Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Can
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      15 (9.7%)
      Allen
      36 (23.2%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lallana
      5 (3.2%)
      Sterling
      3 (1.9%)
      Coutinho
      95 (61.3%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      K Touré
      1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Liverpool 2:1 Man City, In game and post match debate.

Read 37987 times
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Re: Liverpool 2:1 Man City, In game and post match debate.
      Reply #529: Mar 02, 2015 07:38:59 am
      Went with Allen for MOTM. Could have been Coutinho, Lallana, Henderson but I think Allen's possession and passing in the midfield really set us up to dominate possession.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts | 60 
      Reply #530: Mar 02, 2015 08:06:06 am
      Great result against a very good team,went for Coutinho motm,not just the goal he was a threat everytime he had the ball,we played like champions,and had it not been for a poor first half of the season we would be there or thereabouts for the title again this season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #531: Mar 02, 2015 09:24:34 am
      Well that was so enjoyable I'm going to watch the whole match again at 10am.

So many good performances that it would be petty to single out anyone for an odd mistake here or there as this was as near to a perfect team performance we've seen for a while. 

Went for little Joe as my MotM, he was superb at controlling the midfield and those quick, one touch passes were sublime.  The way he outmanouvered those big, lumbering, phyiscal City players was a joy to watch.

And the goals, well they were just WOW! 

Great game, great team performance, great tactics, great win.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #532: Mar 02, 2015 09:33:29 am

Toure - he's the cult hero. He meant business towards the end to by chucking his gloves off :laugh:

Gloves, I thought shin guards. This is due to poor streaming :)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #533: Mar 02, 2015 10:14:28 am
      Went for little Joe as my MotM, he was superb at controlling the midfield and those quick, one touch passes were sublime.  The way he outmanouvered those big, lumbering, phyiscal City players was a joy to watch.

You know, that was the one thing I was worried about. The thought of little Joe being surrounded by the ginormous Yaya and Fernandinho had me sh*tting me pants, but he handled the responsibility well. I have been very critical of him, but that was an excellent performance.

Question is, does he keep his place when Lucas gets back? We know Lucas takes a while to get into the stride of things after a long injury, and there aren't that long to go until end of season, so do we stick with Allen?

I wouldn't want us to think that somehow this addresses the issue of a lack of a dominating DM,  I still say move Can up alongside Hendo next season and either get a CB to replace Lovren if he's not consistent, or get Lovren playing regularly. Can will be much more consustent and threatening than Allen.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #534: Mar 02, 2015 10:22:25 am
      watched LIVE and re-watched the game(highlights) on sky 
       Nevuille was the co-commentator for it,
       he was all the time   refering to how city were playinmg 'bad' and not how LIVERPOOL were good, save at the end of the match
       I am sure he was praying  city score  c*nt

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #535: Mar 02, 2015 10:33:30 am
      You know, that was the one thing I was worried about. The thought of little Joe being surrounded by the ginormous Yaya and Fernandinho had me sh*tting me pants, but he handled the responsibility well. I have been very critical of him, but that was an excellent performance.

Question is, does he keep his place when Lucas gets back? We know Lucas takes a while to get into the stride of things after a long injury, and there aren't that long to go until end of season, so do we stick with Allen?

I wouldn't want us to think that somehow this addresses the issue of a lack of a dominating DM,  I still say move Can up alongside Hendo next season and either get a CB to replace Lovren if he's not consistent, or get Lovren playing regularly. Can will be much more consustent and threatening than Allen.

I think there's a place and a need for both mate.  Neither detract from our creativity as that's not their role but Lucas is slightly more defensive than Joe so I'm not sure another DM is needed if Lucas stays.

Whether Lucas plays again this season really depends on whether Joe can stay fit I'd guess and also how long Lucas is actually out.   
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #536: Mar 02, 2015 10:59:28 am
      What a game. Very impressive playing with such a tempo after the congestion of games we've had recently. We were really up for this and wanted it more than City. Simple as that really.

First half Mignolet looked dodgy. He wouldn't come off his line which caused a few nervous moments. Lovrens passing was awful too, always looking to go long and more often than not gave possession back to City.

Second half they both improved. Lovren kept his passing short and along the floor and Mignolet restored his confidence.

Markovic is a bad bad shithouse and needs to grow a pair the little fairy. Once is bad enough but there were at least three times he backed out of a tackle yesterday.

Apart from those three it was a faultless performance really.

Credit to Joe Allen. If it wasn't for Coutinhos brilliance then he would have been MOTM. Thought Allen and Henderson bossed the midfield yesterday which isn't easy against City. Coutinho is some player though, he gets better and better each week.

Bring on Burnley.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #537: Mar 02, 2015 11:00:21 am
      I think there's a place and a need for both mate.  Neither detract from our creativity as that's not their role but Lucas is slightly more defensive than Joe so I'm not sure another DM is needed if Lucas stays.

