Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      37 (28.2%)
      Can
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      41 (31.3%)
      Lovren
      1 (0.8%)
      Henderson
      16 (12.2%)
      Allen
      7 (5.3%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Ibe
      10 (7.6%)
      Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      15 (11.5%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Johnson
      2 (1.5%)
      Moreno
      2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: Feb 26, 2015 06:23:19 pm

Southampton 0:2 Liverpool. In game & post match debate.

Read 44399 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Southampton 0:2 Liverpool. In game & post match debate.
      Reply #759: Feb 23, 2015 04:36:50 pm
      A weird, bitty game that rarely flowed due to the weather, but 3 points is all that matters.

Coutinho must surely be a contender for goal of the season with that strike.

Ibe continues to impress, and I gave him my motm, mostly because he put in a very good defensive shift that belied his youth.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #760: Feb 23, 2015 07:24:24 pm
      That's exactly how you sound.

If you are going to give him credit for the past few months (as I have) then you have to be critical of his first few months (as I was). 

He rightly deserved criticism of what happened from July to November just as he deserves credit for what has happened December to February.

There are too many people on both sides of the fence here who somehow think that support/criticism of Rodgers should be placed ahead of Liverpool FC. 

Regardless what your opinion on anything, be it a player, manager, owners, tactics, etc. if someone is so strong in a belief to go all out and spam the boards with that belief, then at least man up to it and post when things turn against that view.

He deserved criticism and i highlighted some things i wasn't happy with too, but there's criticism and then there's just verbal abuse and insults.

Since when have I ever hidden from anything on this forum. I have strong opinion on anything to do with Liverpool Football Club which I am entitled to, after supporting the club  for  68 years since I first saw a match at Anfield. I have seen more highs and lows John than you will probably ever see regarding the club.

Don't know why you thought i was talking about you, Billy. You posting on the boards right now shows i wasn't talking about you. But there are quite a few (and i think it's obvious who) who have disappeared from the boards since we started winning again.

I have strong opinion on anything to do with Liverpool Football Club which I am entitled to, after supporting the club  for  68 years since I first saw a match at Anfield. I have seen more highs and lows John than you will probably ever see regarding the club.

Don't really care for this, Billy.

Any fan of any team has opinions on their team whether they've supported them for 68 days, or 68 years. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but i can spot a shithouse when they disappear from sharing their opinions as soon as they get proved wrong after being so vociferous (again, not aimed at you).
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #761: Feb 23, 2015 09:08:25 pm
      Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Markovic by saying he is good and that he is a good transfer.

BUT we cannot judge him while he is playing as left wing back!? Markovic is an attacking midfielder, right? He plays on the wings but he is mostly an AM like Coutinho. Would you judge Lallana or Coutinho badly if they failed to play decently as left wing back with a midfield which can hardly defend? I don't think so. Markovic was very very poor but we cannot judge him if he does not play as AM or at least winger in the team. We must be fair.

I judge a player based on where they're playing. Just because it's not their position, is tough sh*t. If I can't judge Markovic for being sh*t as a left sided midfielder, I can't judge Can for being a centre half either. I can't judge centre forward Ray Kennedy for being one of the greatest left sided midfielders to ever grace the Anfield turf.

Just because it's not his natural position doesn't mean we can't judge them by their performances in that position. I, not too long ago, was talking about how well Lazzy was playing on the right hand side. Clearly I can't do that because he should be playing where Coutinho and Lallana are.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #762: Feb 23, 2015 10:24:02 pm
      I judge a player based on where they're playing. Just because it's not their position, is tough sh*t. If I can't judge Markovic for being sh*t as a left sided midfielder, I can't judge Can for being a centre half either. I can't judge centre forward Ray Kennedy for being one of the greatest left sided midfielders to ever grace the Anfield turf.

Just because it's not his natural position doesn't mean we can't judge them by their performances in that position. I, not too long ago, was talking about how well Lazzy was playing on the right hand side. Clearly I can't do that because he should be playing where Coutinho and Lallana are.

