Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Liverpool 1-0 Besiktas: In game and Post Match 'Half time in this tie' debate

Read 32492 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Besiktas: In game and Post Match 'Half time in this tie' debate
      Reply #575: Feb 20, 2015 11:55:15 am
      Lallana looked like he was putting in a performance to avoid selection against Southampton! And after reading his comments about 'I don't know how I'd play against them' I think it might be wise to grant him that wish.

I was shocked when I read those comments from Lallana. The last thing we need to be doing right now is putting people on the bench just because it's their old club and they feel nervous. He's earning a phat pay check, if he doesn't know how he will play and is trying his best not to get selected then simply don't pay him either. They should come hand in hand.

When it comes to situations like this there is never a thought for the club that spent a wad on you or the fans that now support you. It irritates me!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Besiktas: In game and Post Match 'Half time in this tie' debate
      Reply #576: Feb 20, 2015 12:06:53 pm
      I was shocked when I read those comments from Lallana. The last thing we need to be doing right now is putting people on the bench just because it's their old club and they feel nervous. He's earning a phat pay check, if he doesn't know how he will play and is trying his best not to get selected then simply don't pay him either. They should come hand in hand.

When it comes to situations like this there is never a thought for the club that spent a wad on you or the fans that now support you. It irritates me!

I think you guys are reading too much into things to be honest.

Lallana had an ok game, missed a sitter that he should have put away but was just as much as threat as any of our other midfielders. He was always around the ball and tracked back well. I have no idea why so many people want to pick on players because they didn't have a 10/10.

If you want to rip on someone for not playing to potential take a look at Sturridge...he was bloody awful :D

But I still love them both! ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #577: Feb 20, 2015 12:12:11 pm
      Fairly typical European game really, and a decent win.
      Skrtel did OK after a shaky start, but Coutinho, Sturridge, Can and Lallana were all a bit out of sorts.
      No problem, it happens.

They'll have to be a bit more open at their place, and I'm confident we'll go through.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #578: Feb 20, 2015 12:13:37 pm
      Gerrard is Club Captain and as such, is not only entitled to his opinion, but in this case is bang on!

as for his support of Mario... he's not a bad judge!

I disagree with this, Gerrard was an idiot to sit there post match and say that Balotelli was disprespectful, he should have just said great penalty and then later given Balotelli a bollocking for scoring one of the best penalties I've seen in ages.
      In all honesty who do you have more confidence in when it comes to penalties, Henderson who was utter sh*te last night or Balotelli who has taken hundreds of penalties in his career?
      When it comes to diplomacy Stevie has a hell of a lot to learn first thing is to crank his ego done a few notches. It must be galling for him to see the team play better without him in it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #579: Feb 20, 2015 12:25:33 pm
      I think you guys are reading too much into things to be honest.

Lallana had an ok game, missed a sitter that he should have put away but was just as much as threat as any of our other midfielders. He was always around the ball and tracked back well. I have no idea why so many people want to pick on players because they didn't have a 10/10.

If you want to rip on someone for not playing to potential take a look at Sturridge...he was bloody awful :D

But I still love them both! ;)

I'm not ripping into anybody for not playing to their potential, I never once mentioned anything of a sort. I'm just questioning Lallana when he said that he wasn't sure how he'd play against Southampton.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #580: Feb 20, 2015 12:29:41 pm
      I disagree with this, Gerrard was an idiot to sit there post match and say that Balotelli was disprespectful, he should have just said great penalty and then later given Balotelli a bollocking for scoring one of the best penalties I've seen in ages.
      In all honesty who do you have more confidence in when it comes to penalties, Henderson who was utter sh*te last night or Balotelli who has taken hundreds of penalties in his career?
      When it comes to diplomacy Stevie has a hell of a lot to learn first thing is to crank his ego done a few notches. It must be galling for him to see the team play better without him in it.

you piece in bold is completley irrelevent!!

and like it or not, he is entitled to say it! he was right to say it too...

I find it odd to why anyone can argue with this fact!!
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #581: Feb 20, 2015 12:43:15 pm
      Mignolet-8 (looked confident yet again, terrific save from Ba's 1 on 1)
      Can-6 (maybe his worst game in a Liverpool shirt, made 2 big mistakes in the space of a minute being led out of position and then tried to pass back to Mignolet without even looking and could have cost us a goal, looked more sure in midfield mind)
      Skrtel-7 (dealt with their threat pretty well, not much I can remember him doing wrong)
      Sakho-7 (some very good ball playing, specifically some 20/30 yard passes to Lallana and Coutinho that were almost always spot on)
      Ibe-8.5 (Great pace and tenacity throughout, although their left-back was awful he still had the beating of him every time and in the 2nd half they had 2/3 men on him every time, apart from one time when he won the penalty, huge talent!)
      Henderson-6 (A little lacklustre, missplaced a few simple passes in key positions but luckily never proved costly. Seemed a yard of pace off again, perhaps 23 games on the run is starting to show in his legs!)
      Allen-7 (Kept us ticking to some degree, made a few key turns and touches which opened up the field, just doesn't offer enough going forward for me)
      Moreno-7.5 (Livewire throughout and often had the beating of their right-back, just very frustrating that he is soo one-footed, once a defender has clocked him he must be the easiest player to deal with. However was great down the left, and a cracking effort from about 40 yards!, the ball ended up in the arms of the fella sat next to me haha)
      Lallana-7 (Good first half was getting the ball in some good positions but just couldnt unlock a tight defence that they had, quiet 2nd half)
      Coutinho-6.5 (Again looked a little tired, 20 games in a row hes started now! Never exactly done anything wrong but just lacked a little cutting edge)
      Sturridge-6 (Thought he was poor in my opinion, touch was heavy everytime and lost the ball around their box countless times, still doesn't look fully fit to me, hopefully he'll get back into scoring form ASAP)

