Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      39 (36.4%)
      Emre Can
      5 (4.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      11 (10.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.9%)
      Lazar Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.9%)
      Lucas Leiva
      18 (16.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      22 (20.6%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (1.9%)
      Mario Balotelli
      4 (3.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: Jan 31, 2015 10:22:16 pm

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (2-1 agg): In game and Post Match goalhunt

Read 50564 times
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Re: Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (2-1 agg): In game and Post Match goalhunt
      Reply #736: Jan 28, 2015 10:45:32 am
      You're just taking a piss. Really.

Like Jay Z said "Men lie, women lie, the numbers don't"

If you have any rebuttal to the Balotelli stats, I'm ready to listen and learn.

This is taken from Forzaitalianfootball:

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/08/mario-balotelli-at-ac-milan-hype-vs-reality/

"The statistics look impressive at first glance but seldom tell the whole story. Balotelli scored 30 goals in 54 matches  in all competitions for AC Milan, and those stats look much better when compared to the 28 goals he scored in 86 matches for Inter and 30 goals in 80 appearances with Manchester City.

The manner of how he scored those 30 goals for AC Milan must be taken to account, with a good amount of them came from dead-ball situations.

Ten of those goals were scored from the penalty spot and five of them came from direct free-kicks. To go into more depth, six of those penalties accounted for his 12 Serie A goals in the 2012-13 season and four of those free-kicks were part of his 14-goal haul in the last year’s campaign.

If you were take away those goals from dead-ball situations, Balotelli scored only 15 goals from open-play in 54 games. Those statistics do not look as impressive for someone who played as the main centre-forward for one of Italy’s biggest clubs.
      "

CONCLUSION: He is a myth of a striker
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #737: Jan 28, 2015 10:52:45 am
      I've got no problem with what Costa did, seriously, It's the players job to push the boundaries to the absolute limit, to use whatever means they can get away with in order to win. Suarez used to do it for us and I loved him for it, Costa does it for them.

If though the referee doesn't see it (and he didn't last night) but the TV cameras do, in modern football you (rightly) get punished retrospectively. Anything less than 3 games will leave the FA looking even more of a laughing stock than they already do. It won't help us any, but it'll be justice of a sort at least. 

Are you really saying that you have no problem with a player deliberately trying to injure a fellow player, do you hold the same casual attitude to ABH and GBH? Stamping on someones ankle can cause serious injury and he very much meant it both times.
      In my opinion Suarez could be a cheeky f**ker and was a master at drawing fouls but I can't recall him deliberately trying to hurt another player, insanity bites aside :-).
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #738: Jan 28, 2015 10:52:57 am
      I've got no problem with what Costa did, seriously, It's the players job to push the boundaries to the absolute limit, to use whatever means they can get away with in order to win. Suarez used to do it for us and I loved him for it, Costa does it for them.

If though the referee doesn't see it (and he didn't last night) but the TV cameras do, in modern football you (rightly) get punished retrospectively. Anything less than 3 games will leave the FA looking even more of a laughing stock than they already do. It won't help us any, but it'll be justice of a sort at least.

That's why everyone is F***ing raging mate, Suarez got hammered for the same carry on when he used to wind up the opposition and the provocation he used.
      Over the 2 legs Chelsea cheated without reservation, not one individual but every one of them from the manager to the 'keeper, instruction had been given and it was all on record thanks to TV coverage.

Will the FA take any action to bring a team that is globally known for cheating into line?
      Bearing in mind of course the situation has only developed in the light of blatant inaction by the FA in the past and them not being consistent with disciplinary measures, vis a vis Chelsea and other Prem. sides.
      That being the case any chance of reciprocal action are minute if not zero.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #739: Jan 28, 2015 10:59:05 am
      Years                  Team                   Apps†   (Gls)†
      2006–2007   Lumezzane                 2           (0)
      2007–2010   Internazionale            59           (20)
      2010–2013   Manchester City          54           (20)
      2013–2014   Milan                            43           (26)
      2014–           Liverpool.                     13.             (0)

Posted above are Balotelli's game stats.

