Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      7 (5.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      10 (8%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      4 (3.2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      Lazar Markovic
      5 (4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      36 (28.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (7.2%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (2.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      23 (18.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      27 (21.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Voting closed: Jan 24, 2015 10:06:40 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea (League Cup SF 1st Leg): In game and Post Match Debate

Read 47893 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea (League Cup SF 1st Leg): In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #690: Jan 21, 2015 10:29:36 am
      Been trying to come up with reasons why our former number 23 @Carra23 has really got it in for our new number 23 Emre Can.

Anybody any theories?

Must be time of the month for the lad, he was whining on about Arsenal's changing room 'celebratory selfies' the other night even though clubs have been doing it all season. The way he has ribbed into our club as of late though is shocking, I thought Can did an alright job last night aside from the penalty of course. One comment from Carra that stood out last night "tonight he really looked like a centre mid playing centre back" - not sure what else you expect him to look like in a not so familiar position :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea (League Cup SF 1st Leg): In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #691: Jan 21, 2015 10:45:50 am
      It was a really good game. I'd say most Reds would have enjoyed watching that 90 min performance, whilst most chavs will have enjoyed the result more.

I think we pressed them well from the get-go and were very aggressive all over - Anfield and the occasion, has the tendancy to facilitate such performances. I thought our possession and passing was good, although we still just lack that cutting edge in the final third. A performance like that warranted a two goal cushion IMO, and it's inevitable in a way, that when we play Chelsea we never quite get what we deserve. Of course, they must get credit for that because they were on the ropes at times and just dug in with one of their typical 'bus' displays.

On a side note, did anyone notice their sportsmanship straight after HT? I thought it was obvious myself and I knew from the moment that Luiz fella started taking an age to take a throw-in or free-kick (can't remember which), immediately after HT, that Maureen had blatantly told his Sloane Square rent-boys to time waste at every opportunity.

Anyway, back to us. I thought that Coutinho out of eleven good/top performances pipped our MoTM award. It isn't easy being a creative pivotal point against a defensive-quality-drilled outfit but the little Brazilian still managed to make and find himself in pockets of space, in order to turn and cause them problems. He, unlike players of Henderson's, Allen's or Downing's (as a good comparison) ilk aren't scared to attack defenders, no matter the names he's up against. I think a lot of that has a lot to do with his own belief in his obvious quality/ability, many players with their back to goal would play the way they are facing(safe), five yards. Not this lad, he will turn, and turn his defender inside out and begin an attack. Even though ad nauseam his shooting is poor more often than not, it's good to have a player like him on form who can jink and brush off a couple heavy challenges to create something, out of nothing. I think his form, along with the team's has really picked up recently.

The same can be said for his fellow countrymen, Lucas. His performances have a touch of the 'Xabi's', in that, in the season he's rumoured to be 'off', he's producing top class performances that should be quarantining him, as only an LFC player. His tackling, passing and confidence seem to have improved three-fold and he really has become an integral player in this 'new' formation, and both him and the system are complimenting each other very nicely.

Must say, I was slightly disappointed in our wide players - Markovic & Moreno. While the graft was there, neither looked like contributing going forward. The Spaniards confidence IMO looks a little low which seems to have taken that gritty attacking edge off of his game, and Markovic up against top quality opposition found it hard to get his man on the back foot and go at him/them, opposite to Coutinho. I think, when we go to their pit, that is an area we can improve on, but both Moreno and Markovic should shoulder the responsibility in attacking their respective flanks in the second leg much more, like Coutinho did through and around the center. 

Sterling's goal was nicely taken (I just hope he doesn't believe 'the hype'), because as of late some of his performances look as though he has and the boy needs to try and keep his feet on the ground.

Credit to the back three in keeping the horrible scar-face pikey looking thing quiet for most of the match, such a rancid demeanor but not a bad footballer, even though he tripped over Sahko's heel and start dry-humping the hallowed turf of Anfield, in a sordid attempt to get a penalty for his side.

