Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      39 (36.4%)
      Emre Can
      5 (4.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      11 (10.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.9%)
      Lazar Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.9%)
      Lucas Leiva
      18 (16.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      22 (20.6%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (1.9%)
      Mario Balotelli
      4 (3.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: Jan 31, 2015 10:22:16 pm

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (2-1 agg): In game and Post Match goalhunt

Read 50991 times
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (2-1 agg): In game and Post Match goalhunt
      Reply #713: Jan 28, 2015 01:41:25 am
      Like a lion with no teeth tonight. Luckily the arrival of Daniel 'The teeth' Sturridge is getting ever closer.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,752 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #714: Jan 28, 2015 01:54:58 am
      From what I read today, Bendan didn't bring Lallana on, but bought on Rickie and Mario as subs????
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #715: Jan 28, 2015 03:06:52 am
      If anyone thinks we do not need to sign a striker/s in this transfer window then this Chelsea match should convince them otherwise. Get Balotelli and Lambert off  the payroll and spend the cash plus some on decent replacements. I thought Mignolet played well today, credit were credit is due after the roasting he was getting not so long ago.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,564 posts | 729 
      Reply #716: Jan 28, 2015 03:34:27 am
      Looking at the highlights again.

We didn't finish our chances (AND WE HAD THEM) END OF
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #717: Jan 28, 2015 03:52:44 am
      F***ing gutted.

Felt a little like a good old CL tie back in the day.

We were toothless should have taken our chances to top of a gritty performance.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #718: Jan 28, 2015 04:21:32 am
      How long is Sakho out for? Hope its not serious.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #719: Jan 28, 2015 06:10:00 am
      This match went pretty much the way i expected. We couldnt score vs bolton.... we were not going to put much behind chelsea if any at all.  So all maureen has to do is wait it out till .chelsea somehow pops in a goal... and they did

Its pitiful.  Our going forward game is shockingly poor and reminds me of a headless chicken running at all directions.  We have no natural goal scorers on the pitch today.  Sterling is not a natural goal scorer.. he is Γ  link up player.. a ball rusher.. but ultimately he needs to put that ball to someone that can finish.. ala suarez and sturridge.

Games like this is frustrating and these games are the ones we will look back and wonder what if.  Br got out gamed again by maureen.  Maureen knows how br will prepare but br doesnt give a sh*t about how maureen prepares his squad.  What you see is a frustrating yet perfect example of a maureen match where everything is calculated to maximize chance of desired result.

Not all is lost tho.  I am really starting to enjoy watching emre can.  This lad has talent
      liamos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #720: Jan 28, 2015 07:21:20 am
      We narrowly lost (but were not beaten) over 2 legs to the team which will probably win the EPL this season.  I think we can take a lot from our two performances. FA Cup to look forward to!  We need one striker at least.  Its almost certain Johnson, Balotelli and Borini will leave at the end of the season. 
      No team wanting to make progress can afford to retain them.

How do you mean we narrowly lost but were not beaten?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #721: Jan 28, 2015 07:51:50 am
      How do you mean we narrowly lost but were not beaten?

It's not as daft as it sounds, even though I wouldn't go for that line myself. Over the two legs the score was 1-1. In extra half an hour (which was played at their ground) they won 1-0. My guess is that if the extra time had come at the end of the Anfield leg there would have only been one winner, but thems the breaks.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #722: Jan 28, 2015 09:04:56 am
      Its not a consolation,(we are out of the final) but seeing how we played over the 2 legs against the plastics ,who the majority of media are saying they already won the league, ( I really hope not , hope they will be beaten by city for that)
      the  only thing  I was not happy is with the inclusion of 2 strikers , would preferred Lallana  and a striker (any one of them) but that's my opinion
        mourinne is  saying that the stamping of the elephant man on Can and Skrtel were accidental ,  Now lets see if the FA has the balls to charge him  on video evidence , as many times did to suarez and many others, he(costa) already escaped it ,with no charge  a few games back
      what is it with Jamie carragher these days , he seems he is going against his boyhood club all the time .look what he tweted on the costa stamp.................

Jamie Carragher        βœ”   @Carra23 
      Follow
      Naughty from Costa but reds be honest Suarez used to do that!!

Have to be positive about our playing method at the moment , its starting to look a bit like last season, and that is good
       we have to continue playing with that mentality especially when our only '' valid'' striker comes back , and goals will come , hope so anyway
        YNWA
      LFCexiled
      Reply #723: Jan 28, 2015 09:42:15 am
      Gave my man of the match the same way I'd give theirs, Migs.

