Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Racism in the Premier League

Read 36896 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Racism in the Premier League
      Reply #69: Apr 01, 2016 04:42:29 am
      If you can ave racism towards someone who comes from 15 miles away then someone who comes from a hundred or thousand miles away can be subject to racism too, it's life.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #70: Jan 09, 2018 04:57:25 pm
      Peter Beardsley in a spot of bother,http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42627051.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #71: Dec 10, 2018 04:58:55 pm
      Guess i'll bump this,https://www.nbcsports.com/video/premier-league-soccer-world-has-regressed-how-it-deals-racism.Sterling right on this,still think he's a tw*t.Bit of hypocrisy from nbc sports in regards of their continued use of the backpage headline sh*te from prem league insider and sun dude neil ashton.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #72: Dec 10, 2018 05:40:02 pm
      I tried to speak out against racism recently and got a load of flack for it. I've seen Origi compared to Hesky, Gini compared to Veirra, Mbappe compared to Henry, Sterling compared to Pele and Ibe compared with Sterling. If racism was dealt with on a fundamental level it wouldn't grow to what happened at Chelsea v City.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2018 05:46:23 pm by Ribapuru »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #73: Dec 10, 2018 06:59:42 pm
      I tried to speak out against racism recently and got a load of flack for it. I've seen Origi compared to Hesky, Gini compared to Veirra, Mbappe compared to Henry, Sterling compared to Pele and Ibe compared with Sterling. If racism was dealt with on a fundamental level it wouldn't grow to what happened at Chelsea v City.

Totally get what you are saying and understand why you could see that as racism, and maybe you have a point that kicking out the lower levels (no matter how little to nothing they are) could stop the growth in actual racism for us and our future generations, but for me, it is more about the intent than some player comparison of the same skin type, stereotyping or joke.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #74: Dec 10, 2018 07:24:22 pm
      Totally get what you are saying and understand why you could see that as racism, and maybe you have a point that kicking out the lower levels (no matter how little to nothing they are) could stop the growth in actual racism for us and our future generations, but for me, it is more about the intent than some player comparison of the same skin type, stereotyping or joke.
      i understand that, but it's important not to plant subconscious mindsets that point towards differences between humans. I'm probably thinking outside the box, but our subconscious is 95% of brain activity and conscious is a mere representation. There's much bigger problems out there but it seems like mankind is forever trimming branches instead of pulling roots.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #75: Dec 10, 2018 07:30:19 pm
      Football has  done more than it’s fair share in tackling racism in the game & stands..from grassroots to professional...

Society needs looking at itself, It’s obvious events in politics rear their ugly heads in the stands..the media needs looking at itself how it protrays black/ethnic footballers compared to white footballers..

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #76: Dec 10, 2018 07:51:40 pm
      i understand that, but it's important not to plant subconscious mindsets that point towards differences between humans. I'm probably thinking outside the box, but our subconscious is 95% of brain activity and conscious is a mere representation. There's much bigger problems out there but it seems like mankind is forever trimming branches instead of pulling roots.

I think we may be heading down that road to an extent due to SJW's. People are being more careful in what they say and how they judge people, with mainstream media taking a more indirect approach imo.

Whilst I do not agree with the SJW's methods of harrassment/bullying, intimidation and aggressive/violent behaviour, and feel it is wrong, I do also see their filtering out racisim/bigotry/misogyny mindset POV and how they want a better society long term, but we'll only know if they are successful or not in 20-30 years time imo.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2018 07:58:40 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #77: Dec 10, 2018 08:07:02 pm
      I think we may be heading down that road to an extent due to SJW's. People are being more careful in what they say and how they judge people, with mainstream media taking a more indirect approach imo.

