Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The Witcher 3

Read 3530 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      The Witcher 3
      Jan 26, 2015 04:34:05 pm
      http://youtu.be/1ZMhqM3XEbA

So, I never heard of this game and was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay demo. I am very very very tempted as the game looks amazing.  Anyone here played Witcher 1 & 2? If so, what's it like? good story and gameplay? Should I play 1 & 2 before I play 3?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: The Witcher 3
      Reply #1: Jan 27, 2015 12:00:15 pm
      If you like RPG's, they are definitely worth playing!

I've played both, though I didn't finish the first. The second is probably one of my favourite RPG's ever, so most of what I say is going off that game. The games are based on some Polish novels and short stories. The world is deep and immersive, characters are interesting and the story itself is very good. There is an overarching theme between all the games so far, but there are also storylines self contained within the game. Your choices genuinely matter, and will influence what you experience in your playthrough. Gameplay wise it's solid, combat is fun, fairly deep and looks good, and on higher difficulties you must make full use of the signs (magic powers) and pre-prepared potions, sword oils and poisons. Graphically the game is also very good. CDProjekt Red also have a reputation for releasing content updates and DLC for free.

Whether or not you should play the first two is down to how much time you have! Both games are lengthy - as I said, I didn't finish the first, the second I've completed only once, and could play it again for entirely new content I didn't see before. I'd definitely recommend playing the second, it's a great game and well worth playing, get the Enhanced Edition for the most content. There are various catch up videos online, and some in the second games Extras, so plot-wise you don't have to play either, though it will probably help to understand Geralt's motivations in the 3rd, as well as the political and military situation that's going on. There is a lot of depth to the story and the world so a bit of context may mean you enjoy the game more.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2015 02:31:59 pm
      If you like RPG's, they are definitely worth playing!

I've played both, though I didn't finish the first. The second is probably one of my favourite RPG's ever, so most of what I say is going off that game. The games are based on some Polish novels and short stories. The world is deep and immersive, characters are interesting and the story itself is very good. There is an overarching theme between all the games so far, but there are also storylines self contained within the game. Your choices genuinely matter, and will influence what you experience in your playthrough. Gameplay wise it's solid, combat is fun, fairly deep and looks good, and on higher difficulties you must make full use of the signs (magic powers) and pre-prepared potions, sword oils and poisons. Graphically the game is also very good. CDProjekt Red also have a reputation for releasing content updates and DLC for free.

Whether or not you should play the first two is down to how much time you have! Both games are lengthy - as I said, I didn't finish the first, the second I've completed only once, and could play it again for entirely new content I didn't see before. I'd definitely recommend playing the second, it's a great game and well worth playing, get the Enhanced Edition for the most content. There are various catch up videos online, and some in the second games Extras, so plot-wise you don't have to play either, though it will probably help to understand Geralt's motivations in the 3rd, as well as the political and military situation that's going on. There is a lot of depth to the story and the world so a bit of context may mean you enjoy the game more.

I don't particular like RPG's :( They are too time consuming and suck you in!! However, this game looks too immense to pass up, so I'll give it a try. With so little time in RL at the moment, I'll find a game movie of 1 & 2 instead of playing it :D

I still have a backlog of games to play. Have yet to play Uncharted 2 & 3, Bioshock etc etc!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: May 15, 2015 01:04:29 am
      youtube.com/watch?v=ehjJ614QfeM

Not long now :D
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4: May 15, 2015 11:32:15 am
      youtube.com/watch?v=ehjJ614QfeM

Not long now :D

Not long indeed, counting down every hour! Got my copy pre-loaded on Steam already ;D (By the way, your video isn't linked properly mate, can't click it)

Launch Trailer

Here's a brief summary of the reviews which have been coming in this week.

Destructoid - 8/10
      GameTrailers - 9.8/10
      Telegraph - 5/5
      Vandal - 9.4/10
      Hobby Consolas - 95/100
      Play3 (german) - 9/10
      GamePro (german) - 92/100
      Metro - 9/10
      XGN (dutch) - 9.5/10
      Gamespot - 10/10
      IGN - 9.3/10
      Game Informer - 9.75/10
      GamesRadar - 4/5
      AusGamers - 10/10
      PC Games (german) - 90/100
      Implusegamer - 5/5
      Polygon - 8/10 (Provisional)
      Destructoid - 8/10

From Eurogamer:
      Ambiguity and the messiness of human life. Games have already proven that they can build and populate open worlds, even worlds as majestic and romantic and wild as this one. But this stuff is a reminder that the Witcher 3 is trying to do something different. It is trying to make an open world feel convincingly inhabited, to give it the warp and weft of narrative history. That's a pretty interesting quest, and CD Projekt is a pretty interesting adventurer, beating a path into strange and bewitching new places. The result is that this Polish studio's first open world is one of the greatest we've ever seen.

