Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match.

Mignolet
      9 (9.5%)
      Can
      20 (21.1%)
      Skrtel
      20 (21.1%)
      Sakho
      1 (1.1%)
      Ibe
      36 (37.9%)
      Henderson
      1 (1.1%)
      Lucas
      1 (1.1%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      3 (3.2%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      3 (3.2%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Lambert
      1 (1.1%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Everton 0:0 Liverpool, In game and post match debate.

Read 45491 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Re: Everton 0:0 Liverpool, In game and post match debate.
      Reply #529: Feb 07, 2015 09:19:09 pm
      Disappointing result on the basis that Everton were inept. One shot on target (Coleman) maybe two?
      Credit to BR, the defense are much more solid looking, he and the lads have turned that around. GOOD clean sheet.
      Lacked energy in the middle, and up front the problem is the same as it's been all season and will continue to be.
      I wouldn't have picked SG before the game, unless Lucas was not fit and ONLY if he was playing in the holding position ... he CAN'T play in the position he played today any more, we've seen that in recent months. Guys playing there need to be able to get turned with the ball and push on, he can't do it. Game passed him by and he wasn't subbed.
      Sterling and Cou didn't play great, but once they were brought off thought the game went to pot, really poor last 20 mins. Two tired old grannies hitting each other with handbags.
      Allen and Hendo weren't great, but they weren't hopeless either - we were definitely the better side, so they get some credit on the day for being the better midfield.
      It'll take Studge a while to get up to full sharpness. Nothing done in Jan, so no other options.
      Disappointing game. Pity about not getting the 3 points. But at least we've shored up the defense and we don't come away with Everton having nicked it due to a howler at the back.
      Oh, and gave Ibe MOTM, brought in, young lad, looked composed, was one of out best attacking threats, in a derby. If one of the new signings had come in and played that well, people would've been creaming themselves.  Fair play to him.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #530: Feb 07, 2015 09:27:29 pm
      Same old story in the end. Lots of possession, no end product. We need better strikers than we currently have backing up Sturridge. Also, thought Brendan cost us the game by taking off Coutinho. All our creativity dried up after he went off. Allen was no worse than he ever is. King of the sideways pass and sneeze and you knock him off the ball. Next three games could define our season - Spurs, Saints then City.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #531: Feb 07, 2015 09:36:19 pm
      Allen was no worse than he ever is. King of the sideways pass and sneeze and you knock him off the ball.

I think Henderson has something to say about that!!!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #532: Feb 07, 2015 09:57:36 pm
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #533: Feb 07, 2015 11:06:28 pm
      To be honest, games like this where teams park the bus is where we need to come up with something otherwise we will not push on to  become a regular top four and even challenge for the title.

We could do with learning from those horrible Chelsea bunch. What I have noticed is that when they're in tight games they're struggling to break teams down, they stretch the opposition defence by getting their fullbacks right up the pitch and hugging the touchline, creating space. Azpilicamaggaogoobumchum and Ivanovicanus get in the box time after time, but I didn't see Moreno and Ibe do that often enough. We need  to supplement our attack with full backs more.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #534: Feb 07, 2015 11:39:15 pm
      Came in, read posts, decided can't be arsed as the bile has commenced. Good luck girls.

Same here.

Missed the game due to work.

Seems I didn't miss too much judging by the highlights.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #535: Feb 07, 2015 11:57:42 pm
      Ballotelli not on the bench again, can we now officially confirm that we have spunked £16M....?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #536: Feb 08, 2015 12:02:46 am
      This is what happens when you have Allen and Gerrard in the midfield, we loose all the dynamics in the team. As soon as Allen came on I just knew we'd struggle and when Lambert lumbered on I was 100% certain unless someone could deflect a ball off him.
      All in all I thought we played ok and it was a typically frustrating derby game, at least we didn't lose.

Now then onto Spurs who I fancy us to beat as long as we can nullify Kane.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #537: Feb 08, 2015 12:04:21 am
      Ballotelli not on the bench again, can we now officially confirm that we have spunked £16M....?

