Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Can
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      15 (9.7%)
      Allen
      36 (23.2%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lallana
      5 (3.2%)
      Sterling
      3 (1.9%)
      Coutinho
      95 (61.3%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      K Touré
      1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Liverpool 2:1 Man City, In game and post match debate.

Read 37884 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 2:1 Man City, In game and post match debate.
      Reply #506: Mar 01, 2015 06:43:18 pm
      Now the following question comes up :

What you've preferred ? Qualifying for the last 16 in Europa League and losing against City or this ? I'll gladly take the 2nd option.

Who says we'd have lost to City? :roll:

Qualifying for the next round would mean we would have had a chance to win the Europa League.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #507: Mar 01, 2015 06:53:56 pm
      My Micky ratings:

Mignolet: Probably his dodgiest performance for a few weeks. Extremely lucky to get away with the dallying  when Aguerro hit the post, and it seemed to dent his confidence a little. They only got one other shot on target, it was probably just as well. 6/10.

Markovic: Had a bit of a stinker and after a glimmer of extreme promise a month or so ago, has gone back into his shell. 4/10.

Can: His usual composed self, another fine performance. 7/10.

Skrtel: Aside from being taken out (along with Can) by Aguerro's pass for the goal, was excellent. 7/10.

The future captain: Slightly wobbly at first but really grew into it. Some towering headers and well timed interceptions. 8/10.

Moreno: Not impressed by Alberto today, I can't help thinking that if he bombs on more he'll get his gander and confidence up a bit. As it is now we've taken away his attacking instincts we are left with a pretty average defender. 6/10.

Allen: By a mile his best ever performance in a Liverpool shirt. Crisp passing, good interceptions and excellent ball retention. My MOM. 9/10

Henderson: An overdue goal (which was a fab strike) and he was excellent all day. 8/10.

Lallana: Non stop energy and plenty of end product. Except for when he played left wing back when he succeeded in making me remember Andre Dossena with fondness (no mean feat), was excellent. 8/10.

Sterling: Not at his very best but still a fine performance from the kid with the speedy Gonzalez boots. 8/10.

Coutinho: Another wonderful goal, and quite possibly the merit MOM. I gave it to Allen though because he's like the little kid who is always the one left over at the end because nobodies picked him, when that kid has his day you've got to give him MOM. 9/10.

Subs:

Sturridge: Still coming back to fitness and snatched at his one good chance. 6/10.

Toure: Not on for long enough to have too much impact. 
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #508: Mar 01, 2015 06:54:01 pm
      Who says we'd have lost to City? :roll:

Qualifying for the next round would mean we would have had a chance to win the Europa League.

Spot on mate, if we'd won on Thursday, like you said we'd have had a chance to win the Europa League which in turn would have given us a Champions League spot and ultimately the confidence to tackle Citeh today!
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2015 07:33:12 pm by frizzby5 »
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,986 posts | 222 
      Reply #509: Mar 01, 2015 07:44:28 pm
      well it was a toss up between Allen and Coutinho in the end went for Coutinho for his winning goal and the 3 points
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #510: Mar 01, 2015 07:55:45 pm
      Hardest poll call I've ever had to make. Two immense faultless performances from Allen the protector and Coutinho the destroyer.

Went for Allen in the end first time ever I think I have voted him MOTM.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #511: Mar 01, 2015 08:07:02 pm
      So chuffed for Lovren and Allen; both went from strength to strength as the game went on

I'd give motm to Allen if it wasn't for Cout's outrageous strike

Sterling was poor again for me. Can't finish and his link up play is atrocious, that said, he did do a lot better when pushed out wide in the second half.

Fair play to Can, he looked like he was feeling the affects of Istanbul but hung in there
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Reply #512: Mar 01, 2015 08:12:19 pm
      What a game, what a result and what a way to cap off what had been a F***ing horrible weekend up to that point. Once again we proved we're more than a match for any c**t in this League. We proved that all of City's hype is because teams sh*t themselves against them but if you get into them then they're not the world class stars they're made out to be. Rodgers outclassed Pelligrini. Joe F***ing Allen bossed Yaya Toure. Mark Clattenburg had yet another sh*t game involving Liverpool (fair enough some of those sh*t games have been in our favour but he's still a sh*t ref.)

All in all, F***ing made up. I'll give me usual individual analysis before I head out on the piss. Thank you Reds!

Mignolet - saved his worst forty-five minutes of 2015 for this match. What the F**k he was doing in the first half is anybody's guess. Looked like the Simple Simon of October/November of last year all over again. Second half though he was back to his 2015 resurgence best. Commanded his area, caught well, distributed well and dealt with any little threat those small club cu*ts had.

Can - put in a belting performance after one of his worst Liverpool performances in mid-week. He certainly looked happier on the right side of the back three than the left where he played the other week. Comfortable throughout the game. Couple of those gut bursting runs where the opposition just bounce off him. Marked improvement from the game in Turkey.

