Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match.

Mignolet
      9 (9.5%)
      Can
      20 (21.1%)
      Skrtel
      20 (21.1%)
      Sakho
      1 (1.1%)
      Ibe
      36 (37.9%)
      Henderson
      1 (1.1%)
      Lucas
      1 (1.1%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      3 (3.2%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      3 (3.2%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Lambert
      1 (1.1%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Everton 0:0 Liverpool, In game and post match debate.

Read 45650 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Everton 0:0 Liverpool, In game and post match debate.
      Reply #552: Feb 08, 2015 11:10:11 am
      No time to post yesterday, watched the match, it was insipid. Everton were nearly every bit as good as Bolton. 

Allen was our best midfielder yesterday, which isn't praise though, as I thought all were poor.  Skrtel was our best defender on the day, which is praise.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #553: Feb 08, 2015 11:59:02 am
      No time to post yesterday, watched the match, it was insipid. Everton were nearly every bit as good as Bolton. 

Allen was our best midfielder yesterday, which isn't praise though, as I thought all were poor.  Skrtel was our best defender on the day, which is praise.

Skrtel bailed out Sahko several times. We need to recall Lovren and see if he's got his head sorted out because Sahko is an accident waiting to happen. If Lovren is no better then the Summer needs a defensive clear out. On a side note, anyone know when the ANC is over? Would like to see Toure restored to the side.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #554: Feb 08, 2015 12:52:33 pm
      Skrtel bailed out Sahko several times. We need to recall Lovren and see if he's got his head sorted out because Sahko is an accident waiting to happen. If Lovren is no better then the Summer needs a defensive clear out. On a side note, anyone know when the ANC is over? Would like to see Toure restored to the side.

Crazy talk, Sakho is class and we are lucky to have him. Our back line is fine right now, but we do need Lovren to play to potential.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #555: Feb 08, 2015 01:20:22 pm

Sorry mate, showing me age.

Sturridge: looks absolute class, but I must confess if I'd have been an Everton defender I'd have been quite pleased with how he decided to play. The danger with Daniel going forward is that this "saviour" stuff is going to go to his head a little and he's going to go into areas he shouldn't, too much. To me if I was playing against him I'd take his willingness to go deep as a moral win. I wouldn't want him playing on my shoulder, opening the door to the pass like he did against West Ham.

Sturridge is a vital player, arguably our best player, but he MUST stay up top more than he did yesterday. 6/10.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #556: Feb 08, 2015 01:48:44 pm

Far too rash, Skrtel has also always had an accident in him, wouldn't let one sub par performance force me into changes.  If we did, for example, after Bolton & Everton, Gerrard wouldn't  get another game for us this season.
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015 02:27:43 pm by Roddenberry »
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #557: Feb 08, 2015 01:49:42 pm
      Sterling was just too selfish....
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #558: Feb 08, 2015 01:53:07 pm
      Disappointed.
      The team looked leggy and bereft of ideas.

We need to pick it up a lot for the next match if we want to get something out of it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #559: Feb 08, 2015 02:21:56 pm
      First time I saw Sakho under pressure - he was getting bullied by two players most of the time.  You can point fingers at Sakho as he did make a couple of mistakes but I don't think Moreno helped him out.

He's had a great spell in the side though and none of his errors led to a goal.  He's still ten times the player Lovren is who can't even comprehend an offside trap.

I've been a big backer of Sakho and for me the back three have been one of the more positive aspects of our side in recent months so that remains the same.  Skrtel was brilliant yesterday.

I thought the first 15 minutes proved Everton were there for the taking.  If I had been making that substitution I would have pushed Can up and brought Johnson on for Lucas - with Glen going at the right side of defence. 

Disappointed with Brendan's decision to play Gerrard for the full 90 - no way was that based on form.  In my view he's had one great game this season and that was against League Two opposition.  Gerrard is a last half hour emergency sub for us now - it might sound harsh but I genuinely believe Liverpool play better without him. 

Looking ahead to Spurs it may not yet be a must win but it's certainly a must not lose.  If Spurs win and go 7 pts ahead + a better GD then I can't see us being 8 points better than them over the final 13 games and I'm not even sure they will finish top four.  The pressure is firmly on now.  The time for sentimentality in team selection is well and truly over.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #560: Feb 08, 2015 02:30:43 pm
      Skrtel has been our best CB for last two seasons didnt start well but sure Migs and Lovren contributed to that. Sakho is a good addition which has shown in recent upturn of clean sheets. He has the highest % of completed passes and yes he was caught yesterday because he simply refuses a negative sideways or backwards ball. Moreno clearly does not help and was AWOL in lead up to only chance and on other occasions.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #561: Feb 08, 2015 02:35:39 pm
      Look at the game again. the passes to sakho were horrendous, coupled with a poor 1st touch and harassed by 2 Everton players meant he was in trouble.

He is solid and our best cb by a country mile. Look odd on the ball but he is pure quality. people listening to the haters on sky are just blinded.

Agreed. It probably wasn't Sakho's best game, but that is because he has so many great ones. I wouldn't be surprised if he was spoken as one of the worlds best defenders in a few years time.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #562: Feb 08, 2015 02:38:00 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised if he was spoken as one of the worlds best defenders in a few years time.