So what we have is a very good striker that has been made to look very poor. He's averaged about 22 goals every season and suddenly he's a poor striker at Liverpool FC.

Going by your figures Solo; it's closer to 5 per season average than 20 but...

Even at one goal every three and a quarter games, you'd be pushing it to describe the lad as prolific - never mind "very good". And that's including all his goals from penalties & free kicks.
       :-\
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #740: Jan 28, 2015 11:03:41 am

Even at one goal every three and a quarter games, you'd be pushing it to describe the lad as prolific - never mind "very good". And that's including all his goals from penalties & free kicks.

I think its 25 goals from 26 spot kicks, which is an impressive recored but take those pens out of his 90 career goals, and its 60 goals in 239 games.... thats pretty average

He has scored free kicks too, so the number of open play goals would come down even more
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #741: Jan 28, 2015 11:05:43 am
      I beg to differ on some of your observations. Balotelli's got brilliant touches, game intelligence and darn good dribbler.

Build the team around him and see the difference. Suarez wasn't all that in his first season at Anfield. Gerrard out scored him by over 7 goals. But once the team worked around him, he blossomed. Torres too.

So let be get this right. You want us to build our whole team around a lazy, stroppy striker who never runs in behind the opposition defence, spends most of his time arseing around on the wing for god knows what reason and can't hit a barnyard door?

Buy he can make a fancy flick or two... whoopidy f**king doo!

The most bizarre part of your argument here is comparing him to Suarez and Torres. We built out team around those players because they possessed all the attributes of a top striker making it easy to build the team around them.

How do you not get Balotelli possesses none of the qualities of Suarez or even Torres and thus it will never be possible to build a functioning team around him?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #742: Jan 28, 2015 11:06:11 am

The bottom line is that he is playing terrible for us, I don't give a crap how bloody brilliant he was before, for us he's sh*te and should be shipped out, I'm fed up with him now.
      To suggest we build our beautiful fluid dynamic team of Sterling, Coutinhio and Markovitch etc round a lumbering oaf like Balotelli is quite offensive.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #743: Jan 28, 2015 11:08:31 am
      The bottom line is that he is playing terrible for us, I don't give a crap how bloody brilliant he was before, for us he's sh*te and should be shipped out, I'm fed up with him now.
      To suggest we build our beautiful fluid dynamic team of Sterling, Coutinhio and Markovitch etc round a lumbering oaf like Balotelli is quite offensive.

Exactly. It's both offensive and just plain bizarre.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #744: Jan 28, 2015 11:14:46 am

Mario is not Suarez or Sturridge. Brendan shouldn't  have bought him if he knew he wasn't going to be able to use him effectively.
      [/quote]

sorry, but what is Mario's best position to be used effectively, he is a striker, he was played as a main striker, partnered striker, behind the striker on the sides, 
       with all due respect to mario, if  you use him  anywhere and that does not change that he is lazy when he is not on the ball, he simply does not work for the team, and that IMHO damages the style of play the team plays, thats why we were so good last season with suarez because Luis ran his heart out to win the ball back  for the team
       To be honest , I don't know  and understand what triggered our interest in him in the first place, seeing his attitude with inter,city and milan, guess it was  a panic buy after the Remy transfer fiasco

YNWA
      LFCexiled
      Reply #745: Jan 28, 2015 11:19:49 am
      Not including last night Balotelli has had 47 shots in the prem for us, I think most of us can vividly remember the seeing the majority of them heading towards the spotlights.

As I said earlier, the best we can hope for with the lad is he's going to be the perfect foil for Studge. The problem with that is he becomes a one trick pony and is therefore useless at all other times, much like he is now.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #746: Jan 28, 2015 11:23:58 am
      Not including last night Balotelli has had 47 shots in the prem for us, I think most of us can vividly remember the seeing the majority of them heading towards the spotlights.

