Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      5 (11.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      3 (6.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      10 (22.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (6.8%)
      Emre Can
      4 (9.1%)
      Joe Allen
      8 (18.2%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      9 (20.5%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Mario Balotelli
      2 (4.5%)
      Javi Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: Mar 03, 2015 09:15:11 am

Besiktas 1-0 LFC (1-1 agg / 5-4 on pens): In game and Post Match Debate

Read 54584 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Besiktas 1-0 LFC (1-1 agg / 5-4 on pens): In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #897: Feb 27, 2015 09:25:54 am
      Poll added.  Apologies for the delay.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #898: Feb 27, 2015 09:26:44 am
      It was a good match yesterday, i was at the stadium and atmosphere was unbelieveable.

I think we deserved it. And i am sure that Liverpool will be in top 4 this season. See you in CL next year :)

Well done fella, I hope Besiktas go on to win it now. I also would like to say fair play to mate, you've conducted yourself with considerable class since you first appeared on here. Congratulations on the win, I'm not sure I totally agree that you deserved it over the two legs, but there was little or nothing between the two teams so fair enough. Like I say I hope you go on and win it now, good luck!

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #899: Feb 27, 2015 09:35:28 am
      It was a good match yesterday, i was at the stadium and atmosphere was unbelieveable.

I think we deserved it. And i am sure that Liverpool will be in top 4 this season. See you in CL next year :)
      Well done. I'll be following the Black Eagles unless you meet Napoli then you're on your own.
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #900: Feb 27, 2015 10:08:01 am
      I didn't really post after the match as I was pissed off.

Still am I suppose and I don't agree with the point that it will help us in the race for 4th.

But at the end of the day we went out on penalties in a tough tie. We are very inexperienced in Europe now and
      have a lot to learn. We left a big part of our midfield at home as well which was a gamble that didn't pay off, and our
      number one striker had a bad match.

I don't see the point in trying to blame anyone specifically. I think in many ways we saw why Lovren can recover his
      Liverpool career. To have had the start he has had, and still be willing to put your name down as number 5 in a penalty
      shootout shows character. You are on to a loser in that situation, you are pretty much expected to score, people only
      really remember if you miss.

bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #901: Feb 27, 2015 10:18:41 am
      Don't see the point in saying we should play our best team in every game. It's like saying we should sign Messi to help on the firepower front - it's not going to happen. Every manager rests players, or needs to be careful with niggles, at various times. They ALL do it. That is why we have a squad. The guys BR selected yest should've been able to win that tie - that's clear from a 1st half when we were the better side and had chances to score - but for whatever reason there was a collective poorness from 2nd half on that did for us. Wanted to win the game, could've won it, but didn't. Gotta move on.

I'm absolutely behind BR in his selection. We should try to win every competition, but the league should be our bread and butter. Whatever about the final league position we end up in, we should bust our guts to finish as high up as we can, and players need to have the importance of finishing as high up as possible melted into their DNA. I want to win trophies, but by far and a way the one I want BR to collect most is the title, and whatever feeds into helping us do that in the coming years, I'm square behind him in that.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: Live: Besiktas V Liverpool
      Reply #902: Feb 27, 2015 10:21:32 am
      That's great that he was brave....but you are a professional....the giant open goal mouth is 12 yards away. My 12 year old would have done better than that, he'd have at least put it on the goal. And he'd have been jumping up and down to take the pen. So yes, shame on the others if they turned down the opportunity, but unfortunately being brave doesn't help us in Lovren's case.

Have to say as soon as he stepped up to take it, I knew he had missed.

Have you ever played football?

Lionel F***ing Messi failed to score from the spot this week - why don't you get your son to drop him a line and tell him what he's obviously doing so wrong.

In fact, feel free to hop over to Melwood and impart your wisdom to Dejan - I'm sure it will be gratefully and warmly received.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #903: Feb 27, 2015 10:25:00 am
      Like I said earlier I was only able to watch the game until they scored (was going out on a pre-arranged f*cking nonsense "birthday bash" which we all have to endure from time to time, was in danger of a divorce by that point as we were "already over half an hour late"). Up to that point, I though we were controlling a pretty poor game and I thought defensively we looked very solid. In amongst that, I thought all three centre backs (INCLUDING THE FUTURE CAPTAIN)  and the goalie looked excellent.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #904: Feb 27, 2015 10:36:56 am
      Like I said earlier I was only able to watch the game until they scored (was going out on a pre-arranged f*cking nonsense "birthday bash" which we all have to endure from time to time, was in danger of a divorce by that point as we were "already over half an hour late"). Up to that point, I though we were controlling a pretty poor game and I thought defensively we looked very solid. In amongst that, I thought all three centre backs (INCLUDING THE FUTURE CAPTAIN)  and the goalie looked excellent.

Not sure we were comfortable up to the goal.
      We were certainly comfortable in the first half but as the second half progressed we were constantly pegged into our own half and when your under constant pressure one of those long range efforts is eventually going to hit the target.

