Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      39 (36.4%)
      Emre Can
      5 (4.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      11 (10.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.9%)
      Lazar Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.9%)
      Lucas Leiva
      18 (16.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      22 (20.6%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (1.9%)
      Mario Balotelli
      4 (3.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: Jan 31, 2015 10:22:16 pm

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (2-1 agg): In game and Post Match goalhunt

Read 50913 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (2-1 agg): In game and Post Match goalhunt
      Reply #759: Jan 28, 2015 01:31:27 pm
      Its not a consolation,(we are out of the final) but seeing how we played over the 2 legs against the plastics ,who the majority of media are saying they already won the league, ( I really hope not , hope they will be beaten by city for that)
      the  only thing  I was not happy is with the inclusion of 2 strikers , would preferred Lallana  and a striker (any one of them) but that's my opinion
        mourinne is  saying that the stamping of the elephant man on Can and Skrtel were accidental ,  Now lets see if the FA has the balls to charge him  on video evidence , as many times did to suarez and many others, he(costa) already escaped it ,with no charge  a few games back
      what is it with Jamie carragher these days , he seems he is going against his boyhood club all the time .look what he tweted on the costa stamp.................

Jamie Carragher        ✔   @Carra23 
      Follow
      Naughty from Costa but reds be honest Suarez used to do that!!

Have to be positive about our playing method at the moment , its starting to look a bit like last season, and that is good
       we have to continue playing with that mentality especially when our only '' valid'' striker comes back , and goals will come , hope so anyway
        YNWA

His boyhood  club was everton.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #760: Jan 28, 2015 01:38:42 pm
      Yes JM... that was the inference.  :gt-happyup:

Glad to be the winner of the "Stating and explaining the Obvious" award again...  ;D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #761: Jan 28, 2015 01:50:58 pm
      Voted Skrtel MOTM, really got stuck in and gave Costa a real battle, as did Can. Lucas did well, but tired in ET. Cou was really good as usual recently.

Should've gone in ahead at HT. Sterling is doing well, but can dwell on making right pass/choose the wrong option, particularly when he should've slotted SG in for a shot after a break. Cou had good chance, as did Moreno, Courtois saved both.

Thought Chavs had best of 2nd half. And ET. Though Hendo has to score with that header. Can't understand why Lallana was left on the bench, leaving both Lucas and SG on pitch. Mario had some good touches, but shooting again woejus. Lambert had no impact.

We've definately shored up the defense. But in the closer games against the bigger teams, our lack of striking form has, and will continue to hurt us. And no signings in the pipeline :(
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #762: Jan 28, 2015 03:02:25 pm
      We need Sturridge back because not having a goal scorer is costing us!!

Rodgers getting the team or substitutions wrong...Why am I not surprised?

Really thought we were going to snatch the win tonight but the two things listed above proved to cost us once more.

Please tell me your joking, right?

Played them off the park at Anfield and we were very, very unlucky not to win that game. Chelsea didn't have a shot on target and their goal came from a penalty.

Yesterday Chelsea troubled us a little more but we were still the better team and just didn't take our chances on the night, or in the first leg for that matter.  Their goal last night came from a set piece too!  We never looked in any real trouble and we looked like troubling them every time we went forward.

To suggest BR got the team wrong is bollocks though. It was the right team which was proved over two legs.

His substitutions didn't work out last night but f**king hell we need a goal, he brings two strikers on, and he still gets criticism left right and centre.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #763: Jan 28, 2015 03:07:48 pm
      We were certainly the better side in the first leg.

Without being biased I felt we were the better side last night too. I'm gutted not to reach Wembley but they were two very promising performances and we have shown yet again that we are just as good as anyone. We are a Sturridge away from being the best team in the league again - we are literally that close. 

This semi final has F**k all to do with mentality or Chelsea finding a way to win. It came down to us not taking our chances. If Danny was in our team we would have got through to the final I have no doubt about that.

Very proud of the boys last night and I think we have every chance of winning both the FA cup and Europa League this season.

Oh and if Costa doesn't get a lengthy ban for not one but two stamps in the same game then it shows how corrupt the FA are.  If that was Luis then he would be banned for 6 months plus.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #764: Jan 28, 2015 03:13:57 pm
      I think Brendan tends to bottle it in the big games when it come to making big decisions. Bringing Balotelli on for Lazar made absolutely no sense as we needed Lazars pace in the later stages. Balotelli was never going to score in a month of Sundays and even at that he was playing out on the wing for some strange reason. Same goes for Lambert for Moreno. Lambert is fine against the likes of Villa but is in no way good enough to bring on in a big cup game against a top side. I think leave Lazar and Moreno on the pitch and bring on Lallana for Stevie and we at least bring that game to pennos. Poor decision making from Brendan cost us that game.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #765: Jan 28, 2015 03:19:41 pm

Played them off the park at Anfield and we were very, very unlucky not to win that game. Chelsea didn't have a shot on target and their goal came from a penalty.