As I said earlier, the best we can hope for with the lad is he's going to be the perfect foil for Studge. The problem with that is he becomes a one trick pony and is therefore useless at all other times, much like he is now.

The best we can all hope for is that he goes and we get someone else in to do a better job... at the moment a mere 7-10 goals-a-season striker would be an improvement
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #747: Jan 28, 2015 11:29:11 am

Mario is not Suarez or Sturridge. Brendan shouldn't  have bought him if he knew he wasn't going to be able to use him effectively.

sorry, but what is Mario's best position to be used effectively, he is a striker, he was played as a main striker, partnered striker, behind the striker on the sides, 
       with all due respect to mario, if  you use him  anywhere and that does not change that he is lazy when he is not on the ball, he simply does not work for the team, and that IMHO damages the style of play the team plays, thats why we were so good last season with suarez because Luis ran his heart out to win the ball back  for the team
       To be honest , I don't know  and understand what triggered our interest in him in the first place, seeing his attitude with inter,city and milan, guess it was  a panic buy after the Remy transfer fiasco

YNWA

We bought him cos at that price he was a risk worth taking. If he worked out he would be a total bargain, and if not then we wouldn't lose too much on him.
      From the FSG moneyball point of view he made perfect sense.

Personally I was relieved when we signed him, cos up til then it looked like we weren't going to sign anybody. Balotelli was at least quality, but there was always a fair chance that he wouldn't work out for one reason or another.

I wouldn't blame Brendan/FSG for taking a chance on him, but the key is that now that it is looking very likely that he is not going to work out for us, we need to go back into the market and get somebody who is a better bet of doing so, particularly with Sturridge's injury issues.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #748: Jan 28, 2015 11:32:37 am
      We bought him cos at that price he was a risk worth taking. If he worked out he would be a total bargain, and if not then we wouldn't lose too much on him.
      From the FSG moneyball point of view he made perfect sense.

Personally I was relieved when we signed him, cos up til then it looked like we weren't going to sign anybody. Balotelli was at least quality, but there was always a fair chance that he wouldn't work out for one reason or another.

I wouldn't blame Brendan/FSG for taking a chance on him, but the key is that now that it is looking very likely that he is not going to work out for us, we need to go back into the market and get somebody who is a better bet of doing so, particularly with Sturridge's injury issues.

It’s true that if it wasn’t for Sturridge’s injuries, Mario’s ineptitude wouldn’t of shown up quite so much, so in that respect he is unlucky... in most other though, hes just useless
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #749: Jan 28, 2015 11:38:20 am

I don't mind players with a bit of niggle - and yes we would love him if he was with us - but when your standing on another players ankle then possibly that is a little bit over the top.  The tussle with Gerrard - no problem at all.  But things that could seriously injure another player's season or worse - probably a bit unnecessary.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #750: Jan 28, 2015 11:47:42 am
      The best we can all hope for is that he goes and we get someone else in to do a better job... at the moment a mere 1 goal-a-season striker would be an improvement

Fixed.  ;)
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #751: Jan 28, 2015 12:21:45 pm
      Thought that first half was excellent. High intensity pressure, decent in possession and we created a few chances. If we'd had manage to get past that collosus Courtois in the first half when we had the chance, it would have been a just reward for the way we played over that 45 minutes. Barring a few brainfarts at the back (which we are always prone to), and the fact we didn't score, it was a very good half from us. Chelsea got back into the game, started pressing us and moving the ball quicker in the second, and it was a much more even contest. Both keepers played well - even Migs came out of his six yard box! - and in the end it comes down to shockingly bad set piece marking to decide the contest.

What is very obvious is that we lack a striker, and with Sturridge's injury record we need another in the summer. Balotelli just isn't going to cut it unfortunately, and Lambert is limited. Having Studge back for the last bit of the season should help. Hope he's eased back in  slowly though.