I think the reason peeps are upset over this lets face it minor trophy is the manner OF our exit, it really was with a whimper, just like the CL we didn't perform like we know this team can.

RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #905: Feb 27, 2015 10:37:09 am

For me the lack of Henderson in the middle of the park and not having one viable CM replacement on the bench was key.
      Thought Moreno was our man of the match, they had about 4 men of the match and were deserved winners who are well capable of beating any side left in the competition, hopefully they get drawn against the Bitters it would be a massacre.
      Obviously gutted to lose but if we're honest it was combination of backs to the wall defending and luck after 45 minutes that Lovren was even in a position to miss that penalty.

YNWA bring on Citeh.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #906: Feb 27, 2015 10:51:35 am
      Thought Mignolet was unlucky.
      Came very close to saving 2 or 3 of their penalties.
      Would have been hero stuff.

Liverpool had the better first half, but just like like taking the draw.
      Something that's never worked under Brendan.

Front 3 didn't work either, not because of Mario,
      but Sturridge and Sterling look off last night.
      Maybe it was the loss of Coutinho.

Last night's game equalled the total for all of Liverpool's games last season.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #907: Feb 27, 2015 11:03:24 am
      Who is Coutinho replacement when he is rested or injured, we really missed him last night, thats why i hope BR brings back João Teixeira back next season starts giving the lad some game time,
      João Teixeira 3 MOTM in a row 4 goals in last 3 games
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2015 11:16:47 am by verde-rubro »
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #908: Feb 27, 2015 11:14:52 am
      Thought we were good in the first half. Better team, good performance. Defending well and creating one or two opportunities.

Credit to Besiktas, they came out in the second and pressed us quickly and in numbers. We could barely keep the ball, and in truth you could see their goal coming from a mile off. What I don't understand is why we didn't change it before that? I think BR wanted to get an away goal and felt Balo and Studge should be kept on in order to get it, but it was plainly obvious we were being overrun in midfield and needed another body in there. We created next to nothing in the 2nd half anyway, so why not change it?

Disappointed in the result, but ultimately it's not the end of the world. Only one way into the Champions League now, but at least we've got a clear run at the FA Cup as well.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #909: Feb 27, 2015 11:18:52 am
      Who is Coutinho replacement when he is rested or injured, we really missed him last night, thats why i hope BR brings back João Teixeira back next season starts giving the lad some game time,
      João Teixeira 3 MOTM in a row 4 goals in last 3 games

Thanks for the idea Joao but you are a bit limited for pace.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #910: Feb 27, 2015 11:20:22 am
      In a way, it is good we went out last night. I know people want us to be in it but we would have lost in the next round. Sturridge just wants to play for himself and Balotelli is not much better. We will need at least two strikers in the summer.

Also, I think Rodgers just doesn't (yet) have in it to know how to play in Europe. Now, Rafa would have been fantastic for it but he is not here. Rodgers made the substitutions very late. Lallana should have been on by at least 60 minutes and Sturridge should have been sub during 90 minutes.

Anyway, I have two worries.
      1. Sturridge is no saviour. In fact he has looked rubbish and can't be bothered to pass the ball when he has a chance. I don't see him doing well against Citeh.
      2. We looked dog tired in the 2nd half. How are we going to recover by Sunday lunch-time? I don't think we will be. I see (unfortunately) Citeh winning on Sunday.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #911: Feb 27, 2015 11:29:35 am
      In a way, it is good we went out last night. I know people want us to be in it but we would have lost in the next round. Sturridge just wants to play for himself and Balotelli is not much better. We will need at least two strikers in the summer.

Also, I think Rodgers just doesn't (yet) have in it to know how to play in Europe. Now, Rafa would have been fantastic for it but he is not here. Rodgers made the substitutions very late. Lallana should have been on by at least 60 minutes and Sturridge should have been sub during 90 minutes.

Anyway, I have two worries.
      1. Sturridge is no saviour. In fact he has looked rubbish and can't be bothered to pass the ball when he has a chance. I don't see him doing well against Citeh.
      2. We looked dog tired in the 2nd half. How are we going to recover by Sunday lunch-time? I don't think we will be. I see (unfortunately) Citeh winning on Sunday.

There will be plenty of fresh legs available with Coutinho, Hendo, Marko, Sakho and Gerrard available so no excuses about tired legs esp from Raheem and Sturridge who hardly stretched their legs last night.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #912: Feb 27, 2015 11:40:20 am
      Still gutted we're out.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #913: Feb 27, 2015 11:46:27 am
      Don't see the point in saying we should play our best team in every game. It's like saying we should sign Messi to help on the firepower front - it's not going to happen. Every manager rests players, or needs to be careful with niggles, at various times. They ALL do it. That is why we have a squad. The guys BR selected yest should've been able to win that tie - that's clear from a 1st half when we were the better side and had chances to score - but for whatever reason there was a collective poorness from 2nd half on that did for us. Wanted to win the game, could've won it, but didn't. Gotta move on.