Overall some fantastic reviews. Gamespot giving it a 10/10 is quite a big deal, they don't hand that score out to anything. Looks like this is reaching a far bigger audience than the previous two games. Hope it is well received, the studio deserves a resounding success.

Personally think this'll be by far my favourite game of the year, but I am biased considering I loved the last one. Either way, if you're at all interested, read the reviews, watch the videos and form an opinion. Don't be put off by the RPG fantasy setting if that's not usually your cup of tea, whilst it's full of monsters and magic it's very much grounded in a kind of medieval historical reality.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: May 15, 2015 09:25:19 pm
      It really is gonna be an epic game, isn't it? Been watching the playthrough, the cinematics, reading up on the lore etc.  I really have hyped it up for myself and believe this could be the GOTY for me too.

Been playing Bloodborne and been addicted to it, but with Witcher 3 out on Monday, I think it's time to put that aside and play all 200hrs gameplay of Witcher 3, though my Wife and baby may have something to say about that.. rofl
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #6: May 27, 2015 12:43:59 pm
      Been playing this solid for a few days now. Approaching a days worth of game time and haven't really played much of the main storyline for a while now - that's just how immense this game is.

I must have around 15 quests that I can pick and choose from at the moment. Been trying to rank up and gain as much coin as I can to aid with the more challenging quests and it's fun as F**k. Though, the progression through the ranks is a bit slow when only dealing with side quests I've learned.

Only drawback is that there seems to be a few quests that can glitch and become impossible to complete, but that's to be expected and the developer is working on patching those.

A game worthy of the high praise it's receiving. Best praise I can personally give is that it has been just as fun as Shadow of Mordor with a hell of a lot more to do.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: May 28, 2015 12:58:22 pm
      Only drawback is that there seems to be a few quests that can glitch and become impossible to complete, but that's to be expected and the developer is working on patching those.

Completed everything in the first map and 3/4 through the 2nd map (side quests and ? areas), have yet to encounter any problems, just silly crashes even though my PC temps are fine :(
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Jun 29, 2015 03:19:21 pm
      Fantastic game. Reminds me of how I felt while playing Morrowind for the first time. Much better than Skyrim imo, better storyline, better quests, better fighting system and as much sex as you want. Excellent music, graphics and well worth the money (less than £20 on cd keys.com) and GOG is much better than Steam and loads of Witcher 3 freebies and DLC's too.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Jun 29, 2015 07:33:52 pm
      I'm on Ard Skellige now at level 20 and my quest log is so ridiculously full it's a bit daunting opening the game up and having so much on. Given main quests will be too easy if you level up doing all the side quests, I don't think it's remotely possible to finish everything this game has to offer.

Wouldn't have it any other way though, my personal favourite game for quite some time.

GOG is much better than Steam and loads of Witcher 3 freebies and DLC's too.

If you weren't aware GOG is actually a subsidiary of CDProjekt Red (the Witcher developers). Buying the game through them insures that the maxium amount of your cash goes into their hands.

The free DLC is yet another reason to praise these guys. So far I've downloaded an alternative look for a main character, a treasure hunt quest and a completely stand alone quest, and I haven't even got all the free stuff on offer.  :clap:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10: Jul 01, 2015 08:34:31 am
      I'm on Ard Skellige now at level 20 and my quest log is so ridiculously full it's a bit daunting opening the game up and having so much on. Given main quests will be too easy if you level up doing all the side quests, I don't think it's remotely possible to finish everything this game has to offer.

Wouldn't have it any other way though, my personal favourite game for quite some time.

If you weren't aware GOG is actually a subsidiary of CDProjekt Red (the Witcher developers). Buying the game through them insures that the maxium amount of your cash goes into their hands.

The free DLC is yet another reason to praise these guys. So far I've downloaded an alternative look for a main character, a treasure hunt quest and a completely stand alone quest, and I haven't even got all the free stuff on offer.  :clap:

Didn't realize GOG was connected to CDProjekt Red , suppose that explains all the freebies.

I have finished Witcher 3 now and am on my second play through. My only criticism is that the final part of the main quest plays more like an interactive movie rather than a game and gives out level up's like toffee towards the end, so I wouldn't worry too much about being over levelled.

I tried to continue to play after I had finished the main quest, but like most games, it seems empty once the main quest is finished....easier and more fun to just start again :)   

This time I will try to complete all the quests, treasure hunts etc before hand. Although I may leave Jenny o' the woods till level 12 or so rather than trying to beat her at level 6 like the first time :D

Quick Reply