Balotelli-7 (A lot more effort shown from him of late, tracking back a lot more and doing his all-round teamwork a lot better. Also allowed us to be a bit more direct, had a good few long balls put towards him and I think he won every single won, think him and Sturridge could be a hit, and of course great to get the winning goal, wont mention 'penalty-gate')
      Lovren-6.5 (Won every header I think and didn't really do anything wrong in his spell, interesting that Rodgers keeps bringing him on and moving Can forward, would be good if he can keep the defence as tight as it has been, allowing Can to play in his natural position, at least whilst Gerrard and Lucas are out)
      Sterling-6 (Too short of a performance to note anything really, although I do think him behind Sturridge and Balo is certainly the way forward, when we have 2 behind (i.e. Cout and Lallana) against a tight defence it becomes very difficult for us to get any penetration, whereas with Studge, Balo and Sterling we have pace and can be a bit more of a direct threat)

Overall pretty tight at the back, just a couple of mistakes which could have lead to goals but a clean sheet nevertheless! Recurring theme of lacking a bit of cutting edge, but hopefully once we've found our best forward 3, this can sort itself out.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #582: Feb 20, 2015 12:49:50 pm

It's quite simple really - it's not the 'Liverpool Way'. Especially by a still current employee!

If it was Carra, Redknapp, Souness or whoever else, then fair enough, they're paid to come out with spurious drivel.

On a side note, a bit of banter between Carra and Hamann regarding Mignolet's save last night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2961400/Jamie-Carragher-Dietmar-Hamann-disagree-Simon-Mignolet-former-Liverpool-team-mates-trade-friendly-blows-Twitter.html
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #583: Feb 20, 2015 12:55:30 pm

Really, you find it odd why someone would have an issue about a rapidly fading soon to be ex-player directly causing derogatory headlines about the club and possibly destabilising a player who is just starting to show a little bit of promise? Well I guess we must just have different opinions then as I think Balotelli was cheeky to take the penalty but there can be no doubt at all that he was by the far the most qualified player on that pitch to take a penalty and rather than hack away at his fragile ego I'd be applauding him for a great penalty publicly even if I later gave him a bollocking in private for "disrespecting" the temporary captain.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #584: Feb 20, 2015 01:25:03 pm
      Really, you find it odd why someone would have an issue about a rapidly fading soon to be ex-player directly causing derogatory headlines about the club and possibly destabilising a player who is just starting to show a little bit of promise? Well I guess we must just have different opinions then as I think Balotelli was cheeky to take the penalty but there can be no doubt at all that he was by the far the most qualified player on that pitch to take a penalty and rather than hack away at his fragile ego I'd be applauding him for a great penalty publicly even if I later gave him a bollocking in private for "disrespecting" the temporary captain.

the problem isnt what Gerrard said, it is with Mario and what he done...

why Gerrard is getting any stick is beyond me... I was over the moon he spoke out on the TV! too many players would of hid...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #585: Feb 20, 2015 01:45:45 pm
      I'm not ripping into anybody for not playing to their potential, I never once mentioned anything of a sort. I'm just questioning Lallana when he said that he wasn't sure how he'd play against Southampton.

Well what exactly is he supposed to say? He's not going to say "Well I'll probably struggle" and if he says "I'll have my best game against them and probably score" then he'd get rung up in the press and probably by the Soton players as well. I actually think he handled it perfectly.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #586: Feb 20, 2015 01:47:05 pm
      Anyone see Carra's tweets last night:

Jamie Carragher ‏@Carra23 15h15 hours ago
      Pressure pen late in a big European game you want your best man on it. Balotelli was that man!

Also just heard it was Henderson supposed to be on them not Sturridge, more reason for Mario to take it!!!

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #587: Feb 20, 2015 01:59:57 pm
      we need to rest CAN, Coutinho prior to this return leg so there both fresh as i think there legs are lacking just a little. Can for me has to now push on into the middle as Allen and hendo is the same as Lucas gerrard debate it just dont work together. Bring lovern back into the side on sat to get used to playing in the back 3 then stick to that threesome and put Can in as DCM next to hendo as that's the future unless we buy another top midfielder
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #588: Feb 20, 2015 02:05:38 pm
      Anyone see Carra's tweets last night:

Pressure pen late in a big European game you want your best man on it. Balotelli was that man!