That's fair. He had a pretty poor game and I don't think it was down to him being out of position as he has looked good on the left before as well (Arsenal I believe he played left wingback). I'm more restrained about criticisms of players out of position though - that is to say; I criticize within the context that they are playing in.
      For example; lets say Rodgers goes nuts and plays Sakho up front and he is sh*te, I wouldn't really feel it fair to say he was bad, just totally misused. This doesn't really apply to Markovic though as we know he can defend and we know he can play as a LWB
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #763: Feb 24, 2015 06:52:40 am
      That is your opinion which you are entitled to, but just remember I am entitled to my opinion also. I was brought up understanding that respect has to be earned, in other words it is a 2 way thing.

I actually think it's in poor taste that a member of this forum's 'staff' finds the need to antognise.  I'd imagine it's pretty hard to moderate objectively when you've tossed in the proverbial hand grenade yourself.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #764: Feb 24, 2015 08:59:50 am
      I don't understand why people are arguing??

We won 2-0 away from home against a side that has shown everyone this season that they are in the race for Europe till perhaps the end of the season.

Lets F***ing celebrate and bring on Besiktas and then Citeh!

Come on You Might F***ing Redmen!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #765: Feb 24, 2015 08:20:09 pm
      This is the type of game where you turn up, do what you've got to do and get out out of there. We didn't play well, not by any stretch of the imagination but at the same time, nor did they. We could easily have lost this game with the form and confidence they have shown this season and go back to before Christmas and we probably would have lost it.

It was great goal by Coutinho but again a lackluster performance from him. Same can be said for Sterling, took the goal well but done virtually nothing for the rest of the game. Joe Allen was a mess, god knows how we got away with not giving away a penalty and Lallana was no where to be seen and you can say this about pretty much everyone on the day. But for a change we made our chances count, so often we have 20+ shots and fail to score or fail to get more than the one. We didn't have many shots but we made them count when we did and although we weren't great I can't remember them having any bits of play that stood out.

Another clean sheet along with a win against a team that could have pulled out a fairly good lead over us in the table whilst taking advantage of other teams around us dropping points is a successful day at the office which will only boost the confidence and give us a boost going into the next game.

Well in Reds. Wasn't pretty but made it count.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #766: Feb 24, 2015 08:26:28 pm
      Since when have I ever hidden from anything on this forum. I have strong opinion on anything to do with Liverpool Football Club which I am entitled to, after supporting the club  for  68 years since I first saw a match at Anfield. I have seen more highs and lows John than you will probably ever see regarding the club.

I have no idea why supporting a club longer than member 'X' on the forum somehow makes you superior.

I'm sick and tired of older members implying I don't understand something about today's football because I wasn't around during the glory years. I can frame that differently and claim we have more of a desire for success because we haven't witnessed any glory years - but I won't say that because you know what? We all desire the same thing equally.

It's a poor excuse and the same card is used time and time again from elder members to somehow think you are superior in your views. Let's just remember that it's the older members - such as yourself and Eurored - who have been warned about your conduct on the forum with personal abuse towards fellow members.

Hardly the actions of a seasoned ambassador of the club that you older folk like to portray yourself as.
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 11:46:13 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #767: Feb 24, 2015 11:09:53 pm
      I have no idea why supporting a club longer than member 'X' on the forum somehow makes you superior.

I'm sick and tired of being told I don't understand something about today's football because I wasn't around during the glory years. I can frame that differently and claim we have more of a desire for success because we haven't witnessed it - but I won't say that because you know what? We all desire the same thing equally.

It's a poor excuse and the same card is used time and time again to somehow think you are superior in your views. Let's just remember that it's the older members - such as yourself and Eurored - who have been warned about your conduct on the forum with personal abuse towards fellow members.

Hardly the actions of a seasoned ambassador of the club that you older folk like to portray yourself as.

Can you, show me were I have ever stated I am superior to anyone. One of the posters I most respect on this forum is DLS,he has done his homework on L.F.C. and writes facts that stand up about the club. Like you I am sick and tired about being told I don't  understand the game today as it has changed. What has never changed is the team that puts the ball in the opposition net wins the match. Also let's see how you go re warnings when you have posted for over 7 years on LFCRED. There have been some very knowledgeable posters on this forum received warnings but you would know that wouldn't you or are you just sh*t stirring. It might be prudent to let us know your age or are you ashamed of that.
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 11:35:00 pm by Billy1 »

Quick Reply