Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Sergi Canos (Liverpool -> Norwich City)

Read 17862 times
      FanBoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Re: Sergi Canos Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jun 27, 2016 12:52:23 pm
      Bristol City. My most hated club.

They're throwing cash around like there's no tomorrow - have agreed a Ā£6m fee for Lee Tomlin of Bournemouth too apparently.

Agents are destroying young players' careers with these ridiculous wage demands. For a 19 year old he should be honoured to play for a club like Liverpool. He has years yet to worry about wages.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #70: Jun 27, 2016 12:59:45 pm
      When he's asking for more than the other youngsters his age and older, who have already signed new contracts mate I don't blame the club.  He's behind Mane (when he signs), Markovic, Ibe and even Ojo for his position and like I said in the post he'll not be earning anything like Ā£10k per week at Bristol, which is what he was wanting off us.

Yes we can afford it but he's played the grand total of 10 minutes for us, so he hasn't earned it.

Good luck to him and at least we've had the sense to add a buy back clause and a hefty sell on clause too.

He may well be on less money at Bristol, but presumably he will have a better chance of regular first team football too. If we ever wish to keep our best youngsters and see them develop we have to give them some incentive to stay and usually when the opportunities aren't there it comes down to money.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #71: Jun 27, 2016 01:17:54 pm
      He may well be on less money at Bristol, but presumably he will have a better chance of regular first team football too. If we ever wish to keep our best youngsters and see them develop we have to give them some incentive to stay and usually when the opportunities aren't there it comes down to money.

Or we let them go and spread their wings to develop elsewhere with the option we can bring them back for a small fee if they become the player we need them to be.

Or would you prefer we didn't buy Mane, then sell Lallana, Ibe and Ojo so that he gets to play every week for us for the next couple of seasons mate?

If regular playing is what he wants and we can't provide it right now then I don't have a problem with him going, he needs to do what he feels is right for his career.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #72: Jun 27, 2016 01:32:46 pm
      Bristol City. My most hated club.

They're throwing cash around like there's no tomorrow - have agreed a Ā£6m fee for Lee Tomlin of Bournemouth too apparently.

Agents are destroying young players' careers with these ridiculous wage demands. For a 19 year old he should be honoured to play for a club like Liverpool. He has years yet to worry about wages.

I'll be surprised if Tomlin costs Ā£6m. It'll be no more than 3 million surely?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #73: Jun 27, 2016 01:36:23 pm
      Or we let them go and spread their wings to develop elsewhere with the option we can bring them back for a small fee if they become the player we need them to be.

Or would you prefer we didn't buy Mane, then sell Lallana, Ibe and Ojo so that he gets to play every week for us for the next couple of seasons mate?

If regular playing is what he wants and we can't provide it right now then I don't have a problem with him going, he needs to do what he feels is right for his career.

The option to buy back is conditional on him wanting to come back. Who's to say he would? Might have been a better option to loan him out which still gives us the decision.

Maybe you would prefer we let all our young players go so they could spread their wings, then you don't need to worry about our buying players and taking away young players opportunities.

As I said this is a recurring problem and we can either accept that not only can we not hang on to our best players, but now we can't even hang on to our youth players, or we reassess what we do.

Personally I have never been in favour of the shut your eyes, ignore the problem and think of the money solution.   

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Jun 27, 2016 01:49:28 pm
      The option to buy back is conditional on him wanting to come back. Who's to say he would? Might have been a better option to loan him out which still gives us the decision.

Maybe you would prefer we let all our young players go so they could spread their wings, then you don't need to worry about our buying players and taking away young players opportunities.

As I said this is a recurring problem and we can either accept that not only can we not hang on to our best players, but now we can't even hang on to our youth players, or we reassess what we do.

Personally I have never been in favour of the shut your eyes, ignore the problem and think of the money solution.   

As I understand a "buy back clause" the player agrees with the clause when the sale contract is drawn up so can't refuse to come back if we trigger it.  The price we will offer is also agreed at the point of sale too so if he develops into a worldy we won't be paying a fortune to get him back like the mancs will if they wanted Pogba back.

That's what happened with Moratta when Real let him go and with Dennis Suarez when Barca let him go. 

