Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Racism in the Premier League

Read 36891 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Racism in the Premier League
      Reply #23: Mar 24, 2015 08:15:57 pm
      In stoppage time at the end of the first half, around 46:40, Sakho gets the ball and is dallying around with it, not quite sure what to do.  Then you can hear one of our supporters clear as day yell out "pass it, coon!"

oh but it's only other clubs that have racist supporters, right? 

This is what I was saying when that Chelsea fans in the tube story happened.  We will never get racism out of football if every club says "oh it's only other clubs that have racist supporters."

there are racist supporters at every club.  Best way to deal with it is for each club to clean its own house instead of pointing the finger at other clubs.

You are a Chelsea fan so why do you stalk these pages? You've admitted that the only Liverpool game you've seen is at Stamford Bridge, no doubt because you've got a season ticket there. Quite why no one else has woken up to your Chavved up nature on this forum is beyond me. All the clues have been there.

You're a terrible terrible troll. You really are. Begone you rent boy supporting, flag waving loon!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #24: Mar 24, 2015 10:11:33 pm
      Not to throw a firecracker into the mix but I was listening to City Talk this morning and Neil Atkinson (The Anfield Wrap) inferred to racism at Anfield and he was talking about the match on Sunday.

He and Jay McKenna, I think it was, also skirted around this on one of the latest podcasts after the game as well.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #25: Mar 25, 2015 12:56:11 pm
      He and Jay McKenna, I think it was, also skirted around this on one of the latest podcasts after the game as well.

I don't get why everyone gets so offended when someone parps up with a racist comment. We have a huge society with everyone getting told what to do and say all the F***ing time so it's completely natural in a volatile situation for the worst to come out of people and for them to rail against those that say don't.

Racism, homophobia etc have been around for millennia and everyone clasps their hands to their mouths when someone dares an utterance that doesn't fit into today's societies values.

Changing attitudes doesn't take weeks it takes generations. I'm doing my bit with my girls and the more that do the faster it'll happen, at least have the patience to let it happen.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #26: Mar 25, 2015 01:28:34 pm
      I don't get why everyone gets so offended when someone parps up with a racist comment. We have a huge society with everyone getting told what to do and say all the F***ing time so it's completely natural in a volatile situation for the worst to come out of people and for them to rail against those that say don't.

Racism, homophobia etc have been around for millennia and everyone clasps their hands to their mouths when someone dares an utterance that doesn't fit into today's societies values.

Changing attitudes doesn't take weeks it takes generations. I'm doing my bit with my girls and the more that do the faster it'll happen, at least have the patience to let it happen.

Also a huge difference between a heat of the moment racist comment and being racist.  If I called someone a black c**t, I wouldn't be being racist, the insult is the c**t part, much like I called a mate of mine a slaphead c**t the other night, during an argument.  Same goes for big nose, ginger, fat, skinny, big ears etc.  Huge difference between calling some a c**t because he's black or calling someone black a c**t and whilst we continue along the lines of not being able to mention creed and colour, we'll have race issues.  I'm not saying racism is right, it's abhorrent, just that sometimes, a comment deemed as racist, isn't.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #27: Mar 25, 2015 01:48:38 pm
      Also a huge difference between a heat of the moment racist comment and being racist.  If I called someone a black c**t, I wouldn't be being racist, the insult is the c**t part, much like I called a mate of mine a slaphead c**t the other night, during an argument.  Same goes for big nose, ginger, fat, skinny, big ears etc.  Huge difference between calling some a c**t because he's black or calling someone black a c**t and whilst we continue along the lines of not being able to mention creed and colour, we'll have race issues.  I'm not saying racism is right, it's abhorrent, just that sometimes, a comment deemed as racist, isn't.

So, was the bloke behind me in the pub racist when he (repeatedly) called Balotelli a "F***ing useless monkey".?
      Because if he wasn't I probably shouldn't have had a pop at him  :laugh:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #28: Mar 25, 2015 02:42:02 pm
      So, was the bloke behind me in the pub racist when he (repeatedly) called Balotelli a "F***ing useless monkey".?
      Because if he wasn't I probably shouldn't have had a pop at him  :laugh:

Didn't think I'd need to explain this to you, Swab, Monkey is a racist slur, black isn't, apart from chimp & monkey I went to school with, both white, but could have been extras in The Planet Of The Apes without make up.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29: Mar 25, 2015 03:22:33 pm
      Didn't think I'd need to explain this to you, Swab, Monkey is a racist slur, black isn't, apart from chimp & monkey I went to school with, both white, but could have been extras in The Planet Of The Apes without make up.

