Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Major League Soccer

Read 107588 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Re: Major League Soccer
      Reply #184: Nov 03, 2015 02:54:00 pm
      Steven Gerrard says he may retire in 2016, LA Galaxy were knocked out of the Major League Soccer play off by Seattle last week.
      Steven said ''it could be my last season as a footballer. I certainly don't want to feel like I'm feeling right now come next year''.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34710492
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #185: Nov 03, 2015 03:02:34 pm
      Steven Gerrard says he may retire in 2016, LA Galaxy were knocked out of the Major League Soccer play off by Seattle last week.
      Steven said ''it could be my last season as a footballer. I certainly don't want to feel like I'm feeling right now come next year''.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34710492

And he looked quite lethargic and poor in the final weeks of the season too.

"Going on the road, playing on [artificial] turf, playing at altitude, playing in humidity, those are the hurdles that I've had to face over the last three months that I wasn't aware of. Every away game has a different challenge."

And that's one thing that makes MLS a unique league. Welcome to North American soccer, Stevie :laugh:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #186: Nov 03, 2015 03:07:11 pm
      And he looked quite lethargic and poor in the final weeks of the season too.

"Going on the road, playing on [artificial] turf, playing at altitude, playing in humidity, those are the hurdles that I've had to face over the last three months that I wasn't aware of. Every away game has a different challenge."

And that's one thing that makes MLS a unique league. Welcome to North American soccer, Stevie :laugh:

Does sound as tho our man has had his fill of N. American soccer.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #187: Nov 03, 2015 04:55:05 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #188: Nov 09, 2015 11:08:27 am
      I only watched about 50 minutes of the FC Dallas - Seattle game but from what I did see I think the right time went through over the two legs. Advice to anybody who may want to re-watch it, skip to the 75th minute for the game to become fun, it was so one-sided.

Coming into the game FC Dallas were trailing by Seattle's 2 goals to their 1 but they had an away goal. As expected, Dallas had the most possession, the most attempts and the most attempts on target. At times it looked like Seattle were trying to settle for a 0-0 draw - which would see them go through - but their poor marking late on cost them and they went 1-0 down after about 83 minutes. Needing a goal Seattle decided to go on the attack and managed to equalise in the 90th minute thanks to a Chad Marshall header from a Marco Pappa corner (we should hire him to teach our lot how to take corners). What was evident from the minute FC Dallas scored is that - no matter what score it was from there on in - this game would not involve any game management from either team. Both teams were going to go out fighting and whilst that can be fun to watch, it was also very irritating to watch. Aren't you told to run the game out once you have got the desired scoreline late on? Even as an amateur you're told to run the game out once you get into a winning position late on.

In the end it proved costly to Seattle as they were wide open at the back, they conceded a corner in the 92nd minute and that's when I saw literally THE WORST defending on a corner I've ever seen (worse than ours) which resulted in a goal to take the game to extra-time. By this time both teams had bottled it so much that I have to wonder what sort of coaching they're getting.

The game went to extra-time but I didn't watch it. The penalty shoot out was basically a one-sided affair as Seattle were shocking. FC Dallas won the penalty shoot out and go through to play Portland Timbers in the Western Conference Championship.

Game stats:
      FC Dallas: Shots (on target) 25(10) - Tackles 20 - Fouls 14 - Possession 56%
      Seattle Sounders: Shots (on target) 9(3)- Tackles 21 - Fouls 17 - Possession 44%
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #189: Nov 09, 2015 03:11:22 pm
      I only watched about 50 minutes of the FC Dallas - Seattle game but from what I did see I think the right time went through over the two legs. Advice to anybody who may want to re-watch it, skip to the 75th minute for the game to become fun, it was so one-sided.

Coming into the game FC Dallas were trailing by Seattle's 2 goals to their 1 but they had an away goal. As expected, Dallas had the most possession, the most attempts and the most attempts on target. At times it looked like Seattle were trying to settle for a 0-0 draw - which would see them go through - but their poor marking late on cost them and they went 1-0 down after about 83 minutes. Needing a goal Seattle decided to go on the attack and managed to equalise in the 90th minute thanks to a Chad Marshall header from a Marco Pappa corner (we should hire him to teach our lot how to take corners). What was evident from the minute FC Dallas scored is that - no matter what score it was from there on in - this game would not involve any game management from either team. Both teams were going to go out fighting and whilst that can be fun to watch, it was also very irritating to watch. Aren't you told to run the game out once you have got the desired scoreline late on? Even as an amateur you're told to run the game out once you get into a winning position late on.

In the end it proved costly to Seattle as they were wide open at the back, they conceded a corner in the 92nd minute and that's when I saw literally THE WORST defending on a corner I've ever seen (worse than ours) which resulted in a goal to take the game to extra-time. By this time both teams had bottled it so much that I have to wonder what sort of coaching they're getting.

The game went to extra-time but I didn't watch it. The penalty shoot out was basically a one-sided affair as Seattle were shocking. FC Dallas won the penalty shoot out and go through to play Portland Timbers in the Western Conference Championship.

Game stats:
      FC Dallas: Shots (on target) 25(10) - Tackles 20 - Fouls 14 - Possession 56%
      Seattle Sounders: Shots (on target) 9(3)- Tackles 21 - Fouls 17 - Possession 44%

I watched 3 MLS games yesterday, two went to extra time. All were very entertaining, if a bit light on some of the skill you'd like to see. The NY/DC United game was really sloppy, looked almost like a Sunday league.