Yeah I don't get this at all, I'm not a big fan of Balotelli but he is still a hell of a lot better than Lambert, Christ most pub team strikers are better than Lambert, I'd actually go so far as to say that Lambert is the worst Liverpool striker I've ever seen.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #538: Feb 08, 2015 12:13:41 am
      This is what happens when you have Allen and Gerrard in the midfield, we loose all the dynamics in the team. As soon as Allen came on I just knew we'd struggle and when Lambert lumbered on I was 100% certain unless someone could deflect a ball off him.
      All in all I thought we played ok and it was a typically frustrating derby game, at least we didn't lose.

Now then onto Spurs who I fancy us to beat as long as we can nullify Kane.

What about Eriksen's free kicks? :(
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #539: Feb 08, 2015 12:43:33 am

Either way Sturridge needs to start that game and if Lucas is still injured, Lovren needs a recall so he can push Can in to midfield. Another thing about today that bothered me was how Everton repeatedly exposed Sahko. They actually targeted him as our weak link in the team and by and large it worked. I don't doubt the guy's ability but his decision making process is as ponderous as it is poor leading him to either be caught on the ball or play a pass he shouldn't.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #540: Feb 08, 2015 12:59:13 am
      Either way Sturridge needs to start that game and if Lucas is still injured, Lovren needs a recall so he can push Can in to midfield. Another thing about today that bothered me was how Everton repeatedly exposed Sahko. They actually targeted him as our weak link in the team and by and large it worked. I don't doubt the guy's ability but his decision making process is as ponderous as it is poor leading him to either be caught on the ball or play a pass he shouldn't.
      It's something that concerned me too actually. I've become a fan 'of Sakho but when he's pressured, it can be like watching a car crash. But do you really think Lovren is ready now? I mean, if he was, surely he'd have made a sub appearance by now.

I think Sakho is a really good defender but he needs better decision making, difference between playing out of defence and just clearing is something he struggles with.

I think we're at a delicate stage, we need to learn to win games when Couts and Sterling aren't winning games for us. Can needs to move up the field, but who will replace him?  It's  gonna come together, I can feel it, but when?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #541: Feb 08, 2015 01:06:14 am
      But do you really think Lovren is ready now?

I think there's only one way to find out.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #542: Feb 08, 2015 01:13:44 am
      F***ing hate those bitter cu*ts. F***ing shitbag tactics of don't come out their own half and attack. 90 minutes of 11 men behind the ball. One F***ing shot all game and that was in the last few minutes. F***ing horrible cu*ts. And they can F**k off with their plaque for the Hillsborough disaster an all. Funny how they've done F**k all for 26 years isn't it? All of a sudden, the real truth is revealed and they wanna be there with us. Where the F**k was the plaque when it first happened then? Where the F**k was it for the last 25 years? If they've always believed Liverpool fans to be innocent, why have they waited until it proven before they actually did something about it? Same goes for that fat tw*t Kenwright. Didn't see him at the service for the last two decades did we? No didn't want their name brandished in case we really were the murderers their scummy F***ing c**t fans think we are. Wouldn't be surprised if those bas**rds vandalise the plaque anyway.

F**k off!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #543: Feb 08, 2015 01:51:05 am
      Match of the Day
      THE RUNNING ORDER

1. Tottenham v Arsenal
      2. Aston Villa v Chelsea
      3. Man City v Hull
      4. QPR v Southampton
      5. Everton v Liverpool
      6. Leicester v Crystal Palace
      7. Swansea v Sunderland

Since when did QPR vs Soton become a bigger game than the Merseyside derby?

since when did the running order on MOTD determine the biggest games of the week?? we were on first loads of times last season, when we'd belt teams 4 or 5 nil, doesn't make those matches the biggest of the match day.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #544: Feb 08, 2015 03:10:09 am
      since when did the running order on MOTD determine the biggest games of the week?? we were on first loads of times last season, when we'd belt teams 4 or 5 nil, doesn't make those matches the biggest of the match day.