Also just heard it was Henderson supposed to be on them not Sturridge, more reason for Mario to take it!!!

Haha, gotta love Carra's straight talking. I agree to be honest, when I saw Hendo holding the ball, I was petrified, so I was glad Balo took it. If Hendo felt up to it, he would/should have just said so. Stevie would've politely told Balo to do one.

I don't mind Balo asking to take it, it's up to the captain to make the final decision and he did on the night. I didn't like Studge's reaction though. If he didn't agree with the proceedings, he's gotta mek his voice heard behind closed doors, not in public, making the team look like squabbling kids.

And if I'm BR, I'd have quiet words with Balo to say well done lad, played well and good penalty, but remember, the captain's decision is final, and Studge to tell him never to argue with his own teammates on the pitch ever again. I'd also quietly change the penalty pecking order from Hendo to Balo if Balo's on the pitch.

Overall, we won not playing great, still in our hands, and the penalty debacle has been blown out of all proportions.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #589: Feb 20, 2015 02:11:39 pm
      This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 3m3 minutes ago
      BR: Of the players who were initially on the pitch, Henderson was penalty taker. But when Mario or Gerrard are on, they usually take them.

This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 2m2 minutes ago
      BR: What you don't like to see is the etiquette, 4 or 5 players around a football for the penalty.

wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #590: Feb 20, 2015 02:22:12 pm
      the problem isnt what Gerrard said, it is with Mario and what he done...

why Gerrard is getting any stick is beyond me... I was over the moon he spoke out on the TV! too many players would of hid...

That is completely bull. Gerrard should have kept his mouth shut on air and discussed his feelings behind closed doors. His comments will not help Liverpool. Lack of good judgement as far as I am concerned.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #591: Feb 20, 2015 02:46:59 pm
      That is completely bull. Gerrard should have kept his mouth shut on air and discussed his feelings behind closed doors. His comments will not help Liverpool. Lack of good judgement as far as I am concerned.

Gerrard wasn't wrong for commenting on live tv. He was wrong for criticizing Balotelli. Mario was the best penalty taker we had on the pitch, so he was right to take it. Carra's analysis was spot on.

Moving past the silly penalty-gate....

Mario had another good performance. If he keeps playing like he has been in the last 3 matches then he will have a successful career with LFC.

Studge is still shaking off the rust, but always looks a threat with his pace.

Ibe was incredible!! Huge future for this lad!!

We are well placed to advance. An away goal in Turkey will secure our place in the last 16.

Keep the momentum going into Sunday!!
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #592: Feb 20, 2015 02:55:38 pm
      Henderson deserved to be played by Mario like that.It looked like bad boy gets the girl first ;D. He shouldn't even be taking it in the first place. A real captain would let a better man take it for the sake of the team. Just proved he has no authority last night... However  we got a great win and judging by the game last night we played it slow and patient so congrats to the manager and the players..

YNWA
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #593: Feb 20, 2015 06:06:51 pm
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thought it was Joey aka CRK at first.

:lmao: :lmao:

Pfft. Looks nothing like a good looking Luis Suarez/Milan Baros/Ross off Friends hybrid.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #594: Feb 20, 2015 06:32:41 pm

Sterling, so good they named him twice.

Well done Redmen.

Thought Ibe was boss first half and Balotelli did well when he came on.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,309 posts | 1520 
      Reply #595: Feb 21, 2015 12:28:26 pm
      Well my first response to the pen being awarded, was, So who's gonna take this the. Hope to F**k it's not Henderson or it will sail 20 ft over the bar.
       Balo will bury that, he's not failed often from the spot.
      And hey ho ! clinicaly put away.
      When a player is that confident, let him have it. Better than a player who has a recent history of missing sitters. (Hendo)
      and Sturridge who was having a bit of a mare on the night.
       Anyway, a wins a win and we go to Besiktas with them needing to score, so they will open up a bit and we can do them with our pace on the counter.
       As for Stevies comments, should have shut the F**k up, and with all the divisions it has created, bet he wishes he had.
      I did notice, Can was insisting Sturridge congratulate Balo on scoring the pen. He was trying to avoid doing so. Looks like a bit of a rift there !
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #596: Feb 22, 2015 12:03:20 am

No its not.

if anyone is allowed to voice their opinion its Steven Gerrard. Im not up his arse on this becuase he is who he is, Im backing him becuase he is right!

His judgement was spot on.... Mario's on the other hand was not!

He pen was a good'un I may add, but that isnt the point!

What if he decides he want to take goal kicks off of Simon because he feels confident?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #597: Feb 22, 2015 05:31:01 am
      Finally getting a chance to watch the match and I can't believe Lallana missed that sitter.

Quick Reply