Columbus and FC Dallas games were both pretty entertaining.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #190: Nov 09, 2015 06:15:23 pm
      The better teams went through in all matches. As much as I'm not a big fan of the playoff system, you can't deny how entertaining and exciting the matches were. Dallas is particularly exciting given how young they are -- starting GK is 20!

New York v Columbus
      Dallas v Portland

Reckon it will be No. 1 vs No. 2 for the title, so RBNY and Dallas. Should be great.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #191: Nov 12, 2015 12:09:46 pm
      No more heading: US Soccer unveils new concussion protocol for youth soccer

Following 15 months of litigation, U.S. Soccer announced on Monday a brand new series of initiatives designed to reduce the number of concussions suffered by youth soccer players, including the limitation and/or outright banning of heading the ball for players under the age of 13.

Per the new protocol, children 10 and under will be barred from heading the ball during any official session — practice or game — while players ages 11 to 13 will be allowed to head the ball during games only.

The United States Soccer Federation and the other youth member defendants, with input from counsel for the plaintiffs, have developed a sweeping youth soccer initiative designed to (a) improve concussion awareness and education among youth coaches, referees, parents and players; (b) implement more uniform concussion management and return-to-play protocols for youth players suspected of having suffered a concussion; (c) modify the substitution rules to insure such rules do not serve as an impediment to the evaluation of players who may have suffered a concussion during games; and (d) eliminate heading for children 10 and under and limit heading in practice for children between the ages of 11 and 13. The complete details of the initiative along with a more comprehensive player safety campaign will be announced by U.S. Soccer in the next 30 days.

Steve Berman, lead counsel for the plaintiffs said: “We filed this litigation in effort to focus the attention of U.S. Soccer and its youth member organizations on the issue of concussions in youth soccer. With the development of the youth concussion initiative by U.S. Soccer and its youth members, we feel we have accomplished our primary goal and, therefore, do not see any need to continue the pursuit of the litigation. We are pleased that we were able to play a role in improving the safety of the sport for soccer-playing children in this country.”

The big question that immediately springs to mind is: how will these new restrictions on heading be enforced at the youth level, which is such a widespread community across the entirety of the U.S.? Another possible outcome to the banning/limiting of headers could see young American players grow much more comfortable operating with the ball at their feet from an early age, thus improving the quality of players coming through the system the next 10, 15 and 20 years.

From the New York Times: "According to the original filing in the case, nearly 50,000 high school soccer players sustained concussions in 2010 — more players than in baseball, basketball, softball and wrestling combined."

Former U.S. national team and Major League Soccer striker Taylor Twellman, whose professional career was cut short by a series of concussions and never-ending post-concussion symptoms, was one of the first figures from “inside the game” to speak out and voice his approval on Monday.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/11/09/no-more-heading-us-soccer-unveils-new-concussion-protocol-for-youth-soccer/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #192: Nov 23, 2015 06:55:30 pm
      Conference finals first leg:

Portland 3-1 Dallas
      Columbus 2-0 New York

Yeah, definitely not what I was expecting. Dallas-RBNY was my thinking going into the first legs, but they each have a mountain to climb now. A Portland-Columbus would be a different final, that's for sure.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #193: Nov 23, 2015 07:41:29 pm
      Conference finals first leg:

Portland 3-1 Dallas
      Columbus 2-0 New York

Yeah, definitely not what I was expecting. Dallas-RBNY was my thinking going into the first legs, but they each have a mountain to climb now. A Portland-Columbus would be a different final, that's for sure.

Pulling for the Crew (grew up about 2 hours from Columbus).
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #194: Nov 23, 2015 07:59:52 pm
      Pulling for the Crew (grew up about 2 hours from Columbus).

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Makes a lot of sense now :laugh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #195: Nov 23, 2015 08:21:21 pm
      And another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Makes a lot of sense now :laugh:

Well.....I didn't tell you what direction...that makes a HUGE difference as well ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #196: Nov 23, 2015 08:59:40 pm
      Well.....I didn't tell you what direction...that makes a HUGE difference as well ;D

;D fair point!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #197: Nov 24, 2015 04:45:27 pm
      Chicago just hired Veljko Paunovic as its new manager. He just won the U20 World Cup managing Serbia a few months back.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #198: Nov 30, 2015 06:51:10 pm
      Final is all set: Portland AT Columbus. Should be a great match. Portland already sold 1,000 tickets within 3 minutes of being available!
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #199: Dec 01, 2015 12:15:00 am
      Final is all set: Portland AT Columbus. Should be a great match. Portland already sold 1,000 tickets within 3 minutes of being available!

I am cheering for Portland to win it.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #200: Dec 01, 2015 03:38:02 pm
      I am cheering for Portland to win it.

Me too. Tremendous fans.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #201: Dec 01, 2015 04:29:00 pm
      Rooting for Columbus. :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #202: Dec 06, 2015 09:29:59 pm
      Portland are up 1-0 within 30 seconds! Goalkeeping howler from Steve Clark :laugh:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #203: Dec 06, 2015 09:46:00 pm
      Holy F**k, it's Columbus 1-2 Portland in the 20th minute. Goalkeeper errors all over the place!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #204: Dec 07, 2015 12:44:29 am
      That was Portland's first MLS Cup and, if I'm not mistaken, Portland's first championship in any sport since 1977. Very happy for them. Such a great fanbase.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #205: Dec 07, 2015 12:56:44 am
      Glad to see Portland Timbers win the game.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #206: Dec 07, 2015 11:59:53 am
      I'm drunk. ROSE CITY TIL I DIE MOTHERFUCKERS!

Quick Reply