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #75: Jun 27, 2016 01:57:16 pm
      As I understand a "buy back clause" the player agrees with the clause when the sale contract is drawn up so can't refuse to come back if we trigger it.  The price we will offer is also agreed at the point of sale too so if he develops into a worldy we won't be paying a fortune to get him back like the mancs will if they wanted Pogba back.

That's what happened with Moratta when Real let him go and with Dennis Suarez when Barca let him go. 

I don't think so Debs, the buy back is an agreement with the club (Bristol) not the player.

I simply don't agree with the money argument mate. If you had said he wasn't good enough I would have accepted that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #76: Jun 27, 2016 02:04:05 pm
      I don't think so Debs, the buy back is an agreement with the club (Bristol) not the player.

I simply don't agree with the money argument mate. If you had said he wasn't good enough I would have accepted that.

I don't think he is good enough otherwise we would have kept him.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #77: Jun 27, 2016 02:10:40 pm
      I don't think he is good enough otherwise we would have kept him.

Yeah, but what do you know :)

I would be quite happy if that was the case mate. Just don't want to lose good players because our wages policy dictates decisions.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #78: Jun 27, 2016 02:13:49 pm
      Yeah, but what do you know :)

I would be quite happy if that was the case mate. Just don't want to lose good players because our wages policy dictates decisions.

I agree I don't know much  ;D but I know Sergi is no world beater!

He will end up in the lower leagues somewhere and earn a decent living.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #79: Jun 27, 2016 02:16:31 pm

We don't know if he's going to be good enough mate, that's been my whole point. 

If he was good enough to be a regular starter in our team now do you really think I'd be happy for him to go, of course I wouldn't but we won't know how good he's likely to be for at least another 2 seasons.

He's a good little player, he's done well at u21s and with Brentford but he's still not good enough to be a regular starter for Liverpool.

I haven't checked the details of his buy back mate but how you've described it isn't how they're usually set up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #80: Jun 27, 2016 02:22:37 pm
      We don't know if he's going to be good enough mate, that's been my whole point. 

If he was good enough to be a regular starter in our team now do you really think I'd be happy for him to go, of course I wouldn't but we won't know how good he's likely to be for at least another 2 seasons.

He's a good little player, he's done well at u21s and with Brentford but he's still not good enough to be a regular starter for Liverpool.

I haven't checked the details of his buy back mate but how you've described it isn't how they're usually set up.

The player is not under any compulsion to come back Debs. The agreement is with the buying club not the player. That's why a player can have a new contract negotiated but it doesn't effect the buyback as that is with club.

I think the point is not whether he is good enough now, but whether he is likely to be in the future. If he's not then sell him, if he is then we should be looking to keep him, not sell him to save on wages.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #81: Jun 27, 2016 02:29:24 pm

Hope you know I was joking mate.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #82: Jun 27, 2016 02:32:26 pm
      The player is not under any compulsion to come back Debs. The agreement is with the buying club not the player. That's why a player can have a new contract negotiated but it doesn't effect the buyback as that is with club.

I think the point is not whether he is good enough now, but whether he is likely to be in the future. If he's not then sell him, if he is then we should be looking to keep him, not sell him to save on wages.

Can you please explain how buy-back clauses work ā€“ like the one used in Barcelonaā€™s agreement with Aston Villa for Adama Traore?

Buy-back clauses in transfer agreements are used primarily to give a selling club the security of being able to repurchase a promising player at a set fee should the player excel in the future. Some high profile examples of such reported clauses include Ɓlvaro Morata (Juve back to Madrid),Casemiro (Porto back to Real Madrid) and Gerard Deulofeu (Everton back to Barcelona).

In many cases, the benefit of the transfer extends to the:

- selling club as they receive a transfer fee for a player that at present probably isnā€™t getting regular playing time with the possibility of requiring the player if he plays well at a predefined fee;

- buying club who can purchase a player that they otherwise may not have been able to acquire had it not been for the clause. In addition, the buyback figure is usually significantly higher than the original transfer fee; and

- player (who can play regular first team football, probably receive a pay rise and demonstrate their talent).

- The buy-back provision is usually based on a number of individual or cumulative triggers including activating the clause:

In defined transfer windows (i.e. the selling club cannot buy back the player for a minimum of two seasons);

- should the original selling club bid a set amount (which could vary depending on the season that the buy-back clause is triggered i.e. ā‚¬2m in the 15-16 windows and ā‚¬2.5m in the 16-17 windows).

