Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sheyi Ojo (Liverpool > Cardiff City)

Read 66040 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Sheyi Ojo Player Thread
      Reply #184: Jan 26, 2017 05:45:02 pm
      Good lad.  Keep listening and learning.

Sheyi Ojo: Why Klopp praised my Plymouth reaction.

David Lynch.

Sheyi Ojo has lifted the lid on why Jürgen Klopp hailed his reaction to constructive criticism after a promising cameo against Plymouth Argyle earlier this month.

The young winger provided a bright spark on the left wing after emerging from the bench in the 76th minute of Liverpool's 1-0 win over the Pilgrims in an FA Cup third-round replay.

He was subsequently singled out for praise in the manager's post-match press conference – but not just because of his encouraging performance.

It was, in fact, that Ojo had clearly taken on the advice of the Reds' coaching staff prior to running out at Home Park that most pleased Klopp.

When asked what his boss had requested of him, the 19-year-old told Liverpoolfc.com: "It was mainly just being sharp and direct whenever I get the ball, trying to use my qualities: my pace and my skills.

"[I have to try] to go forward as much as possible because that's my job in the team – to go forward, create chances and score some goals.

"That's been my main aim and if I get another opportunity, that's what I'll be looking to do."

Reflecting on Klopp's comments specifically, he added: "It's always nice to get praise from the manager but I think I've got a lot to offer and one of the things that I need to really focus on is to keep working hard in training and listening to the staff.

"Hopefully, if I get the opportunity I can take it."

The former MK Dons wide-man is now determined to build on the recent acclaim of his manager by proving he deserves more first-team chances in training.

"Every day in training you have to treat it like a match and my main focus is to train well, to work hard and to listen to what the manager's saying and be direct whenever I get the ball," he continued.

"I'll keep looking to do that for the rest of the season."

Ojo will hope to get such an opportunity on Saturday, when Liverpool host Wolverhampton Wanderers in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

It is an opponent he knows well, having spent the first half of last season on loan with the Championship club before being recalled early by Klopp.

And he remains grateful for a six-month stint at Molineux which he believes helped him make some big improvements.

He explained: "[I learned] a lot of things, really.  It was my first proper loan – I know I went on loan to Wigan the season before but I think there was more responsibility on me playing consistently in the Championship [at Wolves].

"I played just under 20 games and it was a great experience for me, I learned a lot of things, [like] different ways teams play and things I can add to my game.  I think that's helped me for the future.

"More so mentally, [learning] all the different things you have to understand as a young player coming through.

"I think that has helped me since I've been back at Liverpool."
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #185: Apr 03, 2017 09:52:49 pm
      Where is Ojo now? I would have thought that with all the injuries on hand that he would be on the bench? Crazy to think that Woodburn is showing more desire than him... so much talent but not enough desire it seems... thoughts?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #186: Apr 03, 2017 09:58:10 pm
      Where is Ojo now? I would have thought that with all the injuries on hand that he would be on the bench? Crazy to think that Woodburn is showing more desire than him... so much talent but not enough desire it seems... thoughts?

What has he done for you to question his desire?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #187: May 23, 2017 04:22:49 pm
      Thought Ojo looked good in a starting role for the England U20s this morning. He played mostly on the left wing and created a couple of very good chances in the first 15 minutes with crosses. He also showed a willingness and ability to beat players 1v1 with his pace, and his movement off the ball helped him to a chance of his own, which he probably should have done better with.

I know people are excited about Woodburn and rightly so, but going back to the preseason and how much Ojo was featuring before his injury, I still rate him as a U23 player likely to feature for the first team in the coming season (although he might be loaned out as I can see a lower Premier League team finding him a very attractive option).

Ejaria didn't get in today, after about 10 minutes in the first game. Hopefully they both will start in the next group match.

Horrendous own goal for England in this game, btw. Video of that one is on The Echo. Watch if you enjoy feeling embarrassed for someone you don't even know.  :)

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #188: May 23, 2017 04:28:16 pm
      Thought Ojo looked good in a starting role for the England U20s this morning. He played mostly on the left wing and created a couple of very good chances in the first 15 minutes with crosses. He also showed a willingness and ability to beat players 1v1 with his pace, and his movement off the ball helped him to a chance of his own, which he probably should have done better with.

I know people are excited about Woodburn and rightly so, but going back to the preseason and how much Ojo was featuring before his injury, I still rate him as a U23 player likely to feature for the first team in the coming season (although he might be loaned out as I can see a lower Premier League team finding him a very attractive option).

Ejaria didn't get in today, after about 10 minutes in the first game. Hopefully they both will start in the next group match.

Horrendous own goal for England in this game, btw. Video of that one is on The Echo. Watch if you enjoy feeling embarrassed for someone you don't even know.  :)

He's so much better on the left than on the right IMO. He can beat players more easily too and he has a really good cross on him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #189: May 23, 2017 04:51:07 pm
      He's so much better on the left than on the right IMO. He can beat players more easily too and he has a really good cross on him.

