Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Major League Soccer

Read 109238 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Major League Soccer
      Reply #253: Mar 12, 2016 10:06:41 pm
      Just coming to the end of the first half, scoreline currently stands at 1-1 after Salt Lake just equalised shortly before half time.

Salt Lake
      Man are these lads a bunch of moaning fuckers. Every tackle against them in their eyes deserves some sort of card, it's ridiculous. They have one guy called Sunny in the middle of the park who looks really good and reminds me of a poor mans Kante. He closes everything down, gets stuck in and even has the odd eye for a goal (scored a beauty of a header in this half).

They've created a few really good opportunities in the first half and maybe should have taken more of them than they have done. I don't rate their full backs at all, Seattle obviously see it as a weak spot in their system and I see why. They can't deal with the pace coming at them but lucky for them Seattle aren't pairing the full backs up with the wingers so it's mostly one-on-one stuff so far.

Seattle
      Like RSL, they've created some great opportunities, a few more clear cut ones than RSL too. I quite like the look of Jones at LB. He's not the best but he looks good in attack. He's terrorising their right back whenever he runs forward as his pace causes problems. He produced a really good cross which resulted in the opening goal of the game. You can see that Dempsey is missing the partnership with Martins, there were 2 or 3 times in the first half where Valdes had the option of turning and playing Dempsey in first time but he either laid it back to Ivanschitz or he played it out wide in the opposite direction.

Seattle seem relatively settled positional wise when in possession but are at 6's and 7's when they quickly lose it and find themselves on the back foot. They need to slow things down a little and realise they're the away team, not the favourites and should stop rushing everything.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #254: Mar 12, 2016 10:59:33 pm
      RSL have taken the lead with 5 minutes to go. Seattle are going to need to bring in a DP attacker very soon or they're going to be in trouble. Their attack doesn't seem good enough to challenge for the MLS Cup that's for sure.

RSL are one lucky team. They conned the ref into giving the free kick which ended up producing the goal which helped them take the lead. It's been a bit of a silly game to watch on the whole, they've done nothing but foul each other, dive and lose possession. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #255: Mar 13, 2016 05:33:05 pm
      I know it's only 2 games in, but Montreal are looking very solid this year. Trading for Harry Shipp will prove to be a great move for them, plus Drogba will be back in a few weeks as well.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #256: Mar 14, 2016 06:09:57 pm
      MLS Week 2

Orlando 1-1 Chicago
      New England 0-0 DC
      Montreal 3-0 New York Red Bulls
      Salt Lake 2-1 Seattle
      Colorado 1-0 Los Angeles
      Columbus 1-2 Philadelphia
      Houston 5-0 Dallas
      Kansas City 2-1 Vancouver
      New York City 2-2 Toronto
      San Jose 2-1 Portland

Like I said the other day, Montreal have been hugely impressive through the first two fixtures. Piatti is one to watch for them.

No way I would have expected RBNY, COlumbus and Seattle to all still be without a point -- but that's part of the charm of MLS, I suppose.

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/709170052616970240
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #257: Mar 14, 2016 07:45:12 pm
      MLS Week 2

Orlando 1-1 Chicago
      New England 0-0 DC
      Montreal 3-0 New York Red Bulls
      Salt Lake 2-1 Seattle
      Colorado 1-0 Los Angeles
      Columbus 1-2 Philadelphia
      Houston 5-0 Dallas
      Kansas City 2-1 Vancouver
      New York City 2-2 Toronto
      San Jose 2-1 Portland

Like I said the other day, Montreal have been hugely impressive through the first two fixtures. Piatti is one to watch for them.

No way I would have expected RBNY, COlumbus and Seattle to all still be without a point -- but that's part of the charm of MLS, I suppose.

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/709170052616970240

About 16 seconds in....who knew there were so many fat guys in California?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #258: Mar 14, 2016 08:39:45 pm
      I was watching that San Jose game last night and I said as soon as he hit it "that's going in" :D Was just one of those efforts where it was too good to not result in a goal. I've seen some very good games in the first 2 weeks of the season, hopefully that continues. Loved the NYC vs TOR game too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #259: Apr 04, 2016 11:35:42 am
      Brek Shea's goal against Portland last night, wow!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #260: Apr 05, 2016 12:26:06 am
      Portland have started the season woefully. That loss yesterday was 50 shades of F***ing awful.

So, just like last year. Cup winning form 8)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #261: May 04, 2016 10:41:26 pm
      Been some fantastic goals so far this season
      The standard may not be top class but in terms of entertainment and impressive goals, the mls is grand this year
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #262: May 04, 2016 10:52:29 pm
      I've not got into it this year. It's pissing me off that the same 3 or 4 teams are on Sky Sports every weekend so the rest get ignored.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #263: May 22, 2016 01:39:48 pm
      New York hit by football hooliganism as Red Bulls put Frank Lampard and Co. to the sword

Football violence erupted in New York ahead of a clash two fierce local rivals.

Fans of New York Red Bulls and New York City FC fought and hurled missiles at each other as police moved in to keep order at the stadium NYCFC shares with the New York Yankees baseball team.

According to some witnesses smoke bombs were also thrown as the fans gathered for the so-called 'Hudson River derby' which the Red Bulls went on to win 0-7.

