Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Different football codes

Read 15660 times
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Re: Different football codes
      Reply #23: Feb 18, 2015 05:50:40 pm
      Union...every time for me thank you very much. I was born in the 70's to a Welsh father and Scouse mother, so there was only ever going to be one colour for me - RED. Obviously, that was further aided by the fact that during the 70's and 80's they were halcyon times for both reds that played and plied their trades with such attacking and exciting fervour.

Both teams were easy on the eye. Unlike your England or Chelsea of today who just kill the game stone dead with their negative tactics. The Welsh and the Irish play Union the way it should be played and it's one of the reasons as to why such delight is taken when they beat the middle-classed, toffee nosed, boring, stop 'n start, ruck and maul Saxons ;D

I found League to be boring, but I can see why League is the preference down under though. It's a different beast there and it's all about all out attack and obviously exciting to watch. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Feb 18, 2015 06:11:36 pm
      Cricket is a brilliant game once you get it, and being a fan of baseball (a brilliant game in its nuances as you would know!) I think you'll enjoy it. As Crouch said, get into a few of the rivalries. I'm actually going to the World Cup final in a month as well! Hopefully the Aussies will be there :D

Yeah I follow Wests Tigers, bit of a weird team to follow as they seem to either fly or completely sh*t the bed. Not as big into it the last few years having been over in the states, and I devoted any late nights I could to trying to keep up with my Aussie Rules, but been watching a bit since I've been back. Still prefer Aussie Rules so much more, but that's just personal preference. NRL is still terrific to watch.

Also, I'm wearing an A's cap as I type this reply. Thought you'd approve :D

Yeah, I used to make fun of baseball as a boring game before I actually got to watch and understand it, and totally understand that cricket might be an enjoyable sport once I go through the same process with it. A big difficulty would be to get to watch it here in Brazil, but I plan to give it a shot when (and if) I go to England for my studies.

I haven't watched a NRL game yet but will do so in the next couple of days, as I get ready for the World Club Challenge on Sunday - I want to have an idea of what I should be expecting from the Rabbitohs.

I certainly do approve the A's cap! :D

As for the Union fans around, I've been reading a book about its history (A Game for Hooligans, very good read) and I must say I'm not a huge fan of the whole amateur ideal that in my eyes seriously hindered the progress of the sport, which could be much bigger if not for some very snobbish conceptions. I've just read a passage about the IRB's treatment of Canadian rugby, for instance, and just like their treament of many other nations where the game wasn't so far evolved, rugby history seems to be full of missed opportunities. Rugby Union's relationship with Apartheid South Africa is also a stain in the game's trajectory.

I must admit I sympathize with the fact rugby league is a bit of a northern working class game, and it also seems to be more of a people's game in Australia, by the little I know of it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #25: Feb 18, 2015 06:28:05 pm
      Yeah, I used to make fun of baseball as a boring game before I actually got to watch and understand it

I completely  understand it and I still make fun of it as a boring game....because it is! :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Feb 18, 2015 06:54:05 pm
      Ha ha... To be fair, being above average isn't exactly the most extravagant of claims HSBC.  ;)
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #27: Feb 18, 2015 07:08:14 pm
      I completely  understand it and I still make fun of it as a boring game....because it is! :D

Average median time for NFL is 3hrs 12mins; Baseball is 3hrs 14mins. They even manage to eek out 2hrs 15mins+ for a basketball game.

Does the time spent at these events play a part? I'd imagine all of the delays and stop starts would spoil the viewing enjoyment and detract from the fans interaction.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #28: Feb 18, 2015 07:21:30 pm
      Average median time for NFL is 3hrs 12mins; Baseball is 3hrs 14mins. They even manage to eek out 2hrs 15mins+ for a basketball game.

Does the time spent at these events play a part? I'd imagine all of the delays and stop starts would spoil the viewing enjoyment and detract from the fans interaction.

NFL takes so long because the clock stops after incomplete passes or when the ball goes out of bounds. So the 12 minute quarters could last considerably longer depending on whether the game is pass heavy (vs run heavy where the clock typically runs more) and also the coaches have 3 timeouts they can use per half. Also, because of the TV sponsorship money, there are regular commercial breaks during the game (which is highly irritating).

In Baseball...there are similar commercial breaks and stoppages between innings. The difference between Football and Baseball though is that when the clock is running during an NFL game, it's exciting...whereas most of a baseball game is waiting for the pitcher to stop scratching his balls or shrugging off the catcher's signals or throwing to 1st base to keep the runner one, etc......

Games are actually better to watch in person even with the starting and stopping and I will concede that a Baseball game should only be watched in person if at all. It's a much better experience although still boring as hell to me.

At NFL games there is an "experience" of being at the game (maybe not so different as in soccer) that keeps you pretty tuned in even when there are stoppages.