I'm absolutely behind BR in his selection. We should try to win every competition, but the league should be our bread and butter. Whatever about the final league position we end up in, we should bust our guts to finish as high up as we can, and players need to have the importance of finishing as high up as possible melted into their DNA. I want to win trophies, but by far and a way the one I want BR to collect most is the title, and whatever feeds into helping us do that in the coming years, I'm square behind him in that.

Your 'best team' is a subjective term, mate. There's no such thing, only the best team to beat the eleven in front of you.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #914: Feb 27, 2015 12:04:24 pm
      Those commentators on ITV4 spoke good English, never, ever would have guessed they were Turkish.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #915: Feb 27, 2015 12:05:03 pm
      First time for a while I've been disappointed with a Liverpool performance. There was no effort from our boys.

Besiktas were there for the taking, they aren't a very good team them lot, they are equivalent to a mid table/bottom half of the league premiership club.

It was clear from the whistle how much we missed Coutinho and even though I've been quite critical of him this season, we missed Henderson too.

Thought Can had a shocker, he looked tired and sluggish. We missed him and Sakho in the back 3 too, we had nobody who could play or bring the ball out of defence yesterday.

Sturridge and Balotelli were awful too. Neither of them could get in the game.

Sterling pissed me off the most yesterday though. I was getting fed up of watching him get bullied off the ball time and time again. Then when penalties came where the F**k was he? And he wants a big contract but shits himself from taking a spot kick? F**k off.

I don't blame Lovren for that woeful penalty. I blame Brendan for agreeing to him taking one and other players for not stepping up. Fair play to Lovren, at least he has a set of bollocks. He knows he is under a lot of criticism at the moment and can't even get a game for us but he still took the responsibility. Horrible, horrible pen though :lmao:

Nobody stood out but thought Allen was the best from a bad bunch which is saying something.

Poor performance reds, disappointed, we could have gotten far in this competition and won it. Only sh*t teams are left in it! Lets move on quick and  prepare for City.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #916: Feb 27, 2015 12:15:02 pm

Poor performance reds, disappointed, we could have gotten far in this competition and won it. Only sh*t teams are left in it! Lets move on quick and  prepare for City.

If we weren't playing Citeh on Sunday would that have made any difference to the starting 11 last night?
      It was obviously an affecting factor in the manager's decisions.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #917: Feb 27, 2015 12:15:18 pm
       after that performance, well still gutted, we did not take the few little chances we had in the first half
       2nd half was awful as was the ET
       apart from the Ba crossbar hit, they had no chances , apart from long range shots
       the penalties .well feel sorry for Lovren , it had to be him to miss, I am sure he was nervous taking that  due to his low form he had since he came here and all the stick he got from everywhere , including me
       Now I don't know who decided he should take the kick
       was it himself, volonteering
       was he chosen by the boss
       was he the only one left because all the others declined
       Sterling,toure,skrtel,moreno, Marquillo, why not one of them, because they chose not to risk?
       Many top players miss a penalty now and then iincluding Stevie, messi, ronaldo,, bad luck for Lovren beacuse this was a decisive one

can't do anything now we move on , hoping we will bounce back from this penalty lottery loss next sunday, praying some of the injured player are fit again

YNWA

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #918: Feb 27, 2015 12:22:21 pm
      Balotelli taking that free kick into their penalty area was a strange one.
      Him being big and intimidating surely meant he was top man for the jostling stakes in front of their goalie, not taking the kick where the players height doesn't mean sh*t.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #919: Feb 27, 2015 12:49:58 pm
      I hate losing. I hate watching Liverpool lose, to anyone. Having said that, perhaps this is a blessing so now we can focus on the league and our pursuit of at least 4th. Migs played very well, and the Back 3 played well also. Kolo looked better than I thought he would, and looked very comfortable on the ball. Was actually surprised he didn't take the last pen. Skrtle was my MOTM. Didn't put a foot wrong and was unlucky on their goal, which was a beautiful shot by the way. Lovren really played well in the 2nd half and has earned that spot when Sahko is injured. Bad pen miss, but like others said at least he had the stones to step up and take it. Moreno played as well as I've seen him play in months. Ibe was a tad more timid I thought, and needs to continue to pressure the opposition with his directness. Can played decent, but showed there really is nothing more he offers than Hendo in there. Allen played very well again, does all the small things to keep us going. We are missing that stud in the CM role though who is creative AND box-to-box. Mario played well too. Held up the ball well and showed he deserved to be in the starting 11. Stupid yellow card though, and always meant he'd be subbed. Studge and Sterling were really disappointing for me. They both are trying to be the hero, and this year's Suarez. Sterling certainly has not showed to me over the past 3-4 months that he's deserving of that high wage, and actually think he should be switched to a wing back role. He needs space to run and get behind people. He cannot find a pass, and certainly not a great finisher. And Studge, well he doesn't seem to want to pass, or shoot lately. So I'm not sure why he's out there at the moment. We really do miss Suarez in these moments, to bark his orders and put people in their place. He could do it because he was that good, and people knew it. We don't have that person at the moment.

Quick Reply