Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      37 (28.2%)
      Can
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      41 (31.3%)
      Lovren
      1 (0.8%)
      Henderson
      16 (12.2%)
      Allen
      7 (5.3%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Ibe
      10 (7.6%)
      Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      15 (11.5%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Johnson
      2 (1.5%)
      Moreno
      2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: Feb 26, 2015 06:23:19 pm

Southampton 0:2 Liverpool. In game & post match debate.

Read 44352 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Re: Southampton 0:2 Liverpool. In game & post match debate.
      Reply #713: Feb 22, 2015 10:42:35 pm
      Migs -8 Great stop with boot kicking and commanding area improving . Good save off freekick would have spilled a month ago

Markovic-4 Caught out early and never recovered. No end product and struggled defensively

Skyrtl- 8 MOM handled everything thrown at him

Can- 7 Looked a little shaky at times but strong as an ox would love to see him in midfield for a spell . Future Captain

Lovren 5.5 Not great especially first  half no composure at times and poor positionally at times also

Ibe 7 Kids so laid back nothing fazes him good bursts and stuck to defensive duties

Allen 6 steady lucky not to give pen away

Hendo-7 Definately more confidence when Gerrard not in side

Lallana 5 poor looked overawed and seemed petrified to try something

Coutinho 7 What a strike and looked most likely to open them up

Sterling 6 anonymous first half but in right place to score the crucial goal

Subs
      Johnson 6
      Moreno 7 definately improved the left side
      Sturridge 6 Not quite at races yet and needs to look up more and see bigger picture
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #714: Feb 22, 2015 10:47:20 pm
      Can- 7 Looked a little shaky at times but strong as an ox would love to see him in midfield for a spell . Future Captain

Agree, this lad does indeed have captain material.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #715: Feb 22, 2015 11:28:52 pm
      Didnt deserve the win but will take anything that gets us closer.

Do not know why you think we did not deserve the win the more clinical and dangerous team won.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #716: Feb 23, 2015 12:26:51 am
      ?

Where's the Brendan Rodgers 'out' brigade now eh???? Gone very quiet these last few games  :roll:

YNWA

I don't know about the Brendan Rodgers out brigade but I do know we have lost some good REDS and posters from LFCREDS in recent times. Maybe you should be asking yourself why have they left instead of criticising them for having an opinion on the club that they have supported for many years.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #717: Feb 23, 2015 12:27:20 am
      Mignolet-8
      Lovren-7
      Skrtel-8.5
      Can-7
      Ibe-8
      Henderson-8
      Allen-7.5
      Markovic-6
      Lallana-6.5
      Coutinho-7.5
      Sterling-7

Moreno-6.5
      Sturridge-6.5
      Johnson-6
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #718: Feb 23, 2015 12:44:19 am
      Where did you see the goals kid?

It was such a good goal they keep showing it on the sports segment of the news here in New Zealand.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #719: Feb 23, 2015 01:02:54 am
      I don't know about the Brendan Rodgers out brigade but I do know we have lost some good REDS and posters from LFCREDS in recent times. Maybe you should be asking yourself why have they left instead of criticising them for having an opinion on the club that they have supported for many years.
      How about you lay off one of the most respected posters (and moderators) on this entire forum.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #720: Feb 23, 2015 01:12:04 am
      Massive win in horrid conditions.

Very fortunate with some penalty calls and Migs was lucky to stay on but we were due a bit of luck I thought.

Let's do it all again next Sunday.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #721: Feb 23, 2015 01:50:03 am
      The old cliche "game of two halves" springs to mind here. First half we looked like we'd get twatted by a team playing on Prinny Park the savvy. Second half we looked like no side in the world would score against us. It's amazing just how one team can perform so differently within the same game. The first half we never got into any sustained pressure in the Southampton half, the second half we controlled for much of it.

Coutinho's screamer was goal of the season. Don't care what happens between now and May, nothing will beat that. Sterling's was a goal but weren't a great finish, more poor goalkeeping. But we'll take it. The ref was laughable.

Mignolet continues to put in quality performances. Being dropped was the best thing to happen to Simple Simon. He's been on fire for most of 2015, commanding, decisive and confident. Has to keep it up of course, one bad performance and the knives will be back out for him.