A great performance, one of which wasn't equaled by the result and it's typical really. We now go to their pit in a precarious position, where the crowd aren't behind us to facilitate our performance. But it has made it intriguing, will Maureen stick or twist at home, and do we have the cutting edge in the final third to get at a formidable home team with a defense to match?
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2015 11:25:25 am by Beerbelly »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #692: Jan 21, 2015 11:23:41 am
      A very good performance. Similar to how we played last season. Lots of pressing, playing high up the field with pace and energy. Baring in mind that was as good as Chelsea's first eleven, it was a very pleasing performance.

Unlucky not to get the win but I'm not worried about the second leg one bit. I hope they come at us and we hit them on the counter time and time again. The only reason we didn't win last night was because they had eleven men behind the ball for 90 minutes. They will be encouraged by their plastic fans to attack us at their place which will suit us perfectly.

Thought Lucas was brilliant. MOTM for me by some way.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #693: Jan 21, 2015 01:26:51 pm
      Had training last night so only watched via recording so it was too late too post last night which has turned into a good thing becasue I woke up this morning absolutel beaming from watching that performance. Gutted to a degree that we didnt finish it there and then because we could have easily

17 attempts to 1 against this side that are being paid out on as champins already by Paddy power, a team that all the pundits from Sky to the BBC drool over. Gutted that from those 17 we didnt have at least 3 maybe 4 goals that we could have easily have had, credit there to to Courtois.

Jesus at times we made them looks so ordinary, hoofing balls out into the stand like Ive never seen them. Lucas was awesome Sterling held the line superbly Sakho was as good as Ive seen him Skrtel was solid, could fault nobody

We defo have that spark back about us hunting down the opposition when they have the ball then cutting through them with fast 1 touch football when we have it. People wil say its over because they have the home tie in the 2nd leg, balls to that, were more then in this one

Finally a utd fan I know , decent lad, emailed me this morning saying "2nd half last night was the best half of football I've seen all season from any team. Should have won by 2 or 3..." 
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #694: Jan 21, 2015 02:34:28 pm
      Mignolet - 7
      Can - 8.5
      Skrtel - 7
      Sakho - 7.5
      Markovic - 6
      Henderson - 6.5
      Lucas - 8.5
      Moreno - 7
      Gerrard - 7
      Coutinho - 8
      Sterling - 8

Lallana - 6
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #695: Jan 21, 2015 02:55:18 pm
      Best performance of the season.

Don't need to say anymore than that.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #696: Jan 21, 2015 02:59:02 pm
      Been trying to come up with reasons why our former number 23 @Carra23 has really got it in for our new number 23 Emre Can.

Anybody any theories?

He tried to explain himself but honestly I thought his post was quite confusing

On twitter:

Jamie Carragher @Carra23
      Great game tonight at Anfield proper cup tie, but my comments regarding Emre Can at ht & afterwards seemed to get m http://kicca.com/Carra23/posts/54bedc55aed1d9d804d7d2b2

And then the full text:

Great game tonight at Anfield proper cup tie, but my comments regarding Emre Can at ht & afterwards seemed to get most reaction on social media from Lfc fans! My thoughts on Can at CB in a back 3 is that he gives control to the team on the ball and helps the team build from the back. In a back 3 he will also have less defending to do but, when I've seen him (and I watch every game) defend he's struggled at times in the game against Leicester, Wimbledon & on the one occasion tonight it may seem harsh but Lfc had over 60% possession so didn't have much defending to do and he was good as you'd expect with the ball & with Hazard defensivley a couple of times second half. My point is tonight was the first time he's come up against top class attackers as the teams previously Lfc would expect to dominate and win as they have done & he's impressed. But if the opposition dominate he'll have to do more defending, and CB's in a back 3 think if you had to put them in a 2 in a back 4 would you want Can there probably not but why? Because his main strength is not the defending its bringing the ball out which he'd do less in a back 4!! hopefully that clears my thoughts up And yes I wasn't quick & also made mistakes!!

