Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)

Read 314348 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation
      Reply #874: Mar 24, 2015 02:47:34 pm

I just don't understand this argument that he hasn't achieved anything.

We as a club haven't achieved anything in recent years.

The last time we won even the FA Cup was in 2006, nearly a decade ago.  After that the only thing we have "achieved" was the f**king League Cup, which we barely won after going to penalties against a side in the Championship.

Suarez was on ridiculous wages and he hadn't achieved anything, the most he had won at club level was the cup in the Netherlands.  He didn't even win the league with Ajax.  And yet no one said "he hasn't achieved anything."

So if you want to say Sterling hasn't achieved anything, fair enough, but then again neither has anyone in our squad.  Unless you're going to start saying "so and so deserves massive wages because we scraped by Cardiff a couple of years back."  Erm.  Ok. 

Decent point Fed.

I think it's purely because he is so young that bothers most. As in he has no long term 'background' to his talent.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #875: Mar 24, 2015 03:04:53 pm
      Not having a go at you here, just wondering what exactly you mean by "achieved things."

I keep seeing this in this thread about Sterling, he's "achieved nothing." 

What sort of things are we referring to?  When he will have achieved something, what will that be exactly?

Been part of a team that has won trophies and/or titles. Let's use Ces Fabregas as an example. Before joining Chelsea, he signed a contract in 2011 worth around £85K a week. By the time he'd signed that contract, as a player, his honours included an FA Cup, Charity shield, a Premier League title, two league Cups, a La Liga title, a Copa del Rey, a Spanish Super Cup, a UEFA Super Cup, and a FIFA World club cup. He was also four years older than Sterling at the time. Even taking in to account inflation in wages over the last 3 years or so, are we seriously saying that Sterling, a player who has no honours, is worth almost twice as much as Fabregas was?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #876: Mar 24, 2015 03:12:57 pm
      Good job Brendan alienating the kid, playing him as a RWB, in favor of Lallana. I think he's pushing him out of the door with his tactical "brains".
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #877: Mar 24, 2015 03:43:17 pm
      No young player should be anywhere near £100k, let alone £150k.

He has been rank since all this contract chat, he has 3 tears on his current one as well ffs.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #878: Mar 24, 2015 05:33:14 pm
      Well at least Brendan or whoever is negotiating deals can point the greedy little f**ker at his last few months form and ask him what the F**k he has done to earn his mega bucks.

If he seriously wants 150k I'd F**k him off straight away... In fact I'd keep him here on his current contract and throw him in the reserves.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #879: Mar 24, 2015 05:35:55 pm
      In fact I'd keep him here on his current contract and throw him in the reserves.

And that will achieve what exactly mate? 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #880: Mar 24, 2015 05:41:02 pm
      And that will achieve what exactly mate? 

He'd learn his F***ing lesson Debs. ;) ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #881: Mar 24, 2015 05:51:23 pm
      He'd learn his F***ing lesson Debs. ;) ;D

I don't get what the lesson is though Si.  If he doesn't get what he wants he's off. 

So if we're not going to offer it to him we need him to shine in the 1st team so we get as much for him as possible and get as many points as possible in the meantime.

Or do people really want the Club to cut its own nose off to spite its face? 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #882: Mar 24, 2015 06:04:40 pm
      I don't get what the lesson is though Si.  If he doesn't get what he wants he's off. 

So if we're not going to offer it to him we need him to shine in the 1st team so we get as much for him as possible and get as many points as possible in the meantime.

Or do people really want the Club to cut its own nose off to spite its face? 

To be honest the whole thing seems wrong. There's too much information regarding contract negotiations handled out in the public domain which is clearly driven by the club. I do pretty much buy into the whole FSG PR exercise idea on this, they're putting pressure on the lad via external forces and hoping that at the end of the day they either get him for the price they want or are left looking like "well at least we tried but the lad was too greedy, nothing we could do." So on that side of things I feel things are being handled wrongly and in many ways feel manipulated by their agenda.

I do think £100k a week is more than fair, if the rumours of demands around £150k are to be believed then the lad and his representatives are clearly angling for a move as there's no way we're going to pay that.