Whether Lucas plays again this season really depends on whether Joe can stay fit I'd guess and also how long Lucas is actually out.

As a team we should be continually looking to improve the squad. Find someone better than Lucas, Lucas becomes second choice, Allen leaves the club. Find someone better than the last guy and Lucas leaves. It should be the natural order of things in Football. As our European adventure showed this year, we're in desperate need of more experience in this side.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #538: Mar 02, 2015 11:06:32 am
      As a team we should be continually looking to improve the squad. Find someone better than Lucas, Lucas becomes second choice, Allen leaves the club. Find someone better than the last guy and Lucas leaves. It should be the natural order of things in Football. As our European adventure showed this year, we're in desperate need of more experience in this side.

Agreed but there are other areas of the pitch that need upgrading first unless as I said, if Lucas leaves.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #539: Mar 02, 2015 11:37:20 am
      Just learnt that Ibe is out for 4 weeks 

Thats a real disappointment. I would have loved him take on Young and Gibbs later this month
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #540: Mar 02, 2015 11:41:37 am

this is what we need massively!

1 or possibly 2 big money 25 year old quality signings... £30m plus
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #541: Mar 02, 2015 11:49:33 am
      Agreed but there are other areas of the pitch that need upgrading first unless as I said, if Lucas leaves.

Do you know what though, there isn't much I would change in the summer. Think we still need to offload 2 out of three of Balo, Borini and Lambert and get a top striker, and depending on how Lovren goes until end of season, bring in a quality CB. Can't think of any other areas where there is an obvious gap. If Markovic and Moreno aren't performing, we got Ibe and Flanno to come in. We're very close to a perfectly balanced squad. Striker striker striker...that's the only pressing issue.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #542: Mar 02, 2015 12:01:01 pm
      Do you know what though, there isn't much I would change in the summer. Think we still need to offload 2 out of three of Balo, Borini and Lambert and get a top striker, and depending on how Lovren goes until end of season, bring in a quality CB. Can't think of any other areas where there is an obvious gap. If Markovic and Moreno aren't performing, we got Ibe and Flanno to come in. We're very close to a perfectly balanced squad. Striker striker striker...that's the only pressing issue.

And a better back up keeper and I'm with you mate.  There'll be a few to go in the summer but if we're sticking with the 343 set up, weirdly more of our current players fit better than they would in a 433 or other formations.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #543: Mar 02, 2015 12:17:30 pm
      No pressing from the City team.
      I was surprised how much space Coutinho and Henderson were allowed.
      Surprised and bloody delighted.

On another day Lallana could have been hunting down a hattrick.
      Some of his first touches were world class. #technician

Against mcfc yesterday:
      Lallana 11.9km
      Allen 11.6km
      Henderson 11.4km
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #544: Mar 02, 2015 12:29:08 pm

On another day Lallana could have been hunting down a hattrick.
      Some of his first touches were world class. #technician

Against mcfc yesterday:
      Lallana 11.9km
      Allen 11.6km
      Henderson 11.4km

Pity he was Offside for the 1st half disallowed goal
       the 1st touch and flick to score from that angle were world class material
      YNWA

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #545: Mar 02, 2015 12:40:53 pm
      No pressing from the City team.
      I was surprised how much space Coutinho and Henderson were allowed.
      Surprised and bloody delighted.

It's the system mate, it's a very difficult system for other teams to cope with. With Hendo and Allen lying deep to mark Silva and Nasri when defending, but move up the field when attacking. The extra CB always moves up to deny one of them space with the FBs covering if those two are out of position. If Yaya and Fernandinho try to mark Hendo and Allen, they create space behind for Couts and Lallana to exploit. If their defence move up to mark Couts and Lallana, they leave Sterling loads of space to exploit and if they stay back, Hendo and Allen move up with the FBs to stretch them, hence the whole team was almost permanently pegged back.

It's a very clever little system and strategy BR has come up with and we have to give him credit for that. Having said that, I did feel City looked off pace and not hungry enough. Aguero was the only one who looked up for the fight.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #546: Mar 02, 2015 12:47:42 pm
      What a day to be a Red! Quite possibly BR's best victory as we dominated the defending champions. Also, 8 out of the starting 11 are BR's transfer acquisitions. Only Skrtel, Hendo and Sterling were not, although I'm willing to say Sterling is very much a product of BR. MIgs was much better in 2nd half. Skrtel was a rock, and is the best CB in the League right now IMO. Lovren really settled in the 2nd half, and hopefully has come into his own in that back 3. Hendo: what a stunner. And Allen had the best game in an LFC shirt. Was everywhere, and kept the game flowing for us. He was MOTM until Couts hit that wonder of a goal. He was already unstoppable with the ball, and cemented his impact on City. Seems like only yesterday his biggest criticism was not putting anything on frame. Now look at him. Lallana is an absolute workhorse, and such a versatile player. I love watching him play, and is so much more effective in that position than Sterling, whose energy is great but his decision making and even simple link-up passing seems to be getting worse game by game. I know people are saying he had 2 assists, but lets be honest, any player on the field could have made those 5 yard passes. He certainly isn't playing like a player that who should be on such a high contract. If anything, Couts is and is showing he is the real heartbeat of this club. Studge needs to stop being so cute and just shoot the damn ball. And Markovic...reverting to old form. We have some really big games ahead of us with top 4 (top 2 IMO) implications. Need to keep the press going...that is the key.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #547: Mar 02, 2015 03:48:00 pm
      11 pages...things dont change, haha. Had we lost we would be looking at 67.
      One of the best Coutinho matches ive seen, all around, even if you take his goal out of the equation.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #548: Mar 02, 2015 04:26:47 pm
      Still BUZZIN,
      What a performance that was, I'm walking around with a massive grin, ppl giving me odd looks,