Thought Can, Lucas, Skrtel and Coutinho were the pick of our bunch. Can made a few errors with the ball but playing 'out of position' he looked very confident in possession and strong in the tackle. Skrtel did well and it's obvious he's a better player as the deepest of the 3 CBs. I saw Lucas saying he's finally feeling more confident in his physicality after the injuries and you could really tell last night, very good performance from him. I'd love to see some gifs of the turns Cou was pulling off, there were a couple of beauties.

All in all, disappointing but a pretty good performance, particularly that first half.

Finally, and least importantly, Costa is a c**t and Mourinho is a bigger c**t for saying the stamps were accidental.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #752: Jan 28, 2015 12:41:08 pm
      Above and beyond and over it all

Migs is back! xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #753: Jan 28, 2015 12:48:23 pm
      I think its 25 goals from 26 spot kicks, which is an impressive recored but take those pens out of his 90 career goals, and its 60 goals in 239 games.... thats pretty average

He has scored free kicks too, so the number of open play goals would come down even more
      Yes JM... that was the inference.  :gt-happyup:
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #754: Jan 28, 2015 12:54:36 pm
      Cannot fault the players for their efforts last night, every player gave 110% but just seems we lacked the legs towards the end and obviously an out an out striker. For me, Sturridge on the pitch we win.

Hats off to Mignolet aswell, kept us in it like Courtois did for them 2 great goalkeeping performances. After all the stick hes been given all season he was on form last night! Only performances I would knock are Markovic, mainly defensively he just kept losing track of the ball and the man, at least if you're going to lose your man go an fight for the ball but was caught out too often. Johnson was a bit of a shambles, admittedly playing out of position and have to wonder why Lovren didn't come on, must show how low the managers confidence in him must be.

Gutted we didn't score at least, I think 1 could have really pushed us on.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #755: Jan 28, 2015 12:56:02 pm
      Very disappointed as the goals were there for us, and we simply did not execute. Gerrard needed to rip into Sterling for that moment in the 1st half, Moreno should have hit his first time, and Hendo needs that at the very least on frame. And Balotelli...the man with possibly the hardest shot in football gets a rollback sitter at the top of the box. Does he put his foot through it? Nope...attempts a curl that ends up in the 20th row. Migs was excellent, so was Skrtel. Hope Sahko is not our forever again. Lucas was very good, obviously tired at the end. Couts, is our best player for a while now. Pure class. Getting a little tired of watching Sterling try to run the show. He needs a Suarez type a** chewing for some of the mental mistakes he is making. And the substitutions...why in the hell is Lallana left on the bench?? He has the energy and skill to get us back into the game in the 2nd half. Was it to accommodate Gerrard? Balotelli? Both?? Whatever the case, it was wrong. Absolutely wrong. And is there a pair you could hate more than Mourhino and Costa? Costa should have been off after 12 minutes, dirty act that was. He knew exactly what he was doing. And since when is a mere, simple foul, worthy of an automatic second yellow card? It's pitiful watching Jose b*itch to the ref after every little contact foul. Their keeper was amazing once again, and Ivanovic was as steady and reliable as ever for them. As much as I hate Chelsea, I actually don't mind him. It will be interesting to see where we go from here...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #756: Jan 28, 2015 01:03:19 pm
      Feel for the players as much as I do for myself after seeing that.

They gave it their all and battled really well. Of course, we came up short in the final third. Had a nagging feeling not getting that second goal at Anfield cost us somewhat, or at least it would have changed the complexion of the tie a bit.

Compelling football that saw us just edged out again.

BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #757: Jan 28, 2015 01:27:30 pm
      Surprised that many on here seem so content merely to have put in a spirited performance, and thatif we had a reliable striker in the team, we would have run riot for sure.

I for one am sick of losing to these plastic c*nts and the boss needs to figure how to get more goals out of this team, Studge or no Studge.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #758: Jan 28, 2015 01:28:48 pm
      ahh, what might have been.

Proud of the lads.

Pissed off at the result.

Quick Reply