Plus we are just used to it at this point. It's like when I try to explain soccer to my friends that don't watch it. They can't believe there are no commercials, no timeouts, etc....

It's one of the reasons I really started being drawn to it...I like the non-stop aspect.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Feb 20, 2015 06:54:10 pm
      It's one of the reasons I really started being drawn to it...I like the non-stop aspect.

It's one of the main reasons rugby league is so cool.

However, I think think football (soccer) is the most aesthetically pleasing sport to watch, and generally rugby league does not come close in that aspect.

It's fun as hell though, I've been enjoying it. This Sunday Saints and Rabbitohs face each other for the world championship trophy.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #30: Feb 21, 2015 09:00:04 am
      Love rugby, 6 nations season is amazing and the world cup later too! Might be able to make it to all the games at Murrayfield this year if I can get my grubby mitts on those Scotland vs Ireland tickets I really want.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: Apr 08, 2015 05:00:18 pm
      In my eternal quest to watch every single collective sport that is played with at least an ounce of seriousness around the world, I'm now officially interested in the AFL (Australian Football League)!

I have a new boss at work who is Australian and supposedly a big AFL fan. She's convinced me to give it a try - says it's even better than rugby league.

Hurry up John if you want to influence my decision on which team I'll pick, because David (bigv) has already introduced me to Port Adelaide... ;D

Oh and I also found a website where I could watch some Gaelic Football games! Saw a couple of videos about the sport on youtube and it's pretty insane, looks like they put a lot of different sports in a mixer and came up with a new one.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #32: Apr 09, 2015 04:39:27 pm
      In my eternal quest to watch every single collective sport that is played with at least an ounce of seriousness around the world, I'm now officially interested in the AFL (Australian Football League)!

I have a new boss at work who is Australian and supposedly a big AFL fan. She's convinced me to give it a try - says it's even better than rugby league.

Hurry up John if you want to influence my decision on which team I'll pick, because David (bigv) has already introduced me to Port Adelaide... ;D

Oh and I also found a website where I could watch some Gaelic Football games! Saw a couple of videos about the sport on youtube and it's pretty insane, looks like they put a lot of different sports in a mixer and came up with a new one.

Mate you'll love this then.

Quote from Wikipedia: International Rules Series
      The International Rules Series is a senior men's international rules football competition between the Australia international rules football team (selected by the Australian Football League) and the Ireland international rules football team (selected by the Gaelic Athletic Association). The series is played twice every three years in October and November after the completion of the AFL Grand Final and the All-Ireland Football Final which are both traditionally played in late September. The matches are played using a set of compromise rules decided upon by both the two governing bodies; known formally as international rules football. While the International Rules Series matches use some rules from Australian rules football, the field, ball and uniforms of both teams are all from Gaelic football.

The two teams contest a trophy, which in 2004 was named the Cormac McAnallen Cup—after the Tyrone team captain Cormac McAnallen, whose death that year from a heart condition came after he had represented Ireland in the previous three series.

The concept for the series originates from the Australian Football World Tour, which took place in 1967. The first series took place in Ireland in 1984 under a three match format, whereby the team accumulating the most wins from the series gained victory. Following poor Australian crowds and relative lack of interest in 1990, the series was revived in 1998 under a two match aggregate points format.[1] In a bid to revitalise the public interest in the concept, the 2014 series was reduced to a one-off test match featuring exclusively All-Australian players.

The series alternates host countries each appropriate year between Ireland and Australia. Since the commencement of the modern era series in 1998, the average attendance up to the conclusion of the 2011 series was 44,746. Only once has any test sold out in Australia, in Perth in 2003. The first entire series to sell out was in Ireland in 2006 when a combined record crowd of 112,127 was set, as well as the largest international sports fixture at Croke Park for the second test.

The tests were indefinitely postponed by the GAA in 2007 following the 2006 Series, citing a series of violent onfield incidents.[2] However, the series resumed in October 2008 in Australia, after the GAA and AFL reached collective agreement on a revised set of rules. The 2013 series was notable for the inclusion of an Australian team made up of exclusively Indigenous players, known as the Indigenous All Stars.[3]

In the most recent series, which was reduced to a one off test match (2014 International Rules Test) was won by Australia, their first win in 4 years. The win levelled the overall series wins at 9-9. However, Ireland lead the overall matches won 20-17.

It gets very heated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSrUcL2SSM#

But the standard of play is still excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuMyeoR8f8#ws

Really wish it was more than once a year and more countries could get involved.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Apr 09, 2015 06:14:09 pm
      Mate you'll love this then.

It gets very heated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSrUcL2SSM#

But the standard of play is still excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuMyeoR8f8#ws

Really wish it was more than once a year and more countries could get involved.

Haha this is just awesome.

How can someone not love sports?

Quick Reply