Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Lucas Leiva (Inter Milan)

Read 24039 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Re: Lucas Leiva (Inter Milan)
      Reply #138: Aug 26, 2015 02:54:37 pm
      Seems very amateurish that it took injuries to 2 of our midfielders, what's the chances of that eh? For Rodgers to realise his importance to the team with one foot out of the door.

Wouldn't blame Lucas for leaving if this is the way the club is being managed.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #139: Aug 26, 2015 03:03:02 pm
      Seems very amateurish that it took injuries to 2 of our midfielders, what's the chances of that eh? For Rodgers to realise his importance to the team with one foot out of the door.

Wouldn't blame Lucas for leaving if this is the way the club is being managed.

I don't think that's the way it's been at all. I think from all reports Lucas made it clear that he needs to play more and we couldn't guarantee that, so it was mutually accepted we'd listen to offers. Now with Henderson and Allen being injured, it's clear that Lucas is going to get a good chance to play plenty of matches. Nobody ever said he was wasn't a good player, and my guess is he and the boss have sat down and nutted out a "lets see how it goes until Christmas" scenario.

My own guess is Lucas is never going to get really regular games unless we're struggling with injuries, form or both. the reason for that is his chronic lack of pace dictates that there is only a limited style of play in which he really flourishes. When you play that way though, he is a very good player indeed. That's why I'd give him some sort of overall club captain role or even look at him doing his coaching badges. He's an asset to the club I'm sure of that, and we should explore ways of keeping him on board.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #140: Aug 26, 2015 03:29:17 pm
      I don't think that's the way it's been at all. I think from all reports Lucas made it clear that he needs to play more and we couldn't guarantee that, so it was mutually accepted we'd listen to offers. Now with Henderson and Allen being injured, it's clear that Lucas is going to get a good chance to play plenty of matches. Nobody ever said he was wasn't a good player, and my guess is he and the boss have sat down and nutted out a "lets see how it goes until Christmas" scenario.

My own guess is Lucas is never going to get really regular games unless we're struggling with injuries, form or both. the reason for that is his chronic lack of pace dictates that there is only a limited style of play in which he really flourishes. When you play that way though, he is a very good player indeed. That's why I'd give him some sort of overall club captain role or even look at him doing his coaching badges. He's an asset to the club I'm sure of that, and we should explore ways of keeping him on board.

:lmao:

This from the guy who said we couldn't sell him if we tried.

Just a couple of gems:

It doesn't surprise me that so far there has been little transfer interest in him. Our fans have vastly overrated him for years even when he was at his best (and was a good player in fairness) but since his injuries he's been a liability to be fair.

Watching Masherano tonight and thinking back to the times I read on the forums that Lucas was actually a better player (incredible really) still made me chuckle.

Liability eh?

Oh and on this one:

The unfortunate truth is that Lucas has been a bit of a liability for quite some time now, he hasn't suddenly deteriorated in the last couple of matches. When we debated him earlier in the season the vehement defence of his abilities at the time from some was significantly OTT, and recent matches have proven categorically that we are discussing a player here who is chronically short of mobility. Admittedly his excellent reading of the game and the proximity he keeps to our centre backs when playing as a holding midfielder help to mask his deficiencies, but nobody can tell me that a footballer can operate at the top level in World football while being as unathletic as Lucas is. It simply isn't possible in my opinion, and his lack of legs is absolutely what causes him to give so many free kicks away when he is sitting in.

Debating whether or not we should keep him for next season is probably something of a moot point as I doubt we'd be knocked over in the rush of potential suitors for his signature. He'll be on a decent enough wage to scare off the likes of West Brom or the Championship promotees (for whom he'd do a good job) so he will be with us next season.

To my mind though not only is the debate over whether he or Gerrard is the better bet as holder completely dead in the water, the debate over whether he ought to be first stand in is up for question too. He is actually even slower than naysayers such as me thought he was, and that's saying something. Somebody mentioned him "running in treacle" earlier, and they are absolutely spot on. For me he stays, but we desperately need a holding midfield stand in for Gerrard as well as obviously enough depth further forward to ensure we never have to use Lucas again in any other position than the one usually plays in.

and of course Brendan confirming that he is the best DM at the club, something that's been debated long enough to know who is on which side of that particular debate.

The irony of Mick discussing "teeth clenchers" and "mouth foamers" then coming in here pretending all along he's thought Lucas was a good player, what a crock of sh*t.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #141: Aug 26, 2015 03:38:02 pm
      Good. We need him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #142: Aug 26, 2015 03:38:53 pm

Just a couple of gems:

Liability eh?

Oh and on this one:

and of course Brendan confirming that he is the best DM at the club, something that's been debated long enough to know who is on which side of that particular debate.