Lovren summed up our two half performance better than anybody else today. First half he made me long for the days of Traore, Kvarme, or Pelligrino at the heart of our defence again. Second half, he was as good as anybody in my opinion. Really solid second half. Nothing flash, just good proper defending.

Skrtel, like Mignolet, continues to flourish in this new system. I keep saying it, he's been the one the system has brought the best out of more than anybody else. Today he started a little slowly, Pelle getting the better of him in the early goings. But as the game went on the big Slovak just took control of the situation and won everything.

Can was a very lucky boy in the opening thirty seconds. For me it was a penalty, he pulled the fella back. Slightly, I admit. But in today's game, winning the ball constitutes a foul at times, pulling a player back certainly does. It'd also of been a red card. He got away with it though, then had a difficult first half, clearly struggling on the left hand side. Second half, like the rest of the boys grew into it and showed some real qualities.

Ibe proved once again why some of the money we spent in the summer was wasted. We had a quality player just waiting in the wings. And F**k me, this isn't even his natural position, yet he's putting in the best performances of any Liverpool player on a regular basis. He knows his job and is doing it great. He drives us forward because he runs with the ball, his defensive work is a lot better than most wingers in their prime, let alone teenagers trying to make their way in the game. Fantastic!

Henderson was a little slow to get going but grew into the game. Started dictating things, made us tick and showed he's ready to lead this team. Could of easily hid after the Beskitas penalty incident but instead stepped up and showed his leadership. Very good from Jordy.

Allen put in your typical Joe Allen performance. And that's not a compliment. I don't wanna get into slagging him off again though for giving us nothing, so I won't. Oh and he too should of been sent off for giving away a penalty.

Markovic, like Ibe, proved why some of the money we spent in the summer was wasted. It may not turn out to be but at the minute, 20 million on Lazzy is looking like a waste. The fella looked completely out of his depth today. I mean to be fair, Clyne is the best right back in the League and will torment a lot of players down the left hand side but he made Markovic look like he belonged at Hartlepool rather than Liverpool. Mind you, he got an assist didn't he?

Lallana was on the pitch. Lallana was subbed. That was about all I saw from him. Great.

Coutinho was on the pitch, scored the goal of the season, had two or three nice link ups with Sterling but overall didn't really do enough to warrant a lot of praise. His goal was special, can't praise it highly enough. But overall, Little Phil, was highly invisible.

Sterling scored a very scruffy goal but, like our other attacking three, put in a very poor performance. I also didn't get why he stayed up top and Sturridge played out wide when Danny came on. But if that's how he performs when wanting a new deal, I'd hate to see somebody who didn't wanna be here.

Moreno made a huge difference. He sured up the defence. It wasn't all down to Albert of course but his arrival on the pitch made a huge difference. I think it helped just to have a natural left footer on the left hand side. (not being a c**t or anything, but what foot is Markovic?)

Sturridge was at his greedy b***ard worst. Looked as if he was trying to show off today. Rather than doing it when it was necessary, he instead done it at all times. And very rarely did it come off today.

Johnson made his long awaited return to the first team and I'd like to say it was great to see him back but we all know it'd be a lie. He better not replace Ibe in the team.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #722: Feb 23, 2015 02:01:00 am
      Don't know if it's been mentioned but '5 successive clean sheets in 30 years' under Rodgers of all managers  :D that stat alone would be like rubbing salt into the wounds for his detractors.

Anyway, that was a fantastic result that highlighted character, resilience and determination that is so often needed in tough away fixtures.

Well done lads, made us proud.

Mignolet MOTM, looks a completely different keeper. Even when our reshuffled defense were sometimes at 6's & 7's he looked reassured guarding our net. Special mention to Skertel too who has also been instrumental in our defensive turn around which of course has been orchestrated by Brendan.

We looked much more of a threat when Sturridge came on, who also has the ability to hold the ball up as well as causing defenses trouble. Good and timely sub that from Brendan.

Coutinho's goal was a wonder goal, perfect, could watch that over and over again.

