Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sheyi Ojo (Liverpool > Cardiff City)

Read 66027 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Sheyi Ojo Player Thread
      Reply #23: Feb 17, 2015 08:23:08 pm
      First start and first assist
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #24: Feb 18, 2015 07:29:42 am
      How is he? I never saw him play.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #25: Feb 18, 2015 04:20:21 pm

He's both exciting and frustrating. Sometimes gives the ball away cheaply and needlessly. About par for the course really, being as he's so young and inexperienced and finding out the hard way that he's playing against men not boys within the Championship.

Ibe was exactly the same at Birmingham. Hopefully, Brendan will replicate precisely the same route for Ojo. Play for a team that's struggling then let McClaren 'polish' him off at Derby.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Feb 18, 2015 05:12:26 pm
      He's both exciting and frustrating. Sometimes gives the ball away cheaply and needlessly. About par for the course really, being as he's so young and inexperienced and finding out the hard way that he's playing against men not boys within the Championship.

Ibe was exactly the same at Birmingham. Hopefully, Brendan will replicate precisely the same route for Ojo. Play for a team that's struggling then let McClaren 'polish' him off at Derby.

Thanks mate for the info. Good to know.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #27: Feb 18, 2015 05:17:26 pm
      He'll be class. We really have many good young wingers who'll and can be 1 of the best wingers in the world in the future. Sterling, Ibe, Ojo, Markovic, Sinclair and Teixera!

Not the right thread, but I will be stunned if Teixera makes it with us. He's only a bit younger than Borini was when he went on loan to Sunderland for starters. Or nine months younger than Coutinho is now. At 22 they should be pushing for a first team place, or at the very least be getting a loan in the premier league or a strong championship team. He is a creative midfielder, who unlike defenders, flourish young so he hasn't got much more time.

He's also only playing as a squad member for a pretty weak championship team. He's done alright; 3 goals and 4 assists in all competitions, but that's not hugely impressive for a 22 year old who is hoping not just to step up a league, but to go to one of the strongest teams in the league above. There are plenty of 22 year old players in the championship, not only doing as well as that, but also much better. If I saw him play not knowing he was a Liverpool player, my first thought would not be "He looks like a prospect", but rather "a slightly above average championship player". In fact, I probably wouldn't notice him.

Finally, his position is one of the most contested in our squad. Not only do we have our established talents vying for attacking midfield positions, but also it is where the bulk of our emerging talent lies. Even Luis Alberto, who is of quite a similar age, has a better chance here. He has a diminished role in his team relative to Teixera, but is looking decentish for team which is pushing for Europe rather than one fighting relegation from the championship.

I hope I'm wrong of course, but it doesn't look good for Portuguese Joe
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Feb 18, 2015 05:56:19 pm
      Sheyi is now in the top 10 players for goals and assists in the Championship based on minutes played.  Not bad for 17 years old but I don't think he'll go on loan next season, there's an interview with Malky saying Brendan intends bringing him into the 1st team squad in the summer. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #29: Feb 18, 2015 06:04:30 pm
      Not the right thread, but I will be stunned if Teixera makes it with us. He's only a bit younger than Borini was when he went on loan to Sunderland for starters. Or nine months younger than Coutinho is now. At 22 they should be pushing for a first team place, or at the very least be getting a loan in the premier league or a strong championship team. He is a creative midfielder, who unlike defenders, flourish young so he hasn't got much more time.

He's also only playing as a squad member for a pretty weak championship team. He's done alright; 3 goals and 4 assists in all competitions, but that's not hugely impressive for a 22 year old who is hoping not just to step up a league, but to go to one of the strongest teams in the league above. There are plenty of 22 year old players in the championship, not only doing as well as that, but also much better. If I saw him play not knowing he was a Liverpool player, my first thought would not be "He looks like a prospect", but rather "a slightly above average championship player". In fact, I probably wouldn't notice him.

Finally, his position is one of the most contested in our squad. Not only do we have our established talents vying for attacking midfield positions, but also it is where the bulk of our emerging talent lies. Even Luis Alberto, who is of quite a similar age, has a better chance here. He has a diminished role in his team relative to Teixera, but is looking decentish for team which is pushing for Europe rather than one fighting relegation from the championship.

I hope I'm wrong of course, but it doesn't look good for Portuguese Joe

Tex's case is slightly different to most young players though mate.  He lost nearly 2 years of his development at a crucial age due to a serious back injury which nearly ended his career.  I'm sure he'll be given a bit more patience than others have been.

His underlying numbers are pretty good for his first proper season at pro level and for minutes played I believe he's in the top 5 for goals and assists in the Championship.

Sorry for the off topic comment folks.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #30: Feb 18, 2015 06:11:30 pm
      Sheyi is now in the top 10 players for goals and assists in the Championship based on minutes played.  Not bad for 17 years old but I don't think he'll go on loan next season, there's an interview with Malky saying Brendan intends bringing him into the 1st team squad in the summer.

Can you remember where you saw that Debs? I wouldn't mind a gander.

Personally, I'd rather Brendan bringing along and furthering the development of Wilson. With the recent photographs of him training with the 1st team, that's probably the intention anyway but, IMO he is not as raw as Ojo, he knows where the back of the net is and moreover, it's not as though we're short of options on the right.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #31: Feb 18, 2015 06:25:57 pm
      Tex's case is slightly different to most young players though mate.  He lost nearly 2 years of his development at a crucial age due to a serious back injury which nearly ended his career.  I'm sure he'll be given a bit more patience than others have been.