I'd also give a special award to costa, broken F***ing legs. I guess that's how a lot of people used to feel about Luis.

Disappointed to not seeing us in a final BUT given the effort the lads put in and the fact that we IMHO were the better team for numerous reasons my disappointment is at a minimum.

One negative that I have to throw in, Balotelli does not add to us, he enters the field and we are diminished tactically. I'd rather have seen Borini running his heart out. I wanted it to work out for the lad but I just can't see it, it MAY begin to click into place when Studge gets back and I hope it does but if it doesn't we're potentially wasting a lot of playing/scoring time finding out.

Alternatively they could click like F**k and become a force, I think I'll stick with that thought for now.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #724: Jan 28, 2015 09:49:39 am
      Its not a consolation,(we are out of the final) but seeing how we played over the 2 legs against the plastics ,who the majority of media are saying they already won the league, ( I really hope not , hope they will be beaten by city for that)
      the  only thing  I was not happy is with the inclusion of 2 strikers , would preferred Lallana  and a striker (any one of them) but that's my opinion
        mourinne is  saying that the stamping of the elephant man on Can and Skrtel were accidental ,  Now lets see if the FA has the balls to charge him  on video evidence , as many times did to suarez and many others, he(costa) already escaped it ,with no charge  a few games back
      what is it with Jamie carragher these days , he seems he is going against his boyhood club all the time .look what he tweted on the costa stamp.................

Jamie Carragher        βœ”   @Carra23 
      Follow
      Naughty from Costa but reds be honest Suarez used to do that!!

Have to be positive about our playing method at the moment , its starting to look a bit like last season, and that is good
       we have to continue playing with that mentality especially when our only '' valid'' striker comes back , and goals will come , hope so anyway
        YNWA

TBF Suarez was a nasty f**ker... but he was our f**ker!

However, he did what he did, but he nearly always got charged... thats the differnce! Costa wont get a thing
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #725: Jan 28, 2015 09:52:26 am
      Gave my man of the match the same way I'd give theirs, Migs.

I'd also give a special award to costa, broken f**king legs. I guess that's how a lot of people used to feel about Luis.

Disappointed to not seeing us in a final BUT given the effort the lads put in and the fact that we IMHO were the better team for numerous reasons my disappointment is at a minimum.

One negative that I have to throw in, Balotelli does not add to us, he enters the field and we are diminished tactically. I'd rather have seen Borini running his heart out. I wanted it to work out for the lad but I just can't see it, it MAY begin to click into place when Studge gets back and I hope it does but if it doesn't we're potentially wasting a lot of playing/scoring time finding out.

Alternatively they could click like f**k and become a force, I think I'll stick with that thought for now.

This is a side issue to the game and Mario isnt directly to blame for the loss but it’s to pick upon a point

Balotelli adds frustration and anger... I hope with every fibre of my being he is back in Italy wearing a different club shirt this time next week...
      LFCexiled
      Reply #726: Jan 28, 2015 10:02:37 am
      Balotelli adds frustration and anger... I hope with every fibre of my being he is back in Italy wearing a different club shirt this time next week...

I can't see that happening to be honest mate, hence my hope that he clicks with Studge on his return. It's a distant possibility that he'll pop off before the 2nd of Feb and a world class striker will come in his place but realistically I can't see either happening for a couple of reasons.

1, If anyone wanted Balotelli they'd wait till the death and offer us a bare minimum.

2, Finding a world class striker mid season with the lack of the apparently essential champions league football is akin to finding excrement laid down by a wooden equine.

One thing I've learnt over the years though, everything is possible.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #727: Jan 28, 2015 10:07:30 am
      I can't see that happening to be honest mate, hence my hope that he clicks with Studge on his return. It's a distant possibility that he'll pop off before the 2nd of Feb and a world class striker will come in his place but realistically I can't see either happening for a couple of reasons.

1, If anyone wanted Balotelli they'd wait till the death and offer us a bare minimum.

2, Finding a world class striker mid season with the lack of the apparently essential champions league football is akin to finding excrement laid down by a wooden equine.

One thing I've learnt over the years though, everything is possible.

I'm reading bits online and i think this will/might happen... I think they'd take Β£8m-Β£10m for the joke

as for getting some quality in.... I wont be keeping in my inhalation  ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #728: Jan 28, 2015 10:11:39 am
      I've got no problem with what Costa did, seriously, It's the players job to push the boundaries to the absolute limit, to use whatever means they can get away with in order to win. Suarez used to do it for us and I loved him for it, Costa does it for them.