I was being facetious mate.
      On a more serious note, the bloke did a runner after someone told him to shut up or get filled in (not me), but I was surprised he thought he could get away with it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: Mar 25, 2015 04:39:20 pm
      I was being facetious mate.
      On a more serious note, the bloke did a runner after someone told him to shut up or get filled in (not me), but I was surprised he thought he could get away with it.

We need to invent facetious & sarcastic smilies.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Mar 26, 2015 05:34:26 pm
      Racism in football? I blame the Black Irish Muslims!  :f_whistle:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Mar 26, 2015 09:37:24 pm
      Where's that shameless Chelsea fan federer? Gone quiet has he...
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #33: Mar 27, 2015 05:10:07 am
      You are a Chelsea fan so why do you stalk these pages?  You're a terrible terrible troll. You really are. Begone you rent boy supporting, flag waving loon!

you're a bit of an odd one aren't you.  Why does it bother you so much that some people might, just might, not think exactly the way you do?  yes, it's true, I don't rate all of our players.  Yes, it's true, I don't like Rodgers---I don't like how he treated Pepe and Agger, I don't like how he throws players under the bus etc etc.  It is what it is.  But you think unless someone is a carbon copy of you, they must be given labels and called "trolls" etc.  it's a very limited way of approaching the world.  You can disagree with me on issues, but I don't see why you feel the need to ostracize people so aggressively just because they have a different viewpoint from you.

As I have said before, I grew up in Kent without a lot of money, and with a father who had a disability.  That meant that going to the football was a very rare event full stop, let alone being able to go up to Merseyside just to see a match.  Now that I'm an adult I've been based abroad for several years now, first in Mexico then in the States, so I have even less access to our games.  The last time I was in London and able to see one of our games, it was at Chelsea.   and I went.  And from that, you somehow come to the conclusion that I am a Chelsea supporter?  that's quite a big leap!

you should go read Edward Said's "Orientalism," it's a seminal work and you in fact are a perfect example of one of the archetypes Said talks about in creating and referring to the "Other."
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #34: Mar 27, 2015 05:28:42 am
      1 - You have posted no evidence, do so and then you may get a reaction as...
      The assertion without a 100% credible back up is worse than disgraceful.
      Eh?  why do you act as if I am the sole owner of the "evidence"?  do you not record our games?  you could easily go back and watch the moment again.  If you don't record them, there are similar options---i.e., you are on this forum; that means you have internet access.  If you have internet access, all you have to do is Google "Liverpool/Manchester United full match" and you would have plenty of options to watch the match again, immediately.  I even did the hard work for you of pointing out the exact time when it happens, around 46:40 in the first half.  The evidence is about two clicks away from you.

But, apparently it's much easier to write a post than just do a quick Google search, and you refuse to look for yourself, so I went ahead and came up with the video.

Here it is.  Around 46:40 Coutinho gives the ball to Sakho.  He dallies around, there's no pass on, and at 46:45 you clearly hear "pass it, coon!"   The video---

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kqg5i_race_news

Google Drive option also here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4DEaeW2IzMgX2E0Q0tkRUd5NXc/view?pli=1
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #35: Mar 27, 2015 07:18:31 am
      Not clear to me at all, could have been pass it you or more likely pass it Cou ie pass it to Coutinho.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #36: Mar 27, 2015 07:31:19 am
      Not clear to me at all, could have been pass it you or more likely pass it Cou ie pass it to Coutinho.

riiiiight....  I'm sure that's exactly what it was.... "pass it Cou..."

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #37: Mar 27, 2015 07:49:22 am
      riiiiight....  I'm sure that's exactly what it was.... "pass it Cou..."

I assume like me your not an audiology expert in which case my assumption is just as likely as yours.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #38: Mar 27, 2015 07:56:25 am
      I assume like me your not an audiology expert in which case my assumption is just as likely as yours.

