Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Southampton FC v Liverpool FC 22nd Feb 4.15pm

Read 10504 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Southampton FC v Liverpool FC 22nd Feb 4.15pm
      Feb 20, 2015 10:21:20 pm
      A must win game for us to show our credentials to achieve the holy grail of Top 4.
      This in effect is a 6 pointer as we need to make sure one of our competitors does not pick up any points.

Brendan usually sticks with the same team so the back 3 pick themselves unless Future Captain has done enough to earn a recall and push Can further up into midfield, but I think we would miss his passing out from the back.
      Ibe and Moreno as wing backs unless Marko is preferred then for the front 3 I would pick Coutinho, Raheem and Sturridge with Balotelli coming on in the second half.

1-2 to the mighty Red Men
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Southampton FC v Liverpool FC 22nd Feb 4.05pm
      Reply #1: Feb 20, 2015 10:25:53 pm
      I actually think this would be a good game to rotate a couple of players and get in some fresh legs myself as we are at that stage of the season where the squad will have to be used. I would put Sterling back in there for Lallana and controversial as it might be, i'd throw Markovic in for young Jordan Ibe. It will be a tough game and i'd be happy enough with a draw to be honest, the big one I think will be at home to the mancs in terms of one we have to win.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Southampton FC v Liverpool FC 22nd Feb 4.15pm
      Reply #2: Feb 20, 2015 10:29:41 pm
      Markovic and Sterling in for Ibe and Lallana.
      Maybe start Balotelli and switch to a 3-4-1-2.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Feb 20, 2015 10:30:39 pm
      I actually think this would be a good game to rotate a couple of players and get in some fresh legs myself as we are at that stage of the season where the squad will have to be used. I would put Sterling back in there for Lallana and controversial as it might be, i'd throw Markovic in for young Jordan Ibe. It will be a tough game and i'd be happy enough with a draw to be honest, the big one I think will be at home to the mancs in terms of one we have to win.

would have sterling back but it will be a cold day in hell when i will be happy with a draw, the game is there for us to win as Southampton recent performances haven't been great
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Feb 20, 2015 10:57:00 pm
      Markovic and Sterling in for Ibe and Lallana.
      Maybe start Balotelli and switch to a 3-4-1-2.

YEah, been thinking about the 3412 formation. I would start Balo with Sturridge as I feel Southampton will be defensive and sit deep. Not sure which #10 to go for, Sterling, Coutinho or Lallana? As for the wing backs, I would like to see Markovic on for Ibe with Hendo and Allen in midfield.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #5: Feb 20, 2015 11:10:48 pm
      Mignolet
            Skrtel
        Can---------Sakho

Henderson---Allen
      Ibe-------------------Moreno
                   Markovic
      Balotell-------------------Sturridge

I think a rest will do Coutinho good and I don't think Sterling is ready.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Feb 20, 2015 11:13:20 pm
      YEah, been thinking about the 3412 formation. I would start Balo with Sturridge as I feel Southampton will be defensive and sit deep. Not sure which #10 to go for, Sterling, Coutinho or Lallana? As for the wing backs, I would like to see Markovic on for Ibe with Hendo and Allen in midfield.

Start Sterling, give Coutinho a break.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #7: Feb 20, 2015 11:16:35 pm
      I would start Balo for this - I think if he takes this chance, it could prove to be a decisive moment in his career for us. I was screaming for him to take that pen and whether or not it has created friction in the dressing room, the right person took it and scored. He is starting to show some of that x-factor and experience our team has needed for some time.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #8: Feb 20, 2015 11:37:57 pm
      --------------Mignolet---------------
      -----Can------Skrtel-----Sakho-----
      -Ibe-Henderson-Allen-Moreno-
      --------Markovic---Sterling--------
      --------------Sturridge---------------

Subs: Ward, Manquillo, Lovren, Coutinho, Lallana, Balotelli, Lambert.

Give Coutinho a break, bench Lallana if his 'head' is not right, bring Balo on at hour mark as 2nd striker if circumstances dictate like recent games.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #9: Feb 20, 2015 11:41:03 pm
      I challenge anyone to provide a good argument as to why this is not the biggest game of our season so far.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #10: Feb 20, 2015 11:42:00 pm
      I challenge anyone to provide a good argument as to why this is not the biggest game of our season so far.

6 pointer. Massive.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #11: Feb 21, 2015 12:10:08 am

Just some thoughts on the phrase "six pointer". In terms of the general meaning of the term it is accurate and useful - we get 3 points and deny the other team 3 points, but on a more precise level it isn't quite numerically accurate.
      3 points for us yes, and then the denial of what would be the expected points for a team in the area of the league you are competing in; Ie Approximately 1.8 points per game against top 4 teams (as that is there expected ppg return from any game as it takes you to 70) or 1.05 points for teams in a relegation fight (teams that are getting relegated lose more often than not, so the denial of points is less relevant), or even 2.3 points for title chasing team.
      So six pointers can vary in actual value, and indeed those values vary from year to year as the number of points required to achieve an objective does.