Yesterday Chelsea troubled us a little more but we were still the better team and just didn't take our chances on the night, or in the first leg for that matter.  Their goal last night came from a set piece too!  We never looked in any real trouble and we looked like troubling them every time we went forward.

To suggest BR got the team wrong is bollocks though. It was the right team which was proved over two legs.

His substitutions didn't work out last night but f**king hell we need a goal, he brings two strikers on, and he still gets criticism left right and centre.

He brings two snail paced strikers on who have less league goals between them this season than the player he leaves on the bench.

So yes it is poor decision making.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #766: Jan 28, 2015 03:26:12 pm
      I think Brendan tends to bottle it in the big games when it come to making big decisions. Bringing Balotelli on for Lazar made absolutely no sense as we needed Lazars pace in the later stages. Balotelli was never going to score in a month of Sundays and even at that he was playing out on the wing for some strange reason. Same goes for Lambert for Moreno. Lambert is fine against the likes of Villa but is in no way good enough to bring on in a big cup game against a top side. I think leave Lazar and Moreno on the pitch and bring on Lallana for Stevie and we at least bring that game to pennos. Poor decision making from Brendan cost us that game.

Balotelli for Markovic was the wrong move. It should have been Lallana coming on for someone.

But to think we could go 120 minutes and leave both strikers on the bench when we're down a goal is a bit silly. And let's not forget that the injury to Sakho was unfortunate as it meant only 2 of our 3 attacking options in Balotelli, Lallana and Lambert would come on.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #767: Jan 28, 2015 03:27:57 pm

Well said 100% right.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #768: Jan 28, 2015 03:54:15 pm
      Balotelli for Markovic was the wrong move. It should have been Lallana coming on for someone.

But to think we could go 120 minutes and leave both strikers on the bench when we're down a goal is a bit silly. And let's not forget that the injury to Sakho was unfortunate as it meant only 2 of our 3 attacking options in Balotelli, Lallana and Lambert would come on.

Granted but as Lallana is a far better attacker in every way than Balotelli and Lambert why were they brought on and not him. In fact id actually fancy Joe Allen to score a goal before Balotelli!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #769: Jan 28, 2015 04:02:41 pm

Starting team 100% right.

Subs 100% wrong. Lovren should have came on for Sakho, Markovic and Moreno should have stayed on the pitch and Lallana should have came on for Gerrard. Lambert should have only come on in extra time and Balotelli shouldn't even be warming the bench.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #770: Jan 28, 2015 05:19:40 pm
      Such a shame Sakho got injured as it completely disrupted us, up to that point Chelsea never looked like scoring. Hell even on set pieces we were comfortable!
      Hope he is back soon.

As others have mentioned BR got the subs wrong last night, even if he wanted to keep Gerrard on the pitch he should have moved him forward instead of bringing on Lambert. No great surprise we got over run in midfield with Gerrard and Lucas.
      Still very proud of the boys, first team this season stopping Chelsea score at home in 90mins.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #771: Jan 28, 2015 05:37:12 pm
      ;D was shocked at the MOTM poll. I was sticking my neck out stating Mignolet after the season hes had and everyone agreed - kept us in it, probably his best game in the shirt. Would have gone for Sakho if he'd stayed on for 90 mins. Completely agree with the comments on here re subs. Johnson on for a Can-Skrtel-Jonhson back 3? WTF?

Ballotelli proved yet again why he should be in the half price discount store. Lambert also going for glory at the end, is not what its about regardless of the limited game time they are getting.
      Will the management please listen that WE NEED SOME F***ing YOUNG PACEY STRIKERS, everyone knew the writing was on the wall when they came on. You can get 2-4-1 in South American academies.

Costa is one dirty f**k, loved Skrtel squaring up. Coutinho just needs to be put in front of a goal for 2 month and not fed until he can score blindfolded. Quality little player, just needs to add scoring to his repertoire. Sterling just lacked the composure, again. Could have squared to Stevie several times for an easy tap in when Courtois was commited.

Overall, cracking game. Unlucky with the result, we should have been in front to begin with. Big improvement in the 2 games compared to where we we're at the start of the season. Baby steps, roll on FA cup replay.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #772: Jan 28, 2015 05:38:48 pm
      Costa stamps 'accidental' - Mourinho
      Costa's stamps in the Chelsea win over Liverpool were ''entirely accidental'' according to their manager.
      He stamped Skrtel and Can and Mourinho responded to Brendan Rodger's claim that Costa was looking directly at both players as he stamped them indicating the action was intentional, Mourinho claimed he was ''looking at the ball''.
      Brendan Rodgers said of the Can incident ''he could have easily hurdled over the lad instead of which he looked down and sunk his studs into him''.
      The FA is waiting on referee Michael Oliver's report to decide if any action is required.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31014422
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #773: Jan 28, 2015 06:40:47 pm

Wow, congratulations on doing a slating post that actually has nothing to do with what you have quoted.