In a match he and his team-mates would like to forget, Frank Lampard made his much-awaited 2016 debut for NYCFC as a substitute, after missing his team's first 12 games with a calf injury. He was roundly booed by fans.

It was revealed earlier this week that the former Chelsea midfielder earns $6m (£4.1m) - more than the entire Red Bulls squad.

The match had been delayed by 30 minutes because the FA Cup final 3,500 miles away had gone into extra time

The violence is the latest in a series of incidents which has triggered fears that as football grows, the country will also suffer the hooliganism which dogged the sport in the UK for decades.

The latest clashes will not help the growth of the soccer which has tried to create a family friendly image as tries to compete for support with baseball and other established American sports.

Last year the rival fans fought outside a bar in Newark, New Jersey, hurling sandwich boards at each other and adopting hooligan chants which were once commonplace in England. The would-be hooligans even adopted cod-British accents as they shouted “who are ya?”.

There have been reports of fighting on the US West Coast and as far back as 2008 visiting West Ham fans fought with supporters of Columbus Crew during a pre-season friendly.

The humiliating 7-0 defeat against the Red Bulls  equals the record for the heaviest defeat in Major League Soccer history.  The Los Angeles Galaxy beat the Dallas Burn 8-1 in 1998 while Chicago Fire beat the Kansas City Wizards 7-0 in 2001.

City, an affiliate of Premier League side Manchester City, have invested heavily in a squad featuring several veteran European stars including Andrea Pirlo, David Villa and Lampard.

Pirlo and Villa - who last week, with Lampard were anonymous as the Red Bulls ran riot before City's home fans at Yankee Stadium.

The Red Bulls seized the initiative after only three minutes with a goal from Dax McCarty.

Veteran English striker Bradley Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 three minutes before half-time, heading home at close range after superb work on the left flank by Mike Grella.

Wright-Phillips then grabbed an opportunistic second in first-half stoppage time, scoring with an overhead kick from eight yards out after City failed to clear a Grella cross.

Shell-shocked City manager Patrick Vieira described the opening 45 minutes as "a disaster" in comments at halftime.

"We didn't play at all," the French World Cup winner told Fox television.

But the second half continued in similar vein, McCarty making it 4-0 after 51 minutes, punishing slack marking in the City area to head home.

It got worse for City five minutes later when Alex Muyl blasted home from just inside the area after a deft layoff from Wright-Phillips. Gonzalo Veron headed in number six on 83 minutes before Gideon Baah scrambled home a seventh in the 89th minute.

Football has been growing in popularity in the US in recent years especially during the 2014 World Cup when Tim Howard, the goalkeeper, became a national hero when he saved the team from humiliation by Belgium with a string of saves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/new-york-hit-by-football-hooliganism-as-red-bulls-put-frank-lamp/

Seen the Red Bulls were 4-0 up on Sky last night, didn't know they'd snotted City 7-0 like.

Unbelievable that they delayed the match by 30 minutes because of the Cup Final  :laugh:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,507 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #264: May 22, 2016 02:00:11 pm
      Take out David villa and nycfc are utter sh*te
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #265: May 22, 2016 02:45:29 pm

Has Lampard even played for nycfc yet? :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #266: May 22, 2016 02:55:50 pm
      Has Lampard even played for nycfc yet? :D

Came on as a sub last night.

Don't forget Pirlo too!

Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #267: May 22, 2016 03:46:43 pm
      I was at the Chicago Fire game last night.  We got a win. It wasn't pretty but a win is a win.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #268: May 22, 2016 05:25:20 pm
      I was at the Chicago Fire game last night.  We got a win. It wasn't pretty but a win is a win.

Should've been about 2-0 or 3-0. The Fire's attack is abysmal this season. The defending is relatively solid though. That backline is actually function-able this season.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #269: May 22, 2016 05:44:14 pm
      Should've been about 2-0 or 3-0. The Fire's attack is abysmal this season. The defending is relatively solid though. That backline is actually function-able this season.

Completely agree. I think they are showing signs of improvement. Looking forward to the day we get back in the hunt for the trophy.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #270: May 23, 2016 12:21:27 am
      La Galaxy v San Jose Earthquakes "The Californian Clasico" as uttered then by this commentator on Sky.

Hahahaha what the F**k!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #271: May 23, 2016 12:34:31 am
      La Galaxy v San Jose Earthquakes "The Californian Clasico" as uttered then by this commentator on Sky.

Hahahaha what the f**k!!

Is this sh*t on Sky now? :O If so, i think i will sneak downstairs to watch it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #272: May 23, 2016 12:45:22 am
      Is this sh*t on Sky now? :O If so, i think i will sneak downstairs to watch it.

Yeah live, 25 mins in.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #273: May 23, 2016 10:06:17 am

Hahahaha what the f**k!!

I thought he was referring to a Wine.
      I have watched a few games well I tried I just cant get into it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #274: May 28, 2016 11:53:03 pm
      Two red cards in the Vancouver - Houston game, handbags and pushing after the refs decision.

A bit more like it!! Houston player looked a right nark :laugh:
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #275: Jul 09, 2016 04:29:04 pm
      My local pub stuck the revs game on after Germany/Italy emptied out,revs took a 2-0 lead then magnificently gave up 3 goals.

Quick Reply