https://www.kicca.com/Carra23/posts/54bedc55aed1d9d804d7d2b2
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #697: Jan 21, 2015 03:18:36 pm
      Must be time of the month for the lad, he was whining on about Arsenal's changing room 'celebratory selfies' the other night even though clubs have been doing it all season. The way he has ribbed into our club as of late though is shocking, I thought Can did an alright job last night aside from the penalty of course. One comment from Carra that stood out last night "tonight he really looked like a centre mid playing centre back" - not sure what else you expect him to look like in a not so familiar position :D

I'm assuming his memory is playing tricks on him, he was the same !
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #698: Jan 21, 2015 03:19:10 pm
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #699: Jan 21, 2015 03:20:20 pm
      Could we get a "team" option to vote on?!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #700: Jan 21, 2015 03:23:58 pm
      Luis Garcia still a big LFC follower/fan with his tweets

Reds gets the equaliser. Sterling’s speed it’s crazy. Reds 1- Chelsea 1 #YNWA

— Luis Garcia (@LuchoGarcia14) January 20, 2015

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/liverpool-hero-luis-garcia-wowed-by-raheems-sterlings-crazy-speed/279604#jIGDypXbmMoO3Mhi.99

YNWA
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #701: Jan 21, 2015 03:36:28 pm
      Could we get a "team" option to vote on?!

Poor Simon and Alberto got no love at all.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #702: Jan 21, 2015 04:22:34 pm
      That's the best this League has to offer? We F***ing battered them from whistle to whistle. Typical shitbag mentality from Chelsea. Talk about parking the bus, they parked the whole F***ing Arriva depot. Their best player was the F***ing ref as Martin Atkinson again proves that he's inept at refereeing. They had one attack in 90 minutes and managed to get a penalty out of it. We on the other hand actually went out to play football. And F**k me we played some wonderful football at times. It's probably as close to last season as we've looked so far, we've been getting better and better with every game of 2015.

Mignolet didn't have anything to do so it's hard to judge his performance. Penalty he maybe went down a little early, which Hazard always waits for, but can't fault a keeper on pens really. One good bit of keeping when Skrtel and Sakho let the ball go between them and Simple Simon was quick off his line at the start of the second half to mop up. His confidence seems to be returning.

Can struggled at times but then again how many do against Hazard? He's not a centre half but as the game went on he turned into a beast. The foul for the penalty weren't a big issue for me, the problem was getting his body in between Fabregas and ball, yet still failing to deal with it. That's a bigger problem. Second half though he was ace. Those marauding runs, with the ball, is a joy to behold. Too long have we not had that from a midfielder, Emre Can looks to have it in abundance.

Skrtel is just getting better and better. And elbowing that c**t Costa always goes down well. He's a proper out and out defender. Looks to of been told to that as well, just go and defend. One bad header in their box but apart from that he was sound.

Sakho once again doing his flash backheels. First five F***ing minutes this time an all. Dodgy pass to Lucas as well in the opening few minutes. Ducking the ball from a throw in. Odd dodgy moments but generally was good. The fact that Willian didn't touch the ball shows he done something right (either that or Chelsea didn't try to give him the ball)

Markovic started quietly but as the game went on he grew into it more and more. Second half he became a very influential player for us. Had Luis completely lost at times. Signs are looking good from Lazzy.

Henderson was immense again. Totally bossed the middle of the park. His form for 2015 has been a real standout thus far. Still needs more goals in his game but everything else, including his leadership, is on the up.

Lucas was immense again as well. String of strong performances against him. I had worries leading into this game that his lack of pace would come back to haunt us but he just marshalled that midfield brilliantly. Fabregas was ineffective because of the way Henderson and Lucas dealt with him. Helped his full backs when needed and thankfully wasn't sat on top of the back three, he realised Chelsea weren't offering us much of an attacking threat so moved forward.

Moreno I thought was quality. He was constantly our out ball. But they didn't use him as much as they could of. Put a few decent balls in the box only for people to not be in there. Along with Sakho, kept Willian and Ivanovic quiet. Their right hand side was non-existent.

Gerrard had his shooting boots on, shame he didn't have his set-piece pair on though. His delivery was F***ing useless all game. But the two efforts he had, one from twenty odd yards and the left footer that hit the post. At least one of them deserved to go in. Could see he hadn't played for a while and was rightfully brought off.