Last season a cocky Arsenal side came to Anfield and we tore them a new one, performance of that season IMO,
      Yesterday the Champions came to Anfield and we battered them, we didn't just batter them, we anihilated them, humiliated them and sent them back home with a brand new shiny arsehole,

We were quite simply brilliant, City just couldn't cope with the system Brendan has us playing, I knew we were going to win when the teams were announced, our 343, against their 442, they played right into our hands,

All our players were fantastic, everyone, of course stand outs were Coutinho obviously, Hendo, Lallana, Can, Skrtle, but special mention goes to wee Joe Allen, I thought his performance was outstanding, his best yet IMO
      Brendan got pelters after Thursday for his team selection, but his players let him down if I'm honest, but F**k me , did they make up for it or what ?

That performance yesterday our best yet is just the tip of the iceberg, just imagine where we'd be now had we not had such a slow start,?

Now teams are looking over their shoulders at us, we've played Spuds, Saints & Shitty all of them above us and we have best them all convincingly.
      Only Arse , Scum & Chavski sit above us and who we play soon and I'm telling you now we will not lose to any, especially Mancs, can't f***in wait to do them,

We have our fear back, nobody will relish playing us now,  BELIEVE IT ,

Q, can we get top 4 ?
      A, we will piss it !

My Q is,

From now ...

Can we go to the end unbeaten ?

What was it that Bob the builder said. ?

YNWA
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #549: Mar 02, 2015 04:49:36 pm
      Still BUZZIN,
      What a performance that was, I'm walking around with a massive grin, ppl giving me odd looks,

Last season a cocky Arsenal side came to Anfield and we tore them a new one, performance of that season IMO,
      Yesterday the Champions came to Anfield and we battered them, we didn't just batter them, we anihilated them, humiliated them and sent them back home with a brand new shiny arsehole,

We were quite simply brilliant, City just couldn't cope with the system Brendan has us playing, I knew we were going to win when the teams were announced, our 343, against their 442, they played right into our hands,

All our players were fantastic, everyone, of course stand outs were Coutinho obviously, Hendo, Lallana, Can, Skrtle, but special mention goes to wee Joe Allen, I thought his performance was outstanding, his best yet IMO
      Brendan got pelters after Thursday for his team selection, but his players let him down if I'm honest, but f**k me , did they make up for it or what ?

That performance yesterday our best yet is just the tip of the iceberg, just imagine where we'd be now had we not had such a slow start,?

Now teams are looking over their shoulders at us, we've played Spuds, Saints & Shitty all of them above us and we have best them all convincingly.
      Only Arse , Scum & Chavski sit above us and who we play soon and I'm telling you now we will not lose to any, especially Mancs, can't f***in wait to do them,

We have our fear back, nobody will relish playing us now,  BELIEVE IT ,

Q, can we get top 4 ?
      A, we will piss it !

My Q is,

From now ...

Can we go to the end unbeaten ?

What was it that Bob the builder said. ?

YNWA

YES WE CAN
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #550: Mar 02, 2015 05:44:32 pm
      Very surprised by City. Just watched the whole game again, we needed Yaya to play - as he does F**k all defensively. You have to take your hat off to BR....I looked at their team sheet and thought - they have their strongest possible line-up.
      It goes to show that names mean F**k all....

COUTINO  - o - o - o....

Barca will be in for him for a billion pounds in the summer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #551: Mar 02, 2015 07:44:24 pm
      What a fantastic result that was! I honestly thought we were going to lose having gone to extra time on Thursday but you wouldn't have thought that was the case! We pressed them throughout and completely shut out Yaya Toure and David Silva.

We got very lucky that Aguero hit the post and put one just wide or it might have been a different story but other than that and the goal I can't remember any real threat from them.

Two stunning goals as well, fantastic result and good to see us climb the table again. Not forgetting that we actually had the ball in their net 4 times but for the offside flag, Lallana finished both chances very well, just a shame they didn't count.

Quick Reply