Skrtel - is beginning to make me sound like a parrot because every single F***ing game since we've gone with this back three has seen Martin Skrtel be the best centre half in the League. He's dominant in the air, strong in the tackle, decisive and looking very happy in this system. The big bald Slovak has refound the form he showed a few years ago when he was voted our player of the year.

Lovren - had a few dodgy moments, couple of really poor passes but as the game wore on he grew into it. After the disappointment of missing the crucial penalty, he showed some balls to put in a good performance. He looked worse because of how good Can and Skrtel were but generally Dejan did more than enough to keep Aguero shtum for large parts of the game.

Markovic - was once again the biggest disappointment. One clever ball into Lallana but apart from that Lazzy was very wasteful, was never in the line with the other defenders and was basically a passenger. Rightly brought off in the second half.

Henderson - showed his true qualities today. He ran that midfield. Outclassed the likes of Silva, Toure and Fernandinho. And what a F***ing belter of a goal. We know Jordy can score goals like that which makes it more worrying that he doesn't get enough. But when he does, they're special aren't they? Excellent captain display. And he wasn't even the best central midfielder on the pitch today!

Allen - takes the mantle of best central midfielder today. Yes you read that right, me giving a huge amount of praise to Joe Allen. Every time he got it, he looked forward. He made a few good runs with the ball, going past their players. He broke up their attacks when need be. It was comfortably Joe's best performance in a Liverpool shirt. Well F***ing in Joe. Great performance today.

Moreno - continues to be the unsung hero of this side. Against Southampton the other week, we clearly missed him. That's a massive compliment when it's obvious we're missing you. He came on at St Mary's and sured us up at the back. Today, he again did nothing special but put in a very good performance in the process. He's always our outlet down the left wing, they were talking about Zabaletta always being an option for City, well Albert does it for us. Whenever we're going forward, he's making himself available. And defensively he's getting better. Seems to of knocked those silly mistakes on the head that he was making earlier in the season (including the crucial one against City at Maine Road)

Lallana - will undoubtedly get his praise today. Personally I thought he was quite wasteful at times and held on to the ball too long. But I can understand why some will think he played well.

Coutinho - is making it very difficult to find words worthy of describing just how good he is. Everything he did today was magical. He outshone Silva in their little battle of those "number 10" role players. It wasn't even a contest between them to be fair. It's scary to think he's only a kid as well. Still has his best years ahead of him. Against Southampton I said his goal was goal of the season regardless of what else happened between now and May, today's though might just have beaten it. It was a harder goal to score, so I think today's is goal of the season.

Sterling - probably had his best game in a long time but that's not saying a lot. He still weren't at his best and still isn't a centre forward. But he done ok. Kept the City defenders on their toes all game.

Sturridge - was yet again frustrating. You do not need to beat five players to score a goal lad. Put the ball in the net and we'll discuss the other options later. I know his goalscoring record is second to none at Liverpool but these past few weeks he's tried to be too flashy when scoring. And his all round game has been very disappointing. Deserved to be on the bench after the Beskitas game.

Toure - he's the cult hero. He meant business towards the end to by chucking his gloves off :laugh:

Special mention to the boss as well on this one. He showed balls not to pick a recognised forward and if it went tits up, he'd of copped a lot of flack so he deserves the praise for having the bollocks to not pick Sturridge or Balotelli when neither deserved it after the game on Thursday. Could of very easily not picked Sterling as well for that matter.

Anyway, made up here. I'm off out to get leathered now, a sore head in work tomorrow but it'll be well worth it.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #513: Mar 01, 2015 08:32:06 pm
      Special mention to the boss as well on this one. He showed balls not to pick a recognised forward and if it went tits up, he'd of copped a lot of flack so he deserves the praise for having the bollocks to not pick Sturridge or Balotelli when neither deserved it after the game on Thursday. Could of very easily not picked Sterling as well for that matter.
      This mate , To leave Studge wallow took big balls and the way he played when he came on today Rodgers should bench him for a while more , pure frustrating he is along with Sterling , no end product .

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #514: Mar 01, 2015 09:42:04 pm
      Now the following question comes up :

What you've preferred ? Qualifying for the last 16 in Europa League and losing against City or this ? I'll gladly take the 2nd option.

Pretty sure there is no rule that prevents winning two games in the same week.

Back to today and I missed the game but delighted with the result. I said before the game that it was a strange line up but maybe Brendan had somethning up his sleeve to get a result and I'm guessing it worked out like that.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #515: Mar 01, 2015 09:55:49 pm
      Why on earth is that a logical question? As if winning midweek would somehow preclude his winning today?

Moronic.

IF you had to choose between those hypothetical results, what you would have choosen ?

