Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Major League Soccer

Read 106304 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Major League Soccer
      Mar 06, 2015 02:15:02 pm
      Right, with the MLS starting this weekend, I think I'm gonna give it a try.

Here's a guide by Sly Sports for those interested:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9744867/dc-united-new-york-city-fc-or-portland-timbers-heres-our-team-by-team-guide

Anyone here watch MLS regularly? Is there a particular team that just attacks and doesn't care about defending? :D
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2015 07:22:33 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Major League Soccer
      Reply #1: Mar 06, 2015 05:45:55 pm
      Right, with the MLS starting this weekend, I think I'm gonna give it a try.

Here's a guild by Sly Sports for those interested:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9744867/dc-united-new-york-city-fc-or-portland-timbers-heres-our-team-by-team-guide

Anyone here watch MLS regularly? Is there a particular team that just attacks and doesn't care about defending? :D

I do! Of course, I live here and have season tickets to my local club.

And to answer your question: Nope, no team just out-and-out attacks ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2: Mar 06, 2015 06:10:32 pm
      I do! Of course, I live here and have season tickets to my local club.

And to answer your question: Nope, no team just out-and-out attacks ;D

Who's your local team mossy?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #3: Mar 06, 2015 06:11:29 pm

Chicago. We set a new league record for draws last season with 18 (EIGHTEEN!) haha
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4: Mar 06, 2015 06:12:44 pm
      Chicago. We set a new league record for draws last season with 18 (EIGHTEEN!) haha

Haha...

Who's their major players? How much is a season ticket out of interest?
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #5: Mar 06, 2015 06:20:49 pm

I follow the MLS as well. Chicago Fire is my local team. Hope they do better this year.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Mar 06, 2015 07:28:32 pm
      Difficult game away to LA Galaxy tomorrow!!! 

I'll be watching and rooting Chicago fire on :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #7: Mar 06, 2015 07:45:44 pm
      Haha...

Who's their major players? How much is a season ticket out of interest?

Season tickets are dirt cheap. I sit at midfield and it's about $500 USD a ticket, after taxes, for 17 home matches. Toyota Park, the Fire's stadium, doesn't have a single bad view. I used to sit in one of the corners for much cheaper and still had a good view.

Major players for the Fire are: keeper Sean Johnson (he'll be in playing in England in a few years I bet); AM/winger Harry Shipp (bright young talent); striker Mike Magee (once he's back from hip surgery).

They just signed 3 new players in Shaun Maloney (remember him at Wigan? ;D), David Accam and Kennedy Igboaninke. Accam seems the most promising as he's just on the cusp of making appearances for Ghana and was in their AFCON team.

Difficult game away to LA Galaxy tomorrow!!! 

I'll be watching and rooting Chicago fire on :D

Yessssssss!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #8: Mar 06, 2015 08:43:03 pm
      Season tickets are dirt cheap. I sit at midfield and it's about $500 USD a ticket, after taxes, for 17 home matches. Toyota Park, the Fire's stadium, doesn't have a single bad view. I used to sit in one of the corners for much cheaper and still had a good view.

Major players for the Fire are: keeper Sean Johnson (he'll be in playing in England in a few years I bet); AM/winger Harry Shipp (bright young talent); striker Mike Magee (once he's back from hip surgery).

They just signed 3 new players in Shaun Maloney (remember him at Wigan? ;D), David Accam and Kennedy Igboaninke. Accam seems the most promising as he's just on the cusp of making appearances for Ghana and was in their AFCON team.

Yessssssss!

Cheers mate.

At least that's gives me something to look out for.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Mar 06, 2015 11:35:32 pm
      I started watching MLS last season, I generally watched any match I had time for but I mostly watched Seattle Sounders purely because of Djimi Traore :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #10: Mar 07, 2015 01:10:24 pm
      LA 2-0 Chicago last night. We are sh*t. Woof what a tactical mess.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2015 01:26:42 pm
      Go TFC!

I'm curious to see how Giovinco is gonna work out for them
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2015 01:40:42 pm
      Go TFC!

I'm curious to see how Giovinco is gonna work out for them

I'm excited for Giovinco in the league. Kid has lots of talent and I'm expecting a good link-up with Michael Bradley. For as sh*t as Altidore was in the Prem, he was a beast in the Eredivisie and I expect he'll look good in MLS again like he did as a teenager.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: Mar 07, 2015 02:11:54 pm
      LA 2-0 Chicago last night. We are sh*t. Woof what a tactical mess.

