Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Time for a DOF?

Read 10222 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Time for a DOF?
      Reply #69: Feb 28, 2015 08:04:12 am
      I always said we need one, a capable one.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #70: Feb 28, 2015 08:25:06 am
      Who would your DOF be Op? oh crap I just looked back and it's Hollywood balls asking the question. He's like a marketing or gauging the fans reactions guy. Not real salt of the earth.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #71: Feb 28, 2015 08:26:39 am
      A DoF would mark the beginning of the end for Rodgers and I'm not sure we can afford to let Rodgers go.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #72: Feb 28, 2015 09:22:20 am
      Who would your DOF be Op? oh crap I just looked back and it's Hollywood balls asking the question. He's like a marketing or gauging the fans reactions guy. Not real salt of the earth.

A bit unfair mate.

Hollywood does raise some good debates on here.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #73: Feb 28, 2015 09:24:48 am
      The problem is with Director of Football is I wouldn't be certain of anyone in the role.

The best guy I would have thought for the role before summer may have been Tixi Begiristain but his signings at City leave a lot to be desired I think.

Great ones would be directors (but not limited to this type) which proved they have the brains by turning average sides into European winners, mainly due to making great transfers, hiring the right managers and so on.

Monchi at Sevilla is the best example, also Matthias Sammer is a good one. Ariedo Braida is another example, Pantaleo Corvino comes to mind also.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #74: Feb 28, 2015 09:55:05 am
      A bit unfair mate.

Hollywood does raise some good debates on here.

I may be way off the mark and I'd say sorry but he seems very business-like and he or she is always defending the Scrooge mentality in place.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #75: Feb 28, 2015 10:25:35 am
      A DoF would mark the beginning of the end for Rodgers and I'm not sure we can afford to let Rodgers go.
      If it is a choice on which BR has his say or even is his choice i don't see any reason for this to happen.

Well put issue.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #76: Feb 28, 2015 11:42:49 am
      At risk of repeating myself again, I do not have your faith in our ability to invest in the squad therefore I consider any drain Sterling's new contract might put on our ability to invest to be worth every penny.

If Sterling were to go (and I don't think he will) I do not have confidence in the board, FSG, the transfer committee, whatever you want to call them in spending the money on a player of similar (or better standard) quality. We would be weaker. The rules you claim we must always abide by would see to this.

That is the absolute crux of it for me and is why our opinions differ so fundamentally on Sterling. What is bizarre to me is that you can see issues with our transfer dealings and yet you do not agree.

That's a separate issue though.

We are currently not strong enough to win the Premiership and we know our rivals will strengthen further in Summer.

Sterling is not going to win the league campaign by himself - in fact he is far from the finished article.

We need to improve our transfer dealings no doubt about it - but we can't be in a position where we are so scared to find what we need in the market that we can be held to ransom by players.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #77: Feb 28, 2015 11:46:16 am
      The more I think about Hollywoods idea of a director of football, the more I'm starting to think it's a good idea.
      "Hollywood's idea"  :lmao:

A while back,  in 'The Committee" thread, http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,47157.60.html#quickreply I posted this (in a reply to your good self) mick:

I'd weigh up the options between a DoF (working closely with the manager, under very defined parameters) and giving the manager carte blanche to decide what team he puts together to decide how money will be spent and on which players. *

In each case there would obviously be a budget allocated. It would then be down to them [Manager & DoF or Manager's team] on how that money is spent. No restrictions, no computer programmes - just human eyes and human judgement.

Either option could then spend the money on players that they feel will improve the on-field performance of the team. There would be no ambiguity; no debate: the manger would stand or fall on those judgements.

* n.b.  My gut instinct would be a DoF/Manager set-up with only football people involved but either option, in my opinion, is better than any nerd, sat in front of a computer, running a programme he designed, to see if a player represents "value".

The PR rep's response? A, par for the course, troll...

DOF - tried with Comolli and a "footballing man" - ended up with Andy Carroll, Downing, Adam, Coates etc.

And since Brendan has explicity said he wouldn't work with a DOF either we get a new manager or we can the idea.

Pretty obvious really - so what's your bright idea to solve the problems we actually have?

And now? Well it looks like the "bright idea" has some merit after all.  :lmao:

Apart from 'look at me' there's a subtext to this thread mate; subtle yes, but very clear when you look. The PR dept is testing the waters on getting rid of Brendan.  ;)

Do yourselves a favour and let this fishing expedition die on it's mealy-mouthed, Chelsea loving, PR peddling, WUM arse.  >:D

Happy to help.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #78: Feb 28, 2015 11:48:55 am
      I may be way off the mark and I'd say sorry but he seems very business-like and he or she is always defending the Scrooge mentality in place.