Another special mention to the away fans as they could out sing the entirety of home supporters, people of this ilk deserve to go to more home matches.

Well in lads!

:scarf:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #723: Feb 23, 2015 03:50:27 am

The shithouses are no where to be seen after they infested the boards for months.

The people who defended him were posting then, and posting now.

The people posting crap then have fu**ed off. "Good reds" my ass.

Don't meant to sound "us vs them" but if you have such strong opinions don't be so shallow to hide when things turn against your views.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #724: Feb 23, 2015 06:11:39 am
      The shithouses are no where to be seen after they infested the boards for months.

The people who defended him were posting then, and posting now.

The people posting crap then have fu**ed off. "Good reds" my ass.

Don't meant to sound "us vs them" but if you have such strong opinions don't be so shallow to hide when things turn against your views.

Since when have I ever hidden from anything on this forum. I have strong opinion on anything to do with Liverpool Football Club which I am entitled to, after supporting the club  for  68 years since I first saw a match at Anfield. I have seen more highs and lows John than you will probably ever see regarding the club.
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015 07:13:01 am by Billy1 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #725: Feb 23, 2015 06:55:21 am
      How about you lay off one of the most respected posters (and moderators) on this entire forum.

That is your opinion which you are entitled to, but just remember I am entitled to my opinion also. I was brought up understanding that respect has to be earned, in other words it is a 2 way thing.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #726: Feb 23, 2015 07:58:30 am
      I was never this happy about being wrong, I predicted a draw 1-1. Don't tell the missus this one.
      Well done Reds and keep it up. Hard fought win, these go down better :)

I only saw the second half.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #727: Feb 23, 2015 08:22:04 am
      Hats off to Mignolet, he looks like a very good GK now and he was the leader of the defense yesterday. Can should have played as RCB and Lovren at LCB IMO. I'm not confident at all with Lovren in the defense and I think Can is better there given that he is right footed while Lovren uses both feet with the same ease. The defense was very good.

I was very disappointed by the midfield and I think that it was down to BR. He put two young wingers as wingbacks while we had Allen in midfield. Allen cannot defend as a DM and he gave no control in midfield. Hendo neither but it is not his role. If we had had Lucas or even Gerrard as DM we would have bossed this game.

I'm happy with strikers. How many times we created so many occasions but didn't score. Yesterday we created only a few (4 or five) and scored 2 goals! We can all agree that none of our strikers have been good overall but they did the job marvelously: they scored!

This game confirms that next season's priority is buying a good CM to replace Gerrard and a DM to strengthen the midfield. Allen is average. I had hope he wuld live up to expectations but he is failing.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #728: Feb 23, 2015 08:38:03 am
      Markovic, like Ibe, proved why some of the money we spent in the summer was wasted. It may not turn out to be but at the minute, 20 million on Lazzy is looking like a waste. The fella looked completely out of his depth today. I mean to be fair, Clyne is the best right back in the League and will torment a lot of players down the left hand side but he made Markovic look like he belonged at Hartlepool rather than Liverpool. Mind you, he got an assist didn't he?

Moreno made a huge difference. He sured up the defence. It wasn't all down to Albert of course but his arrival on the pitch made a huge difference. I think it helped just to have a natural left footer on the left hand side. (not being a c**t or anything, but what foot is Markovic?)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Markovic by saying he is good and that he is a good transfer.

BUT we cannot judge him while he is playing as left wing back!? Markovic is an attacking midfielder, right? He plays on the wings but he is mostly an AM like Coutinho. Would you judge Lallana or Coutinho badly if they failed to play decently as left wing back with a midfield which can hardly defend? I don't think so. Markovic was very very poor but we cannot judge him if he does not play as AM or at least winger in the team. We must be fair.
      The Welsh Dragon
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 49 posts |
      Reply #729: Feb 23, 2015 08:39:39 am
      We were very lucky to win that to be perfectly honest.

How is Allen so low on the poll?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #730: Feb 23, 2015 08:40:09 am

I was very disappointed by the midfield and I think that it was down to BR. He put two young wingers as wingbacks while we had Allen in midfield. Allen cannot defend as a DM and he gave no control in midfield. Hendo neither but it is not his role. If we had had Lucas or even Gerrard as DM we would have bossed this game.