:cool-smiley-027: musings
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Feb 21, 2015 04:43:48 am
      4    Southampton   25   14   4   7   38   17   +21   46   1.84   48%   28%
      5    Arsenal           25   13   6   6   47   28   +19   45   1.80   32%   8%
      6    Tottenham   25   13   4   8   39   34   +5   43   1.72   24%   20%
      7    Liverpool           25   12   6   7   36   29   +7   42   1.68   36%   24%

When we beat them, we will get 45 pts and narrow it down to 1 pts behind them, they are on 46 pts now.

Lets go reds, up we come.  :aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #13: Feb 21, 2015 06:52:53 am
      Just some thoughts on the phrase "six pointer". In terms of the general meaning of the term it is accurate and useful - we get 3 points and deny the other team 3 points, but on a more precise level it isn't quite numerically accurate.
      3 points for us yes, and then the denial of what would be the expected points for a team in the area of the league you are competing in; Ie Approximately 1.8 points per game against top 4 teams (as that is there expected ppg return from any game as it takes you to 70) or 1.05 points for teams in a relegation fight (teams that are getting relegated lose more often than not, so the denial of points is less relevant), or even 2.3 points for title chasing team.
      So six pointers can vary in actual value, and indeed those values vary from year to year as the number of points required to achieve an objective does.

:cool-smiley-027: musings

Wow, you do know that you would absolutely kill a conversation down the boozer coming out with that. But thank you for some nice stats and facts.

I think we'll need a Benayoun style last minute winner.

Fingers crossed we can do it.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,709 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Feb 21, 2015 07:09:18 am
      I won't be able to create the Live thread :(

I won't play Lallana for this game if his head is not right.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15: Feb 21, 2015 08:41:23 am

Heard a short interview with him earlier, his head seems like it's in the right place. Quietly confident for this one. Shhh.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,709 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #16: Feb 21, 2015 09:12:18 am
      Heard a short interview with him earlier, his head seems like it's in the right place. Quietly confident for this one. Shhh.

Then he is a good asset to have in the team.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17: Feb 21, 2015 11:25:39 am
      I'd start Mario, reckon he showed enough form to get a chance / maybe deserves a bit of backing based on penogate where he made the right decision / is fresher than some of the others. Would leave Lallana on the bench after his gushfest on how he much he loves Southampton. Then bring Markovic back for Ibe, who did well against Besiktas but his final ball was generally poor, though there's not much between the two.

Migs
         Can Skrtel Sakho
      Markovic Hendo Allen Moreno
      Sturridge Balotelli Sterling

Would rest Cou, but think BR probably won't start Mario though after his latest comments on how he needs to work harder so Cou might start
      http://www.espnfc.co.uk/liverpool/story/2308951/mario-balotelli-must-increase-his-work-ratesays-liverpools-brendan-rodgers

Expecting tough game but we are the form team, but we should go in confident. Will the Thurs night game catchup with us? Hope not. CMON BOYS!!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #18: Feb 21, 2015 12:17:45 pm
      Wouldn't surprise me to see Markovic come in considering his European ban but I wouldn't go for that personally. Also think Balotelli will miss out despite his recent performances which would be a shame. Team for me:

Mignolet; Can, Skrtel, Sakho; Ibe, Hendo, Allen, Moreno; Sterling, Balotelli, Sturridge.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Feb 21, 2015 12:34:03 pm
      I won't be able to create the Live thread

Tut tut Clint, very disappointed, how dare you take a day off, some might question your commitment   :f_whistle:

YNWA
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #20: Feb 21, 2015 12:38:12 pm
      Coutinho definitely needs a rest and Lallana has been a bit off of late so would perhaps be tempted to start with Sterling, Sturridge + Balotelli. Or if not Markovic over Balotelli, depends how B-Rod sees it.

Mignolet
                        Can   Skrtel  Sakho
                 Ibe  Henderson Allen  Moreno
                                Sterling
                        Sturridge  Balotelli

Ward; Lovren, Johnson; Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana; Borini
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Feb 21, 2015 12:40:41 pm
      Le Tissier is a right dick, on Soccer Saturday now saying that Balotelli would have taken the ball off Gerrard if he was on the pitch. Obviously he wouldn't.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #22: Feb 21, 2015 12:41:04 pm

You do know that if we lose ,your heads on the block for the Wum's!

Quick Reply