Ye I think so too.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #563: Feb 08, 2015 02:40:12 pm
      Looking back at this one, Everton did everything possible to neutralise Coutninho and Sterlings impact in the game. Pressed us high and stuck 8 men behind the ball when we had the ball. Very hard to break that down. Says more about them doing it at home than it does us not breaking it down away.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #564: Feb 08, 2015 02:41:19 pm

What a ridiculous notion, we have never looked so solid as a unit and you suggest breaking that up because of a couple of sloppy passes. You suggest Toure and Lovren........quite obviously you have not seen many games with those two in the side.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #565: Feb 08, 2015 02:48:58 pm
      What a ridiculous notion, we have never looked so solid as a unit and you suggest breaking that up because of a couple of sloppy passes. You suggest Toure and Lovren........quite obviously you have not seen many games with those two in the side.

We've looked solid since Can was put in defence, not sine Sahko started. What I'm suggesting is that with an absence of any other talented defensive midfielders, if Lucas is injured it would be better to bring back Lovren and/or Toure for Can and/or Sahko and push Can back in to a midfield role during Lucas's absence. Prey tell, just what is ridiculous about that notion, exactly?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #566: Feb 08, 2015 02:56:04 pm
      We've looked solid since Can was put in defence, not sine Sahko started. What I'm suggesting is that with an absence of any other talented defensive midfielders, if Lucas is injured it would be better to bring back Lovren and/or Toure for Can and/or Sahko and push Can back in to a midfield role during Lucas's absence. Prey tell, just what is ridiculous about that notion, exactly?

The suggestion that the headless chicken Lovren should be bought back for a start. The whole point of having 3 at the back with Skrtel as a sweeper is that the two either side of him are ball playing CB's which Lovren has not shown at all along with his defensive errors.

Oh yeah and it was Can who put in a MoM performance against West Ham not Sakho......talk about an agenda.

And as I suggested you don't watch many games because yesterday Allen did just as good a job as Lucas defensively. What was it one shot on target from the Bitters.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #567: Feb 08, 2015 03:02:27 pm
      The suggestion that the headless chicken Lovren should be bought back for a start. The whole point of having 3 at the back with Skrtel as a sweeper is that the two either side of him are ball playing CB's which Lovren has not shown at all along with his defensive errors.

Oh yeah and it was Can who put in a MoM performance against West Ham not Sakho......talk about an agenda.

And as I suggested you don't watch many games because yesterday Allen did just as good a job as Lucas defensively. What was it one shot on target from the Bitters.

Mingnolet had a second chance. Sahko had a second chance. Markovic was given a second chance. Balotelli has been given numerous chances, as has Lambert. Why shouldn't Lovren be given another chance? As for Allen, what I said was Allen was no better or worse than usual. I did not say he was better or worse than Lucas. Perhaps you should read thoroughly before commenting?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #568: Feb 08, 2015 03:06:01 pm
      Changing the back three after registering our fourth clean sheet in a row in the league is just pure madness. Even crazier when it would be Lovren coming in for one of the three.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #569: Feb 08, 2015 03:06:42 pm
      Mingnolet had a second chance. Sahko had a second chance. Markovic was given a second chance. Balotelli has been given numerous chances, as has Lambert. Why shouldn't Lovren be given another chance? As for Allen, what I said was Allen was no better or worse than usual. I did not say he was better or worse than Lucas. Perhaps you should read thoroughly before commenting?

Lovren will be given another chance when one of the current 3 at the back get injured or start making errors leading to goals.

Form team in the league

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2014-2015/form-table/full
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #570: Feb 08, 2015 03:20:39 pm
      Lovren will be given another chance when one of the current 3 at the back get injured or start making errors leading to goals.

Form team in the league

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2014-2015/form-table/full

Again you haven't read what I said. If Lucas is injured, it comes down to Gerrard being put there or Allen or Can. My opinion is I'd sooner see Can be put in the holding midfield role because out of the three, he looks the best when he plays in that position. It has nothing to do with my opinions about Sahko, that's a side issue. If you then push Can back in to the midfield, someone has to fill the gap at CB and since Toure is on international duty, that means Lovren or Johnson. So again, given the choice between those two, I'd like to see Lovren be given a second chance. Perhaps if you weren't so intent on picking a fight with me for no reason you'd have understood this after the initial post :roll:
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #571: Feb 08, 2015 03:24:08 pm
      What a sh*te game that was.

They played with shitbag tactics from the start, but once again we've failed to take full advantage of teams around us dropping points.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #572: Feb 08, 2015 03:59:39 pm
      We need to recall Lovren and see if he's got his head sorted out because Sahko is an accident waiting to happen.

'waiting to happen'. He's gone 19 games without a major accident if I can remember.

Sakho's started 17 games and we've conceded 13 goals [0.76 a game] - how many of those 13 were his fault.

Lovren's started 19 games and we've conceded 29 goals [1.53 a game]

It's a simple stat and doesn't prove everything but having watched both of them this season then IMO there is some causal relationship between the fact that a Lovren defence concedes DOUBLE the number of goals that one with Sakho has.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #573: Feb 08, 2015 04:12:01 pm
      I'm game for Lovren to be given a second chance, but not while our defense looks so indomitable. Someone will go through a bad patch, or there will be injury in the midfield, thus necessitating Can moving there, and he'll get his chance.

Honestly I don't think we can isolate a single one of our three defenders as being the sole reason we have been solid at the back. All 3 have been remarkable.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #574: Feb 08, 2015 04:20:21 pm

We have looked our most impressive defensively since Rodgers took charge with our current back line and you are on about restoring Lovren and Toure and a Summer defensive clear out?

Very odd.

Quick Reply