Coutinho was again suffering from the forty-five minute Phil disease. Nowhere near involved enough in the first half but the second everything went through him. His understand with Sterling is excellent and to think they've both got at least another 15 years in the game is a mouth-watering prospect if they stay here for that time. Add Sturridge into the mix and wow, we've got goals in this team.

Sterling still isn't a forward and isn't, for me, the answer to our problems up top. He played well yesterday but for the first half was kept relatively quiet. Second half, he started dropping a little deeper and getting involved more. His goal was taken so well. Running right at the heart of the defence, will give any defender nightmares. Great to have him back, scoring.

Lallana didn't do a great deal except hit one sweetly timed shot. Belter of an effort. Apart from that though, little else.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #703: Jan 21, 2015 06:46:45 pm
      Good game,we played well and maked some good chances.I feel sory Captain only hit the post.I think moreno played well,also as sterling.Markovic was bellow par.After all theres that bitter taste in my mouth we only get draw.It is goung to be a tough game on Stamford but i hope we will do well.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #704: Jan 21, 2015 07:37:00 pm
      I think the mom voting tells the story of how well we played with so many in the mix. I personally went for Coutinho but it could have gone to one of several. I don't think anybody had a bad game and we were very unlucky not to take a win to the Bridge. It's another confirmation that we are right back on track. Just need Studge back to complete the jigsaw and we should be in great shape.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #705: Jan 21, 2015 07:54:03 pm

Anybody any theories?

I heard a rumour Emre stole his gig in the new Head and Shoulders commercial.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #706: Jan 21, 2015 08:06:58 pm
      Seems to me that Carra doesn't want to criticise his mates, and Can is a new face so he feels comfortable having a pop at him.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #707: Jan 21, 2015 08:27:18 pm

Anybody any theories?

Raging he looks better in the 23.
      Mind you, with that hair, he'd look good in 8 too.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #708: Jan 21, 2015 08:49:05 pm
      I can't really argue with what Carra says......he's appraising him as a defender, not as a footballer or a prospect etc.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #709: Jan 21, 2015 08:50:57 pm
      Great game by us. Chelsea will say they are managing their team, with city coming up, but they have the squad and money to do that. They had two DMs and it was only courtois that saved them. Defensively they look vulnerable. We look better and better and  top 4 is looking good.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #710: Jan 21, 2015 10:08:40 pm
      He tried to explain himself but honestly I thought his post was quite confusing

On twitter:

Jamie Carragher @Carra23
       Because his main strength is not the defending its bringing the ball out which he'd do less in a back 4!!

1 - "main strength is not the defending" -- well, he's not a defender, he's a midfielder
      2 - "its bringing the ball out" - guess what, we currently play with a back 3, not a back 4 - think it's great he can bring the ball out, attract players in etc, something Dagger used to do

He gave away the peno, but he showed enough for me to be impressed with him last night. Not on board with the jist of Carra last night at all.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #711: Jan 21, 2015 10:29:47 pm
      Totally agree. I hope when they do add capacity to Anfield they keep this in mind. How about selling a portion of the increased seats in person (say half, or 6000 or so) at the ground, from 10am a few days prior to a match? That won't exactly exclude OOTers, but it WILL mean the slightly more passionate and committed fans will tend to get their hands on more tickets. OOTers from this forum for example could (if anybody likes them obviously) ask one of the local lads to sort them out a ticket, but the "buy on the internet/wear a silly hat/bring your camera" brigade would find these tickets at least a bit trickier to come by. I think to simply assign all the tickets to whoever has the fastest internet connection or has been on the waiting list the longest would be a missed opportunity.
      I'm an old local, and now an oot'er. Ive said ever since seats were put in the Kop, due to the lowered capacity, all kop tickets should be reserved for local post code applications. and all local post code season tickets.
      Any still available two days before a game, open to all comers. That will ensure the most passionate and localised and/or committed fans will get on the Kop. 
      Day trippers with their cameras, will have plenty of room in the stands, where the singing and chanting isn't quite the same, and won't annoy then, and upset their day out.    ;D
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #712: Jan 21, 2015 10:37:09 pm

Quick Reply