- Should a buy-back provision be triggered, there is usually a contractual obligation to enforce the contract and transfer the player accordingly.

As such provisions are commercial agreements between contracting parties, there is always the possibility of removing a buy-back clause should both parties agree (usually through payment made to the club that has the benefit of the buy-back clause).

http://www.isportconnect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32853:football-transfers-buy-back-clauses-explained-daniel-geey&catid=61:sport-finance&Itemid=177
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #83: Jun 27, 2016 02:37:00 pm
      Hope you know I was joking mate.

I wasn't   :D

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #84: Jun 27, 2016 02:39:54 pm
      Can you please explain how buy-back clauses work ā€“ like the one used in Barcelonaā€™s agreement with Aston Villa for Adama Traore?

Buy-back clauses in transfer agreements are used primarily to give a selling club the security of being able to repurchase a promising player at a set fee should the player excel in the future. Some high profile examples of such reported clauses include Ɓlvaro Morata (Juve back to Madrid),Casemiro (Porto back to Real Madrid) and Gerard Deulofeu (Everton back to Barcelona).

In many cases, the benefit of the transfer extends to the:

- selling club as they receive a transfer fee for a player that at present probably isnā€™t getting regular playing time with the possibility of requiring the player if he plays well at a predefined fee;

- buying club who can purchase a player that they otherwise may not have been able to acquire had it not been for the clause. In addition, the buyback figure is usually significantly higher than the original transfer fee; and

- player (who can play regular first team football, probably receive a pay rise and demonstrate their talent).

- The buy-back provision is usually based on a number of individual or cumulative triggers including activating the clause:

In defined transfer windows (i.e. the selling club cannot buy back the player for a minimum of two seasons);

- should the original selling club bid a set amount (which could vary depending on the season that the buy-back clause is triggered i.e. ā‚¬2m in the 15-16 windows and ā‚¬2.5m in the 16-17 windows).

- Should a buy-back provision be triggered, there is usually a contractual obligation to enforce the contract and transfer the player accordingly.

As such provisions are commercial agreements between contracting parties, there is always the possibility of removing a buy-back clause should both parties agree (usually through payment made to the club that has the benefit of the buy-back clause).

http://www.isportconnect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32853:football-transfers-buy-back-clauses-explained-daniel-geey&catid=61:sport-finance&Itemid=177

I think you will find that the contractual obligation (highlighted)means with the club not the player.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #85: Jul 12, 2016 06:22:51 pm
      4 year deal agreed with Norwich.  Will be announced tomorrow.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #86: Jul 13, 2016 04:35:05 pm
      Reds confirm Sergi Canos has completed Norwich switch

Liverpool Football Club can confirm Sergi Canos has joined Norwich City on a permanent transfer.

The 19-year-old departs for Carrow Road after three years with the Reds following a move from Barcelona in the summer of 2013.

Canos spent last season on loan at Brentford, but returned to Merseyside in time to make his senior debut for JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s side as a second-half substitute in the 1-1 draw at West Brom on the final day of the Premier League campaign in May.

Everybody at Liverpool FC wishes Sergi all the best in his future career.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/227363-reds-confirm-sergi-canos-has-completed-norwich-switch

So it's official then. Price is rumoured to be around Ā£2.5m. Another bit of good business, that's a decent fee.

Best of luck at Norwich Sergi, let's hope we can see you shine in the Premier League next season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #87: Jul 13, 2016 05:00:52 pm
      Really wanted to see this kid play in Liverpool red but it wasn't to be.

All the best Sergi, do well and we could see you back one day.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Sergi Canos (Liverpool -> Norwich City)
      Reply #88: Jul 13, 2016 09:03:12 pm
      Price is rumoured to be around Ā£2.5m

Potentially another Ā£2M on top of that depending.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #89: Jul 15, 2016 12:05:44 am
      James Pearce confirmed we have a buy back clause :)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #90: Aug 23, 2016 11:21:20 pm
      Had a great game tonight well that's how it seemed listening to the radio got a brace as well .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #91: Jan 31, 2017 02:00:39 pm
      Seems he's off back to Brentford after only plying u23s footy at Norwich this season.

Quick Reply