Of course ideal would have been winning on thrusday also, but i'm happy in turned out like this, maybe playing too many games in such a short period wouldnt have helped us in the run for UCL places.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #516: Mar 01, 2015 10:00:40 pm
      What. A. F***ing. Result.
      Well done Redmen.

Coutinho, the little magician, worldie.

Bring the noise!
      RedWilly

• 9,177 posts | 1630 
      Reply #517: Mar 01, 2015 10:23:05 pm
      IF you had to choose between those hypothetical results, what you would have choosen ?

Of course ideal would have been winning on thrusday also, but i'm happy in turned out like this, maybe playing too many games in such a short period wouldnt have helped us in the run for UCL places.

Yes I'm sure Lovren sticking his pen in and us going on to win on Thursday would have meant certain defeat today. Pointless debate.

What's Brendan's record now against the big clubs, he's had a few good wins against them now? (Chelsea, Arsenal, Manc clubs, spurs).

Think the only one we haven't done it against is Chelsea.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #518: Mar 01, 2015 10:26:54 pm
      That will come , we were the better on both legs of the league cup , outclassed the pricks we did .

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #519: Mar 01, 2015 10:26:55 pm
      The point was, maybe that match lost was a blessing in disguise for our EPL season.

Don't want in any circumstances the scum finishing above us.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #520: Mar 01, 2015 10:45:11 pm
      Yes I'm sure Lovren sticking his pen in and us going on to win on Thursday would have meant certain defeat today. Pointless debate.

What's Brendan's record now against the big clubs, he's had a few good wins against them now? (Chelsea, Arsenal, Manc clubs, spurs).

That's gonna come when we F**k them over at the Bridge to cause their Title chase to crash. I can feel it in my bones.

It's their turn to slip up and oh are we never gonna let those cu*ts forget it.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #521: Mar 01, 2015 11:30:11 pm
      Chuffed with that well done to the boys and Brendan.

Was listening to Mark Bosnich at half time and he mentioned it was the best first half of football he has seen anywhere in the world this season, and I agree with that.

Phillipe what a goal that was 6 out of 6 from Saints and Shitty brilliant that.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #522: Mar 01, 2015 11:32:06 pm
      Impressed with the pressing today. Pretty good performance all around.

If we're aiming for perfection then I thought Lovren and Mignolet made a couple of errors mainly in positioning.

Joe Allen fair play - looks like he is taking his opportunity in the side. One thing I will say about Rodgers is that he seems to have the players really respecting the squad system. Not an easy task with player's egos.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #523: Mar 01, 2015 11:54:01 pm
      What a game this was my son,what a F***ing game.Two amazing goals from two wonderful players,i fully enjoyed this game and i think this was our best game in this season.We were the better team during the whole game and we totally deserved this victory.I was a bit disapointed with Sterlings finishing in both halfes and with Sturidges missed 1 on 1 chance.But when i put this to side this was a great game.Good job lads.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #524: Mar 02, 2015 02:05:33 am
      Was listening to Mark Bosnich at half time and he mentioned it was the best first half of football he has seen anywhere in the world this season, and I agree with that.

He's watched pretty much every televised game in Australia this year (across all competitions across the world) and to say that is a big thing.

And i agree with him, as well. Both sides brought their best in that first half. It was entertaining and tactical. Two high quality teams going at it.

Understandably we made some changes to our style in the second and could not have played it better. Can't wait to watch the replay tonight.

Can't stop watching our goals on repeat. Both of them are just simply perfect. The technique, the accuracy, the curve, the power - Hart had no chance.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #525: Mar 02, 2015 03:49:08 am
      He's watched pretty much every televised game in Australia this year (across all competitions across the world) and to say that is a big thing.

And i agree with him, as well. Both sides brought their best in that first half. It was entertaining and tactical. Two high quality teams going at it.

Understandably we made some changes to our style in the second and could not have played it better. Can't wait to watch the replay tonight.

Can't stop watching our goals on repeat. Both of them are just simply perfect. The technique, the accuracy, the curve, the power - Hart had no chance.

Did you see the celebrations after the Coutinho goal?..Coutinho slides on his knees, Hendo runs over congratulates him, gets up, everyone jumps on and squashes Couts flat, Markovich runs over, Hendo gives him a high 5 and starts walking back to the centre pumped and everyone is still squashing Phillipe.

Was pissing my self laughing.  :lmao:

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #526: Mar 02, 2015 05:14:33 am

Would have thought the same had the midweek game been in the CL rather than the EL ?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #527: Mar 02, 2015 05:18:47 am
      The point was, maybe that match lost was a blessing in disguise for our EPL season.

Don't want in any circumstances the scum finishing above us.

So you'd forsake ANY silverware in order to finish 1 place above the scum, charming!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #528: Mar 02, 2015 06:47:53 am

Agree on all fronts mate will be a joy watching the "Sunday review show" tonight.

Quick Reply