Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Green Bar loads slowly on Windows 7 & 8?

Read 4157 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Green Bar loads slowly on Windows 7 & 8?
      Feb 24, 2015 10:37:19 pm
      For any PC techies, help would greatly be appreciated.

I have Windows 7 and every time I search a folder for a file and that file happens to be a video, Windows stops 'responding'. I have to wait for the green bar to load up across that folder and it takes an entirety. It's shithouse. Even if the folder has only two files in and one is a video file, I simply can't open it and click on the video file, I'm waiting at the peril of the slow green bar.

Apparently this is a 'bug' in the Windows system since its Vista days, and it happens now on Windows 7 and 8.

I've been online to have a look if I can sort this out myself. Many people seem to have the same problem: http://www.techspot.com/news/52508-fix-windows-folder-unresponsive-slow-behavior-green-loading-bar.html

Something to do with indexing apparently, however, when I follow these instructions or similar ones, it doesn't solve my problem. It isn't just the 'downloads' file either, it seems to be every folder that has a video file within it.

Any help or advice would be truly appreciated.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Green Bar loads slowly on Windows 7 & 8?
      Reply #1: Aug 14, 2015 11:19:21 pm

I have Windows 7 and every time I search a folder for a file and that file happens to be a video, Windows stops 'responding'. I have to wait for the green bar to load up across that folder and it takes an entirety. It's shithouse. Even if the folder has only two files in and one is a video file, I simply can't open it and click on the video file, I'm waiting at the peril of the slow green bar.

Apparently this is a 'bug' in the Windows system since its Vista days, and it happens now on Windows 7 and 8.

I've been online to have a look if I can sort this out myself. Many people seem to have the same problem: http://www.techspot.com/news/52508-fix-windows-folder-unresponsive-slow-behavior-green-loading-bar.html

Something to do with indexing apparently, however, when I follow these instructions or similar ones, it doesn't solve my problem. It isn't just the 'downloads' file either, it seems to be every folder that has a video file within it.

Indexing is always fu**ed, get a third party programme that builds your thumbnail cache and never delete the cache in disk cleanup. I can't stand this myself, being so slow, I've resorted to turning indexing off yet again.
      Btw you can use alternatives to file explorer, again third party freeware, sorry for not giving software names. just generic search on google or whatever.
      You might also have a corrupt video file that fucks all hope of a clean search.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2015 11:27:52 pm
      For fast clean searches http://www.voidtools.com/
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Jan 18, 2016 08:53:17 am

Hi mate.

Step by step guide:
      1. Hold Win+r to open run
      2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
      3. Click Services
      4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
      5. Uncheck tickbox
      6. Click apply then ok
      7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you... did for me :)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Jan 18, 2016 02:04:32 pm
      Thanks chaps. (forgot about this thread)

Quick Reply