You're looking for a Father Christmas approach to the club?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #79: Feb 28, 2015 12:11:53 pm

Oh great, the resident forum head-the-ball has weighed in with his usual bollocks to distract everyone whilst he is busy furiously missing the point.

Excuse me while I get some caffeine.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #80: Feb 28, 2015 12:20:07 pm
      Oh great, everyone loves Hollywoofballs rep, for Lfc. omg you suckers.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #81: Feb 28, 2015 12:25:16 pm
      Oh great, everyone loves Hollywoofballs rep, for Lfc. omg you suckers.

:f_doh:

Anyway back to the topic, the key question here is whether Brendan is prepared to work with a DOF. As pointed out previously he has refused.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #82: Feb 28, 2015 12:34:48 pm

You mean the scrooge mentality that saw us escape FFP censure by the skin of our teeth?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #83: Feb 28, 2015 12:35:29 pm
      For me we need a DOF no more than we need a defensive coach, what we do need tho is owners who are prepared to pay the kind of wage that is appropriate to the top quality players we need,

I bet come the summer we are interested in say Reus for example, it's almost guaranteed we will miss out because our wage structure won't match another clubs, then we will probably sign a cheaper less talented individual,

It doesn't take a DOF to work that out does it ?

I just think we need better scouts, look at Saints, we took three of their players last summer and everyone thought they would struggle, yet they found the lads Tatic, Mane, etc add Sniederling, Wanyama, Aldeireweilde, Pelle,
      Who discovered those players, are Saints scouts better than what we have ?

YNWA
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #84: Feb 28, 2015 12:51:09 pm
      For me we need a DOF no more than we need a defensive coach, what we do need tho is owners who are prepared to pay the kind of wage that is appropriate to the top quality players we need,

I bet come the summer we are interested in say Reus for example, it's almost guaranteed we will miss out because our wage structure won't match another clubs, then we will probably sign a cheaper less talented individual,

It doesn't take a DOF to work that out does it ?

I just think we need better scouts, look at Saints, we took three of their players last summer and everyone thought they would struggle, yet they found the lads Tatic, Mane, etc add Sniederling, Wanyama, Aldeireweilde, Pelle,
      Who discovered those players, are Saints scouts better than what we have ?

YNWA

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

"A few years ago, like many others who are close to the game, I would have bristled at the mention of a director of football - a technical or sporting director.

To me, the manager was the ultimate authority on all football club matters. But talking this week to Les Reed, who has overall control at Southampton, has strengthened my belief that 95 per cent of clubs will adopt the model that has been so successful for the Saints....."
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #85: Feb 28, 2015 01:07:30 pm

As the link attempts to convince ''the era of the gaffer is over'' with the coming of the all affecting DOF role.
      The era of a particular gaffer was conveniently over at LFC thanks to an all affecting DOF appointed by JWH & Co.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #86: Feb 28, 2015 01:11:40 pm
      As the link attempts to convince ''the era of the gaffer is over'' with the coming of the all affecting DOF role.
      The era of a particular gaffer was conveniently over at LFC thanks to an all affecting DOF appointed by JWH & Co.

Funny that you spend every other post prattling about putting me on ignore and now it turns out you haven't Wetherton.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #87: Feb 28, 2015 02:11:04 pm
      Nothing can be worse than the current crop picking and choosing players to bring in.

It wasn't my ideal solution but I have wanted a DOF since Mario came in.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #88: Feb 28, 2015 07:16:28 pm
      I think the current system did well in the first window they operated in which was the January in which we signed Sturridge and Coutinho.   Then with all hopes high they had a mare in the second one in the summer.  They didn't do business in the January after.   Now the last summer signings are showing some real promise.  There is still at least a few months till summer for those that give players more 3 games to settle.   

I think it is looking like summer was also a good or maybe a very good window.  The next couple of months will be a little more conclusive.   If we say the committee have operated in 3 windows.  One was a total success.  2 very good players both a fraction of their worth after playing them for a few months.  That doesn't happen and can not be expected from any sort of structure.   But it did and we take it with both hands.   Now if the last summer's transfers are going to be a success and lets be fair when you purchase 9 players you can't get them all right again under no ones expectations.  Then we have a case that the current  committee has a 2 in 3 success rate over their last 3 windows of operation.   For me any new system needs time.  It needs time to adjust and tune up for it to produce optimum results. 

Nah for me at this moment of time I wouldn't be looking at ditching the Committee.  A little tune up here and there OK.  But for me I would want it to be given more time.

Quick Reply