Also the running order doesn't  even matter with MOTD, its the length. Many times match 2 are just super short highlights and 3 or 4 is a longer version of highlights ;D

when people have it against you they'll find anything!! lmao   :lmao:

The old adage of form goes out the window in a derby is true.

0-0 away in a derby is a good result.

Having said that. I think we're gonna have to go to two up front at some point.

We need more of a goal threat that Sturridge alone.
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015 07:13:41 am by PastorGeek »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #545: Feb 08, 2015 07:55:19 am
      How did we do? From what I read, we did well without penetrating them. What happened to Lucas and Coutinho?
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #546: Feb 08, 2015 08:42:25 am
      F***ing hate those bitter cu*ts. F***ing shitbag tactics of don't come out their own half and attack. 90 minutes of 11 men behind the ball. One f**king shot all game and that was in the last few minutes. F***ing horrible cu*ts. And they can f**k off with their plaque for the Hillsborough disaster an all. Funny how they've done f**k all for 26 years isn't it? All of a sudden, the real truth is revealed and they wanna be there with us. Where the f**k was the plaque when it first happened then? Where the f**k was it for the last 25 years? If they've always believed Liverpool fans to be innocent, why have they waited until it proven before they actually did something about it? Same goes for that fat tw*t Kenwright. Didn't see him at the service for the last two decades did we? No didn't want their name brandished in case we really were the murderers their scummy f**king c**t fans think we are. Wouldn't be surprised if those bas**rds vandalise the plaque anyway.

F**k off!

Totally agree beautifully put.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #547: Feb 08, 2015 08:52:11 am
      F***ing hate those bitter cu*ts. F***ing shitbag tactics of don't come out their own half and attack. 90 minutes of 11 men behind the ball. One f**king shot all game and that was in the last few minutes. F***ing horrible cu*ts. And they can f**k off with their plaque for the Hillsborough disaster an all. Funny how they've done f**k all for 26 years isn't it? All of a sudden, the real truth is revealed and they wanna be there with us. Where the f**k was the plaque when it first happened then? Where the f**k was it for the last 25 years? If they've always believed Liverpool fans to be innocent, why have they waited until it proven before they actually did something about it? Same goes for that fat tw*t Kenwright. Didn't see him at the service for the last two decades did we? No didn't want their name brandished in case we really were the murderers their scummy f**king c**t fans think we are. Wouldn't be surprised if those bas**rds vandalise the plaque anyway.

F**k off!

I take it Billy that you'll be declining the invitation to the revealing of the plaque then  :f_whistle:

All kidding aside mate, your bang on, where indeed was their acceptance of the truth 26 yrs ago ?

YNWA
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #548: Feb 08, 2015 09:18:01 am
      My Micky ratings:

Mignolet: I thought this was his best performance of the season. There was one really excellent save off Coleman, and numerous other occasions when he was the commanding keeper we've all been crying out for. You could hear him too, and even his kicking wasn't ridiculous for the most part. 7/10.

Can: Continues to develop apace. He will eventually become a midfielder, but I thought it was the correct move from the boss to keep him in defence when Lucas went off. He can burst onto the scene from there just as well, and my guess is that at this stage he'd lack the fleet of foot to be a really good holder. I'd encourage him to run with the ball more as he's excellent at it, as well as having a crack whenever the mood takes him. Excellent performance again though today. 7/10.

Skrtel: Absolutely faultless display from surely the most improved centre half in the division. MOM for me. 8/10.

Sakho: Everton did a reasonably good job of isolating him in posession, and his confidence flowed away a little. He's going through a slightly dodgy spell is Sakho after an excellent six weeks. I still feel he should be less afraid of launching it if he is really pressed. 6/10.

Ibe: Was excellent throughout. He may not end up being a fullback, but for now he'll do for me. Did enough to get a run in the team IMHO. 8/10.

Moreno: Aside from one or two of his trademark brainless moments was solid enough. I still think we aren't using his afterburner pace nearly enough, and I'd have him bombing on more (Zabaleta style). 6/10.

