Penalty-gate

Read 19671 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Penalty-gate
      Feb 19, 2015 10:22:20 pm
      Penalty order (depending who's on the pitch)

Gerrard > Balotelli > Somebody else

Seems bizarre to me that Sturridge was trying to tell Henderson to take the ball back.

No need for some of Gerrard's post match comments either - not the time to have a crack at a player who has effectively won us our last three matches.

https://twitter.com/MostarLFC/status/568532989203709953

https://twitter.com/anfieldonline/status/568531602789105665

https://twitter.com/anfieldonline/status/568532191631650816
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Penalty-gate
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2015 10:28:22 pm
      Rule should be best penalty taker on the field takes the pen. That happened.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2015 10:32:26 pm
      Balo was wrong to take the ball. We got a goal but what does it do to team morale? Note the lack of players jumping on Balo when he scores, especially Sturrige and Hendo.

Yeah, we scored but without a team playing for each other, the wheels will fall off. Stevie was right with his comments.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2015 10:33:40 pm
      Brendan should have changed the order of the board when Balo was subbed on...not that difficult to yell over at Jordan and say..."Balo's on Pens"
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2015 10:34:21 pm
      Gerrard>Balotelli>Lambert>Lallana>>Coutinho>somebody else
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2015 10:35:40 pm
      Much a do about nothing.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2015 10:37:02 pm
      I think having an order of penalty takers for each game is a bit silly. Should be known that Gerrard, Balo and Lambert are the three best at the club and taking them in that order.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2015 10:37:22 pm
      The only problem I have is with why its even an issue in the first place. As said above the best penalty taker on the pitch should be taking it. If that's sturridge fair enough, if its hendo fair enough, but it was Mario and he took it. Somebody thinks that hendo is a better option than mario at pens? The problem is, why was Mario not on pen duty once he was on the pitch?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2015 10:38:30 pm
      The only problem I have is with why its even an issue in the first place. As said above the best penalty taker on the pitch should be taking it. If that's sturridge fair enough, if its hendo fair enough, but it was Mario and he took it. Somebody thinks that hendo is a better option than mario at pens? The problem is, why was Mario not on pen duty once he was on the pitch?

That one Brendan should have made clear; more an oversight and lack of communication than anything else.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2015 10:39:41 pm
      Balotelli is one of the best penalty takers in the world and done nothing wrong asking to take it.

If Hendo was the designated pen taker, he shouldn't have backed away from it and told Mario to F**k off, instead of throwing a sulk.

No need to Stevies comments either IMO, he's still club captain and has just criticised a team-mate who has just been turning opinions round, in front of the whole F***ing world, he can't be banging on about 'dressing room code' and then go do that.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2015 10:39:43 pm
      Not much to see here in all honesty. He scored the penalty and justified his arrogance/confidence. In fairness it's a boss man attitude that Liverpool have lacked too much in the last 5 years or so.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2015 10:40:36 pm
      Not to keen on players taking to social media to comment on " on the pitch incidents " when they are not on the pitch either. I think Mario was not under estimating the importance of getting that goal. 
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2015 10:46:47 pm
      I bit torn in retrospect on this one. I see where Gerrard is coming from but he should reserve those views for private.
      Ultimately I think fair play to Balo. I'd rather see him thrust himself into center stage than hide. I think he's an easy target for one criticism or another but infact he's working at it, he's keeping his mouth shut and he's now making an impact.
      I love the lad I so hope it works out for him here because I just feel there's a superstar waiting to burst onto the scene in him.
        It's been clear to me all season Gerrard's not been impressed by Balo. Who knows why but one thing I do know is you can't blame the lad for not being Suarez he is who he is.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2015 10:48:02 pm
      The only problem I have is with why its even an issue in the first place.

Because Henderson was on the pitch shaking his head, Sturridge is telling our next captain to go and get the ball back, the manager is dodging questions about it and the club captain is slating our match winner for the past three games on live TV.

Just when we don't need any off the field issues. 

Balotelli's done nothing all season and now he's finally on form and has won us the last three games then his OWN captain starts banging on about him being disrespectful.

Liverpool that.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2015 10:49:47 pm
      Best pen taker should take it.  End of story. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2015 10:50:15 pm
      Look, fair enough, there is a code for pen takers, that's fine no worries, however,
      It's late on in a pivotal game in our season, our main pen taker is sat with greasepaint on his mush making his studio debut, we need to win a match we have dominated and should have netted earlier,
      Suddenly, we're awarded a pen,a crucial opportunity to take a lead into the second leg,
      The on field skipper wants the responsibility to take it but acknowledges there is a more experienced better talented individual who more often than not will be successful, so he makes the sensible decision and hands the ball over,

A wise decision as it turns out, and one made for the team rather than for any individual, for me it shows maturity, and not lacking stones as some have mentioned, so kudos Jordan Henderson, a great captain in the making.

YNWA
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2015 10:50:41 pm
      @Carra23: Pressure pen late in a big European game you want your best man on it. Balotelli was that man!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2015 10:51:13 pm
      Penalty taker list can kiss my ass. Each match and moment is different, and the best man available should take it. Sometimes, the guy who should take it is having a sh*t day, or his game is off, or hes pissed and not thinking right, and someone else needs to step up. PLayers decide that on the pitch, not the manager, not a list.

And I agree Balo is one of the best takers , after Steven, hes our best shot
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2015 10:52:50 pm
      Look, fair enough, there is a code for pen takers, that's fine no worries, however,
      It's late on in a pivotal game in our season, our main pen taker is sat with greasepaint on his mush making his studio debut, we need to win a match we have dominated and should have netted earlier,
      Suddenly, we're awarded a pen,a crucial opportunity to take a lead into the second leg,
      The on field skipper wants the responsibility to take it but acknowledges there is a more experienced better talented individual who more often than not will be successful, so he makes the sensible decision and hands the ball over,

A wise decision as it turns out, and one made for the team rather than for any individual, for me it shows maturity, and not lacking stones as some have mentioned, so kudos Jordan Henderson, a great captain in the making.

YNWA

This
      The Steven Gerrard school of captaincy would be "give it here it's on me"
      Well Hendos isn't. That's fine by me
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2015 10:53:29 pm
      Disappointed with Sturridge trying to stir trouble and Gerrard as the club captain can't be trusted to keep his mouth shut when these things don't need to be aired in public.

You can just imagine the press headlines about Balotelli but at least Rodgers had the sense to bat it off.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2015 10:54:56 pm
      Yeah I do feel its easy to use Mario as a scarpegoat for a lot of issues. For me I still feel that it will get even more attention because of Gerrard's comments. Did he also comment on live TV? I was stuck with Emile heskey on 3e. ( although he doesn't take to social media to comment on players) . I hope that people don't take this up the wrong way but I do worry slightly that Gerrard may have a lot more to say about what's happening in the dressing room once he leaves. It just a hunch I may and hope I'm wrong.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2015 10:55:24 pm
      Henderson was smart enough to know Balotelli was clearly a better man to take it. It should be made clear before a match that if Balotelli is on the field he's next after Gerrard to take them.

Sturridge was the problem; he made an issue of it. Not the first time Sturridge's ego has caused issues on the field with team-mates.

I thought Gerrard's comments were unnecessary.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #22: Feb 19, 2015 10:55:39 pm
      mb459
      4 minutes ago
      Thank you hendo for let me take the penalty.. Stop drama now. We won that's what it count. We are a team and expecially we are Liverpool. Come on guys.

Mario's Instagram.

Quick Reply