Whilst I do not agree with the SJW's methods of harrassment/bullying, intimidation and aggressive/violent behaviour, and feel it is wrong, I do also see their filtering out racisim/bigotry/misogyny mindset POV and how they want a better society long term, but we'll only know if they are successful or not in 20-30 years time imo.
      I agree. Something that also gets overlooked is in some foreign cultures racism is allowed, foreigners have to pay extra money for the same items a home national would pay in some circumstances and insults cannot be prosecuted there. We're multicultural so we accept them into our society, they have children here who have their parents ways from a country with no laws against racism... it needs to be a bigger effort than just UK media.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #78: Dec 10, 2018 08:56:18 pm

Nope.You saw something that wasn't there and changed the narrative of the thread to be about you,just like you're trying to do with this thread. racist tw*ts in the premier league.
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46504433 John Barnes.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: Dec 10, 2018 09:14:36 pm

Nope.You saw something that wasn't there and changed the narrative of the thread to be about you,just like you're trying to do with this thread. racist tw*ts in the premier league.
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46504433 John Barnes.
      how could anyone possibly compare Emile and Divok both same height and weight (when Emile played) both centre forwards both not the most prolific of goal scorers . SO do we have to accept we cannot compare footballers if they happen to have the same skin colour.
      Like you said trying to stir is all this poster is good for.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #80: Dec 10, 2018 09:39:48 pm
      If more people had the balls to speak out against the English media we could get somewhere. Fair play to Raheem Sterling.

Great from Neville and Carra on Monday Night Football, tonight:

https://youtu.be/YF3jTYjXEe8

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #81: Dec 10, 2018 11:11:49 pm
      how could anyone possibly compare Emile and Divok both same height and weight (when Emile played) both centre forwards both not the most prolific of goal scorers . SO do we have to accept we cannot compare footballers if they happen to have the same skin colour.
      Like you said trying to stir is all this poster is good for.
      Hesky and Origi aren't the same weight or height, now you are making things up.  Why not compare Origi to Milan Baros etc...? Honestly, denying it and sweeping it under the carpet is real sh*ty.  What next? Will people be saying Son Heung-min reminds them off Honda? Get a grip! If an African origin person makes a speech in your work place, will you say they remind you of Martin Luther King? If so, expect P45 the following day. It's the acceptance of this cr*p that allowed papers to get away with it.

If people keep comparing because of ethnicity this kind of thing happens.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/20/lord-sugar-under-fire-over-racist-senegal-world-cup-team-tweet

Comparing based on race is racist.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2018 11:29:47 pm by Ribapuru »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #82: Dec 11, 2018 07:00:35 am
      Hesky and Origi aren't the same weight or height, now you are making things up.  Why not compare Origi to Milan Baros etc...? Honestly, denying it and sweeping it under the carpet is real sh*ty.  What next? Will people be saying Son Heung-min reminds them off Honda? Get a grip! If an African origin person makes a speech in your work place, will you say they remind you of Martin Luther King? If so, expect P45 the following day. It's the acceptance of this cr*p that allowed papers to get away with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/20/lord-sugar-under-fire-over-racist-senegal-world-cup-team-tweet

If you think that tweet and comparing Heskey to Origi is the same thing then you genuinely need help.

Not to mention the Henry and Mbappe comparisons you also sight as racist, what a speedy French star who likes to drift wide and slot home finishes with a side foot to the corner. Sure Mbappe has more power to his game but it seems a fair comparison.

You then go on to just fabricate some examples of black players being compared to others that are completely different, in a desperate plea to make your point. Making up comparisons that could be perceived as racist just so you can desperately try to prove a point. You sad little man. I pity you.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #83: Dec 11, 2018 07:50:05 am

Your constant attempts to look for a racist angle within player comparisons is poor - really poor and actually undermines when people try and tackle true racism

Heskey and Origi were compared due to their style of play on a football pitch and their lack of confidence etc - nothing to do with their skin colour or ethnicity- they were compared as footballers.

For example I would compare Owen to Defoe , Baros to Cisse , Son to Garcia etc etc

And none of it will be because the colour of their skin or where they come from

Your accusations aimed towards forum members of racist undertones is poor and lacking any substance
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #84: Dec 11, 2018 08:35:55 am
      Heskey and Origi were compared due to their style of play on a football pitch and their lack of confidence etc - nothing to do with their skin colour or ethnicity- they were compared as footballers.
      Different style of play, a lot of players lack confidence and Origi isn't one of them. Origi and Hesky are both forwards aland that's all,   as for the rest... One is centre forward now other ended his career a support striker. One has strength other has agility. I'm not getting into this again. They're also not the same height or weight like it's been suggested. It's not a narrative and I know that Tweet in the papers is worse, but it just shows there's a scale and people should be more thoughtful about comparisons. Regardless if you disagree with me, I've raised the issue and people who read this may consider comparisons more carefully in the future.
      « Last Edit: Dec 11, 2018 08:42:20 am by Ribapuru »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #85: Dec 11, 2018 09:33:44 am
      If you think that tweet and comparing Heskey to Origi is the same thing then you genuinely need help.