All of this has begun to alienate me from the game, seeing a 20 year old with a massive future ahead of him getting offered that much for playing footy and turning it down is completely wrong. There is something rather perverse about the working man / woman cheering on these millionaires who are now more concerned about their image than their club and will just move around to the highest bidder that I personally feel there is a detachment beginning to happen. Clubs are becoming secondary, fans becoming just a meal ticket, the connection between the three is becoming so separate that we're losing sight of what this beautiful game is or indeed was.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #883: Mar 24, 2015 06:25:22 pm
      To be honest the whole thing seems wrong. There's too much information regarding contract negotiations handled out in the public domain which is clearly driven by the club. I do pretty much buy into the whole FSG PR exercise idea on this, they're putting pressure on the lad via external forces and hoping that at the end of the day they either get him for the price they want or are left looking like "well at least we tried but the lad was too greedy, nothing we could do." So on that side of things I feel things are being handled wrongly and in many ways feel manipulated by their agenda.

I do think £100k a week is more than fair, if the rumours of demands around £150k are to be believed then the lad and his representatives are clearly angling for a move as there's no way we're going to pay that.

All of this has begun to alienate me from the game, seeing a 20 year old with a massive future ahead of him getting offered that much for playing footy and turning it down is completely wrong. There is something rather perverse about the working man / woman cheering on these millionaires who are now more concerned about their image than their club and will just move around to the highest bidder that I personally feel there is a detachment beginning to happen. Clubs are becoming secondary, fans becoming just a meal ticket, the connection between the three is becoming so separate that we're losing sight of what this beautiful game is or indeed was.

Oh I agree they're playing a canny game in all this mate, people forget it was the Club who approached his side about an extension not the other way round.  Whether they did that to tie him into a cheaper deal wouldn't surprise me nor the fact it's backfired somewhat. 

As I've said plenty of times already, circumstances since those talks started have meant that he's become our 2nd most important player in terms of minutes on the pitch, so naturally they want him to be acknowledged as such.

The Club fu**ed up our recruitment in the summer meaning we were left to rely on a 19/20 year old to hold our season together and if the Club decides he's not worth keeping then, in my eyes, they'll have fu**ed us up again.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #884: Mar 24, 2015 07:08:48 pm
      Been part of a team that has won trophies and/or titles. Let's use Ces Fabregas as an example. Before joining Chelsea, he signed a contract in 2011 worth around £85K a week. By the time he'd signed that contract, as a player, his honours included an FA Cup, Charity shield, a Premier League title, two league Cups, a La Liga title, a Copa del Rey, a Spanish Super Cup, a UEFA Super Cup, and a FIFA World club cup. He was also four years older than Sterling at the time. Even taking in to account inflation in wages over the last 3 years or so, are we seriously saying that Sterling, a player who has no honours, is worth almost twice as much as Fabregas was?

Terrible method of comparison bro..;D..

Why not just compare King Kennys wages in the 80's to Sterling's in 2015 for even more shock factor.. lollol.. Inflation alone messes up that particular way of thinking. Clubs take ridiculous punts on young starlets regardless to what they've won because they're clearly young and gifted. Different rules and fees for players who are even"potentially" a different calibre..? He's not an average youngster in the prem at all..

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #885: Mar 24, 2015 07:10:53 pm

Can you blame them? How many on this forum alone would be ready to leap on the FSG bashing bandwagon if Sterling was to leave the club? How many would point at Ayre and say he's inept, get rid of him, even though he has had no part in the talks? How many would accuse FSG of penny pinching? Why should the club be held to ransom by some greedy little pr**k and then be blamed for his leaving? I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to let it be known that the contracts have broken down due to greed on player and agent's behalf. If there's pressure on the lad its pressure of his own making.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #886: Mar 24, 2015 07:14:44 pm

Not really when you take into account the fact that that 85k is about 89k in 2015 money adjusted for inflation.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #887: Mar 24, 2015 07:24:19 pm
      Perhaps if Raheem signed this deal, concentrated on playing to his  full potential for the club and fans, as a still very young player. He would no doubt receive a further improved contract rather than seemingly demanding too much sterling £££ at such a young age.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #888: Mar 24, 2015 07:34:34 pm

Why not just compare King Kennys wages in the 80's to Sterling's in 2015 for even more shock factor.. lollol.. Inflation alone messes up that particular way of thinking. Clubs take ridiculous punts on young starlets regardless to what they've won because they're clearly young and gifted. Different rules and fees for players who are even"potentially" a different calibre..? He's not an average youngster in the prem at all..