Definitely. This is where he played vs. Roma and from where he scored the goal, although I guess that's game where he hurt this neck/back.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #190: Jun 08, 2017 01:53:06 pm
      Well done Ojo, in the final. Brilliant impact from the bench. He has potential!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #191: Jun 08, 2017 01:57:56 pm
      I'm surprised he hasn't started more. Calvert Lewin has been shocking yet somehow continues to start ahead of him.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #192: Jun 08, 2017 02:03:24 pm
      Changed the game when he came on and provided two assists. Played right wing.

Has an uncanny ability to beat his marker one on one and his end product seems to be improving.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #193: Jun 08, 2017 08:49:32 pm
      Lad played brilliantly  when he came on.

Well done  !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #194: Jun 09, 2017 04:26:50 pm
      Lad played brilliantly  when he came on.

Well done  !

Agree with you all. As I mentioned elsewhere, he was the closest of our kids to playing a lot in the first team, up until he was injured in the final week of preseason. I know it's U20 competition, but he looked that good again for those 40 minutes yesterday, making two goals and generally giving Italy nightmares. No question about his fitness at this point, let's hope he really kicks on when the team meets for preseason. We talk about his (and other young players') potential, but the way it happens too often at big clubs is that those young players never actually get the chance in part because the club (including supporters) have no patience. A kid has a subpar game (like the match vs. Wolves this season) and they are out of the reckoning for seemingly the foreseeable future. We need to produce some Fowlers, Owens, McManamans again - guys who rise up through the club AND become first team regulars while still 18, 19, 20 years old.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #195: Jun 09, 2017 08:06:42 pm
      Agree with you all. As I mentioned elsewhere, he was the closest of our kids to playing a lot in the first team, up until he was injured in the final week of preseason. I know it's U20 competition, but he looked that good again for those 40 minutes yesterday, making two goals and generally giving Italy nightmares. No question about his fitness at this point, let's hope he really kicks on when the team meets for preseason. We talk about his (and other young players') potential, but the way it happens too often at big clubs is that those young players never actually get the chance in part because the club (including supporters) have no patience. A kid has a subpar game (like the match vs. Wolves this season) and they are out of the reckoning for seemingly the foreseeable future. We need to produce some Fowlers, Owens, McManamans again - guys who rise up through the club AND become first team regulars while still 18, 19, 20 years old.

and Klopp as we have seen is a manager that is willing to play the youngsters .
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #196: Jun 10, 2017 12:41:49 am
      and Klopp as we have seen is a manager that is willing to play the youngsters .

Erm...they have gotten some games, yes. But I think we might see a little more in that department. I would like to see him mix them the regular lineup a bit more, not so much the play them all at one time so we can rest the first team approach. The SAF example of using that group of players in the League Cup and then building from there is, I guess, the model example, with Beckham, Butt, Scholes, Giggs and the Nevilles all signing with that club as schoolboys and becoming very successful first team regulars for many years.  How great would it be to see that from Woodburn, Ojo, Ejaria, TAA and Brewster?

But the questions are always "Are they good enough?" and "If they are good enough, will they get a sustained opportunity?"
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #197: Jun 10, 2017 11:53:06 am
      Crackin substitution.He made such a difference.Scared the sh*** out of the Italian defence.As for how good he could be?
      My opinion is he will definitely make up into a very very good player.The confidence he shows for one so young is very inspiring.Good on ya Shay.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #198: Jul 18, 2017 03:31:19 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #199: Jul 18, 2017 03:57:53 pm
      Fulham would be a a really good move for him I feel.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #200: Jul 19, 2017 02:52:20 am
      Not happy about this. Loans don't work. He should be training with Premier League quality not playing with Championship players. Waste of a year.

Talk all you want about 'valuable first team experience' but tell me 5 or even 3 times a loan has worked out out of the hundreds that we've sent out over the years. Save you the research, you can't.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #201: Jul 19, 2017 08:33:56 am
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #202: Aug 17, 2017 08:58:47 am
      Players loan to Fulham confirmed.

Hope he has a good one.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #203: Sep 30, 2017 04:54:37 pm
      Did his shoulder yesterday against QPR,out for 3 months.Dude can't get a break with injuries.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #204: Nov 22, 2017 05:14:16 pm
      Scored a couple and made one on his return for Fulham yesterday.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #205: Nov 22, 2017 05:30:59 pm
      Scored a couple and made one on his return for Fulham yesterday.

Really pleased for the lad
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #206: Feb 26, 2018 01:00:02 pm
      Glad to see he has returned to the Fulham lineup after missing six matches with injury. Still think he is a promising talent.

Quick Reply