Let's get this started shall we. First of all my post had nothing to do with the first leg although it was the same scenario; we didn't have a finisher...are you questioning it or just trying to find fault? seeing as you agreed we didn't take our chances again...

Second of all, I didn't say we played badly in the second leg; I said we didn't have a finisher once again which again you have agreed with, and then you try slating my post whilst practically agreeing with me again at the same time by admitting we got the substitutions wrong...

Also I didn't say he got the team wrong; I said about team/substitutions being wrong like which one or the other has been wrong in a fair few occasions this season. This game it happened to be the substitutions.

So please, find and highlight where I said our performance wasn't good and that the team was wrong because if I thought either of those I wouldn't have sugar coated it, I'd have just come out and said how I thought we were sh*te and he got the line up wrong.

So please, come down off your high horse or at least not agree with what I am saying when you are trying to slate my post.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #774: Jan 28, 2015 06:56:31 pm
      Wow, congratulations on doing a slating post that actually has nothing to do with what you have quoted.

Let's get this started shall we. First of all my post had nothing to do with the first leg although it was the same scenario; we didn't have a finisher...are you questioning it or just trying to find fault? seeing as you agreed we didn't take our chances again...

Second of all, I didn't say we played badly in the second leg; I said we didn't have a finisher once again which again you have agreed with, and then you try slating my post whilst practically agreeing with me again at the same time by admitting we got the substitutions wrong...

Also I didn't say he got the team wrong; I said about team/substitutions being wrong like which one or the other has been wrong in a fair few occasions this season. This game it happened to be the substitutions.

So please, find and highlight where I said our performance wasn't good and that the team was wrong because if I thought either of those I wouldn't have sugar coated it, I'd have just come out and said how I thought we were sh*te and he got the line up wrong.

So please, come down off your high horse or at least not agree with what I am saying when you are trying to slate my post.

:lmao:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #775: Jan 28, 2015 06:58:08 pm

The reaction of someone who still hasn't actually found any fault in what I actually said. Congratulations on the well constructed reply.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #776: Jan 28, 2015 07:33:04 pm
      Lallana should have come on for Gerrard end of . Lucas was absolutely blowing and got moved to the right of a diamond ? Surely someone who can cross to 2 target men should have been there. We have two wing backs who cant cross , moreno is so overated its untrue. Great effort over two legs though Lucas immense until he ran out gas
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #777: Jan 28, 2015 07:53:51 pm
      Can't accept anyone saying 'if we had Sturridge', well we didn't and we don't play in ifs and buts.

We played two games against this lot created at least 5 clear cut chances and couldn't take them. That's a problem and in case anyone forgets, scoring goals is what wins games, not 'we created more than them'.

Secondly, defensive mistakes saw us concede in both games, and last nights goal was a disgrace defensively.  Again, that's a problem.

Can't accept anyone saying we played well, when we struggle with the most important areas of the game, i.e scoring goals and defending.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #778: Jan 28, 2015 09:38:54 pm
      The reaction of someone who still hasn't actually found any fault in what I actually said. Congratulations on the well constructed reply.

Sorry, I was just laughing at you getting your knickers in a twist.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #779: Jan 28, 2015 09:44:58 pm
      Can't accept anyone saying 'if we had Sturridge', well we didn't and we don't play in ifs and buts.

We played two games against this lot created at least 5 clear cut chances and couldn't take them. That's a problem and in case anyone forgets, scoring goals is what wins games, not 'we created more than them'.

Secondly, defensive mistakes saw us concede in both games, and last nights goal was a disgrace defensively.  Again, that's a problem.

Can't accept anyone saying we played well, when we struggle with the most important areas of the game, i.e scoring goals and defending.

That is football. You can batter a team for ninety minutes but not put the ball in the net.

Are you genuinely concerned for our future after those two games? Because I'm F***ing not. It was very promising to say the least.

Outplayed probably the champions to be both home and away.

Yes we lack quality in the final third and we all know we need to bring a striker in but had a fit sturridge played in either game we would be at Wembley now. So we aren't very far away from competing with the best at all.

Oh, and we defended well for two legs too so I don't know what on earth your on about. Chelsea gave very little threat and we controlled them well. It was refreshing to watch us defend so well actually.

Two fouls, a penalty and a free kick later and we are out the cup. Overall though, very good performances from the Reds.

Amazes me how you can criticise us. I can accept losing a game of football if our team gives 100% but we are just unlucky on the day. And that's what's happened.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #780: Jan 28, 2015 10:22:34 pm
      Sorry, I was just laughing at you getting your knickers in a twist.

Clearly. Another well constructed reply.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #781: Jan 28, 2015 10:25:54 pm
      All the talk about Balo fitting in nicely with fudge. Who are the two getting dropped from he starting 11 to accommodate both of them ?
      Massively unbalanced team again methinks .

Quick Reply