Lucas: Not on for long enough to get a mark really.

Henderson: Not bad but lacking a bit of bravery in posession, which was a regress into his mode earlier in the season. He's at his best in my view when he truly goes box to box. 6/10.

Gerrard: Poor aside from one or two little moments which could have led to something. Looks a little lacking in sharpness to me at the moment, possibly carrying a slight injury. 6/10.

Sterling: Caused problems but is either infuriatingly greedy on occasions or completely lacking in vision and awareness. Young players are like that (indeed young people are like that, in any job) but it'll be better for us, him and whoever eventually buys him off us if he gets the hang of things sooner rather than later. 6/10. 

Coutinho: Was dished out some fairly heavy treatment from the yard dogs. Resisted the temptation (unfortunately) to get McCarthey sent off when the Everton man tugged him back after already being booked, but did produce the pass of the match to get Sterling in behind. He'll have better days, hopefully starting on Tuesday. That was no doubt the consideration when taking him and Sterling off. 7/10.

Subs:

Allen: Depressingly bad. Offered little either offensively or defensively, and had the "little boy lost" look about him on occasions. My guess is that Joe is entering his final few months as a Liverpool player. 5/10.

Lambert: Had a half chance of Gerrards clever little nudge but didn't catch it. Another who is in the latter stages of his "dream move", but nobody tries harder at least you've got to give him that. 5/10. 

Sturridge?
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #549: Feb 08, 2015 10:22:42 am
      Gutted we did not win this one
       we had our chances ,  and did not take them due to misses and luck they had only 1 shot on target at the end of the match
       just hope Lucas 's  injury is not serious , we need him in the line up,,,ANY NEWS ON THIS???
       not that allen was that bad (as some are saying in here ),IMO henderson  was the worst player we had  on the pitch
        pity Ibe did not have the pleasure of scoring  after a good move and shot that hit the post

At least our defence and goalie are keeping it tight
        we need another good performance  on tuesday ,the spuds are playing well , and its another must win game for us now, if we want to keep fighting for a top 4 place

YNWA
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #550: Feb 08, 2015 10:51:35 am
      I think there is an overreaction in this thread to that game.

First off, the onus in the derby should be on the home team to come out and give it a go. They didn't. Martinez set his team up well, and not to lose of course. Oh how the mighty have fallen, when we had Reds on here early last season implying Everton were going places with him, and we were going nowhere. Now, Martinez can only set his side up not to lose at home to their Red cousins. They did it well in fairness too, other than that I wouldn't be happy if I were a bitter witnessing my team set up like that against their arch rivals, and at home too.

On our behalf, we weren't exactly at our best but always looked fairly comfortable with and without possession. We just didn't take the best chance we had when Sterling chose to ignore Gerrard on the six yard box and decided again, to read the headlines before they were written as he shot from a fairly tight angle when the Liverpool skipper was better positioned. That's been typical of Raheem of late. The skipper didn't have his best game, the Coutinho sub was a little baffling and Skertel, Can and Mignolet had good games again.

Ibe looked good. He looks better than Markovic, going forward, shame he didn't get on the ball more in the second half.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #551: Feb 08, 2015 11:05:02 am
      It's something that concerned me too actually. I've become a fan 'of Sakho but when he's pressured, it can be like watching a car crash. But do you really think Lovren is ready now? I mean, if he was, surely he'd have made a sub appearance by now.

I think Sakho is a really good defender but he needs better decision making, difference between playing out of defence and just clearing is something he struggles with.

I think we're at a delicate stage, we need to learn to win games when Couts and Sterling aren't winning games for us. Can needs to move up the field, but who will replace him?  It's  gonna come together, I can feel it, but when?

Look at the game again. the passes to sakho were horrendous, coupled with a poor 1st touch and harassed by 2 Everton players meant he was in trouble.

He is solid and our best cb by a country mile. Look odd on the ball but he is pure quality. people listening to the haters on sky are just blinded.

Quick Reply