If though the referee doesn't see it (and he didn't last night) but the TV cameras do, in modern football you (rightly) get punished retrospectively. Anything less than 3 games will leave the FA looking even more of a laughing stock than they already do. It won't help us any, but it'll be justice of a sort at least. 
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #729: Jan 28, 2015 10:19:38 am
      Years                  Team                   Apps†   (Gls)†
      2006–2007   Lumezzane                 2           (0)
      2007–2010   Internazionale            59           (20)
      2010–2013   Manchester City          54           (20)
      2013–2014   Milan                            43           (26)
      2014–           Liverpool.                     13.             (0)

Posted above are Balotelli's game stats.

So what we have is a very good striker that has been made to look very poor. He's averaged about 22 goals every season and suddenly he's a poor striker at Liverpool FC.

You can't blame the player when the manager is not using him effectively. Brendan has a style of play he wants and for some reason, he is unable to change that style of play.

Mario is not Suarez or Sturridge. Brendan shouldn't  have bought him if he knew he wasn't going to be able to use him effectively.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2015 10:33:14 am by solodee »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #730: Jan 28, 2015 10:29:35 am
      Costa is an Embarrassed Honestly. Should of been off tonight. In first leg he was at it aswell. With Markovic last week. Can Gerrard skrtel tonight! 

Am disappointed. We played good football tonight unlucky not to score we created chances Sterling first half could of cut it into Stevie., Hendos header second half. We played well wasn't to be.

Ynwa.

The fact that the cheating b***ard/shithouse Costa wasn't carded for diving etc set the pattern for the whole game.
      From the outset the cheating cu*ts set their stall out with their c**t of a manager leading by example, he was on the touchline carrying on like a F***ing washer-woman.
      There wasn't one of them who did not stick to that cheats game plan and Chelski showed why they are despised for their cuntish tactics.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #731: Jan 28, 2015 10:30:41 am
      2006–2007   Lumezzane                 2           (0)
      2014–           Liverpool.                     13.             (0)

So what we have is a very good striker that has been made to look very poor. He's averaged about 22 goals every season and suddenly he's a poor striker at Liverpool FC.

You can't blame the player when the manager is not using him effectively. Brendan has a style of play he wants and for some reason, he is unable to change that style of play.

Mario is not Suarez or Sturridge. He should have bought him if he kne he wasn't going to be able to use him effectively.

Seemed to be an error in your post... Ive just ameneded that for you
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #732: Jan 28, 2015 10:30:46 am
      It was always going to be tough with the 2nd leg at Stamford Bridge. We tend to lose the two legged games against Chelsea when the 2nd leg is in their place.

Top 4 is still the main aim this season anyway. The FA Cup is also possible with City and Chelsea out. We're playing much better now so we can push hard for top 4 and if we get that the team and manager will have learned a lot from this season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #733: Jan 28, 2015 10:36:21 am
      2006–2007   Lumezzane                2           (0)
      2014–           Liverpool.                    15.           (0)

Mario is not Suarez or Sturridge. He should have bought him if he kne he wasn't going to be able to use him effectively.

Balotelli should have never been bought because we needed a striker with similar attributes to Suarez and Sturridge. Pace, movement, guile, intelligence, hard working... Balotelli has never possessed any of these qualities and never will. He scored goals at City because he was playing alongside Aguero one of the best strikers on the planet. He did well in Italy only because it is a poor league played at a snails pace.

So no it's not Balotellis fault he is utter garbage for us. It is the committees fault for buying him in the first place and Rodgers fault for not demanding he is sold and a suitable striker brought in.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #734: Jan 28, 2015 10:38:56 am
      Seemed to be an error in your post... Ive just ameneded that for you

You're just taking a piss. Really.

Like Jay Z said "Men lie, women lie, the numbers don't"

If you have any rebuttal to the Balotelli stats, I'm ready to listen and learn.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #735: Jan 28, 2015 10:44:53 am
      Balotelli should have never been bought because we needed a striker with similar attributes to Suarez and Sturridge. Pace, movement, guile, intelligence, hard working... Balotelli has never possessed any of these qualities and never will. He scored goals at City because he was playing alongside Aguero one of the best strikers on the planet. He did well in Italy only because it is a poor league played at a snails pace.

I beg to differ on some of your observations. Balotelli's got brilliant touches, game intelligence and darn good dribbler.

Build the team around him and see the difference. Suarez wasn't all that in his first season at Anfield. Gerrard out scored him by over 7 goals. But once the team worked around him, he blossomed. Torres too.

Quick Reply