Not to mention the Henry and Mbappe comparisons you also sight as racist, what a speedy French star who likes to drift wide and slot home finishes with a side foot to the corner. Sure Mbappe has more power to his game but it seems a fair comparison.

You then go on to just fabricate some examples of black players being compared to others that are completely different, in a desperate plea to make your point. Making up comparisons that could be perceived as racist just so you can desperately try to prove a point. You sad little man. I pity you.

he is right though I think Emile is an inch taller so impossible to compare them both :f_doh:. He is on a constant wind up of forum members and plays the victim to get support from his mates who then say he is being bullied.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #86: Dec 11, 2018 09:36:23 am
      he is right though I think Emile is an inch taller so impossible to compare them both :f_doh:. He is on a constant wind up of forum members and plays the victim to get support from his mates who then say he is being bullied.
      Walton, I didn't miss it when you said Gini was just like Veirra... I'll dig that out if necessary.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #87: Dec 11, 2018 09:36:43 am
      Different style of play, a lot of players lack confidence and Origi isn't one of them. Origi and Hesky are both forwards aland that's all,   as for the rest... One is centre forward now other ended his career a support striker. One has strength other has agility. I'm not getting into this again. They're also not the same height or weight like it's been suggested. It's not a narrative and I know that Tweet in the papers is worse, but it just shows there's a scale and people should be more thoughtful about comparisons. Regardless if you disagree with me, I've raised the issue and people who read this may consider comparisons more carefully in the future.

I’ll say it again as you appear to want to ignore the plain truth

People compared Origi and Heskey as footballers and not because of the colour of their skin - stop looking for a disgraceful angle to try and wind up forummers.

Using racism to score points is low
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #88: Dec 11, 2018 09:40:12 am
      I’ll say it again as you appear to want to ignore the plain truth

People compared Origi and Heskey as footballers and not because of the colour of their skin - stop looking for a disgraceful angle to try and wind up forummers.

Using racism to score points is low
      we'll have to agree to disagree here.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #89: Dec 11, 2018 09:53:27 am
      I remember posting a couple or three seasons back something like "Looks like racism is still a live and well in football", and two or three people here took it as I was saying that LFC was a racist club, Of course that was not what I was saying... But it seem that because of Brexit many of the people out there who felt that they had to hide thier attitude toward people of a different skin colour, or race feel that it is now OK to voice that opinion openly now... It has never really gone away, It has only hide itself away, but has always been there...
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #90: Dec 11, 2018 10:16:43 am
      In stoppage time at the end of the first half, around 46:40, Sakho gets the ball and is dallying around with it, not quite sure what to do.  Then you can hear one of our supporters clear as day yell out "pass it, coon!"

oh but it's only other clubs that have racist supporters, right? 

This is what I was saying when that Chelsea fans in the tube story happened.  We will never get racism out of football if every club says "oh it's only other clubs that have racist supporters."

there are racist supporters at every club.  Best way to deal with it is for each club to clean its own house instead of pointing the finger at other clubs.

Here is the thing Fed' no matter how any Club tries they will never totally get rid of racist Supporters, Those racist supporters will just learn to hide it as they have been going since the "Kick Racism Out" campaign started Look at the way the English supporters behaved in France during the Euros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_Un-lKwPM
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #91: Dec 11, 2018 02:26:29 pm
      It's not as bad in the prem, but try going to lower league matches and see the thuggery, hooliganism and racism that takes place away from the camera's.

Yes, it's a minority, just as hooligans have always been a minority, but it creeps upwards into the prem as it gains traction through people going to lower league matches and premier league matches.

Quick Reply