back four, but his passing also scares the f**k out of me. He sees the pass and when other players let the pass go he seems to crouch down before passing thus increasing the pressure on him as this takes time. I would get the lad to train in a full body brace to stop this as its scary at times.

Yes, but Sakho has more success than failure with his passing. There were times in the first half where attacks actually originated from a forward pass into midfield. He's not just a great defender, but he will be an asset to us in beginning attacks. This is what Brendan wants from defenders, as opposed to Skrtel who constantly looks for the easy option, more often than not passing back to the keeper.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #515: Jan 17, 2015 07:38:36 pm
      Just back from the match and great to see a performance from the lads where if we had a decent striker we could have won 3 or 4 nil.

Boss reaction from the fans to Rickie scoring and getting mobbed, shame I was in the Villa end.

Apart from some lumps into our box Villanever really created much and although stats might show they had scoring attempts in fact they were just half chances.

Difficult to choose a MOM between any of the back 3 and Henderson who bossed the midfield.

Couts was disappointing in the second half.

Buzzing after that and will finish by saying if we carry on playing like this Sturridge will bag a load when he is back early February.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #516: Jan 17, 2015 07:42:03 pm
      I'll be honest mate, that's what scares the f**k out of me with his passing. He takes unnecessary risks and in a position on the football field where risks should be kept to a minimum. His passing stats may be great but they don't tell a true story, his passes are often to people marked.

He played one today towards Henderson, five yards away and f**king twatted it at him. So the stat shows a successful pass, the true story is Villa got a very easy attack from it. His back heel on the left wing isn't as big a problem because of the position of the field it took place. Back heels by our own corner flag are a f**king joke.

Not his fault players in front of him can't control a ball. This is the ideal opportunity to start a fast break bypassing the opposition midfield with our speedy forwards.

If you prefer he hoofs the ball, I don't think Brendan advocates such tactics hence why he always bangs on about players being brave.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #517: Jan 17, 2015 07:42:17 pm
      Gave MoM to Lazar - mainly because he cut out so many through balls / crosses today and launched a lot of attacks... He also did a few runs with the ball when we were under pressure and relieved the defence allowing them to regroup.

Going forward he offered less than he has, but whilst most will judge him on this his other contribution to the result was very important - and really helped us to get the result.

Chuffed today, could have hoped for a few results to go our way - but there we go...
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #518: Jan 17, 2015 07:43:50 pm
      Can't believe Sakho is getting stick for his passing to players and putting them under pressure - that is EXACTLY what all of teh players should be aiming to do.

Not only does it get us used to playing the ball under pressure but the reason our players are under the presure in the first place is because the other teamn have committed players to the press which opens up gaps further down the field.

If we just knock it around in safety we don't get any penetration.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #519: Jan 17, 2015 07:51:30 pm
      If we just knock it around in safety we don't get any penetration.

:roll:

Didn't see the game, but actually I'm quite chuffed.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #520: Jan 17, 2015 08:08:26 pm
      I'm going to agree with Holywood Balls in terms of passing to players under pressure. While I don't think we should over emphasise on this, one particular football team play this way for 90 minutes and barely see less than 70% of ball possession (Barcelona). If our players are unable to play under pressure then they are not good enough. We need that composure and arrogance on the ball - those key ingredients that we have been missing for the past two decades.

As for the performance today, I thought we were relatively good. Yes, we allowed Villa to pile pressure on us at times but the end result was different. Mignolet, as crap as he usually is, actually managed to show some decisiveness today by coming out and collecting crosses from the opposition - it's something we rarely see from him, and if he does, he flaps at it.

Defensively we were fine. We are starting to work more as a unit and thus intercept their passes before they can enter the danger areas. This is something we were incapable of only a month ago. Many Liverpool fans will not want to agree with this but dropping Steven Gerrard is the correct choice right now. He is too immobile on the field and leave gaps in the midfield for the opposition to exploit. Lucas' superior positional awareness enables him to be two/three steps ahead in terms of defending. His passing is also more intricate and therefore helps us maintain our rhythm. He is more compatible with the system Rodgers likes to use.

I thought Lazar Markovic did especially well today. The kid is on good form and is starting to prove his doubters wrong (I was one of them). He put in a tireless display today and pretty much showed young Raheem up.

As a whole, I thought today was another good performance. We have seemingly turned a corner but if I were BR, I wouldn't want to take our recent run of good results for granted. I would still be looking for a GK and a ST in the January transfer window (if the option is out there for him).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #521: Jan 17, 2015 09:31:26 pm
      Can't believe that tw*t Ref, yellow carded Rickie for his celebration. Surely he has to take into account the situation where the lad has scored his first goal in a long time and is just deliriously happy. He f**king let that Sanchez get away with 5 fouls before he carded him. What a joke.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #522: Jan 17, 2015 09:32:36 pm
      Can't believe that tw*t Ref, yellow carded Rickie for his celebration. Surely he has to take into the situation where the lad has scored his first goal in a long time and is just deliriously happy. He F***ing let that Sanchez get away with 5 fouls before he carded him. What a joke.

I don't think any player should be booked for a celebration unless it's like Adebayor for City against Arsenal when he ran the full length of the pitch.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #523: Jan 17, 2015 11:16:01 pm
      Anyone notice that when Jordan put in that delicious cross to Borini for the goal the words "f**k off fed" were on his lips?

Henderson was much better today, probably his best game of the season so far.  And not just on the goal.  He played some really delicious passes in the second half too.  Much better.  Reminded me of the win away at Spurs last season when he dominated. 

You see that is the difference between me and you; when a poor player has a good game, I am happy to say "he did well."  Whereas you, when a player has a sh*te game, you... still pretend like he wasn't sh*te. 

wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #524: Jan 17, 2015 11:29:44 pm
      Great win today.
      I thought Mamadou was imperious. Voted him MOTM.
      Good game from Hendo, Markovic, Emre.
      Today's selection from Brendan was well balanced and we showed great fluidity during large portions of the game.
      Looking forward to a strong push for the balance of the season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #525: Jan 17, 2015 11:46:28 pm
      Did I hear right when Rodgers said it was a complete performance?! If they took their chances we'd have easily lost that and we rode our luck massively I thought. IMO Skrtel had a mare, was constantly being caught on the wrong side of the Villa attackers.

Thought our lads took their goals really well though and Hendo's delivery was spot on! Another win and another clean sheet so soething very positive to build on.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #526: Jan 17, 2015 11:50:24 pm
      Can't believe that tw*t Ref, yellow carded Rickie for his celebration. Surely he has to take into account the situation where the lad has scored his first goal in a long time and is just deliriously happy. He f**king let that Sanchez get away with 5 fouls before he carded him. What a joke.
      That Sanchez lad is a fine midfielder , one to look out for i think .

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #527: Jan 17, 2015 11:52:50 pm
      That Sanchez lad is a fine midfielder , one to look out for i think .

He's a sh*t house commits so many fouls it's unbelievable and hardly the best technically.
      That's from seeing him live today and the games Villa have been on Tv.

rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #528: Jan 17, 2015 11:59:03 pm
      Worrying that some people do not rate Sakho country mile better than lovren. Yes passes are quick and tight but he always tries to get a move going or do you want him to go backwards and play it easy and safe. No coincidence looked better since he came back.

Quick Reply