His underlying numbers are pretty good for his first proper season at pro level and for minutes played I believe he's in the top 5 for goals and assists in the Championship.

Sorry for the off topic comment folks.

Unfortunately you can't buy back that time. Playing whilst one is developing is crucial. We can't look at him like he is two years younger - he isn't going to have an extra two years of development. He might be able to salvage a professional footballing career - something that many sadly fail to do after a long layoff whilst young, but there is no evidence to suggest that players who are injured young develop later - the opposite in fact.

The bold is so far off being accurate, I have no idea where you got that from.
      He is not in the top 5 for either. He is 78th in the championship for goals, and 56th for Assists, with many, many younger players (many below the age of 20) occupying the spaces in between. His underlying numbers are ok, but not great - certainly nowhere near encouraging. He completes a large amount of dribbles which is promising (top 5 in the championship), and a decent amount of key passes (top 30), but not much else. He is the second most dispossessed player in the entire league and is high up there for ball losses caused by a bad touch.
      He will be a decent Championship player, probably for a yo-yo team, but there is nothing to indicate anything more than that

EDIT: Perhaps any replies to this should go in the Tex thread. Don't want to fill the Ojo thread up with off topic stuff
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2015 06:39:36 pm by Thaddeus »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Feb 18, 2015 06:31:34 pm
      Can you remember where you saw that Debs? I wouldn't mind a gander.

Personally, I'd rather Brendan bringing along and furthering the development of Wilson. With the recent photographs of him training with the 1st team, that's probably the intention anyway but, IMO he is not as raw as Ojo, he knows where the back of the net is and moreover, it's not as though we're short of options on the right.

It was his pre or post match interview I think mate but both Beale and Inglethorpe have said that his target for next season is a permanent move to Melwood so they're clearly planning a route into the 1st team for him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Feb 18, 2015 06:38:36 pm
      Unfortunately you can't buy back that time. Playing whilst one is developing is crucial. We can't look at him like he is two years younger - he isn't going to have an extra two years of development. He might be able to salvage a professional footballing career - something that many sadly fail to do after a long layoff whilst young, but there is no evidence to suggest that players who are injured young develop later - the opposite in fact.

The bold is so far off being accurate, I have no idea where you got that from.
      He is not in the top 5 for either. He is 78th in the championship for goals, and 56th for Assists, with many, many younger players (many below the age of 20) occupying the spaces in between. His underlying numbers are ok, but not great - certainly nowhere near encouraging. He completes a large amount of dribbles which is promising (top 5 in the championship), and a decent amount of key passes (top 30), but not much else. He is the second most dispossessed player in the entire league and is high up there for ball losses caused by a bad touch.
      He will be a decent Championship player, probably for a yo-yo team, but there is nothing to indicate anything more than that

You're probably right mate.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #34: Feb 21, 2015 04:33:28 pm
      Sheyi Ojo was given WIGAN man of the match last night, albeit a 3-0 loss.

https://twitter.com/sheyi_ojo/status/568905657103065088
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #35: Feb 25, 2015 04:23:30 pm
      seems like yet again another exciting attacking player we are knocking them out at the moment all these players could save us a fortune if given a chance under BR. all depends on if they take that chance like Sterling and Ibe so far two of the most exciting british players knocking about.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #36: Aug 02, 2015 10:11:23 pm
      Congrats to Sheji on his goal. Had a bit of luck for going in but it still was a powerfull voley.
      Great it turned up to be a winning goal.
      Hope it builds up his confidence.
      Lad can become a very exciting player.
      My favourite young talent Liverpool got at the moment besides Ibe.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #37: Aug 02, 2015 10:38:50 pm
      Sounds like he's going on loan to Wolves, that's a great move for him if it happens.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Aug 02, 2015 11:03:37 pm
      Sounds like he's going on loan to Wolves, that's a great move for him if it happens.

Wolves fans seem pretty keen on him too which is positive.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #39: Aug 02, 2015 11:37:42 pm
      speaking of young/academy kids, does anyone remember the name of the striker we sent on loan to Hearts a couple of seasons ago?  tall, skinny, black lad---looked but I can't find him and don't remember his name.  Is he still with us or did we get rid of him?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Aug 02, 2015 11:41:33 pm
      speaking of young/academy kids, does anyone remember the name of the striker we sent on loan to Hearts a couple of seasons ago?  tall, skinny, black lad---looked but I can't find him and don't remember his name.  Is he still with us or did we get rid of him?

David Ngog?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #41: Aug 02, 2015 11:42:31 pm

tall, skinny and black fits but no it wasn't him.  :)

a young lad.  Didn't make it into the first team yet.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #42: Aug 02, 2015 11:42:52 pm

Michael Ngoo? Don't think he's with us anymore now
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #43: Aug 02, 2015 11:44:36 pm

Ngoo.....bounced around the scottish league/league one/championship and is currently teamless.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #44: Aug 02, 2015 11:45:32 pm
      Michael Ngoo? Don't think he's with us anymore now

Ngoo.....bounced around the scottish league/league one/championship and is currently teamless.

Ah well done lads.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #45: Aug 02, 2015 11:55:27 pm

Ngoo.... yup, that's him.  thanks mate.

Hard to believe that someone who was good enough to be in our Academy could suddenly become so bad that not even a team in League 1 would want him.

Quick Reply