Do some research before posting idiotic comments. Why would I compare thirty years difference in wages? The entire point of comparing Fabregas in 2011 is because 2011 was three years ago. According to the Bank of England, £85,000 in 2011 is now worth £92,500 in 2014 (because this fiscal year hasn't ended yet, 2015 cannot be calculated). That's still £57,500 a week more Sterling is allegedly asking for and he hasn't won a single honour in his short career.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #889: Mar 24, 2015 11:17:46 pm

If you want to compare Kennys wages in the 80s to Sterlings  wages today the only way to factor the difference is to compare wages to the average wage in 1977 when Kenny signed and 2015 in the case of Sterling. When comparing Kenny to Sterling it should be remembered that Kenny was the finished product when he signed for us  and at the moment Sterling is nowhere near the level Kenny was.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #890: Mar 24, 2015 11:20:10 pm
      Seems to me as though it's his agents that are causing these delays. Certainly the impression I got from what Rodgers said about the situation
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #891: Mar 25, 2015 12:36:50 am
      man this has to be the stupidest thread on the board. so many people saying Sterling thinks he's better than he is? it's all of you who have been overrating and overhyping him! you don't have a clue how arrogant a kid he actually is. the arrogance of the fans has been the ridiculous thing here. he has a good run and he's the Hottest Talent In Europe And Oh My God So GOod but he gets thrown around to help the team, still learning his craft, combine that with some shitrags stories about contracts and you all turn on a red like he's murdered your wife. you guys are genuine nutters!! get your heads outta those tabloids!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #892: Mar 25, 2015 01:00:12 am
      If you want to compare Kennys wages in the 80s to Sterlings  wages today the only way to factor the difference is to compare wages to the average wage in 1977 when Kenny signed and 2015 in the case of Sterling. When comparing Kenny to Sterling it should be remembered that Kenny was the finished product when he signed for us  and at the moment Sterling is nowhere near the level Kenny was.

There's no way to compare Kenny's wages to today's players because even taking in to account thirty eight years of inflation, wages are structured differently now to how they were prior to the Premier League. The guy was trying to be a smart arse and failed. The point in comparing Fabregas is because if you take in to account inflation, and keep in mind Sterling's obvious potential, but lack of honours, £100,000 per week would seem generous and should have been accepted by the player.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #893: Mar 25, 2015 01:36:52 am
      Still no news then? Can't this thread be locked until negotiations recommence?  This anger and fear mongering based on nothing but innuendo and speculation belongs in a red top rag or The Daily Mail, not on here.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #894: Mar 25, 2015 08:47:01 am
      Do we not have a wage cap, and then bonus system anyway ?

I thought only superstars like Gerrard & suarez got the top top deals.

We don't have any superstars now IMO.

Sterling and hendo are quality young players who perhaps by the time thier next deal comes round they could be classed as superstars.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #895: Mar 25, 2015 12:28:17 pm
      Do we not have a wage cap, and then bonus system anyway ?

I thought only superstars like Gerrard & suarez got the top top deals.

We don't have any superstars now IMO.

Sterling and hendo are quality young players who perhaps by the time thier next deal comes round they could be classed as superstars.
      agree with you mate but footballers now are all after money and how much they can get all of them are greedy and want as much cash after tax as possible. only a small few are actually more interested in just playing footie whilst earning a few million a year
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #896: Mar 25, 2015 12:50:03 pm
      I was just sure I read somewhere recently that it was working very well for us, the bonus system etc.

All thsi contract stuff getting out in public is not cool, but thats down to agents I reckon more than club & player.

Quick Reply