The irony of Mick discussing "teeth clenchers" and "mouth foamers" then coming in here pretending all along he's thought Lucas was a good player, what a crock of sh*t.

;D

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #143: Aug 26, 2015 03:43:50 pm
      Looks like Rodgers has had a rethink on the importance of Lucas to the team. Good news for Liverpool fans.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lucas-leiva-train-liverpool-first-6318465

Fixed
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #144: Aug 26, 2015 03:44:31 pm
      At least if Lucas stays he knows he's picked up a new fan. :f_tongueincheek: ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #145: Aug 26, 2015 04:04:42 pm

Just a couple of gems:

Liability eh?

Oh and on this one:

Yes a good bit of digging there Luke and it turned up a few nuggets. There's plenty more in the Lucas thread if you look, and when we played him as one of two I was constantly amazed that it was always whoever was playing alongside him who got the flak rather than the Brazilian himself. My suspicion is still that if we played a standard 4-4-2 he would look awful as one of the two, but my guess is we aren't about to go down that road.

I think most people have come to realise with the passing of time that his best days were before he got that last serious injury. Some clung onto those memories when he first came back more in hope than expectation I suspect, and lauded his every appearance as if it were the second coming. As time has passed though I've probably passed some of the them on the way up as they've been on the way down, as I've been appreciating him a little more and they've been slightly going off him. There's little doubt that if you sit him in the pocket with runners all around him and keep the gap between him and the centre halves small, he's a very canny operator. He reads it very well as he gets older, his distribution is decent and he ticks possession over well.

The likelihood is that we are going to need an out and out defensive midfielder half a dozen times a season under Brendan's system, and as such I'd be up for keeping Lucas. Have I modified my views on him? definitely. Was I possibly a bit harsh on him previously? Almost certainly. Am I overly fussed about somebody claiming it as a contradiction or a "crock of sh*t"? Not in the least. As for the point of "nobody" coming in for him, I'm a bit surprised that the might of Besiktas has proven that one wrong and prompted more rolling on the floor, but then I'm no expert on Turkish football so I'll stand corrected.   

Anyway, continuing with my "non ignore" policy I'm very happy to admit I've become a bit of a Lucas fan  ;D :lmao:.   
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #146: Aug 26, 2015 04:09:54 pm
      Looks like Rodgers has had a rethink on the importance of Lucas to the team. Good news for Lucas fans.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lucas-leiva-train-liverpool-first-6318465

Never thought he wanted him gone; everything out of the club has been about keeping him all along.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #147: Aug 26, 2015 04:10:04 pm
      At least if Lucas stays he knows he's picked up a new fan. :f_tongueincheek: ;D

He has mate, I really like the fella these days  :lmao:.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #148: Aug 26, 2015 04:38:29 pm
      Yes a good bit of digging there Luke and it turned up a few nuggets. There's plenty more in the Lucas thread if you look, and when we played him as one of two I was constantly amazed that it was always whoever was playing alongside him who got the flak rather than the Brazilian himself. My suspicion is still that if we played a standard 4-4-2 he would look awful as one of the two, but my guess is we aren't about to go down that road.

I think most people have come to realise with the passing of time that his best days were before he got that last serious injury. Some clung onto those memories when he first came back more in hope than expectation I suspect, and lauded his every appearance as if it were the second coming. As time has passed though I've probably passed some of the them on the way up as they've been on the way down, as I've been appreciating him a little more and they've been slightly going off him. There's little doubt that if you sit him in the pocket with runners all around him and keep the gap between him and the centre halves small, he's a very canny operator. He reads it very well as he gets older, his distribution is decent and he ticks possession over well.

The likelihood is that we are going to need an out and out defensive midfielder half a dozen times a season under Brendan's system, and as such I'd be up for keeping Lucas. Have I modified my views on him? definitely. Was I possibly a bit harsh on him previously? Almost certainly. Am I overly fussed about somebody claiming it as a contradiction or a "crock of sh*t"? Not in the least. As for the point of "nobody" coming in for him, I'm a bit surprised that the might of Besiktas has proven that one wrong and prompted more rolling on the floor, but then I'm no expert on Turkish football so I'll stand corrected.   

Anyway, continuing with my "non ignore" policy I'm very happy to admit I've become a bit of a Lucas fan  ;D :lmao:.   

Well it's good to hear you're finally coming around on the bloke, it's took you long enough!

As for nobody coming in for him Mick, it wasn't just Besiktas, there were plenty of others, especially from Italian football. I'm personally just pleased Brendan has made the right choice, playing a defensive midfielder away from home against any of the top teams (we saw how well he did against Real Madrid even though we lost) is a sensible and pragmatic approach. It's lovely to think that 2 in the middle can cope, but the reality is if we'd played 2 in there against Arsenal we'd have probably lost.