Sorry but no.  You don't need to be an expert to know what is being said.  "Pass it coon" is clear as day.  Had he said "Pass it (to) Cou(tinho)", maybe that would have made sense, at a stretch. 

On top of that the way he yells suggests he is annoyed, understandably since we were down and the mancs were controlling the game.  Sakho was also doing nothing and looking like a deer in the headlights.  Oh and there's the small fact that Sakho happens to be black.   Oh and as previously mentioned in the thread there were racist comments made by our supporters during the match as well.  as if it weren't clear enough from the audio, the comment checks off all the contextual boxes.  Do I really need to spell this out?

anyway, this is all so ridiculous.  "Their racists are terrible! but ours?  oh he probably meant to say something else..."

we need to just work on getting stuff like this out.  full stop.  we clean up our club, everyone else cleans up their own club, and that's the way.  When we all point fingers at each other and say "we don't have any racists, but you do!"---nothing gets done. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #39: Mar 27, 2015 09:25:23 am
      Eh?  why do you act as if I am the sole owner of the "evidence"?  do you not record our games?  you could easily go back and watch the moment again.  If you don't record them, there are similar options---i.e., you are on this forum; that means you have internet access.  If you have internet access, all you have to do is Google "Liverpool/Manchester United full match" and you would have plenty of options to watch the match again, immediately.  I even did the hard work for you of pointing out the exact time when it happens, around 46:40 in the first half.  The evidence is about two clicks away from you.

But, apparently it's much easier to write a post than just do a quick Google search, and you refuse to look for yourself, so I went ahead and came up with the video.

Here it is.  Around 46:40 Coutinho gives the ball to Sakho.  He dallies around, there's no pass on, and at 46:45 you clearly hear "pass it, coon!"   The video---

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kqg5i_race_news

Google Drive option also here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4DEaeW2IzMgX2E0Q0tkRUd5NXc/view?pli=1

What exactly are you waffling about?
      I asked for evidence one way or the other and made reference to your penchant for using personal comment.
      You provide a link and cannot help but add comment completely without context.
      Too much time on your hands lad.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #40: Mar 27, 2015 11:00:29 am
      how does federer have 237 upvotes? what the hell? surely they're requests for him to be banned?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #41: Mar 27, 2015 11:04:00 am
      how does federer have 237 upvotes? what the hell? surely they're requests for him to be banned?

He does post a few pearls of wisdom from time to time among the other nonsense.

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #42: Mar 27, 2015 11:13:33 am
      Just watched the video clip, make of it what you will? ( coon? ) I thought he shouted pass it through!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #43: Mar 27, 2015 12:01:02 pm
      All this over some audio that sounds different depending on the listener?

This honky's outta here.

:f_run:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #44: Mar 27, 2015 12:56:25 pm
      Eh?  why do you act as if I am the sole owner of the "evidence"?

You posted the accusation ya muppet, therefore it's your job to supply the evidence.  Having listened, I know Brummies drop aitches from the beginning of words, was unaware of Scousers dropping n's from the end of words.  It's inconclusive at best, especially as the scouse accent has a predilection for pronouncing the last syllable of a word harder, especially when preceded by a double vowel.  After several listens, I'm still hearing a couple of things though, it's either pass (it) 't t' (to) Cou or pass it through.  Got a Chelsea fan here to listen to it to, he thought it was pass it through first time, still thinks it is after another listen, when I asked if he thought it could be coon, he just went 'F**k no'.

Not saying we don't have racist fans, just saying, on this evidence, you've failed to make your point.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #45: Mar 27, 2015 12:57:26 pm
      In stoppage time at the end of the first half, around 46:40, Sakho gets the ball and is dallying around with it, not quite sure what to do.  Then you can hear one of our supporters clear as day yell out "pass it, coon!"

oh but it's only other clubs that have racist supporters, right? 

This is what I was saying when that Chelsea fans in the tube story happened.  We will never get racism out of football if every club says "oh it's only other clubs that have racist supporters."

there are racist supporters at every club.  Best way to deal with it is for each club to clean its own house instead of pointing the finger at other clubs.

Not even close to what the problem was in the 80s, mass chanting, NF calling-cards, NF trying to recruit from the terraces.

Personally don't think the supposed 'problem' is anywhere near as bad as what it was. And if what we're down to is individual shouts, then I think we're doing very well as a sport.

Quick Reply