Just watched the first goal of the season and Chicago's defence was a mess :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #14: Mar 07, 2015 06:34:40 pm
      Just watched the first goal of the season and Chicago's defence was a mess :D

That was a microcosm of how the Fire played last season. Every game. For 34 games ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15: Mar 07, 2015 11:46:35 pm
      Guess this thread encouraged me to watch a bit more MLS this season. Right now I'm watching the Canadian clash Vancouver vs Toronto and rooting for TFC.

Vancouver scored first with Rivero but then a very good play from TFC, started by Osorio, followed by a classy pass from Giovinco to Altidore and TFC are level, 1-1.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #16: Mar 08, 2015 01:42:40 am
      Solid 3-1 win for Toronto that. Of course, they opened the season last year with an upset in Seattle but just capitulated by season's end.

I almost forgot Owen Coyle is in charge of Houston. Such a character.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: Mar 08, 2015 03:23:43 am
      Die-hard Portland Timbers right here. Best atmosphere in the league, F**k those Flounder pretenders up north with their F***ing speakers and plastic atmosphere (I've been to a Seattle match so it aint just bias... but I'm biased 8) )

Been to a decent amount of games while I was there, lots of friends that regularly go. Hope to get back to Portland permanently some day and then you'll find me around the park regularly :D

Opener coming up right now against RSL, hopefully another successful home opening to kick off a great season!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Mar 08, 2015 06:01:16 pm
      Solid 3-1 win for Toronto that. Of course, they opened the season last year with an upset in Seattle but just capitulated by season's end.

Altidore isn't EPL material but should score lots in the MLS. Giovinco looked very good, and so did Pedro Morales for Vancouver, some very good passes from him. Toronto's defence was a bloody mess in the 1st half but they were much more solid in the 2nd half, less exposed to Vancouver's long ball.

Apparently I chose the right game to watch because there were not many goals in the other MLS matches.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #19: Mar 08, 2015 06:07:35 pm
      Die-hard Portland Timbers right here. Best atmosphere in the league, f**k those Flounder pretenders up north with their f**king speakers and plastic atmosphere (I've been to a Seattle match so it aint just bias... but I'm biased 8) )

Been to a decent amount of games while I was there, lots of friends that regularly go. Hope to get back to Portland permanently some day and then you'll find me around the park regularly :D

Opener coming up right now against RSL, hopefully another successful home opening to kick off a great season!

Believe me, nobody but Seattle fans and the league like Seattle. Check the #SeattleInvented hashtag on Twitter sometime. Chicago supporters have really had loads of fun with that one.

Altidore isn't EPL material but should score lots in the MLS. Giovinco looked very good, and so did Pedro Morales for Vancouver, some very good passes from him. Toronto's defence was a bloody mess in the 1st half but they were much more solid in the 2nd half, less exposed to Vancouver's long ball.

Apparently I chose the right game to watch because there were not many goals in the other MLS matches.

Yeah it was a good halftime adjustment by Toronto. Every team still looks in preseason form. The game to watch is Orlando-NYC if you can. First MLS matches for both, plus Kaka and Villa.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20: Mar 08, 2015 10:02:32 pm
      I'm really liking Orlando's football, but I guess having Kaka as the #10 helps :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Mar 09, 2015 12:42:41 am
      m. Toronto's defence was a bloody mess in the 1st half but they were much more solid in the 2nd half, less exposed to Vancouver's long ball.

Was a juicy challenge on Villa by Orlando's centre back which saw him see red too. Not sure why he was so surprised, Villa nearly only had 1 leg! Watching the Sporting Kansas vs NY Red Bulls game at the moment, Lloyd Sam equalised not long back with a great finish into the corner of the net.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #22: Mar 09, 2015 01:53:41 am
      Was a juicy challenge on Villa by Orlando's centre back which saw him see red too. Not sure why he was so surprised, Villa nearly only had 1 leg! Watching the Sporting Kansas vs NY Red Bulls game at the moment, Lloyd Sam equalised not long back with a great finish into the corner of the net.

Missed the Kansas vs NY Red Bulls game :( Was spending some time with the wife!!!

Quick Reply