I'm not personally convinced that barring injury Brendan would have changed tactics but on seeing our new found defensive organisation I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

As for:

Anyway, continuing with my "non ignore" policy I'm very happy to admit I've become a bit of a Lucas fan

How extremely magnanimous of you Mick :lmao:

To be fair I've also taken off ignore the only person who has ever managed to get onto my ignore list so perhaps the positive start to the season can bring about some peace on the forum. Although that one I do doubt.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #149: Aug 26, 2015 04:47:07 pm

To be fair I've also taken off ignore the only person who has ever managed to get onto my ignore list so perhaps the positive start to the season can bring about some peace on the forum. Although that one I do doubt.

Now that does deserve a roll about on the floor :lmao: there's f*cking no chance of that at all mate. Still we can all enjoy the peace while it lasts at least. Back onto Lucas though, it is impossible to look at a picture of the players relaxing on instagram or whatever the f*ck it is and Lucas not be in there. He's really obviously hugely liked and respected by the players, and in any workforce this is far more important than many people realise. Before Fed launches in, I'm not saying we should keep him purely because he's a nice bloke, but it's definitely a factor. Put it this way, if Lucas being at the club gets an extra percentage point or two out of Coutinho and Firmino, it's worth keeping him for that alone.   

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #150: Aug 26, 2015 04:53:25 pm
      Now that does deserve a roll about on the floor :lmao: there's f*cking no chance of that at all mate. Still we can all enjoy the peace while it lasts at least. Back onto Lucas though, it is impossible to look at a picture of the players relaxing on instagram or whatever the f*ck it is and Lucas not be in there. He's really obviously hugely liked and respected by the players, and in any workforce this is far more important than many people realise. Before Fed launches in, I'm not saying we should keep him purely because he's a nice bloke, but it's definitely a factor. Put it this way, if Lucas being at the club gets an extra percentage point or two out of Coutinho and Firmino, it's worth keeping him for that alone.   

Couldn't agree more and not only a percent or two in terms of performance but simply settling in to both the team and the area will mean we'll see the best out of Firmino quicker than if Lucas wasn't around. It would prove to be an almost impossible thing to quantify in terms of value to a squad but we all know how one bad apple can spoil the bunch, the opposite must almost definitely hold true.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,943 posts | 4999 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #151: Aug 26, 2015 04:54:10 pm
      He has mate, I really like the fella these days  :lmao:.

Would that be Lucas or Luke, Mick?  ;D

YNWA
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #152: Aug 26, 2015 05:54:30 pm

Would that be Lucas or Luke, Mick?  ;D

YNWA

Both mate. I'm giving Luke that little internet thing you do to your kids when you grab one their cheeks in each hand and go give em a little wobble  :laugh:.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #153: Aug 26, 2015 05:59:25 pm
      I want to sign Leo mess for Liverpool And he could play on the wide right. He could cross the ball into benteke

go fix your diarrhea think it has spread to your brain as well as your mouth.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #154: Aug 26, 2015 06:06:22 pm

go fix your diarrhea think it has spread to your brain as well as your mouth.

LFCReds fraped :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #155: Aug 27, 2015 03:16:42 pm
      Well not off to Besiktas as the Turks won't meet our valuation.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #156: Nov 04, 2015 04:27:14 pm
      dont think he will go anyware now but in the summer things might change. all depends on if he stays injury free, keeps up this form and who we buy in the summer. We WILL buy another mid in the summer so it depends on that.

can only see him going back to Brazil or possibly germany
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #157: Nov 04, 2015 05:37:26 pm
      It think Lucas's value may have jumped a wee bit.

Not that it matters our midfield destroyer is going nowhere!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #158: Nov 04, 2015 05:42:39 pm
      Well, I was a sceptic. It looked at times he was trawling through mud last year when partnered with Gerrard - but it was obvious it was the wrong formation with the wrong players with him. But I was wrong on a massive scale. Remember the run back at the start of the year - he was a mainstay in that side and I don't think it was a coincidence when some lesser players were out for a large chunk of the time (Gerrard, Allen).

Now he is blooming again. I am delighted with him since Klopp came - and for the first time in years, it seems Klopp has reinstated his natural attacking instincts (remember he was an attacking midfielder before Rafa turned him into a holding midfielder). His pressing and anticipation is excellent, and he's given us a dirty tough look to the midfield again.

If Klopp had the choice, I think he'd be the captain. Obviously, it seems damaging to chop and change the captaincy so Hendo will retain it (I think sensibly too).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #159: Nov 04, 2015 07:05:58 pm
      dont think he will go anyware now but in the summer things might change. all depends on if he stays injury free, keeps up this form and who we buy in the summer. We WILL buy another mid in the summer so it depends on that.

can only see him going back to Brazil or possibly germany

Good job bumping a three month old thread with no new or credible information.

Fantastic!

Quick Reply