This game confirms that next season's priority is buying a good CM to replace Gerrard and a DM to strengthen the midfield. Allen is average. I had hope he wuld live up to expectations but he is failing.

More like this post confirms you dont really know much about football, Allen was perfectly fine as a DM and if you think playing Gerrard there we would have bossed this game then you have not watched any of our games earlier in the season.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #731: Feb 23, 2015 08:53:01 am
      More like this post confirms you dont really know much about football, Allen was perfectly fine as a DM and if you think playing Gerrard there we would have bossed this game then you have not watched any of our games earlier in the season.

Allen did not defend properly and was rarely if not never influential when it came to passing.
      He did not defend like a DM should/would and his passing did not have any influence on the game. Next time Lucas or Gerrard play as DM just pay more attention to their positioning, the rate at which they ask for the ball and the type of passes they make.  Allen is Allen, every player is unique but when it comes to defending and passing Allen doesn't come even close to the level of other DMs in the league.

I'm not saying Gerrard would have bossed the game but when he plays as DM, although he is average there, he tries his best to defend, would have hardly tackled like Allen(which should have been a penalty - Allen did not even touch the ball), and Gerrard's postionning as DM is much better that Allen's. I do not even have to mention passing.

The role of a DM is to break down attack firstly and then if he is good enough, pass the ball to strikers to start attacks or at least get the ball out of defense without losing possession. Allen hardly did that yesterday. Even Spearing would have played better.

Gerrard has hardly bossed any games for years now but when he plays as DM, he has influence on the game: he defends and passes properly(although the adverb is very weak when taling about Gerrard's passes).
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #732: Feb 23, 2015 09:16:20 am
      Allen did not defend properly and was rarely if not never influential when it came to passing.
      He did not defend like a DM should/would and his passing did not have any influence on the game. Next time Lucas or Gerrard play as DM just pay more attention to their positioning, the rate at which they ask for the ball and the type of passes they make.  Allen is Allen, every player is unique but when it comes to defending and passing Allen doesn't come even close to the level of other DMs in the league.

I'm not saying Gerrard would have bossed the game but when he plays as DM, although he is average there, he tries his best to defend, would have hardly tackled like Allen(which should have been a penalty - Allen did not even touch the ball), and Gerrard's postionning as DM is much better that Allen's. I do not even have to mention passing.

The role of a DM is to break down attack firstly and then if he is good enough, pass the ball to strikers to start attacks or at least get the ball out of defense without losing possession. Allen hardly did that yesterday. Even Spearing would have played better.

Gerrard has hardly bossed any games for years now but when he plays as DM, he has influence on the game: he defends and passes properly(although the adverb is very weak when taling about Gerrard's passes).

:lmao: :lmao: But you said Gerrard would have bossed that game, now he has not bossed a game as a DM for a few years.
       I will just leave it there!!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #733: Feb 23, 2015 09:26:05 am
      :lmao: :lmao: But you said Gerrard would have bossed that game, now he has not bossed a game as a DM for a few years.
       I will just leave it there!!

Sorry if I did not express myself properly, I don't speak English.

What I mean is that Allen did not play the DM role properly. Gerrard would have done better and Lucas too(but it's logic - he's a DM). I don't expect Lucas or Gerrard to boss the midfield but I expect the midfield of our team to control the game completely if we have had a decent DM in the team: be it Lucas or Gerrard.

BUT read properly what I wrote: " If we had had Lucas or even Gerrard as DM we would have bossed this game. "

I wrote WE, I did not write : "If Gerrard had played, he would have bossed this midfield."

It's like saying "If Moreno had started, our defense would have bossed this game"

As I said, I don't speak English, but I am trying my best to express myself and it seems you are not trying to understand my point.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #734: Feb 23, 2015 10:03:35 am

Is that you, Joe?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #735: Feb 23, 2015 10:27:06 am

I'm surprised he has any votes, in no way whatsoever was that performance worthy of Man Of The Match, it was perfunctory at best and, from our starting XI, he was maybe a shade better than Lallana and Markovic, but that's all.

Quick Reply