Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Liverpool FC - The Dortmund of the Premiership

Read 18735 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Dortmund of the Premiership
      Reply #92: Feb 03, 2014 05:54:05 pm
      I don't think running our club like Dortmund will have any significant effect whatsoever. It's pretty clear that all the money is in English football. TV revenue, multiple sponsorship deals and oil tycoons as club owners. This is something Dortmund ultimately, along with most other German teams, do not have. Four English clubs could easily outspend Bayern Munich, so to think that Liverpool can build their way to the top on a tight budget whilst City, Chelsea, United, and Arsenal are spending millions is ambitious to say the least.

This strategy may work in leagues that do not possess stupidly rich teams, but it certainly would not materialise here in the English premier league. The days of building world class teams on tight budgets are over. Even Arsenal have had to resort to breaking the bank with talent such as Ozil.

I commend Dortmund for what they have achieved; winning the league and competing for 'ol big ears, but whether they can sustain this dominance is another question that can only be answered in time.

Chelsea and City will have the luxury of making quick fixes in any circumstance - we won't. It's quite similar to how J Henry made Boston Red Soxs a dominating force. The task at hand is far simpler if you have less strong opponents to worry about. Without disrespecting the bundesliga, the only team with noticeable power is Bayern. The others are all on the periphery.

Nice post, though

how comparable to the EPL is the difficulty in winning the thingy baseball league.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #93: Feb 03, 2014 05:56:47 pm
      how comparable to the EPL is the difficulty in winning the thingy baseball league.

What is 'baseball'? Don't think I've heard of that sport before.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #94: Feb 03, 2014 06:03:31 pm
      What is 'baseball'? Don't think I've heard of that sport before.

my point exactly we keep getting the RED SOX rammed down our throats but how big an achievement was it for them to win their league series compared to the EPL or the CL.I don't watch any Amercian sport other than Golf so I don't honestly know .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #95: Feb 03, 2014 06:05:11 pm
      my point exactly we keep getting the RED SOX rammed down our throats but how big an achievement was it for them to win their league series compared to the EPL or the CL.I don't watch any Amercian sport other than Golf so I don't honestly know .

Golf was invented in Scotland my friend.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #96: Feb 03, 2014 06:15:13 pm
      Golf was invented in Scotland my friend.

I mean't Amercian coverage of golf, golf  played in America.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #97: Feb 03, 2014 06:30:35 pm

Ha, well, if my ignorance doesn't get the better of me, they only have to worry about the Yankees. Same applies to their transfers, however they do it in those American States.

Now, let's just list all those top football clubs: PSG, Bayern, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid.........
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #98: Feb 03, 2014 06:42:09 pm
      Ha, well, if my ignorance doesn't get the better of me, they only have to worry about the Yankees. Same applies to their transfers, however they do it in those American States.

Now, let's just list all those top football clubs: PSG, Bayern, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid.........

that's what I was trying to gauge how big a deal is it to win the Baseball thingymabob.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #99: Feb 03, 2014 07:17:17 pm
      that's what I was trying to gauge how big a deal is it to win the Baseball thingymabob.

Don't worry, I know, and I agree.

I personally don't believe the 'Dortmund way' will work in the Premier League. Nice optimism from the op, though!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #100: Feb 03, 2014 07:21:35 pm

Not really. By being at the top of the table, you are confirmed to have been the best team for the duration of a season. Winning the MLB playoffs is about who was the hottest team throughout a month between the 8 best teams of the regular season. It's very rare that the best regular season team in the MLB wins the actual championship. I hate American sports sometimes :D

The Red Sox just have to be one of the best 4 in their league (there are 2 leagues), and they make it to the dance. From there, it's a crapshoot. Bit like the Champions League knockouts, only who you play is determined based on record rather than a random draw, and teams with the better records are rewarded with more home games than their opponents.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #101: Feb 03, 2014 07:34:59 pm
      Not really. By being at the top of the table, you are confirmed to have been the best team for the duration of a season. Winning the MLB playoffs is about who was the hottest team throughout a month between the 8 best teams of the regular season. It's very rare that the best regular season team in the MLB wins the actual championship. I hate American sports sometimes :D

The Red Sox just have to be one of the best 4 in their league (there are 2 leagues), and they make it to the dance. From there, it's a crapshoot. Bit like the Champions League knockouts, only who you play is determined based on record rather than a random draw, and teams with the better records are rewarded with more home games than their opponents.

cheers mate so there isn't a real comparison in achievement between the two despite it being rammed down our necks far too frequently.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #102: Feb 03, 2014 10:24:36 pm
      cheers mate so there isn't a real comparison in achievement between the two despite it being rammed down our necks far too frequently.

The achievement is similar in that it means you're champion, I suppose. But the method to getting there is completely different, IMO.

That's why I think "moneyball" wouldn't truly work in Europe as it did in the MLB. In the MLB, you just need to get yourself in to the playoffs, and then there are tons of factors that can determine who wins the damn thing. If the aim is the Premier League trophy, you have to be the best over the duration of a very long and taxing season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #103: Feb 13, 2015 08:54:31 pm
      Liverpool FC - The Dortmund of the Premiership? I hope not.

Poor Dortmund, sitting 16th on 19 points after 20 games -  their fans, reknowned for being extremely loyal, going mental at the players and Klopp - I genuinely hope they don't go down.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #104: Feb 13, 2015 09:07:05 pm
      Liverpool FC - The Dortmund of the Premiership? I hope not.

Poor Dortmund, sitting 16th on 19 points after 20 games -  their fans, reknowned for being extremely loyal, going mental at the players and Klopp - I genuinely hope they don't go down.

Since you posted this, they have gone from 2-2 to 4-2 up.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #105: Feb 13, 2015 10:27:17 pm
      What a b***ard - the mancs were after Klopp at one time I believe, not to worry tho' what they ended up with is well capable of F***ing it all up.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #106: Feb 13, 2015 10:35:48 pm
      If anything Dortmund demonstrate if you sell your best players year on year you'll lose your way as we know ourselves.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #107: Feb 14, 2015 03:02:35 pm
      If anything Dortmund demonstrate if you sell your best players year on year you'll lose your way as we know ourselves.

To be fair, Bayern triggered Gotze's release clause. Lewandowski ran his contract down and signed with Bayern on a free.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #108: Feb 14, 2015 03:20:49 pm
      F**k Dortmund, we aren't them.
      Peace. YNWA
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,484 posts | 231 
      Reply #109: Feb 14, 2015 03:37:19 pm

How can a team go from being 1st/2nd in recent seasons to bottom. I cant see an excuse of just selling 2 great players, there must be something going on behind the scenes.

Obviously players low on confidence
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #110: Feb 14, 2015 03:55:18 pm
      F**k Dortmund, we aren't them.
      Peace. YNWA

Yeh F**k 'em, not as if they have shown us any support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNtuW0NOw-M

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #111: Feb 14, 2015 04:03:34 pm

I love them but F**k them, it's not my team.

Quick Reply